or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Disney's BRAVE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Disney's BRAVE - Page 3

post #61 of 114
no, its happened on my 103 both times and a work colleagues the second time (the first time played 100% perfect)
post #62 of 114
Sounds like a definitely defective publishing, not an occasional individual disc issue.

Is the best answer to have everyone return them to retailers, demand money back (not another defective replacement) until Disney re-authors without the defect?
post #63 of 114
Can't wait to see what happens with Nemo. eek.gif

Tested the movie again last night. Dropouts again, but in different areas, so it's not specific. Quite odd.

And yes, all my equipment is up to date with firmware. Even changed the HDMI cable (again) just to make sure it wasn't the culprit. Checked all connections to make sure they were secure and snug. Made no diff.
post #64 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

Can't wait to see what happens with Nemo. eek.gif
Tested the movie again last night. Dropouts again, but in different areas, so it's not specific. Quite odd.
And yes, all my equipment is up to date with firmware. Even changed the HDMI cable (again) just to make sure it wasn't the culprit. Checked all connections to make sure they were secure and snug. Made no diff.

Try setting the player to output LPCM instead of bitsream - its played perfectly then on both my Oppo's and a Toshiba and everybody else tells me its worked for them too.
post #65 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffreyc View Post

Try setting the player to output LPCM instead of bitsream - its played perfectly then on both my Oppo's and a Toshiba and everybody else tells me its worked for them too.

If that ends up being true, then it appears that Disney introduced artifacts in the TrueHD encoding that is incompatible with HDMI data transfer. This helps Disney isolate where they screwed up, and presents a workaround for those willing to own a defective disc.

TrueHD should transfer without bugs through any HDMI compliant interface - if it doesn't, something is broken.


corrected redface.gif
Edited by rick240 - 11/25/12 at 9:36am
post #66 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffreyc View Post

Try setting the player to output LPCM instead of bitsream - its played perfectly then on both my Oppo's and a Toshiba and everybody else tells me its worked for them too.

Will give it a try. So much fuss for a so-so movie. Sound and video were great (when it didn't drop out), but the story . . .
post #67 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

If that ends up being true, then it appears that Disney introduced artifacts in the DTS-HD encoding that is incompatible with HDMI data transfer. This helps Disney isolate where they screwed up, and presents a workaround for those willing to own a defective disc.
DTS-HD/MA should transfer without bugs through any HDMI compliant interface - if it doesn't, something is broken.

This one is a TrueHD 7.1 mix. I wish it were DTS-HD instead.

I've had this issue on The Walking Dead series, which was also TrueHD 7.1.
post #68 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

Will give it a try. So much fuss for a so-so movie. Sound and video were great (when it didn't drop out), but the story . . .

I loved the story, audio and video. I hope this does not become a trend with Disney discs from now on! Very curious to try out Nemo now.
post #69 of 114
Is Nemo out already? I'd REALLY like to pick that one up when it's available!
post #70 of 114
Available 12/4
post #71 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffreyc View Post

Try setting the player to output LPCM instead of bitsream - its played perfectly then on both my Oppo's and a Toshiba and everybody else tells me its worked for them too.

LPCM can introduce lipsync issues and jitter. Not ideal.
post #72 of 114
Audio dropouts are not ideal either!

At least those of us that need to and do use this option can listen to the soundtrack glitch free - after all we should be able to that's why we parted with our hard-earned cash in the first place.

I'll take make chances with a bit of jitter instead of dropouts anyday!
post #73 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffreyc View Post

Audio dropouts are not ideal either!
At least those of us that need to and do use this option can listen to the soundtrack glitch free - after all we should be able to that's why we parted with our hard-earned cash in the first place.
I'll take make chances with a bit of jitter instead of dropouts anyday!

No doubt!!!

In today's world of electronics, decoding a bitstream signal should be easily doable by all products. My thoughts are that DSP horse power is lacking in some equipment.
post #74 of 114
No issues for me,
My PS3 does the decoding and sends LPCM to my Yamaha.

The audio was perfect throughout. No sync or jitter issues with video either.
post #75 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I loved the story, audio and video. I hope this does not become a trend with Disney discs from now on! Very curious to try out Nemo now.

I had no issues with Nemo Todd
post #76 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I had no issues with Nemo Todd

confused.gif Nemo isn't out on Blu-ray yet - how have you tried it?
post #77 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

confused.gif Nemo isn't out on Blu-ray yet - how have you tried it?

It's been out in Australia for a couple of weeks already.
post #78 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I had no issues with Nemo Todd

Good to hear Frank. Did you have any drops in Brave?
post #79 of 114
With the Sony yes, with the Oppo no.
post #80 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

With the Sony yes, with the Oppo no.
Same output [HDMI, Toslink, digital coaxial, or analog] on both?
post #81 of 114
I also had an issue with frames being dropped when viewing in 3D. It wasn't repeatable and it occurred sporadically while viewing it. I saw the same issue on Madagascar 3 3D which is also a 7.1 TrueHD title. Not sure if it is the Sony player starting to fail or if this is a random playback issue.
post #82 of 114
Just as an update:

Since clearing persistent storage and hooking my Oppo 83 back up to the internet I have not been able to reproduce the drops. I normally leave the Ethernet cable unplugged because of annoying BD-Live content.

Over the Thanksgiving weekend I finished up the media room in my parents new house. Panasonic BD-655 and a fresh out of the box referb Onkyo 609. All new HDMI cables. Both the BD Player and Onkyo are hooked to the internet and all firmware is up to date. No audio drops while viewing Brave on their setup.

Once last thing. Can others confirm a change in the tone and pitch of Kelly Macdonald's voice during her opening narration at 4:38-4:41? Happens to me with either Bitstream or LPCM. Just want to see if I got a bad disc or if there is an actual error in the mixing.

Thanks!
post #83 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

Same output [HDMI, Toslink, digital coaxial, or analog] on both?

I have all my blu ray players running into a Dvdo Duo the separate audio outputting to the pre amp and the video to the Projector. No issues with Oppo once put on the Sony bdp 380 a dropout occurred.
post #84 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

If that ends up being true, then it appears that Disney introduced artifacts in the TrueHD encoding that is incompatible with HDMI data transfer. This helps Disney isolate where they screwed up, and presents a workaround for those willing to own a defective disc.
TrueHD should transfer without bugs through any HDMI compliant interface - if it doesn't, something is broken.
corrected redface.gif

Watched the Blu-ray (Redbox rental) last night with my wife, I've seen it once before in a Dolby Atmos theater. She thought it was okay, the heroine she said just came across as a spoiled brat. I think the reason that the story seems flat is that there is no real villain or foe, the girl is her own worst enemy. Someone must have thought there was a kernel of a good story in there somewhere but they failed to bring it out. Parts of the film just seemed to drag. Thanks to others for pointing out the fractured nature of the film production, it has that kind of feel. I think the movie played better at home than it did in the theater but that could be because I already knew the storyline.

The Blu-ray PQ/AQ were excellent. The TrueHD sound played without problem on a Panasonic 210 bitstreaming to my Denon 2309CI.
post #85 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I have all my blu ray players running into a Dvdo Duo the separate audio outputting to the pre amp and the video to the Projector. No issues with Oppo once put on the Sony bdp 380 a dropout occurred.
Good for you!
Now back too the Q:
"Same output [HDMI, Toslink, digital coaxial, or analog] on both?"
post #86 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

Good for you!

Thank you
post #87 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post

Brave 2D version bitstreamed at 7.1 from an Oppo 83 to a Mitsubishi HC6500 via an Onkyo 707. No dropouts observed.

Watched this again last night, a Redbox rental, with the same set up and no problems observed.
post #88 of 114

I posted this under blu ray review of (brave).

I had audio drop out on the first chapter also ,i'm playing it via pioneer receiver 1121-k along with samsung bdp 1500.

But no video drop outs at all.  Just a fyi but a wonderful movie to enjoy with the family :)

post #89 of 114
Just a heads up, this happens on the new Pixar shorts Volume 2 as well, but only during the Mater shorts, and I believe once during La Luna.
I also had the dropout in Brave, but during the short with the Bear only.
Disney has Finding Nemo coming out next and may exhibit these issues as well.

Mark
post #90 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I had dropouts as well. Twice. One as she gets on her horse (towards the end maybe?), and one right before the credits. Both repeatable.

+1

Thought the first was a layer change until the second happened...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Disney's BRAVE