or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Do I Even Need an Upgrade? Repair Good Enough?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do I Even Need an Upgrade? Repair Good Enough?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
All-

I have a Hsu STF-2 subwoofer that I purchased about 2 years ago. I bought it for a room that measures 14 x 13.5 x 8 and its use is 100% for movies.

I recently purchased a Denon 2112 and when I went to go do my setup I found that my subwoofer wasnt working. The company believes I need to replace the amplifier - which they can send me for ~$190,

I dont know whether my room REALLY needs anything bigger or more powerful. So while part of me thinks its worth spending ~$500-600 to upgrade to something better and bigger, part of me wonders whether just spending the money to repair it may be sufficient for me.

Any thoughts?
post #2 of 15
If you went through a few standard steps that Hsu Customer Support is good about explaining for checking your STF-2, then you likely have a failed amp. Spending $190 for the replacement amp is a very reasonable deal. You need to go to ~$400 (new STF-2) to get anything that approximates the quality of the STF-2.
post #3 of 15
you need to hear, compare and decide.
Bumping to the 500-600$ mark gets you a really good sub....much better than the STF.

I would suggest 2 subs to even out bass unless u sit at the same place
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thanks.

I realize for that money I can get a better sub, just wondering whether for my room size its worth it.

Fyi listening positions are really just all in the same spot.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong View Post

I realize for that money I can get a better sub, just wondering whether for my room size its worth it.

Depends on how hard you're pushing the STF-2. I mean clearly, a VTF 2.4 can dig deeper and offer greater output than the STF-2; however, if you're watching movies at say -25dB from reference and below, it's not going to mean that much. As the volume ticks higher, the STF-2 will reach its limits and the effects of greater extension will be more notable.
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1981 View Post

Depends on how hard you're pushing the STF-2. I mean clearly, a VTF 2.4 can dig deeper and offer greater output than the STF-2; however, if you're watching movies at say -25dB from reference and below, it's not going to mean that much. As the volume ticks higher, the STF-2 will reach its limits and the effects of greater extension will be more notable.

Thanks that is really helpful guidance and is the type of feedback thats very useful in making a decision.

Like you said, I KNOW the VTF is more capable, but as a real amateur user I just dont know how much this will matter to me. That was a good way to explain it.

I dont think I am listening at close to reference levels: post Audyssey I am typically watching things at ~-30dB. So given the volume and size of my room (and by the way, listening positions are all along a single couch right next to the sub), Im struggling with whether the added expense will prove worthwhile...
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong View Post

Thanks that is really helpful guidance and is the type of feedback thats very useful in making a decision.
Like you said, I KNOW the VTF is more capable, but as a real amateur user I just dont know how much this will matter to me. That was a good way to explain it.
I dont think I am listening at close to reference levels: post Audyssey I am typically watching things at ~-30dB. So given the volume and size of my room (and by the way, listening positions are all along a single couch right next to the sub), Im struggling with whether the added expense will prove worthwhile...

Glad to provide some insights. FWIW, here's a review of the STF-2 by Ed Mullen, who now works for SVS:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/189521/hsu-research-stf-2-subwoofer-test-review
Quote:
Using 104 dB as a midpoint, the 2M GP FR curve measured an outstanding +/- 2 dB from 25-100 Hz. The response was –9 dB (95 dB) at 20 Hz.

Given that -30dB from reference calls for a maximum peak of 85dB from the LFE channel and with bass management, a maximum of about 93dB from a subwoofer, taking into account the above information, I think the STF-2 should handle those sorts of output levels just fine in a smaller room.
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thank you I really appreciate this guidance.

Could you share your opinion on one other thing?

While waiting to repair the stf2i have been using aklipsch sw-450.

How would you expect the hsu sub to compare?
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong View Post

How would you expect the hsu sub to compare?

Hard for me to say with any sort of certainty. Based on some of the specs of the Klipsch and the measurements of the Hsu, it looks like the STF-2 would have a slight edge in terms of both extension and output capability, although they're fairly close in both respects. In terms of sound quality? I've not used that particular Klipsch to say one way or the other, though other similar models have left a bad taste in my mouth. The STF-2 has a stellar reputation in this respect.
post #10 of 15
STF-2 will be cleaner, louder, and play lower. The most important part, at your listening levels = cleaner.
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the feedback. Youve convinced me to go the repair route.

Now I just need to see whether I am technically capable of replacing the amp...is that a hard procedure?
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong View Post

Now I just need to see whether I am technically capable of replacing the amp...is that a hard procedure?

Very. That's why they let home users do it wink.gif

Really I'd expect even a nincompoop like myself could manage to get the job done without any significant hassle.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong View Post

Thanks for all the feedback. Youve convinced me to go the repair route.
Now I just need to see whether I am technically capable of replacing the amp...is that a hard procedure?

It involves taking out a few screws and disconnecting two wires, you should be fine:D
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post

It involves taking out a few screws and disconnecting two wires, you should be fine:D

Well then you'd just have a big hole in the back of your sub. You have to reconnect the wires to the new amp and then screw the new plate amp on the sub if you want to complete the repair. Maybe this is more complicated than I thought tongue.gif
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Haha thanks guys. This help has been great.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Do I Even Need an Upgrade? Repair Good Enough?