or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 253

post #7561 of 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

^
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/04/copy-protection-means-some-directv-subs-will-need-new-gear-to-watch-hbo/

The HDMI outputs of the BDP-105 use HDCP to encrypt the digital audio and video content.The TV must support HDCP in order to decrypt and properly display the content.

Actually, part of the HDCP specs require that it be fully compliant with older displays that don't support it. The problem here is more likely due to the fact that the Oppo is telling the STB that it supports HDCP, but the connected display is not answering the handshake correctly. So its more about the complex HDMI chain than it is about the TV. If you connect that STB direct to the TV it should work OK.
post #7562 of 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

Thanks Dan.

If I understand your post correctly, the DirecTV message that the TV does not support the program's content protection arises not because the HD-DVR connects via HDMI to Oppo 105 but because the Oppo 105 connects via HDMI to an oder Sony VPL-50 projector. Is that correct? Is so, we need to watch HBO and Showtime on our 46 XBR8 until we buy a new projector. I assume whether a projector supports HDCP is listed in the specs.

db

If your projector has HDMI inputs -- real HDMI sockets, not something through an adapter -- then it should support HDCP (copy protection) as that's part of the HDMI requirements. You can temporarily plug your DirecTV into the projector to check. Only premium channels tend to be copy protected, so that's why things like HBO are giving you grief.

If the projector is HDCP compliant, then the problem is that the DirecTV is having trouble making the copy protection protocol work through the OPPO -- i.e., a poor HDMI implementation in the DirecTV. OPPO engineering already has some history with problematic DirecTV boxes.

Get in touch with them and describe the gear you've got and what's happening and they may have some suggestions for you.
--Bob
post #7563 of 10181
As a long time (starting back from 971 model) OPPO devotee I am pretty happy to find that good enough iPad media control application is finally available. Just one problem left to get rid of my parallel computer-based playback way : this iPad app failed to connect to my password-protected W7-PC-share. Everything works fine if I remove password. In fact the app asks for log-in credentials but then reports failure to connect. (I strongly prefer to keep network shares password protected even at home network)

Any advise please?

Thanks!
post #7564 of 10181
Thread Starter 
If you use the MediaControlHD you will not be able to log into the SMB share if you need to provide the Username and Password. The best thing to do is use the provided remote control and go to Network then select the SMB share. Enter in your credentials then select SAVE. Press OK.

Confirm that you can navigate the SMB share.

Turn off the player. Turn it back on.

Now the MediaControlHD will work with the SMB share.
post #7565 of 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpiortp View Post

I got a copy of "Moonrise Kingdom" and it doesn't seem to play. I put the disc in, and an animated Universal logo appears briefly, then nothing. After a few minutes of blackness the disc stops spinning. There is not title information or anything to indicate that the player understands the disc at all.

 hCWpp

I don't recall any problems with that title. In fact we seem to be in a quiet period with disc compatibility issues.

(1) Look at the reflective surface of the disc. Does it seem ok? Are other Blu-rays playing ok?

(2) Do you have another player to test it on?

(3) Are you running the most recent firmware? If not, update and try again.

(4) Try these steps:

  • turn off BD-Live
  • erase Persistent Storage
  • turn the player off and on again

-Bill
post #7566 of 10181

Hooking up the 105 to new Outlaw Amp directly.

Good Morning All,
I took delivery of my new Outlaw 7900 amp this week. Electrician coming tomorrow at 8:00 am to install second (required) dedicated 15 amp circuit. I have read a number of you have had a great experience hooking the Oppo straight to your amps. I would like to try this. Are there any cautions other than making sure the volume on the 105 is set to variable and turned down? I would also turn off the auto software update. Long term, I want a regular pre-amp in the mix but initially (after experimenting with connecting the 105 directly to the amp) I will place my Yamaha Z-11 in pre-amp duty. With these two applications, is there any sage advice from this well informed group? I appreciate any information you are able to provide.

Best Regards,
Rob
post #7567 of 10181
There is no automatic firmware update. There is merely an automatic firmware update notification. You should pose your questions in the official BDP-105 thread and not start a new one.
post #7568 of 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

If you use the MediaControlHD you will not be able to log into the SMB share if you need to provide the Username and Password. The best thing to do is use the provided remote control and go to Network then select the SMB share. Enter in your credentials then select SAVE. Press OK.

Confirm that you can navigate the SMB share.

Turn off the player. Turn it back on.

Now the MediaControlHD will work with the SMB share.
I've been successfully using the log in credentials window from the MediaControlHD app for quite some time now.....but I think this login window is different than the one you're speaking of. (???) When I access my Synology NAS from the ios app, upon waking up the NAS, a login window pops up on the app. I enter the proper credentials to get access to my network drive. It's foolproof.
post #7569 of 10181
Jazzguyy, Sorry I'm very sorry I put "update", as opposed to merely a "notification". With regard to posting a new thread, I stand by that decision.
post #7570 of 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookedup View Post

Good Morning All,
I took delivery of my new Outlaw 7900 amp this week. Electrician coming tomorrow at 8:00 am to install second (required) dedicated 15 amp circuit. I have read a number of you have had a great experience hooking the Oppo straight to your amps. I would like to try this. Are there any cautions other than making sure the volume on the 105 is set to variable and turned down? I would also turn off the auto software update. Long term, I want a regular pre-amp in the mix but initially (after experimenting with connecting the 105 directly to the amp) I will place my Yamaha Z-11 in pre-amp duty. With these two applications, is there any sage advice from this well informed group? I appreciate any information you are able to provide.

Best Regards,
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

There is no automatic firmware update. There is merely an automatic firmware update notification. You should pose your questions in the official BDP-105 thread and not start a new one.

I setup a friends system with the 105 connected directly to Outlaw M2200 monoblocks.
It sounds great.

He is not that technical, so I disabled the network update notification so that he does automatically update his firmware.
When you do update the 105, I recommend turning the amp off until you have double-checked the variable volume setting and levels.

- Rich
Edited by RichB - 10/27/13 at 4:40pm
post #7571 of 10181
Neuromancer, thanks a lot! It works!
post #7572 of 10181
Thread Starter 
Glad to hear that my suggestions resolved your issues.
post #7573 of 10181
Thanks Rich, for the very helpful response. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like, hopefully tomorrow night!
post #7574 of 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

We have four DirecTV HD-DVRs, three of which are connected directly to Sony TVs via HDMI. They play programs from HBO and Showtime without a problem. The fourth HD-DVR is connected to our Oppo 105 via HDMI, with video out to a Sony projector and analog audio to a Cary processor. HBO and Showtime program are not played. Instead we get a message that the TV does not support the program's content protection, and recommends the use of component cables. The DirecTV unit is a Genie HR34-700. Is there a fix for this problem?

db

In another thread about a similar problem someone mentioned a device called "Dr.HDMI". It's an inline device that is designed to help solve these sorts of issues with HDMI connections. I have a similar issue so I googled the name and found the website. I have one on order myself. Perhaps this device could solve your issue.
post #7575 of 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpiortp View Post

I got a copy of "Moonrise Kingdom" and it doesn't seem to play. I put the disc in, and an animated Universal logo appears briefly, then nothing. After a few minutes of blackness the disc stops spinning. There is not title information or anything to indicate that the player understands the disc at all.

 hCWpp

Sadly I encountered the same problem with Oblivion. Turning off BD live solved the issue. Oddly enough none of my three previous Blu-ray players had these sorts of problems. I have tried three Blu-ray and one DVD, one Blu-ray had issues and the DVD continues to have issues. I guess I should set a Panasonic Blu-ray player on top of the Oppo 105 for these times. Huge sigh.
post #7576 of 10181
Before I start rearranging cables, are Blu-ray discs encoded with HDCP? If so, that removes the HDMI link from the Oppo 105 to the projector from suspicion because those discs play without an encoding problem.

My planned order of attach:
  1. Unplug both DirecTV and Oppo 105 and check HDMI connection.
  2. Connect DirecTV HDMI directly to projector; also try HDMI connected to front of Oppo.
  3. Replace HDMI cable from DirecTV to Oppo.

If one or more of those steps don't solve the problem, I'll investigate the Dr. HDMI, but I tend to be skeptical of such devices.

db
post #7577 of 10181
They offer a pretty decent explanation of what the device does. Apparently HDMI sends codes back and forth between devices to determine if everything is legal. If it is it allows the signal to pass, if not it doesn't. The Dr.HDMI device allows you to save the code into multiple memory banks so that the code your HDMI wants to see gets sent. If I understand your situation you have newer Sony TVs that work fine but an older projector that doesn't. My understanding of the device is that you could temporarily connect the Dr.HDMI device via HDMI to your Directv box and then to a Sony. Save the code the Sony sends to the Dr.HDMI device. Then plug the Directv box into Dr.HDMI, and from there plug in the projector. Dr.HDMI tells the Directv box that it is hooked up to the Sony and that all is well and it allows the signal to pass. That is MY UNDERSTANDING of how it works but I could be confused. Take the time to read the info on the website and decide for yourself. And best of luck, it's nice when things just work.
post #7578 of 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by aangen View Post

Sadly I encountered the same problem with Oblivion. Turning off BD live solved the issue. Oddly enough none of my three previous Blu-ray players had these sorts of problems. I have tried three Blu-ray and one DVD, one Blu-ray had issues and the DVD continues to have issues. I guess I should set a Panasonic Blu-ray player on top of the Oppo 105 for these times. Huge sigh.

I just watched Oblivion on my 105 last week with no issues - haven't run into an issue with any movie so far though.
post #7579 of 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by aangen View Post

They offer a pretty decent explanation of what the device does. Apparently HDMI sends codes back and forth between devices to determine if everything is legal. If it is it allows the signal to pass, if not it doesn't. The Dr.HDMI device allows you to save the code into multiple memory banks so that the code your HDMI wants to see gets sent. If I understand your situation you have newer Sony TVs that work fine but an older projector that doesn't. My understanding of the device is that you could temporarily connect the Dr.HDMI device via HDMI to your Directv box and then to a Sony. Save the code the Sony sends to the Dr.HDMI device. Then plug the Directv box into Dr.HDMI, and from there plug in the projector. Dr.HDMI tells the Directv box that it is hooked up to the Sony and that all is well and it allows the signal to pass. That is MY UNDERSTANDING of how it works but I could be confused. Take the time to read the info on the website and decide for yourself. And best of luck, it's nice when things just work.
The Dr. HDMI helps with EDID issues, not with HDCP issues, both of which are involved in the HDMI handshake process. The EDID information is for things like supported resolutions, support audio formats, etc. HDCP is the copy protection. In this case, I don't believe an EDID manager like the Dr.HDMI or a Gefen HDMI Detective (a similar product from Gefen) will help, so make sure it's returnable for a refund in case it doesn't solve the specific problem.

When the Oppo is inserted between the DirecTV box and the projector, the HDMI handshake process becomes more complex because there is now an extra device (and cable) in the chain. If using HDMI1 out on the Oppo, the process is even more complex because the Oppo is essentially 2 HDMI devices because of the extra video processing done by the Marvell QDEO video processing chip. My suggestion would be to try HDMI2 out on the Oppo and see if that happens to help as the HDMI handshake is less complicated on the HDMI2 output. Either way, I would contact Oppo with the details of all the devices in the chain and see if they have any suggestions or if the problem is an issue they're already aware of. Keep in mind that even if everything "works" without the Oppo in the middle, the root problem could still be in the display or the DirecTV box, but it's also possible that Oppo may be able to find a resolution on their end.
post #7580 of 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aangen View Post

They offer a pretty decent explanation of what the device does. Apparently HDMI sends codes back and forth between devices to determine if everything is legal. If it is it allows the signal to pass, if not it doesn't. The Dr.HDMI device allows you to save the code into multiple memory banks so that the code your HDMI wants to see gets sent. If I understand your situation you have newer Sony TVs that work fine but an older projector that doesn't. My understanding of the device is that you could temporarily connect the Dr.HDMI device via HDMI to your Directv box and then to a Sony. Save the code the Sony sends to the Dr.HDMI device. Then plug the Directv box into Dr.HDMI, and from there plug in the projector. Dr.HDMI tells the Directv box that it is hooked up to the Sony and that all is well and it allows the signal to pass. That is MY UNDERSTANDING of how it works but I could be confused. Take the time to read the info on the website and decide for yourself. And best of luck, it's nice when things just work.
The Dr. HDMI helps with EDID issues, not with HDCP issues, both of which are involved in the HDMI handshake process. The EDID information is for things like supported resolutions, support audio formats, etc. HDCP is the copy protection. In this case, I don't believe an EDID manager like the Dr.HDMI or a Gefen HDMI Detective (a similar product from Gefen) will help, so make sure it's returnable for a refund in case it doesn't solve the specific problem.

When the Oppo is inserted between the DirecTV box and the projector, the HDMI handshake process becomes more complex because there is now an extra device (and cable) in the chain. If using HDMI1 out on the Oppo, the process is even more complex because the Oppo is essentially 2 HDMI devices because of the extra video processing done by the Marvell QDEO video processing chip. My suggestion would be to try HDMI2 out on the Oppo and see if that happens to help as the HDMI handshake is less complicated on the HDMI2 output. Either way, I would contact Oppo with the details of all the devices in the chain and see if they have any suggestions or if the problem is an issue they're already aware of. Keep in mind that even if everything "works" without the Oppo in the middle, the root problem could still be in the display or the DirecTV box, but it's also possible that Oppo may be able to find a resolution on their end.

I'm the person whose handshake issues were fixed by the Dr. HDMI. I run my cable box into the 105, and HDMI 1 out to my TV. Cable box output resolution changes were the issue. Supporting your statement re the Marvell chip, I had no issues if I used HDMI 2 out, or, if my TV was disconnected while my cable box resolution was changed, then re-connected. (Which proved to me the fact that a multiple-device HDMI chain is complicated beast!) Dr. HDMI between the cable box and the 105 allows resolutions to change without handshake issues at all. I tried placing the Dr. HDMI between the 105 and the TV, but that didn't work. The original poster may want to browse the Dr. HDMI forum or ask a question there about his particular problem. (And, let me say I am NOT affiliated with the Dr. HDMI folks in any way. Just a customer.)

Good luck.
post #7581 of 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul54 View Post

I'm the person whose handshake issues were fixed by the Dr. HDMI. I run my cable box into the 105, and HDMI 1 out to my TV. Cable box output resolution changes were the issue. Supporting your statement re the Marvell chip, I had no issues if I used HDMI 2 out, or, if my TV was disconnected while my cable box resolution was changed, then re-connected. (Which proved to me the fact that a multiple-device HDMI chain is complicated beast!) Dr. HDMI between the cable box and the 105 allows resolutions to change without handshake issues at all. I tried placing the Dr. HDMI between the 105 and the TV, but that didn't work. The original poster may want to browse the Dr. HDMI forum or ask a question there about his particular problem. (And, let me say I am NOT affiliated with the Dr. HDMI folks in any way. Just a customer.)

Good luck.
Correct - the Dr. HDMI and similar products will help with things like issues with resolution changes or if the device shuts off video output if it senses the thing at the other end of the HDMI cable was shut off and other similar / related issues. It most likely won't help with HDCP issues.
post #7582 of 10181
The three steps in my previous post pretty much follow suggestions from Oppo support. I will tonight try turning off BD live. The next steps require rolling the cabinet over carpet, doable but not easy.

I have another, maybe unrelated, problem. I lose audio when I change back to 9 X 16 from the 4 X 5 of our PBS stations. I need to restart the Oppo 105 to recover audio. That doesn't happen with the Oppo 95 and Sony 46 XBR8 which are connected directly via HDMI.

As an aside, the audio of the XBR8 is extraordinary. I played the Riverside SACD of the Bill Evans Trio Waltz for Debby and was struck by how good it sounded. The Sony TV speakers are supplemented by a Velodyne HGS-10, but an Oppo 95 and XBR8 make a very good stereo setup even without the sub. I've been surprised by how good.

db
post #7583 of 10181
Following aangen's suggestion, I turned off BD live. No joy.

Following gsr's suggestion, I turned on the monitor to try the output from HDMI-2. Boardwalk Empire came up on both the monitor and projector. I turned the monitor off and tried to restart Boardwalk just on the projector and got the "no content projection" message. Something is weird. I'll check the HDMI connection from the DirecTV HD-DVR to the Oppo 105, and change the cable, but the experience of getting program on both monitor and projector leaves me skeptical. My wife reminded me that it has been only within the last few weeks that we have been unable to play HBO and Showtime programs.

db
post #7584 of 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

Following aangen's suggestion, I turned off BD live. No joy.

Following gsr's suggestion, I turned on the monitor to try the output from HDMI-2. Boardwalk Empire came up on both the monitor and projector. I turned the monitor off and tried to restart Boardwalk just on the projector and got the "no content projection" message. Something is weird. I'll check the HDMI connection from the DirecTV HD-DVR to the Oppo 105, and change the cable, but the experience of getting program on both monitor and projector leaves me skeptical. My wife reminded me that it has been only within the last few weeks that we have been unable to play HBO and Showtime programs.

db
My suggestion was to hook your projector up to HDMI2, not to have displays hooked up to both outputs. Though your results are interesting smile.gif.
post #7585 of 10181
Hello I'm having drop-out problems when listening to CD's. I notice what sounds like a temporary pause that will happen several times through a cd. It happens sporadically and with random discs. I get some temporally relief by switching my AVR (A/D) from 2 channel analog to 7.1 analog. I called Oppo and the tech told my to try to put my TV on and see if it makes a difference, which did not. I have my oppo connected to my AVR analog 2 channel as well as 7.1 for CD listening. I have my AVR connected to oppo via HDMI into the BD input. I also have my Squeezebox Touch connected into my oppo via coaxel.( by the way I notice the same problem at times when streaming from my squeezebox as well). My TV is connected into my AVR via HDMI . When I'm listening to CDs and having this problem the only things that are on are AVR, oppo. Is anyone else having this problem. It's wired that sometimes I can listen to 2 CDs back to back with no problems and other times I can't get through on track! Could this be a handshake problem? Thanks in advance.
post #7586 of 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

Before I start rearranging cables, are Blu-ray discs encoded with HDCP? If so, that removes the HDMI link from the Oppo 105 to the projector from suspicion because those discs play without an encoding problem.

My planned order of attach:
  1. Unplug both DirecTV and Oppo 105 and check HDMI connection.
  2. Connect DirecTV HDMI directly to projector; also try HDMI connected to front of Oppo.
  3. Replace HDMI cable from DirecTV to Oppo.

If one or more of those steps don't solve the problem, I'll investigate the Dr. HDMI, but I tend to be skeptical of such devices.

db

Yes they are, but no it doesn't. Commercial Blu-ray discs are almost universally "copy protected", but the way HDMI's copy protection protocol (HDCP) works, it is quite possible for one source to succeed over an HDMI cable whereas another source fails over the same cable. HDCP is finicky. It LIKES to fail.

That said, it sounds like your DirecTV box is having trouble passing the HDCP check when it has to do that THROUGH the OPPO.

This is almost certainly due to flaky implementation of HDMI in the DirecTV box, but that flakiness may be exacerbated by marginal cabling. And yes, all the cables in the HDMI signal path are suspect. HDMI (and HDCP) are end to end protocols driven by the source device. In this case the DirecTV has to satisfy itself that copy protection is working TO the OPPO, and then also has to satisfy itself that it is working THROUGH the OPPO to what's beyond. That least bit -- called "repeater processing" is still being done by the DirecTV box. The source device controls the protocol.

The cable carries both high bandwidth (the video) and low bandwidth (control information) data, and both have to work without flaw for HDCP to be happy.

There's nothing you can really do to alter the low bandwidth part of that, but there IS stuff you can do to experiment with reducing the high bandwidth part.

So, start by setting your DirecTV box to output 480p (not 480i -- 480p is the "simplest HDMI signal) -- ONLY. If it has an adjustment for Deep Color, turn that OFF. If possible, set the DirecTV to output a specific video format (rather than AUTO) -- YCbCr 4:4:4 would be the normal choice.

In the OPPO, also set its output to explicit 480p with YCbCr 4:4:4, and Deep Color OFF. Set the OPPO to output HDMI Audio LPCM. In the OPPO, turn off HDMI CEC (remote control over the HDMI cable).

Now try that combo with those premium (i.e., copy protected) DirecTV channels. If it STILL fails, that doesn't tell you much. It could still be the DirecTV doesn't know how to handle the handshake THROUGH the OPPO. Or it could be that low bandwidth cable problem I alluded to above.

But if it WORKS, then next try setting the DirecTV to 1080i output and also the OPPO to 1080i output. And if THAT works, then try switching both to 1080p output.

If 480p and 1080i work, but 1080p does not, then that pretty much points the finger at the cabling.

NOTE: HDMI cables are sold in two flavors. What you need are "high speed" HDMI cables. These will be sold as "High Speed" or "For 1080p" or "Category 2", all of which mean the same thing. An HDMI cable NOT sold that way MAY also work with 1080p, but it also may fail. That's a typical sort of "marginal cable" problem. Any daisy-chained cables, adapters, wall plates, HDMI switches, gizmos (Darbee Darblet), or other stuff in the HDMI signal path -- again, end to end -- should also be suspect. Wall plates (commonly used to dress up the cable feed to a projector) were notorious at one point for not working for 1080p.



The reason GSR wanted you to try the experiment using the HDMI 2 output only from the OPPO -- HDMI 1 not connected -- is that the HDMI 1 output goes through more processing elements inside the OPPO, and all of those complicate the job the DirecTV is trying to do to satisfy copy protection. It may be the DirecTV is smart enough to handle the simpler path leading out to HDMI 2, but not the more complex path through HDMI 1. This would be a bug in the DirecTV.

Regardless of what you find, let OPPO Tech Support know the results. Sometimes it is possible for an "intervening" HDMI device (the OPPO in this case) to work around problems in the HDMI implementation in the "source" device (the DirecTV in this case). The trick of course is to do that in a way that doesn't break HDMI for everybody else.
--Bob
post #7587 of 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelly View Post

Hello I'm having drop-out problems when listening to CD's. I notice what sounds like a temporary pause that will happen several times through a cd. It happens sporadically and with random discs. I get some temporally relief by switching my AVR (A/D) from 2 channel analog to 7.1 analog. I called Oppo and the tech told my to try to put my TV on and see if it makes a difference, which did not. I have my oppo connected to my AVR analog 2 channel as well as 7.1 for CD listening. I have my AVR connected to oppo via HDMI into the BD input. I also have my Squeezebox Touch connected into my oppo via coaxel.( by the way I notice the same problem at times when streaming from my squeezebox as well). My TV is connected into my AVR via HDMI . When I'm listening to CDs and having this problem the only things that are on are AVR, oppo. Is anyone else having this problem. It's wired that sometimes I can listen to 2 CDs back to back with no problems and other times I can't get through on track! Could this be a handshake problem? Thanks in advance.

Physically disconnect the HDMI outputs entirely at the back of the OPPO and try your CDs that way (Analog audio to your AVR). Do you still get the dropouts? If not, then there's an HDMI setup problem we'll need to ferret out.

(Come to think of it, it would probably be best to disconnect EVERYTHING from the OPPO -- Wifi dongle, Ethernet, attached drives, Optical/Coax, and anything connected to its Inputs. For this test, try the OPPO with JUST power and the Analog cables to your AVR.)

If you DO still get the dropouts -- again this is with NO HDMI CABLES attached to the OPPO -- then keep an eye on the time code in the front panel display when the dropout happens. Does the time code stall briefly during a dropout then jump ahead? If so then the laser head that reads the CD discs may need cleaning. It may have picked up a hair or some dust. I.e., your dropout is simply a disc read problem -- usually easy to resolve. I would have immediately jumped to this possibility except that you say you are having the same problem with content played from the Squeezebox.

CD and SD-DVD discs use a different laser lens than is used for Blu-ray discs.
--Bob
post #7588 of 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by aangen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpiortp View Post

I got a copy of "Moonrise Kingdom" and it doesn't seem to play. I put the disc in, and an animated Universal logo appears briefly, then nothing. After a few minutes of blackness the disc stops spinning. There is not title information or anything to indicate that the player understands the disc at all.

 hCWpp

Sadly I encountered the same problem with Oblivion. Turning off BD live solved the issue. Oddly enough none of my three previous Blu-ray players had these sorts of problems. I have tried three Blu-ray and one DVD, one Blu-ray had issues and the DVD continues to have issues. I guess I should set a Panasonic Blu-ray player on top of the Oppo 105 for these times. Huge sigh.

Many older or cheaper Blu-ray players don't support BD-Live at all (or have no built-in memory for Persistent Storage), and so CAN'T have these problems. Problems with BD-Live may be due to server side problems at the studio, or screwy programming on the disc which gets confused between what it is trying to download via BD-Live and what is ALREADY in the player's Persistent Storage as a result or previous disc playback. Of course this sort of problem is not supposed to happen, but the studio programmers get mighty inventive sometimes.

Anyway, in addition to the strongly recommended advice that you do a Reset after any firmware install, other things to try when disc startup seems to stall are to eject the disc, Erase Persistent Storage in Setup, and then try the disc again first with BD-Live OFF, and (if that doesn't work) then with BD-Live ON *EVEN IF* you don't actually have any networking hooked up to the player.
--Bob
post #7589 of 10181
Thanks Bob and GSR. I printed out the post and will try the suggestions tomorrow. It's obvious I need to move the cabinet out to get to the backs of the DirecTV and Oppo, and go to the local A/V shop in Santa Barbara to buy a cable specifically marked high sped HDMI for 1080p or Category 2. And yes, the HDMI to the projector goes through a wall plate, but that's been true for several years and certainly was when HBO and Showtime were displayed by the projector just a few weeks ago.

That turning on the monitor which shares a switcher with the Mac Mini permitted the projector to display premium programs last night is curious, but it causes me to wonder if once the HDCP link to the monitor was established it opened the DirecTV gate for both HDMI 1 & 2.

db
post #7590 of 10181
For clarification, in my setup HDMI from the DirecTV HD-DVR goes to the rear HDMI input of the Oppo 105. Oppo support suggested one of the things to try was taking HDMI from the HD-DVR to the front HDMI port of the Oppo. Audio from the Oppo is analog to a Cary Cinema 11a, so no HDMI from the Oppo goes to the Cary.

db
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread