or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Painted Skin 2 : the Resurrection Movie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Painted Skin 2 : the Resurrection Movie

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Anyone seen this funky film from the east? looks interesting, some fine looking women and cool f/x. It's been a while since a good foreign movie
post #2 of 17
I haven't seen it yet, but it is in my queue.smile.gif
post #3 of 17
The original has Donnie Yen who made the difference. The sequel added more CGI, but that does not make it a better movie. They also used the same actor who played a different role.

As for the story, it's just a rental, nothing more. It was hard to follow. Comparing to Dark Shadows, it's a similar disappointment.
post #4 of 17
As it turned out, I couldn't resist the visuals and ordered the BD.
I am a sucker for this Asian fantasy stuff, almost always find them to be wonderfully creative and entertaining.
Of course, YMMV.wink.gif
post #5 of 17
Well, I'm a sucked too to fall for Dark Shadows's Eva Green, and Zhao Wei in PS II. I never forget her role in So Close, like a Chinese Charle's Angels movie. All terrible scripts but her face could launch thousand ship...
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

As it turned out, I couldn't resist the visuals and ordered the BD.
I am a sucker for this Asian fantasy stuff, almost always find them to be wonderfully creative and entertaining.
Of course, YMMV.wink.gif
The Promise comes to mind if you're into that stuff. Cue that up if you haven't seen it. Btw BB sent me a copy of Painted skin yesterday and they have copies in their store also.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

The Promise comes to mind if you're into that stuff. Cue that up if you haven't seen it. Btw BB sent me a copy of Painted skin yesterday and they have copies in their store also.
I liked The Promise (at least visually).
Have it on DVD somewhere.....
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Just got done with it and it wasn't that great, glad I was able to cue it up. Did you get you copy yet? Hope you'll get more out of it than me. Now this one here with Jet Li The Sorcerer and the White Snake is worth a blind buy, it's just releasing now but you can a dvd on ebay for around $10. And this one is even more elaborate with the f/x and yes, even more hotter women.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=97839

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Sorcerer-and-the-White-Snake-2011-Blu-ray-BD-2D-3D-Version-By-Jet-Li-/170954113148?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item27cda8c07c
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Just got done with it and it wasn't that great, glad I was able to cue it up. Did you get you copy yet? Hope you'll get more out of it than me.
Sorry to hear you didn't think much of it.
I did get my BD copy, but haven't watched it yet....
post #10 of 17
Zoey,

Sorry to disappoint you, but The Sorcerer and the White Snake was another total rewrite of a Chinese classic that got bastardized, but "sex" does sell (rated probably PG in our standard). Chinese writers, like the Japanese, do treat their women like lower caste or sex objects in this movie. So that you know, I'm American-Chinese.

Jet Li should retire.

With all the programmer/developer talents, I found the CGI wanting. Glad I did not buy. The movie did do well in China but that is not a good gauge for quality. Aftershock (about earthquake) is better, but totally different. The Message is an excellent thriller.

Of the two, PS II is a better fare.
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Ok dragonbud, well you're were right about PS 2 in your earlier post so if you say this new one from Jet is even worse then I'll save the $10 for something else and just wait for it on NF next year. That's really a shame because the visuals and direction looked amazing.

Btw, you mentioned that the original PS was better than the sequel so I tried to cue it from both NF and BB and they both only had some painted skin from 1992 with no Donnie Yen when it should be the one from 2008. Strange heh
post #12 of 17
One of my New Year's Eve movies....

This is an excellent fairytale.
Imaginative and fascinating (as almost all Chinese films are).

In spite of some 3rd rate CGI, the visuals are great.

The acting is stellar, particularly the women.

The PQ is fine, AQ is very good.

This is one of those popcorn movies that China is so good at producing.
Sit back with a favorite beverage and forget about the world for a couple of hours.
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
That's great to hear, glad to know you had a good time with it on New year's eve. You probably would enjoy that new one with Jet Li The Sorcerer and White snake too,..this one with even more fine women and similar f/x and fairytale story.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

You probably would enjoy that new one with Jet Li The Sorcerer and White snake too,..this one with even more fine women and similar f/x and fairytale story.
HDNet Sneak Previews has it set for broadcast on Feb. 6th.
I'll be there.smile.gif
post #15 of 17
Zoey,

PS from 2008 has Donnie Yen in it. I've no idea about the PS from 1992.
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

You probably would enjoy that new one with Jet Li The Sorcerer and White snake too,..this one with even more fine women and similar f/x and fairytale story.
Watched it tonite, after recording the Sneak Peeks showing on Wednesday.

Pretty good.
Very fantastical (to be expected) and very imaginative.
There is a romantic plotline that actually works reasonably well (IMO).
I would rate this movie as worthy of a watch.wink.gif
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Watched it tonite, after recording the Sneak Peeks showing on Wednesday.

Pretty good.
Very fantastical (to be expected) and very imaginative.
There is a romantic plotline that actually works reasonably well (IMO).
I would rate this movie as worthy of a watch.wink.gif
Awesome oink thanks...I might just get a BD of ebay this one.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Painted Skin 2 : the Resurrection Movie