or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread - Page 39

post #1141 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

That last paragraph leads me to agree with the assumption that Vizio is waiting for the latest HDMI version.. Any idea when that will be?

I've never read anything I would consider truly definitive about this. However, everything I have read points to late 2013 or maybe even early 2014 (like say simultaneous with CES). That would be a bummer!

Also interesting from Richard's post is that it seems like they're saying that the 70" UHD set will actually be cheaper than the 80" HD set. Didn't they say MSRP on the 80" would be like $5k? Anyone remember?

EDIT: from the hdmi forum FAQ:

"When does the HDMI Forum expect to release the next version of the HDMI Specification?
The HDMI Forum Members and the Board of Directors intend to have the next version of the HDMI Specification available for release sometime in late-2012."

Later in the FAQ it specifically says this newer version is subsequent to v1.4b. Anyway, assuming hardware makers are part of the technical working group, I guess it's possible that they could be shipping v2.0 compliant hardware more or less simultaneous with the release of the spec, though it wouldn't be surprising for there to be at least a short lag.

Anyone know how it went with prior updates? Did hardware ship immediately or some time after the announcement?
post #1142 of 2222
What ever happened to the next great replacement technology for HDMI, HDbaseT? Supposedly it was going become common by the end of 2012.
post #1143 of 2222
I've been hearing a high-pitched buzzing noise from my set when volume is low or on mute. It's not related to the speakers (I can hear it on mute) and it goes away if you turn the set off. It's been getting louder, and now I can often make it out over the sound of the show as well. I assume that it's the power supply or the backlight, but the pitch is such that it is very distracting.

Has anyone else encountered this? I couldn't find any posts on this on the thread.

Thanks!
post #1144 of 2222
Woot.com is selling refurbed models today only! Quantities probably limited.

$1,299.99 + $5 shipping.

http://www.woot.com/offers/vizio-70-1080p-led-smart-tv-with-wi-fi
post #1145 of 2222
Anyone with an older model get the 1.1.7 upgrade?
post #1146 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiantino View Post

Anyone with an older model get the 1.1.7 upgrade?

I think the real question should be has ANYONE gotten the 1.1.7 upgrade
post #1147 of 2222
still v1.1.5 here.
post #1148 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

I think the real question should be has ANYONE gotten the 1.1.7 upgrade

Mine reports 1.1.7. It may have had it from the factory, tough.
post #1149 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftab View Post

I've been hearing a high-pitched buzzing noise from my set when volume is low or on mute. It's not related to the speakers (I can hear it on mute) and it goes away if you turn the set off. It's been getting louder, and now I can often make it out over the sound of the show as well. I assume that it's the power supply or the backlight, but the pitch is such that it is very distracting.

Has anyone else encountered this? I couldn't find any posts on this on the thread.

Thanks!

My neighbor had that buzzing sound on his TV just last week and now it doesn't to turn on. It has a faint burnt smell. He was out of his return window so he has a tech coming this week to fix.
post #1150 of 2222
I am still running 1.1.5
post #1151 of 2222
Any seemingly good Serial Numbers being made for this TV right now???

I currently have this TV and I have the dirty screen thing that has never gotten better .... my 90 days is up this weekend ... gonna go swap it out for another.

I know most we're keeping track of good and bad serial numbers being made ... anything new lately that seems to rock solid???

Thanks for the info guys. smile.gif
post #1152 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoB View Post

I've seen a couple of posts talking about bright spots in the bottom corners. I bought this set Jan 17th at Sams Club, and just recently started noticing strange spots, mostly in the bottom corners but a couple along the sides and maybe one center bottom (about 15 in total I count). They don't really look like dead pixels as they are only visible with a lighter shade color graphic (like white, soft yellows / browns, etc.). Referring to the pics, is this what some of you have seen (they're hard to capture with the camera I was using and you can't really see them all)? Did you return the set because of it? I plan on calling Sams about an exchange since I'm within the 90 day return window but wanted to know what you guys think.

I just returned mine and exchanged for the same reason. It was bought end of Jan I think serial # was a 50.
As you say the "blemishes" are hard to capture by camera, but easy to see by eye closeup when viewing a white/light screen. They can be invisible when viewing normal content from across the room, but I had a few that began to be seen from across the room, especially once you know where they are, They can only be seen where there is a bright light color. Not dead or stuck pixels, just brighter than normal.
I would classify mine as 2 types...blobs the size of a pencil eraser and some that look like they are pixel size.They are mostly along the bottom and bottom sides of the screen. Since I first noticed them they became more numerous over time. Last count was 40 -50 of them, 10-15 of the blob variety and the rest more like pinhead size.
When I went back to Costco, the first thing I noticed was their display tv had similar problem. I could easily pick out more than 10 spots along the bottom when there was a white/light background showing. Display tv was 48 serial number I think.

Hopefully the new tv will not get this problem. If any of you have tv's from around that period you might want to put a white image on them and check them out. I know when I first got mine it was clean and without these defects.
post #1153 of 2222
Any seemingly good Serial Numbers being made for this TV right now???

I currently have this TV and I have the dirty screen thing that has never gotten better .... my 90 days is up this weekend ... gonna go swap it out for another.

I know most we're keeping track of good and bad serial numbers being made ... anything new lately that seems to rock solid???

Thanks for the info guys. smile.gif
post #1154 of 2222
Thread Starter 
Weird, my set turned itself on again last night. It happened to both my E70 and E60 a couple months ago during a power outage, when the power was restored both of them came on at 3 in the morning. No power problems this time, it just turned itself on. It was unresponsive to the remote and then suddenly popped and turned off. I turned it back on and off with the remote and it reacted normally. Maybe some former resident just wants to catch some late night Netfkix. eek.gif
post #1155 of 2222
Hmm ... any chance your firmware was updated?
post #1156 of 2222
Thread Starter 
Nope, still 115.
post #1157 of 2222
Is the "Dirty Screen" look (what most people call it) still an issue in newer serial # panels?

I would hate to return my current one for the same TV and it still have the same issue.

I'm debating another TV or to try another one of these and cross my fingers.
post #1158 of 2222
Is there anybody here that was a former (Samsung) DLP owner. I'm replacing a 61 inch LED DLP and am seriously considering this Vizio. Anybody care to share heir impressions of the transition?
post #1159 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Kocis View Post

Is there anybody here that was a former (Samsung) DLP owner. I'm replacing a 61 inch LED DLP and am seriously considering this Vizio. Anybody care to share heir impressions of the transition?

Hi there,

I owned a JVC HDILA (reprojection/DLP) and just upgraded to the 60 inch version of this TV. I know your asking about the 70 inch version but i have to comment on going from a DLP to a Very thin flat screen was amazing. (my JVC was a beast!!!) Also, the TV doesnt dim over time when the bulb gets a few hours on it. Plus during daylight hours i can have the curtains open and be able to see the TV.

Otherwise i have been very happy with the TV!! Colors and picture are great.


James
post #1160 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post

Nope, still 115.

Rats. frown.gif

Sorry ... i was hoping for a good/positive reason. frown.gif
post #1161 of 2222
Swapped my current Dirty Screen 70" E-Series for another one (thought about trying something different but figured I would give it another try)

The new one is Serial# 14 (looks to be made about less then a month ago and came pre-loaded with 1.1.7

Only watched for a short period of time tonight but the Dirty Screen look that most of these has I have not yet seen.

I will update after a few more days of watching and let you know how the newer serial# panels are looking.
post #1162 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Swapped my current Dirty Screen 70" E-Series for another one (thought about trying something different but figured I would give it another try)

The new one is Serial# 14 (looks to be made about less then a month ago and came pre-loaded with 1.1.7

Only watched for a short period of time tonight but the Dirty Screen look that most of these has I have not yet seen.

I will update after a few more days of watching and let you know how the newer serial# panels are looking.

Are these serial numbers printed on the outside of the box somewhere? And where do I look for the "14" to make sure I dont get the problematic dirty screen panels? thanks...
post #1163 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter520 View Post

Are these serial numbers printed on the outside of the box somewhere? And where do I look for the "14" to make sure I dont get the problematic dirty screen panels? thanks...

Yes it is on the box ... .look for the large white tag with all the UPC's and Bar Codes with numbers etc. (can't miss it) .... there will be a Bar Code that has a set of numbers caleed Serial .....

The Serial number will look something like this .... LFTRNXAP1400651

Look for the section that's bolded and that show the date it was made ... that number corresponds with the week it was built.

If you find something with like 48 or more then it's way old and last years stuff ..... but if your at a Costco then I'm sure it will be new stuff.

The "14" means week 14 of 2013 it was built ... so it was made around the middle of April ... and I purchased it a couple weeks later (most others except for this one was around 03-11 ... the one I got must have just gotten put out to fill the pallet or something and was a new batch).

Soooooo all that being said .... Newer doesn't necessarily mean it will be perfect ... cause it's not! frown.gif

Though a good amount better in this dirty screen issue then before ... but still has some shading and line that can be seen basically in the same spot as the last one .... they are just using cheap panels on these basically and I'm sure they will all have some sort imperfection like this.

Like I said it's better ... but still bugs me when I see the solid color screen move ... or especially on a whiteish sky that's moving or a green background like a football field ..... I can still see the weird imperfection in the screen even in this new one ... It;s better then last for sure but still no dice.

I'm done with this model ... looks like Amazon is showing the new M-Series 70 and 80 inch coming in stock within the next month ... so Costco will be getting it very soon as well. It's gonna be about 1K or a little less more then this E-series but form the looks of things far superior in all areas and hopefully the picture quality and screen issue as well.

Hope this helps and good luck if you decide on this e-series model. smile.gif
post #1164 of 2222
I have noticed in horror movies that there is a blue outline on people in the dark and the ghosting effect is a bit over the top. What settings can I play around with to try to fix this for dark movies? Everything is seems fine so far, and the more we use the TV the better the screen looks.
post #1165 of 2222
Check the sharpness, and the motion enhancing settings
post #1166 of 2222
What do you think... I purchased my first set from Costco on Black Friday and it had issues like everyone else's. I exchanged it after 90 days and the new one has the same issues even though it had a newer manufacturing date. I'm coming up on my 90 days again and wondering if I should even bother exchanging it yet again? I hate to take advantage if Costco's generous no hassle return/exchange policy.... should I just get a sharp 70 or keep exchanging until the M70 comes out or just go back to my perfectly fine non-widescreen 40" tube from 1995? LOL
post #1167 of 2222
Difficult question pchain. Not if you should return the current set, you should, but the M series isn't out yet, the 70" Sony may be a good option, and I'm not sure what the Sharp 757 offers over the 745. The timing sucks for you because your choices are kind of unknown for now.
post #1168 of 2222
Thanks Andy, appreciate your response. . Yep my timing has never been that good...lol.

Costco is now selling the 2013 model LC-70e650u (Costco/SamsClub equiv model number is 6500u) From what I can tell its the same as last years 640u only with a dual core processor plus a couple more apps. I may exchange my Vizio E701-s3 for this one just for comparison sake. That would buy me 90 more days... any thoughts on this Sharp or last years version? Other than the other problems everyone else is having, I can't stand the viewing angle sensitivity of the Vizio. Wondering if the Sharps are any better.
post #1169 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchain View Post

What do you think... I purchased my first set from Costco on Black Friday and it had issues like everyone else's. I exchanged it after 90 days and the new one has the same issues even though it had a newer manufacturing date. I'm coming up on my 90 days again and wondering if I should even bother exchanging it yet again? I hate to take advantage if Costco's generous no hassle return/exchange policy.... should I just get a sharp 70 or keep exchanging until the M70 comes out or just go back to my perfectly fine non-widescreen 40" tube from 1995? LOL

I kept saying I was going to return mine, but never did. To the left and right of center it has a pink tint on a white screen. Drives me nuts, but the screen isnt white that often. Ive decided I will just deal with vizio.

Ive come to the realization that this tv was designed to be used a significant distance from the screen. I thin a couch at 25' would eliminate the viwing issue. But who wants that?
post #1170 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchain View Post

Thanks Andy, appreciate your response. . Yep my timing has never been that good...lol.

Costco is now selling the 2013 model LC-70e650u (Costco/SamsClub equiv model number is 6500u) From what I can tell its the same as last years 640u only with a dual core processor plus a couple more apps. I may exchange my Vizio E701-s3 for this one just for comparison sake. That would buy me 90 more days... any thoughts on this Sharp or last years version? Other than the other problems everyone else is having, I can't stand the viewing angle sensitivity of the Vizio. Wondering if the Sharps are any better.
Viewing angle is pretty much the same with any LCD IMO. Some may be a little better depending on whose panel they are using. Edge lit by it's very make up lends itself to clouding and flash lighting or some kind of screen uniformity issues. Every sample may differ within makes and models. Sucks. LG panels seem to make folks pretty unhappy but you can research and research and end up more confused than when you started. The Sharp the Sony and the Vizio will probably drop to around $2K later this year. On paper the Vizio looks like the best blend of technology, if you can believe their propaganda, but only time will tell. If I could live with 65" instead of 70" I'd jump all over the Panasonic 65ST60. I may end up doing that anyway.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread