or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread - Page 15

post #421 of 2222
Have been salivating over this set for a few months, and finally took the plunge and picked one up earlier this week.

One issue I've been running into is that, to my eyes, the reds seem... orange. Darth Maul's face is orangish, as his light sabre. It's not Evil Crimson.
I also notice that violet tones are very strong - if I watch Sherlock on Netflix, in the Study in Pink, there's a distinct violet tinge in the police sirens etc, and the blues just "pop" too much.

I've tried adjusting the red gain, as per the suggested settings in the thread, but it hasn't had much of an effect. I've also messed around with tint - though everyone else seems to have that set to 0. Nothing has helped much.

Any thoughts? Loving this set otherwise!
post #422 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftab View Post

Have been salivating over this set for a few months, and finally took the plunge and picked one up earlier this week.
One issue I've been running into is that, to my eyes, the reds seem... orange. Darth Maul's face is orangish, as his light sabre. It's not Evil Crimson.
I also notice that violet tones are very strong - if I watch Sherlock on Netflix, in the Study in Pink, there's a distinct violet tinge in the police sirens etc, and the blues just "pop" too much.
I've tried adjusting the red gain, as per the suggested settings in the thread, but it hasn't had much of an effect. I've also messed around with tint - though everyone else seems to have that set to 0. Nothing has helped much.
Any thoughts? Loving this set otherwise!

in the AVS calibration forum you can find links to the AVS calibartion patterns that you can burn to a DVD. I would use these patterns to find good settings for your specific tv.

Rick
post #423 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferry View Post

Quick update. Talked to Costco and Vizio support, and did a hard reset as well. Vizio says there is an updated firmware available, and they are sending it on a USB stick (rep couldn't give me a URL for download). They also said if I connect the set via Ethernet (vs wireless) that the update would come down automatically within 48 hours, but so far that has not worked either. As an aside, I had to move the set to get my Ethernet cable to reach, and it is plugged directly into the outlet. The symptoms have now evolved, and now instead of power cycling it just shuts off. I have turnit back on manually. It will typically drop adio a few seconds before it shuts off, so I know when to pause the movie or game, but REALLY ?!? I really hope firmware is the answer here.
In any case, what version of firmware are your sets running? Mine is 1.1.3.

Power cycling issue resolution update: About a week after Vizio was supposed to have sent a firmware update on USB stick, the tier 1 support crew called to say that a firmware update wasn't sent as it would not solve the issue. Apparently there is not a more recent firmware version at this time, nor is this issue related to firmware (apparently). Instead they rolled a truck and delivered a brand new replacement. The driver installed the new set, and boxed up the old one and took it away. It's been a few days now, and haven't seen the power cycling at all, nor any other issues. My set appears to be the first case of this issue, and I've only heard of one other case so far.
post #424 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletodd View Post

How do I check the dish reciever HD settings? I think its set on HD but Im not positive. Probably go to Menu?

Yes.

Menu button.

6 - System Setup

7 - HD Setup

TV Type 1080i

Aspect Ratio 16x9

Done

Cancel (to exit System menu)

Cancel (to exit Main menu)

Enjoy!

Michael
post #425 of 2222
I've had my tv since Black Friday and have had couple wierd things happen that I am curious if others have had and if they contacted Vizio and what the result was. A few times when using one of the TV apps, the tv has froze and after a few minutes there was some loud popping sounds coming from the TV and the TV restarted. Secondly, the tv has shutoff by itself a few times. In either of these cases, when the tv was powered back on, there did not seem to be any residual issues. Not in a hurry to contact Vizio as I have a 5 year warranty on the tv.
post #426 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_M View Post

I've had my tv since Black Friday and have had couple wierd things happen that I am curious if others have had and if they contacted Vizio and what the result was. A few times when using one of the TV apps, the tv has froze and after a few minutes there was some loud popping sounds coming from the TV and the TV restarted. Secondly, the tv has shutoff by itself a few times. In either of these cases, when the tv was powered back on, there did not seem to be any residual issues. Not in a hurry to contact Vizio as I have a 5 year warranty on the tv.
I've had mine for a month with (knock on wood) no problems, especially none like yours. An app freezing wouldn't bother me as much as the "loud popping sounds" and the restart. I would start a dialogue with Vizio support. I have dealt with them on my first set and they were great. I was never on hold for more than 3 minutes. I'm guessing that at least part of your problem is hardware and therefore cannot be fixed with a firmware upgrade. You said you had a five year warranty? Would that be a Squaretrade from Costco? Just curious. I have one of those. Oh if you do contact Vizio support, have a copy of your sales receipt scanned and ready to send to Vizio via email. That will speed things up.
post #427 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post

in the AVS calibration forum you can find links to the AVS calibartion patterns that you can burn to a DVD. I would use these patterns to find good settings for your specific tv.
Rick

Thanks Rick -

I've already tried to do some calibrations - but thecolor calibrations are difficult to do without filters. Is anyone noticing overly fluorescent blues and orangish reds?
I'm using the CNET settings.

-O
post #428 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftab View Post

Thanks Rick -
I've already tried to do some calibrations - but thecolor calibrations are difficult to do without filters. Is anyone noticing overly fluorescent blues and orangish reds?
I'm using the CNET settings.
-O

I had to back my color setting down to get rid of overly flourscent orange. I think my setting is 46
post #429 of 2222
I was wondering whether anybody had a similar problem. Every once in awhile I see a thin white horizontal line across the bottom of the screen flickering randomly. It is not constant it just happens every once in awhile. Anyone know what this might be? Thanks!
post #430 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiantino View Post

I had to back my color setting down to get rid of overly flourscent orange. I think my setting is 46

I concur. I dialed back my color setting to 47. The colors were just too hot at 50. Looks much better now. I was watching the Rose Bowl, and noting the colors of the red Stanford jerseys. They looked about right with the color at 47, and everything was devoid of the fluorescent look.

Michael
post #431 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchain View Post

I was wondering whether anybody had a similar problem. Every once in awhile I see a thin white horizontal line across the bottom of the screen flickering randomly. It is not constant it just happens every once in awhile. Anyone know what this might be? Thanks!

you might check the the size or position settings in the menu.

Rick
post #432 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollofrito22 View Post

Care to elaborate on this a bit further?

Sorry I really can't say exactly what I did to get it working. Basically I had the onkyo hooked up to the component in for which I was feeding RCA sound to the game input for the wii. I had the tv/cd rcas hooked up for my Xbox 360. I removed all the connections then with the receiver on and since I had Netflix on via the tv at the time I noticed the arc indicator light turned on and I had tv/ cd selected as the input source since I was feeding my Xbox components directly to the tv.
post #433 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchain View Post

I was wondering whether anybody had a similar problem. Every once in awhile I see a thin white horizontal line across the bottom of the screen flickering randomly. It is not constant it just happens every once in awhile. Anyone know what this might be? Thanks!

I have seen it on both the top and bottom, especially on SD sub-channels. I believe the broadcaster is sending data (instead of video) on one of the scan lines. You should not see this on Blu-ray. On old sets, the picture was overscanned, so it was hidden. The new sets may or may not overscan.

Michael
post #434 of 2222
Thanks Michael2000! That would make sense. I have only seen it from my Time Warner cable box/DVR and primarily only on recorded shows. I suppose I could shift the screen down a touch to compensate/hide it Seems odd that I would need to do that. Anyhow thanks a lot for the info!
post #435 of 2222
Another ARC question, I need help.

I have a Yamaha RX-467 receiver and I am very new to all of this so bear with me.

On the receiver the HDMI control is set to "on", the return channel is set to "on" and I have tried various selections for the input source assigned for the audio signals from the TV.

Ont he E7801i-A3 I followed he direction to turn CEC "on", and audio control to "on". The TV will not recognize the Yamaha in device discovery and I cannot get audio out of the receiver. I do however have control of the receiver with the TV remote. The volume buttons change the volume on the yamaha and when you turn the set off the Yamaha turns off as well, so obviously it is connected somehow.

My goal here is to run my laptop video and audio tot he TV and have sound through my speakers. Same with my terrestrial TV, run a coax to the TV and have the sound fed back through the ARC. Is this possible? Like I said I am very new to setting this kind to thing up so be gentle.
post #436 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8yearhawk View Post

Another ARC question, I need help.
I have a Yamaha RX-467 receiver and I am very new to all of this so bear with me.
On the receiver the HDMI control is set to "on", the return channel is set to "on" and I have tried various selections for the input source assigned for the audio signals from the TV.
Ont he E7801i-A3 I followed he direction to turn CEC "on", and audio control to "on". The TV will not recognize the Yamaha in device discovery and I cannot get audio out of the receiver. I do however have control of the receiver with the TV remote. The volume buttons change the volume on the yamaha and when you turn the set off the Yamaha turns off as well, so obviously it is connected somehow.
My goal here is to run my laptop video and audio tot he TV and have sound through my speakers. Same with my terrestrial TV, run a coax to the TV and have the sound fed back through the ARC. Is this possible? Like I said I am very new to setting this kind to thing up so be gentle.

Funny, during last nights NCG, when i changed the volume on my Onkyo, I was getting the TV's volume control bar at the same time as Onkyo volume bar. I was convinced, that my ARC would now work. I fired up Amazon on the Vizio, selected TV/CD, and it DID NOT WORK.

This is REALLY PISSING me off. And unfortunately I dont have another arc capable device to test which unit (TV or Rx) is creating the problem.
post #437 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by drclawscat View Post

Sorry I really can't say exactly what I did to get it working. Basically I had the onkyo hooked up to the component in for which I was feeding RCA sound to the game input for the wii. I had the tv/cd rcas hooked up for my Xbox 360. I removed all the connections then with the receiver on and since I had Netflix on via the tv at the time I noticed the arc indicator light turned on and I had tv/ cd selected as the input source since I was feeding my Xbox components directly to the tv.

Can you post what settings you have on your menu for HDMI Hardware settings and while your at it, audio settings for the TV?
post #438 of 2222
Hi all, I have just ordered this set, and it is scheduled to arrive on Monday. I intend to wall-mount it on a Sanus mount. I am hoping someone who has this set can answer a question:

Are the wall-mounting holes vertically centered or closer to the top or bottom?

I ask because the Sanus web site has a nifty feature to help calculate the right location for the mount, but it needs to know where the holes are located on the back of the TV. If they are not centered it asks for the distance from the top of the TV to the top set of mounting holes. I would love to get the mount on the wall before the set arrives.biggrin.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #439 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhjean View Post

Hi all, I have just ordered this set, and it is scheduled to arrive on Monday. I intend to wall-mount it on a Sanus mount. I am hoping someone who has this set can answer a question:
Are the wall-mounting holes vertically centered or closer to the top or bottom?
I ask because the Sanus web site has a nifty feature to help calculate the right location for the mount, but it needs to know where the holes are located on the back of the TV. If they are not centered it asks for the distance from the top of the TV to the top set of mounting holes. I would love to get the mount on the wall before the set arrives.biggrin.gif
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Just eye-balled the back of my set and I would say they are centered (vertically).
post #440 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post

Just eye-balled the back of my set and I would say they are centered (vertically).

Perfect. Thanks!
post #441 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_M View Post

I've had my tv since Black Friday and have had couple wierd things happen that I am curious if others have had and if they contacted Vizio and what the result was. A few times when using one of the TV apps, the tv has froze and after a few minutes there was some loud popping sounds coming from the TV and the TV restarted. Secondly, the tv has shutoff by itself a few times. In either of these cases, when the tv was powered back on, there did not seem to be any residual issues. Not in a hurry to contact Vizio as I have a 5 year warranty on the tv.

There is a sleep mode on the TV. I had to turn mine off because it would shut off if I had the TV on mute for extended periods of time.
post #442 of 2222
ARC update:

I must have played with this for about an hour today. I played with every setting again (both TV and Onkyo). I REPLACED HDMI cables fearing that my amazon basic was not ARC capable even though it said it was. Nothing. I gave up, and just decided I would buy a roku (for Amazon 5.1 surround). I watched a few hours of tv before shutting down to study for 3 hours.

I finish studying, fire up the tv, and it has annoying habit of turning on the tv speakers even though it it connected to my Onkyo upon startup. Its like its waiting for a confirmation handshake or something. Anyway, after the onkyo established the source (5-10 seconds or so), I noticed an extra light lit up in the display. It was the ARC light. I immediately tested amazon, and success I now have 5.1 surround.

So now, the good, I have ARC and it seems the handshakes are working between the tv and the Onkyo. When I hot the Apps button, it automatically switches my receiver to the TV/CD input.

The bad, when I start up the system, the TV will turn on the speakers and play the audio from tv speakers, while it seems to wait for Onkyo handshake to complete. This is annoying. Even I have TV SPEAKERS OFF, it still plays the audio through the speakers for 10-15 seconds while the onkyo establishes a connection.

Any ideas to fix this.????
post #443 of 2222
Frustrating beyond belief. I hooked up my antenna last night thinking maybe the VGA input wasn't supported. Still no ARC so I went to sleep last night disappointed and was going to just run an optical cable today and be done with it. This afternoon I turn on the playoff game and lo and behold ARC is working great. So I watch for a couple of hours not knowing what happened but content that it was working and I wasn't going to touch anything for fear of breaking it.

It turned the TV on and off a few times and everything still worked great. Then I left for a few hours, came back home and turned the TV on. NO ARC. WTF? It is still connected to the receiver because the volume controls on the TV remote change the receiver and turning the TV off turns the receiver off. Back to square one, **** this TV.

Edit to add: What is even more frustrating is that ARC works for about 3 seconds when you turn the TV on and then you can hear the receiver clicking like it is changing something and it stops.
post #444 of 2222
I spoke with an Onkyo Rep about this yesterday. I reset my TV, did some testing. I like you just had the ARC decide to work one day. I will say, that was after i followed some really specific directions on how to hook up the components and cables on this forum in another thread.

Power Down TV
Power down Receiver
Disconnect HDMI cable from both
Connect HDMI to TV
Turn on TV
Turn on Receiver
Connect HDMI to Receiver

Once I did that it worked the next time i turned it on after a lengthy power down.

The Vizio rep basically told me to use a TOSLINK. That ARC is still in its "Infancy" and is not really reliable. Funny, they dont mention that in the brochure or website. I'm hesitant to use an optical cable becuase I am already getting "some" lip sync issues, and dont want to introduce another process which could give more sync issues.

So, that being said, I am done with the smart apps. Just going to go buy A roku today on amazon or something.

All that being said, for the 1499 i paid for the TV, i really couldnt be happier. Pic looks good, none of the clouding or flashlighting others posted in this thread.
post #445 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollofrito22 View Post


The Vizio rep basically told me to use a TOSLINK. That ARC is still in its "Infancy" and is not really reliable. Funny, they dont mention that in the brochure or website. I'm hesitant to use an optical cable becuase I am already getting "some" lip sync issues, and dont want to introduce another process which could give more sync issues.
I believe using a TOSLINK will eliminate any lip sync issues that your're having.
post #446 of 2222
When i use the wi-fi feature, theres no sound. I have dish network going through a denon 2113, then to my vizio. Do I need an audio cable from the vizio to the denon 2113?
post #447 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletodd View Post

When i use the wi-fi feature, theres no sound. I have dish network going through a denon 2113, then to my vizio. Do I need an audio cable from the vizio to the denon 2113?

It sounds like you are uisng the Denon for your audio, so yes, you need to run a audio cable from the TV to the Denon. Or you can turn on the TV speakers but that might be a hassle to have to turn them on and off. You might be able to use ARC (audio return channel) on the HDMI from the Denon to the TV, but a lot of folks seem to be ahving a problem with that so probaably easier to run the cable from the TV to the Denon.

Rick
post #448 of 2222
Been following this thread for a while, as well at the 60 in thread. I may be wrong but I don't see the complaints relating to sudden panel black/failure that appear to be cropping up on the 60's. Is that simply due to the fact that there are considerably more 60's being sold, so that if some percentage of both 60s and 70s are failing, then there are just more 60s failing for people to write about? Or are the 70s just not as susceptible to this problem?

Looks like the 70s do suffer from the same lip sync issues however, but I'm hoping that either the cable box output change or an eventual firmware update should fix this.

Other than that, major concerns I've seen here are fairly typical for a large set like this, clouding, uneven back lighting, 'feathers', off angle viewing - but these all seem to me to be fairly typical for all these big screen LEDs and I think I can take my chances on them being acceptable. In my mind, you will still see some degree of these issues at double the price, so I'd rather save the $$.

Am I missing any other major issue that existing owners would suggest as a knock against the TV?

The panel failure issue is the one that concerns me most, has anyone seen that as a problem here?
post #449 of 2222
Re; no wif-fi sound; I was advised on the Denan xx13 thread that an optical cable would work. The arc meathod seems complicated, and i only occasionally use the wi-fi app for you tube.10 ways to skin a cat, they all work as long as your not the cat.
post #450 of 2222
Apparently some 60" owners are getting FW 1.1.5 pushed to them. Anyone here have that yet? Apparently it's a fix for the lip sync issue. I solved it via my AVR but I guess I am unsold it if need be smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread