or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Sub under $400 to fill my space
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sub under $400 to fill my space - Page 2

post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by theben07 View Post

Got it today! Thought I'd post a couple of pics. Are there any suggestions for breaking it in? If that's necessary? It is a very good looking sub IMO and it is huge to me, but you can see what I had before. Right now its 80hz crossover, phase 0, and 6 volume. Hopefully my cheap receiver will let me calibrate a little from there.

Does your receiver have bass management? If so, I would set your crossover there and not on the sub (unless I am misreading your post).

Man, what a size difference, you are going to hear and experience things you have not before smile.gif And yes, it is a nice looking sub for the money.

Hold on tight!
post #32 of 45
No break-in suggestions from me, except to use it.

Did you do the sub crawl?
post #33 of 45
Thread Starter 
It looks like all the receiver has is bass volume. But no crossover. So until I get a new receiver, what should the sub be at? Just experiment? I definitely have rattles in the lr that need to be fixed! How I do not know yet. smile.gif
post #34 of 45
Thread Starter 
No sub crawl yet. I'm kinda limited where I can put it unless I ran the cord under the carpet or something but even then...When we get a new couch I'll probably throw it behind it. I'm guessing thats gonna give me more feeling
post #35 of 45
Thread Starter 
here we go. I just saw slickdeals Vk-12 sale. So the question now is vk-12 or PA 150 lol I hate this. I really do like the pa so far
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by theben07 View Post

here we go. I just saw slickdeals Vk-12 sale. So the question now is vk-12 or PA 150 lol I hate this. I really do like the pa so far
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1238402/bic-vk-12-or-bic-pl-200
post #37 of 45
Thread Starter 
Thanks. There's a few mentions of the vk in there. I didn't know it was ranked below to pl200 smile.gif
post #38 of 45
Just play in at moderate levels today. I think the sub and the listener need a few hours to adjust. I have an Epik Legend and the PA 150. The PA 150 appears to go as low as the legend in my room and has a stronger top end.
post #39 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

Just play in at moderate levels today. I think the sub and the listener need a few hours to adjust. I have an Epik Legend and the PA 150. The PA 150 appears to go as low as the legend in my room and has a stronger top end.
Wow that's great to hear since I was considering a legend. You have any amp problems? This sub is blowing me away right now. Very happy. I already want a second for more SPL.
post #40 of 45
I'm in Ack's boat, I'm going to do DIY next, I already have the bug I've only had the pa-150 since October but now I want the strongest lowest frequency extension I can get for the money. Had I done my research before hand I would have probably made the Dayton 18 HO build for only a few hundred more dollars than the pa that can really really get low.
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

Just play in at moderate levels today. I think the sub and the listener need a few hours to adjust. I have an Epik Legend and the PA 150. The PA 150 appears to go as low as the legend in my room and has a stronger top end.

The PA-150 has very strong top end. With room gain, I was getting it to around 25hz but the problem is I have an Hsu VTF-15H which plays strong all the way down to 18hz or so in my room and the PA just can't hang with it around 35hz or so and starts to sound like it.

That said, I paid $1K shipped for the Hsu and $350 shipped for the PA-150 smile.gif I always wondered what three PA-150's would have sounded like compared to one VTF-15H...
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmjc View Post

I'm in Ack's boat, I'm going to do DIY next, I already have the bug I've only had the pa-150 since October but now I want the strongest lowest frequency extension I can get for the money. Had I done my research before hand I would have probably made the Dayton 18 HO build for only a few hundred more dollars than the pa that can really really get low.

Yep, I have the DIY bug too, big time. My brother-in-law does not know it yet, but he is getting my PA-150 as a Christmas gift smile.gif

He is in residency and loves home theater but has tons of school loans to pay back and a new baby. I gave him my SVS SCS-01 speakers 6 months ago and he is loving them but he has no sub... Makes me feel good that the PA-150 is going to a loving home smile.gif
post #43 of 45
Thread Starter 
Man diy sounds like a great way to go down the road. I've gotta say I've been able to really flex this sub's muscle and it sounds GREAT. Yeah it may not go crazy low, but for practical use I'm very happy. I've put the volume down to 3 and in all that space I can still feel it during some blurays and its shaking things in my living room!
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by theben07 View Post

Man diy sounds like a great way to go down the road. I've gotta say I've been able to really flex this sub's muscle and it sounds GREAT. Yeah it may not go crazy low, but for practical use I'm very happy. I've put the volume down to 3 and in all that space I can still feel it during some blurays and its shaking things in my living room!
Glad you are happy with it. Where did you end up placing it?
post #45 of 45
Thread Starter 
Its right where the picture shows it. I don't see see any other place to put it for now frown.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Sub under $400 to fill my space