or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Buying my first HT 5.1 system, need your help !!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying my first HT 5.1 system, need your help !!

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Hello,
I am planning to buy my first 5.1 HT system this coming week so I would like to seek advice from you guys before ordering. The HT will be setup in my apartment hall (size 25 x 15 feet) and will be mostly used for TV, audio CDs and FM radio. I would also like to keep the budget below $1000.

I have zeroed in on below configuration -

Speakers -

L/R : Polk Monitor 40 for $109 (20-125w / 47Hz-25kHz / 8ohm / 89db) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290202

Center: Polk Monitor CS2 for $149 (20-175w / 50Hz-25kHz / 8ohm / 90db) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290212

Sub: Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer for $250 (23Hz - 160Hz ) or BIC America F12 12-Inch for $ 200 (25Hz - 200Hz)

Surround: TBD


Receiver -
Denon - 600W 5.1-Ch. Model: AVR1613 for $300


I am proceeding in the correct path ? Should I change any of my above configuration? I also need your advice on finalizing the sub and selecting the surrounds.

Thanks for your help !!!
Edited by Ivargat - 11/21/12 at 4:26pm
post #2 of 24
im pretty much still novice here but i will add the Polk PSW505 is $229 shipped on amazon. i have the bic f12. it is boomy with music, people will say the polk is better with music.
post #3 of 24
Where are you located Ivargat?
post #4 of 24
Thread Starter 
I live in saint louis, why ? smile.gif
post #5 of 24
Thread Starter 
I was checking the forum... I see good reviews on HTD systems, how will below configuration stack up against Polk setup?

Speakers-

L/R : HTD level TWO bookshelf for $199 (Frequency Response: 60 Hz - 20 kHz, Impedance: 8 ohms,,Sensitivity: 87dB)

Center: HTD Level TWO Center Channel Speaker for $129 (Frequency Response: 52 Hz - 20 kHz,Impedance: 8 ohms,Sensitivity: 89dB)

Sub: BIC America F12 12-Inch for $ 200 (25Hz - 200Hz)

Surround: TBD ( $150 budget)


Receiver -
Denon - 600W 5.1-Ch. Model: AVR1613 for $300


HTD setup will cost me about $200 more than Polk, is the difference in quality worth the money? What do you guys think ? I am relying on this forum to finalize.


Thanks !!
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivargat View Post

I was checking the forum... I see good reviews on HTD systems, how will below configuration stack up against Polk setup?
Speakers-
L/R : HTD level TWO bookshelf for $199 (Frequency Response: 60 Hz - 20 kHz, Impedance: 8 ohms,,Sensitivity: 87dB)
Center: HTD Level TWO Center Channel Speaker for $129 (Frequency Response: 52 Hz - 20 kHz,Impedance: 8 ohms,Sensitivity: 89dB)
Surround: TBD ( $150 budget)

HTD setup will cost me about $200 more than Polk, is the difference in quality worth the money? What do you guys think ? I am relying on this forum to finalize.

I will hands down take the HTD over the Polk Monitors, I consider HTD in a higher league and
they are built better.

As for surrounds, AC4L has Acoustic Energy speakers new in the box, and the Black Friday
price is 30% off - this will keep them in your surround budget. They use to list for $250 ea.
The price will change in the cart.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ACENAEGOTSAT/ACOUSTIC-ENERGY-AEGO-AE12-10-T-Series-4in-Satellite-Speaker-Black-Each/1.html
Edited by zieglj01 - 11/22/12 at 10:04am
post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
ok, looks like its HTD !!!

Few more questions ..

Should I pick up a refurb DENON AVR-1712 for $ 270 instead of new Denon AVR- 1613? Which one is better for the HTD setup?

Also,is the Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch sub better than BIC America F12 12-Inch ? they only cost $50 more.


Thanks!!
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivargat View Post

ok, looks like its HTD !!!
Few more questions ..
Should I pick up a refurb DENON AVR-1712 for $ 270 instead of new Denon AVR- 1613? Which one is better for the HTD setup?
Also,is the Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch sub better than BIC America F12 12-Inch ? they only cost $50 more.
Thanks!!

I prefer the 1712 at 90 watts

As far as a sub, I am not big on either one - however, if also going to listen to music,
then I would lean towards the Polk.
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivargat View Post

I live in saint louis, why ? smile.gif

Was going to recommend you check out Fry's for the Denon 1913 which will be $288 on Friday but you don't have one close by. Its an in-store only deal.

that Polk CS2 center is on sale for $99 today only with promo code EMCJJJD23 but if you're going with the HTD then never mind.

I'd get the Denon 1712 over the 1613 also.
post #10 of 24
Thread Starter 
Is there a better sub that will go with HTD around the $250 price point?

Thanks.
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivargat View Post

Is there a better sub that will go with HTD around the $250 price point?
Thanks.

A better sub will cost more, how much overall bass are you looking for.
post #12 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

A better sub will cost more, how much overall bass are you looking for.

Honestly, I have no idea. I am relying on this forum.
post #13 of 24
I would to all around HTD.
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivargat View Post

Honestly, I have no idea. I am relying on this forum.

My recommendation is HSU
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

However, I do understand if one has a budget

If you can swing/stretch above the budget some - then I would go for the
HTD Level Three sub - and ask them about a speaker package >> They
have done package deals before.
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers/Level-THREE-Powered-Subwoofer

If budget is strict and tight - then the EMP sub, to begin the journey
http://www.emptek.com/es1010i_bf12.php
Edited by zieglj01 - 11/24/12 at 8:43am
post #15 of 24
... I was going to say Hsu also for that bottom sub. Glad the other poster agrees as I am out-of-date.
I have the older model classic Hsu for $500 but perhaps I wished I had got the little smaller Hsu.
I don't know product line-up today but the Hsu jr. was a good little sub in the affordable range.
But the clear base sounds real good, and can be tuned to come in when you need it as far as frequency.
post #16 of 24
Thread Starter 
I ended up ordering PSW505 sub, HTD speakers and Denon 1712 !!

Waiting for arrival now. ...

Thanks to everyone for help.
post #17 of 24
Good Luck and Enjoy!
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivargat View Post

I ended up ordering PSW505 sub, HTD speakers and Denon 1712 !!
Waiting for arrival now. ...
Thanks to everyone for help.

HTD speakers and Denon 1712 is a good buy. I would of gone with BIC F12 sub rather than PSW505.
post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

HTD speakers and Denon 1712 is a good buy. I would of gone with BIC F12 sub rather than PSW505.

I see lot of folk's in this forum recommend the polk sub for music so I based my decision on that. I will be doing 80 % music, 15 % TV and 5 % movies in this setup.

If I bump my sub budget to 300, are there any better options?
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivargat View Post

I see lot of folk's in this forum recommend the polk sub for music so I based my decision on that. I will be doing 80 % music, 15 % TV and 5 % movies in this setup.
If I bump my sub budget to 300, are there any better options?

Yes, when the Klipsch is back in stock and is back on sale for $300.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078
post #21 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Yes, when the Klipsch is back in stock and is back on sale for $300.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078

It says out of stock now...price is also 499 now frown.gif.
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivargat View Post

It says out of stock now...price is also 499 now frown.gif.

ETA for being back in stock is tomorrow. You'll have to wait til they are on sale. That "usually" happens on the weekend. If not this weekend maybe the next.
Your patience will be rewarded.
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivargat View Post

I see lot of folk's in this forum recommend the polk sub for music so I based my decision on that. I will be doing 80 % music, 15 % TV and 5 % movies in this setup.
If I bump my sub budget to 300, are there any better options?

BIC F12 is on sale for $198.00. You will have to go into the $500 to get a better sub unless you get a level 2 sub from HTD for $329.00. If the Polk sub will do good for music just use it. Remember is what you like not what other people recommend. A lot of people recommended the new Phase 2 Pioneers and I ended up with the Polk Audio Monitor 70's with Klipsch RW-12D sub.
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivargat View Post

I see lot of folk's in this forum recommend the polk sub for music so I based my decision on that. I will be doing 80 % music

I am not a Polk or Bic fan - however, I would buy the Polk for the more music side. When you
are able to upgrade, I would also skip the Klipsch for mainly music listening.

Good Luck with your journey.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Buying my first HT 5.1 system, need your help !!