or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Home Theater In A Box › ONKYO HT-S5500 any good?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ONKYO HT-S5500 any good? - Page 2

post #31 of 41
I had the MLT-2s biggrin.gif. Not bad for the cost when you get it on sale. They are basically rebranded Paradigm Cinema 90s
post #32 of 41
Thread Starter 
Well the way I figure it, I may get one (receiver or speakers) for Christmas and I would buy the other one if I go separates. Or I could get something like the 5500 and have a complete system for less than $400. Best Buy does have them in store, so I can check them out, play with it a bit. Maybe I'll see if I can do that this week. I was looking at Denon and Onkyo's lineups and both brands had some nasty reviews on Amazon. The Onkyo's seem to be notorious for having the HDMI board blow out. Anyone here experience or have heard of that?

*EDIT* Scratch that, Best Buy does NOT have the 5500 in store. Only online.
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I had the MLT-2s biggrin.gif. Not bad for the cost when you get it on sale. They are basically rebranded Paradigm Cinema 90s

Haven't seen you for awhile wink.gif I agree with you about the sale price. I think for bookshelves, they're one of the better ones around. Of course that all depends on how discriminating you are.
post #34 of 41
Thread Starter 
Just a post-holiday update:

Decided against the 5500 and am going individual components. Now it's a matter of having the cash to buy the new toys :P

After much debate, I've narrowed down the AVR to Denon - either the 1713, 1813, or save up some more cash and get a 2113CL or the like. honestly the 2113 is probably overkill for my living room (see diagram earlier) as I definitely wouldn't do 7.1 right now and am not really sure I could tell the difference between the MultiEQ and XT version. Because of that, I'm leaning towards the 1913. I want the video upsampling the 1913 offers, as well as a component input for my Nintendo Wii (the 1713 does not have it). I think those two features probably outweigh the benefit of the XT Audyssey but I'm open to suggestions. I'll also need speakers to go with it. I really don't have $1,000 to spend on both right now. I do have $150 in credit with Amazon from gift cards, though to put towards either the receiver or the speakers.
post #35 of 41
as for the 5500. amazon has about 10 bad reviews. The onkyo ht-s5500 is the number 1 selling audio system on amazon. that means there are what a few thousand happy buyers from amazon. there has never been a recall on any part of the 5500. I think a lot of people read where they had a recall of their new receivers at the end of 2011. there was a problem with receivers built between 10/11 and 1/12. onkyo recalled a certain number based on the serial number. BUT the 55o0 didn't come out till what 3 months later? amazon did have the set up for 231 on xmas. I bought it for 253 the day before. I never go by what people on amazon review.
post #36 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmonsh View Post

as for the 5500. amazon has about 10 bad reviews. The onkyo ht-s5500 is the number 1 selling audio system on amazon. that means there are what a few thousand happy buyers from amazon. there has never been a recall on any part of the 5500. I think a lot of people read where they had a recall of their new receivers at the end of 2011. there was a problem with receivers built between 10/11 and 1/12. onkyo recalled a certain number based on the serial number. BUT the 55o0 didn't come out till what 3 months later? amazon did have the set up for 231 on xmas. I bought it for 253 the day before. I never go by what people on amazon review.

Let's review:

First, 12/35 reviews on Amazon are 1 or 2 star. That's is 1/3 of the reviews. So saying there are only 10 bad reviews is very misleading when that 10 comprises a full third of the reviews. And that's just going by Amazon. I based my decision off what I read *here* as well as the Amazon reviews, and Best Buy, and a bunch of other places that sell the 5500. Too many people are having issues with the sub and most 5500 owners are saying that the speakers in general just aren't high-quality speakers. The brunt of the cost of a 5500 is the receiver itself.

Second - If you never go by what people on Amazon review, then you can't argue that there are "only" 10 bad reviews. Either the reviews matter or they don't, good or bad.

Third - Look on here and there are a ton of threads saying to stay away from all of Onkyo's 2012 line. That alone would be enough to make me stay away as I trust the general consensus here.

Anyway, the point is, I've decided not to go with the Onkyo. Am I not allowed to change my mind? Even if 1000 people love it, I don't feel it's the right AVR for me. If you have any advice on speakers or the Denons, I'm all for it. I just don't understand why you would come onto this thread to start an argument, because that's what it sounds like you're saying.

As an aside, I have no idea where you're getting the number that it's the number 1 selling audio system on Amazon, either, because I went through every category and chose Most Popular (there is no top selling option) and it was the second most (Bose was first) on a single category and much lower in others. But whatever, it doesn't matter because I changed my mind on getting that one.
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLittleMike View Post

Just a post-holiday update:
Decided against the 5500 and am going individual components. Now it's a matter of having the cash to buy the new toys :P
After much debate, I've narrowed down the AVR to Denon - either the 1713, 1813, or save up some more cash and get a 2113CL or the like. honestly the 2113 is probably overkill for my living room (see diagram earlier) as I definitely wouldn't do 7.1 right now and am not really sure I could tell the difference between the MultiEQ and XT version. Because of that, I'm leaning towards the 1913. I want the video upsampling the 1913 offers, as well as a component input for my Nintendo Wii (the 1713 does not have it). I think those two features probably outweigh the benefit of the XT Audyssey but I'm open to suggestions. I'll also need speakers to go with it. I really don't have $1,000 to spend on both right now. I do have $150 in credit with Amazon from gift cards, though to put towards either the receiver or the speakers.

I think the Denon is a good choice. Audyssey is cool but you'll get mixed opinions on how useful it really is. If you can afford it, 7.1 is not a bad option to have cause you never know what you're going to do in the future. Most keep their receivers and continue to upgrade their speakers as their listening environment changes (more furniture, less furniture, bigger room, etc). Are you still set on bookshelves or are you leaning towards floor standing?
post #38 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I think the Denon is a good choice. Audyssey is cool but you'll get mixed opinions on how useful it really is. If you can afford it, 7.1 is not a bad option to have cause you never know what you're going to do in the future. Most keep their receivers and continue to upgrade their speakers as their listening environment changes (more furniture, less furniture, bigger room, etc). Are you still set on bookshelves or are you leaning towards floor standing?

That's definitely one of the reasons I was leaning towards the 1913 as well - even if I may not need it now, it's a lot easier to upgrade speakers than it is a receiver. It's also another reason I decided against the 5500, because I don't think the receiver suits my needs. The more I thought about it, the more the 5500 was a this-is-an-okay-all-in-one solution and not something I'd be satisfied with in a few years. Why spend a few hundred now on something I *know* I'm going to want to upgrade versus spending a few hundred more and get something I would be happy to keep for a long time?

So do you think the MultiEQ XT is worth going with the 1713 over the 1913? AC4L has a refurb 1913 (still has a 1 year warranty) for $379. That's a great price for the receiver. It's a refurb, but as I recently learned, sometimes a refurb is just as good if not better than brand new (I had to RMA a brand new video card 2 times since October - the 3rd card they sent was a refurb and it's working perfectly.)

My tentative plan is this:

Buy the refurb 1913 from AC4L
Use my $150 Amazon credit towards speakers (maybe the Energy 5.1 Take Classic's?)

That would be $379 + $249 = $628 for everything (well, minus connectors, wires, etc.)
post #39 of 41
You may want to check over in the speakers forum and inquire about the Audyssey system to get another point of view. Conventional wisdom says it always best to spend a little more on the speakers than the receiver and if you don't mind "manually" calibrating your speakers, the money saved and put towards the speakers might be a good investment. I've heard manually calibrated systems and systems calibrated with Audyssey before and honestly I couldn't tell the difference (for these sized speakers), but to be fair, my hearing acuity isn't what it used to be so I'm not a really good judge. If you are an audiophile or have very discriminating listening requirements, an automated calibration system may be worth it. The Energy Takes are decent speakers and definitely a step up from the Onkyo ones but remember, driver size is where it's at.
post #40 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

You may want to check over in the speakers forum and inquire about the Audyssey system to get another point of view. Conventional wisdom says it always best to spend a little more on the speakers than the receiver and if you don't mind "manually" calibrating your speakers, the money saved and put towards the speakers might be a good investment. I've heard manually calibrated systems and systems calibrated with Audyssey before and honestly I couldn't tell the difference (for these sized speakers), but to be fair, my hearing acuity isn't what it used to be so I'm not a really good judge. If you are an audiophile or have very discriminating listening requirements, an automated calibration system may be worth it. The Energy Takes are decent speakers and definitely a step up from the Onkyo ones but remember, driver size is where it's at.

Technically I'd be spending more for the speakers at $399. Haha. I get your point, though. I'll post over there and see what people think. If I remember earlier from this thread, the Energy's are a good set. And yes, bigger driver = better. I'll keep that in mind. I'm not really an audiophile and I'm coming from the built-in speakers on my Panny 50" plasma, so anything would probably sound like the angels are coming down from heaven. Haha.

Oh yea, and to answer your previous question - I took another look, did some measuring, and I just won't be able to fit floor standing speakers. On the bright side, if I move into a house where I can fit them (or even 7.1's) with the Denon, all I would need to do is replace/add speakers wink.gif
Edited by DJLittleMike - 12/27/12 at 4:20pm
post #41 of 41
If it were me, I'd go with the MLT-2's just because of driver size. I think the Energy's sub is also only 8" whereas the MLT-2's is 10". However, I certainly understand about budgets. You may be very happy with the Energy's ( a lot of people are) and can always take the time to research other speaker options for the future while you're enjoying your new HTS wink.gif And yes, ANYTHING will sound better than the built-in speakers of tv's.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater In A Box
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Home Theater In A Box › ONKYO HT-S5500 any good?