or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Watched David Gillmore's "Remember That Night" and "Jimmy Hendrix: Live at Woodstock"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Watched David Gillmore's "Remember That Night" and "Jimmy Hendrix: Live at Woodstock"

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I got bored with the David Gillmore disk. The DSOTM cuts were good though." The Jimi Hendrix disk had horrible sound quality and just wasn't as great as I remembered his music from my LSD days. This is not to say I don't still enjoy his studio music.
post #2 of 15
I'm a huge David Gilmore fan both solo and with PF. I enjoyed all the content on the Remember That Night - Live At The Royal Albert Hall BR very much. I also enjoyed the part of the BR which followed DG around on his tour supporting his On an Island album. The section where DG and Roger Waters had a chance meeting was very interesting.

Bill
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Yes, I've seen rave reviews of it. I think it might have been my mindset when I watched it. I was still waking up. I'm a big fan of the Floyd so I had very high expectations.
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

Yes, I've seen rave reviews of it. I think it might have been my mindset when I watched it. I was still waking up. I'm a big fan of the Floyd so I had very high expectations.

I've had that happen quite a few times when listening to music. If I was not really releaxed and listened to my system with specific music I found the SQ or the music lacking. But when I'm totally relaxed and stress free everything sounds so much better smile.gif. It took me numerous listens to the On an Island CD before I started to enjoy it. I eventually bought this version of Live In Gdansk which has a very good DTS surround version of On an Island on disc 4.

Bill
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

The Jimi Hendrix disk had horrible sound quality and just wasn't as great as I remembered his music from my LSD days.

Be thankful you can at least you can remember those days smile.gif.
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
True. LSD was my drug of choice for several years in the early '70s. Not that it was an addiction, I've never been addicted to anything other than caffeine and nicotine.
post #7 of 15
a lot of the "remember that night" is somewhat mellow but really great if you're in the mood for it. i think gilmour does some great guitar work on it.
post #8 of 15
I've got the Gillmore Albert Hall too, and think it's pretty good However, I TiVo'd the Gdansk (sp?) show from DirectV and thought that was a better performance. I've been trying to find the BluRay version, but struck out. I think it's only available on HD-DVD. Seems kind of strange? Was there a reason??
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagloo View Post

I've got the Gillmore Albert Hall too, and think it's pretty good However, I TiVo'd the Gdansk (sp?) show from DirectV and thought that was a better performance. I've been trying to find the BluRay version, but struck out. I think it's only available on HD-DVD. Seems kind of strange? Was there a reason??

I have the 4 disc Live In Gdansk set that includes the DVD. I have never watched the DVD but I'll have to real soon. I think there is only a DVD as I just did a search for a HD-DVD version but did not find one.

Bill
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I've never been addicted to anything other than caffeine and nicotine.

...and audio-related stuff as well, no? tongue.gif Congrats on the 4311-it's one of my better upgrades.
post #11 of 15
I'm sure at one point I stumbled on a HD-DVD version for sale a few years ago and not having a HD-DVD player, I began searching for the Blu-Ray version to no avail. The DirecTV broadcast was shown in full HD so the footage obviously exists, but seems really odd that they never offered the Blu-Ray version?
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagloo View Post

I'm sure at one point I stumbled on a HD-DVD version for sale a few years ago and not having a HD-DVD player, I began searching for the Blu-Ray version to no avail. The DirecTV broadcast was shown in full HD so the footage obviously exists, but seems really odd that they never offered the Blu-Ray version?

The Live In Gdansk CD/DVD came out in 2008. The HD-DVD format was declared DOA at the beginning of 2008. So I doubt very much that there was ever an HD-DVD version of Live In Gdansk ever released. A Bluray would be great but I'm not sure if that will ever happen.

Bill
post #13 of 15
Although seeing the HD-DVD is what got me interested, and there was a discussion here a few years back about it, you very well might be right.

However, seeing the DirecTV broadcast was in 1080i 5.1 Surround, the media is definitely out there. I just wonder how the channel got the footage? It had to be on something, right? Sony doesn't just stream to the cable channels do they?
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagloo View Post

Although seeing the HD-DVD is what got me interested, and there was a discussion here a few years back about it, you very well might be right.
However, seeing the DirecTV broadcast was in 1080i 5.1 Surround, the media is definitely out there. I just wonder how the channel got the footage? It had to be on something, right? Sony doesn't just stream to the cable channels do they?

Maybe there was discussion about a HD-DVD version but the timing indicates it never happened. As far as the version that DirecTV was showing indicates that possibly the show was shot in HD but it has never made it to Bluray.

Bill
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

The Jimi Hendrix disk had horrible sound quality and just wasn't as great as I remembered his music from my LSD days
the Jimi "Live At Woodstock" BluRay was very good (I thought) overall. I was impressed with the DTS-HD soundtrack re-mix, especially being an old "live" concert of this type. The cool thing, which was a surprise to me, was that the film crew actually captured the complete performance, did'nt realize all that footage still existed. I've watched the original "Woodstock" movie several times and always thought Jimi's famous, edited, end-of-festival, performance was exactly what they show, including the "Star Spangled Banner" (maybe four songs). But when you watch this new re-mixed video you get to experience the event exactly as it happened, very cool.

I love all the various camera angles. Illustrates this historic moment in time very well: it's like 06:00am monday morning, while most of the festival's crowd has begun the exodus home, maybe 100,000 or 200,000 remain and move in close to the stage. Also quite a crowd is planted intimately on-stage, to Jimi's side. You really get to see what Jimi was all about up close, laid-back (sober) and in-control- smooth. This was one of the best performances of Jimi's short career. It was the one rare moment in which his label allowed him to work with a large ensemble instead of the usual rock-trio. He brought in Jerry Velez, conga's; Juma Edwards, percussion; Larry Lee, rhythm guitar; Mitch Mitchell, drums; Billy Cox, bass.

So who was that lucky girl sitting in the chair at the side of the stage, closest to Jimi? One of his girlfriends you think?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Watched David Gillmore's "Remember That Night" and "Jimmy Hendrix: Live at Woodstock"