or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms › Furniture question for home theater room ... anyone ever purchased at Bob's Discount?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Furniture question for home theater room ... anyone ever purchased at Bob's Discount?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I went out today and looked at 4 stores for furniture. My plan right now is that I don't really want to go with dedicated HT seats. The reason is because I'm not going to have 2 rows of seating, and it is not a dedicated theater room. So I'm aiming towards like a huge sectional or something that feels more "homey" instead of theater like. If I went with a row of 4 or 5 dedicated HT seats, it's kind of limited. Also I like to lie down sometimes sideways or snug up with the wife while watching flicks.

First place I went to was Bobs Discount Furniture. I typically do not want to buy cheap furniture, however I was looking at some of their sectionals there and they had one that I really liked that was EXTREMELY comfortable that had powered recliners and everything. The setup I would like to get if I did from there would be about $2k + shipping/tax. Here's a link to the one in question.

http://www.mybobs.com/QuantumIIPower.aspx

I'm thinking of getting a left arm power recliner, then 2 armless power recliners, then 1 right arm power recliner chaise. So that is my first thought.

This was another one there I REALLY liked and was SSSSOOO comfortable, but I don't really want a white couch.

http://www.mybobs.com/Modernliving.aspx

I then went to Jennifer Convertibles and that place sucked. I left within like 5 minutes.

I then went to The Big Screen Store to see what they have, and they had actual theater furniture by a company I think called Palliser. I sat in quite a few dedicated HT seats that had the cup holder and reclined, and they were all pretty nice. To be honest they were not nearly as comfortable as I expected these seats to be, especially at the prices. The couch at Bobs Discount was noticeably more comfortable to me.

So I then went to Haverty's which is where we got our couch for our living room, and they have some nice furniture in general. However they didn't have a couch or seating that I would purchase for my area.

I'm basically wondering if anyone has ever purchased more expensive furniture at Bob's Discount, and if so, how do you like it? Again we are trying to steer clear of "discount furniture" in general because the couch we had our last house was like $600 for a couch, love seat, and the matching tables. It wore down quickly too. But this item I'm looking at is $2k so it's not cheap or anything, but it's sold at a discount furniture store so I'm just somewhat uncertain about it. The current couch we have for our living room from Haverty's was like $2200 and it's really nice quality.

So anyone ever bought more expensive stuff at Bob's Discount, and if so how has it held up? Also does anyone have any other stores they recommend (I'm in the DMV area) that have nice theater type couches?
post #2 of 9
Bob's Discount Furniture is of equivalent quality to many of the main brands sold here. The only issue is that there tends to be less options for customization in that Bob's stocks everything in his warehouse where others will do more in the way of custom ordering. With Bob, you can get your furniture a lot faster than other retailers delivered to your home (days and sometimes hours instead of weeks).

Most of the furniture that Bob's carries uses low-grade 1.8 density foam which is increasingly becoming more common. Higher quality foam costs more and lasts longer. If you see a warranty that is five years or less, this usuallly means they are using lower density foam. Of course, they will "market" the fact that it is "plush" and how you can "sink" into it.
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiltown View Post

Bob's Discount Furniture is of equivalent quality to many of the main brands sold here. The only issue is that there tends to be less options for customization in that Bob's stocks everything in his warehouse where others will do more in the way of custom ordering. With Bob, you can get your furniture a lot faster than other retailers delivered to your home (days and sometimes hours instead of weeks).
Most of the furniture that Bob's carries uses low-grade 1.8 density foam which is increasingly becoming more common. Higher quality foam costs more and lasts longer. If you see a warranty that is five years or less, this usuallly means they are using lower density foam. Of course, they will "market" the fact that it is "plush" and how you can "sink" into it.

That is the one thing as far as customization goes. I would prefer another color but it would take 5-6 months they told me, which is ridiculous. Do you have any clue what other stores could sell either of those 2 that I linked to?
post #4 of 9
I've never seen this place, but my Spidey Sense is going off at the name "Bob's Discount Furniture".
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

I've never seen this place, but my Spidey Sense is going off at the name "Bob's Discount Furniture".

Me too, which is why I'm trying to see if anyone has had any experience with their higher end stuff. I mean you can also get a whole set there for like $500, so the quality definitely varies big time.
post #6 of 9
I can give a thumbs up to the Palliser seating you mentioned earlier. I own 4 of their Playback seats. Not sure about the other brands though.
post #7 of 9
Bob's high-end is better than Bob's low end. Bob's high-end is equivalent to many other high-end products only at a lower price. Many higher-end products aren't manufactured that much better, but merely allow for more customizations.
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiltown View Post

Bob's high-end is better than Bob's low end. Bob's high-end is equivalent to many other high-end products only at a lower price. Many higher-end products aren't manufactured that much better, but merely allow for more customizations.

Ah I gotcha. I wish I knew of other places that sold the same couch but in a different color.
post #9 of 9
Hey Purbeast,

I just sent you a PM. Did you end up getting the Quantum II. I am looking at it as well, and really leaning toward it as a good comfort, quality and price compromise for my dedicated theater space.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms › Furniture question for home theater room ... anyone ever purchased at Bob's Discount?