or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › New SVS SB1000 & PB1000 Subwoofers!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New SVS SB1000 & PB1000 Subwoofers!! - Page 15

post #421 of 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

You're starting to over-think this whole subwoofer purchase... smile.gif

That "rating" was merely to highlight the point I was trying to make about the different properties of those 3 subwoofers. I don't think the PB1000 is bad at all -- it actually sounds pretty darn good -- but I suspect the design goals were depth and output, like most other ported subs. Bass reflex can still sound good, but the primary advantages tend more towards low and loud.

Your hands are pretty much tied because of the amount of space you have. Going with a small acoustic suspension subwoofer is probably not going to work all that well.

ok ok biggrin.gif don't get 'mad' at me tongue.gif

i will buy that sub. i am so close i can hear it! Maybe by the end of next week i will place my order.

and since i can't post something, without making a question biggrin.gif,

since my sub will be right next to my office drawers, which of course are made of wood. Will this be a problem to the overall sound? I mean that when the sub booms, the wood will vibrate and transfer a dirty sound. is there any chance of that? should i place some sound material behind the sub where the wall is going to be?

smile.gif
post #422 of 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

ok ok biggrin.gif don't get 'mad' at me tongue.gif

No worries. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

since my sub will be right next to my office drawers, which of course are made of wood. Will this be a problem to the overall sound? I mean that when the sub booms, the wood will vibrate and transfer a dirty sound. is there any chance of that? should i place some sound material behind the sub where the wall is going to be?

It's certainly possible that some of the vibrations will be passed on to the surrounding furniture. If it does there are things you can buy called 'isolators' that can help with the problem, but I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Wait until you get the sub and see what happens first.
post #423 of 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

since my sub will be right next to my office drawers.
Have you already done the sub crawl and determined that's the best place for it? If you haven't you need to.
Quote:
should i place some sound material behind the sub where the wall is going to be?
You may, but it won't do anything.
post #424 of 1194
The PB-1000 is here! A few quick pictures of the un-boxing.


Hmmm. Does not appear to be this box's maiden voyage....


Out of the box! I knew the dimensions, but it is bigger than I thought it would be! Wife may be getting an extra foot rub this week.


Front


Back


Feet (I had been curious about this.)


In its new spot! That is a 55" TV, for reference. The stand is 22.5" high and 58.5" wide. Matches the Pioneers perfectly!



Have to get the kids to sleep, so will not be able to hook it up for a first listen until tomorrow or Saturday. frown.gif
post #425 of 1194
Nice Noobio2 !!!! yeah the boxes were beat up on mine two, thank god they double box it!!!

Looks like a good spot there, but might be better closer to the side wall and move the Speaker to the right of the sub.

Test both locations.


Can't wait till you listen to it myself!!!

Sweet!

nashou
post #426 of 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobio2 View Post

In its new spot! That is a 55" TV, for reference. The stand is 22.5" high and 58.5" wide. Matches the Pioneers perfectly!

Those are the Andrew Jones Pioneers? The PB1000 is probably going to work very well with those.
Edited by JimWilson - 1/24/13 at 8:04pm
post #427 of 1194
Yes, the Andrew Joneses. Thanks Jim! It is killing me having it sit down there without being able to give it a listen. I might feel a sick day coming on tomorrow....
post #428 of 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobio2 View Post

I might feel a sick day coming on tomorrow....

Got an eye problem do ya....Can't see going to work with that sub sitting there....LOL.....
post #429 of 1194
I've recently got to play around with a PB-1000, courtesy of SVS. Below are my impressions vs a BIC PL200:

Living Room
For starters, I unhooked the BIC subwoofer and placed the SVS in the same location and used it for general tv watching/videogame playing for a few days as a break-in. My living room is a little large for either subwoofer, as I have an open floor plan living room/kitchen combo with an open hallway leading off of it.

Using the same receiver settings as my other subwoofer, I got better low frequency performance from the SVS, but there definitely seemed to be less maximum impact at higher frequencies. Even so, it seemed to be a lot clearer and "tighter" bass, definitely less sloppy sounding than the BIC subwoofer. I ran my receivers auto setup and did some tweaking. Once I had it adjusted to my liking, I was much more satisfied with the SVS than at first. Higher frequency performance was close between the two once I was happy with my audio settings, but the SVS was the winner in all of the other categories. Much better low-end, and you actually hear seperate explosions rather than one big roar from the BIC. If I was told I could keep either sub and had to give the other one away, I'd definitely pick the SVS as the keeper. But for this room I ideally need to move to a higher end subwoofer. I like SVS pb1000 a lot, but if I was spending the money to replace my current subwoofer, I'd spend the extra money and go with a larger model, like the pb12-plus/pb13-ultra if we are talking about the SVS line up.

Secondary Room
I also tested both subs in a smaller room with a secondary tv/audio setup. In the smaller room, both subs were noticeably better(funny how that works!). Here is where there was really a huge difference between to the subs. The SVS was hands down better than the BIC when used in the smaller room, and definitely worth the price difference.

Photos:
SVS PB1000 - No Cover/Grill(Right) and Bic PL200(Left)


SVS PB1000 - No Grill


SVS PB1000


SVS Angle Shot


SVS Rear(Level is set pretty high here from playing around, did my comparison with both subs levels set to 12 o'clock/half way)
post #430 of 1194
may i ask why u have phase and crossover to maximum? did u hear better results?
post #431 of 1194
wtf multiple posts sorry. it was by accident
post #432 of 1194
Another super noob question -- Should I shell out for some high end cable to connect the PB-1000 to my receiver, or can I just pull something out of my old box-o-jumbled-cables and be fine? If it is worth the investment, any recommendations?

Thanks!
post #433 of 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobio2 View Post

or can I just pull something out of my old box-o-jumbled-cables and be fine?

An old cable will be fine as long as it is in good working condition.
post #434 of 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post

An old cable will be fine as long as it is in good working condition.

I don't need some gold-plated heavy guage thing?
post #435 of 1194
Quote:
I don't need some gold-plated heavy guage thing?
Nope, any old RCA-to-RCA will do. Should the cable be picking up interference, you may want to consider spending all of $10 at Monoprice.com for something better. smile.gif

Congrats on the sub, BTW. cool.gif
post #436 of 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

may i ask why u have phase and crossover to maximum? did u hear better results?

Thats is not maximum. its the LFE position.

Athanasios
post #437 of 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

may i ask why u have phase and crossover to maximum? did u hear better results?

As someone else mentioned, that is where you set the crossover when using your receiver to control the LFE crossover. The phase is adjusted to what works best with your other speakers essentially. The volume in my picture is set higher than I had it when actually using it, I pretty much had it 12 o'clock and adjusted the level using my receiver.
post #438 of 1194
ok i understand the crossover why it is set to maximum, no problem there. but how do you know what is the best phase setting for your speakers?

from what i read, you need an spl meter to measure the whole thing again, and adjust it according to the best result from the readings.
post #439 of 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

ok i understand the crossover why it is set to maximum, no problem there. but how do you know what is the best phase setting for your speakers?

from what i read, you need an spl meter to measure the whole thing again, and adjust it according to the best result from the readings.

Correct. I tried in my Dual sub set up setting one sub to 0 and the other to 180, SPL dropped a lot!! Then I tried both at 0 and both at 180 then both at 90 and one at 90 and then 0 and 180 for the other. In my room and my main speakers the best was both at 0. It depends on Room and main speakers. Now I tried a few frequencies here, 30, 60 and 100. I looked first
at the low end for the subs working with each other or against each other. then Since my speakers are large and can hit 40 hz I tried 60 and 100 to make sure they didnt interact witht he subs and drop in volume.

it is a pain.

Athanasios
post #440 of 1194
Maybe some of the new PB owner's can share their experiences? It's been allmost a week now.. ;-)
post #441 of 1194
I was reading audioholics the other day and SVS provided 10 guys a PB1000 or an SB1000 for review. Some interisting reading. If any of them are reading this forum it would be nice for them to post some comments here too.
post #442 of 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluis View Post

Maybe some of the new PB owner's can share their experiences? It's been allmost a week now.. ;-)


Well So far I really like them. I just won at auction the SVS AS EQ1 and am planning on integrating it into my system once I get it. Then I can really test them out. But for now they really sound great in my 3.9k room! And with music they
are more musical than I ever thought a ported Sub could be.

Athanasios
post #443 of 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Well So far I really like them. I just won at auction the SVS AS EQ1 and am planning on integrating it into my system once I get it. Then I can really test them out. But for now they really sound great in my 3.9k room! And with music they
are more musical than I ever thought a ported Sub could be.

Athanasios

you are sooo lucky! smile.gif what auction?

I wonder if Jim finished his review. By the way i am ordering mine, next week :P
post #444 of 1194
Don't forget that AVS sells SVS subs !! I've owned two different SVS subs myself.
post #445 of 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

you are sooo lucky! smile.gifwhat auction?

I wonder if Jim finished his review. By the way i am ordering mine, next week :P

eBay.

I work hard to get my toys, plus I'm still single so no wife and kids. Looking for a nice Greek Girl TeDev, have any cute sisters in their mid 30's? wink.gif

Athanasios
post #446 of 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

I wonder if Jim finished his review. By the way i am ordering mine, next week :P

He hasn't even started it yet, so it will be a little while before I can publish anything. I'm talking to Ed Mullen about getting an SB1000 as well, so I can directly compare the two of them.
post #447 of 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Don't forget that AVS sells SVS subs !! I've owned two different SVS subs myself.

I am from europe. sooo i can't buy it from there

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

eBay.

I work hard to get my toys, plus I'm still single so no wife and kids. Looking for a nice Greek Girl TeDev, have any cute sisters in their mid 30's? wink.gif

Athanasios

I have one, but she is 24 and married with a kid. I will see what i can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

He hasn't even started it yet, so it will be a little while before I can publish anything. I'm talking to Ed Mullen about getting an SB1000 as well, so I can directly compare the two of them.

No problem there. Maybe i will write an opinion of mine (i don't think i can write a review with minimum experience on subs smile.gif) . What makes me a bit curious is the weight of the sub. i expected it to be heavier to tell you the truth. I found some reviews around audioholics, but most of them were crap (to my opinion). I wonder if i can do better tongue.gif
post #448 of 1194
My PB-1000 arrived about 2 weeks ago.

I have a very large space, so many on this forum felt like it wouldn't be "enough Sub" for me, but for now, it's a huge step up from what I was using before, and I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Before buying, I called SVS. When you call SVS, someone picks up the phone almost immediately. I have no idea what that person's job is, but whoever they are, they sound both friendly AND knowledgeable. I asked them about the SB vs. the PB, as I had learned (from reading this forum) that sealed subs, in general, are more articulate and appropriate for music. They informed me that, in general, that's true, but that's because, in general, most ported subs aren't of a high-quality build. He informed me that the primary advantage to the SB-1000 over the PB-1000 is footprint. If you don't have the physical space for the much larger PB-1000, then the SB-1000 sacrifices low end response for a smaller footprint. He informed me that regarding how each would do for music, he did not feel like the SB-1000 would outperform the PB-1000.

That was how I made the decision to go with the PB-1000. And, although I'm not an expert on *subwoofers*, I'm personally quite pleased with the purchase and wanted to share my experience here, as I found this forum to be quite helpful while I was shopping.
post #449 of 1194
Congrats on the new sub, and thanks for posting your thoughts on both the product and on SVS' customer service. Sounds like a pretty solid experience overall. smile.gif
post #450 of 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

No problem there. Maybe i will write an opinion of mine (i don't think i can write a review with minimum experience on subs smile.gif) . What makes me a bit curious is the weight of the sub. i expected it to be heavier to tell you the truth. I found some reviews around audioholics, but most of them were crap (to my opinion). I wonder if i can do better tongue.gif

It's a lot harder to write a good review then most people realize, which is why you saw a varying degree of success with the Audioholics contest winners. In spite of that, I always urge people to post something about what they bought, good, bad or indifferent. While it may not be Stephen King those posts often enable other people to do a trend analysis; even if the writing is not all that great, if what most people are saying is either positive or negative it will become apparent that a pattern has formed. Consensus can be a good thing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › New SVS SB1000 & PB1000 Subwoofers!!