or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread - Page 57

post #1681 of 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

It looks good, but the white couch and white walls are a mortal sin in AVS forums. It's time to repent.

I know redface.gif ...I did run with a black cloth 'tent' over the front of the room for a while, which gave 3x the ANSI contrast on my older HD350. It got a bit tedious putting it up everytime though so I don't bother these days.

I think the Draper ReAct screen might be the solution since I don't want to decorate the living room a darker colour (it's a light grey so not quite as bad as pure white the photos suggest). It is a lower gain than my current Beamax, but the lamp in my X35 is holding out well so I have plenty in hand if I want to open the aperture to maintain the same fL.

We might also get some new sofas next year too, so I'll try to steer the OH towards something more cinema friendly. wink.gif The new rug made a useful difference in picture and in sound, so it's not all bad...

PS: I've seen an X35 at the dealer I buy my MK speakers from and his room is all black with high (black) ceilings and it does look better. If I ever get to build my dedicated room in future it will be like that, not one of these 'dedicated rooms' that look more like a living room than mine does. rolleyes.gif
Edited by Kelvin1965S - 12/31/13 at 5:19am
post #1682 of 2064

Started a new thread and then I came across this one. I am looking for help with my JVC DLA-RS46U because I keep losing signal while watching blu-rays and some Comcast on demand material. Sometimes just the video goes out and sometimes I lose both sound and video. I am not sure what is causing this and just looking for some direction. It doesn't happen while watching Comcast cable or while playing Xbox 360.

 

Denon 1613 receiver

JVC DLA-RS46U

Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (Model #DMP-BDT220)

post #1683 of 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb708 View Post

Started a new thread and then I came across this one. I am looking for help with my JVC DLA-RS46U because I keep losing signal while watching blu-rays and some Comcast on demand material. Sometimes just the video goes out and sometimes I lose both sound and video. I am not sure what is causing this and just looking for some direction. It doesn't happen while watching Comcast cable or while playing Xbox 360.

Denon 1613 receiver
JVC DLA-RS46U
Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (Model #DMP-BDT220)

My Mitts 6800 used to do that with my Sony DVD player but only on Blu-ray, never SD or streaming and never on the PS3 with Blu-ray or on my DTV.

The 46 did it during one movie on Blu-ray during playback with the Oppo 103 (monster university) but in my case it think it has more to do with the DVDO wireless tx,rx I'm using temporarily. It takes a few seconds to sync when changing movies or when switching sources but all I do is press the sync button on the RX of the DVDO wireless. Personally I don't care for the handshake with HDMI on any source and think its flawed.
post #1684 of 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post

You will generally see more detail in the projected image because the size of the image allows your eyes to resolve it. But because it is a larger image it won't appear quite as sharp. Think of enlarging a static image. However 1080p on all but a very large screen will appear quite sharp.
How high do you want your center speaker and how low do you want your screen? You'll probably want your center speaker at least 18" off the floor and your screen at least 6" from the ceiling, probably a bit more. So let's say you set the screen 8" from the ceiling and the center channel 18" from the floor. Just to keep it simple, factor another 6" for center speaker height (18" was for the pedestal). So the total center height is 24" and we then add 8" for the screen drop to give us a screen height of 52" (7' * 12 = 84" wall height - center height 24" - screen drop 8"). If you figure in the border of the screen you're probably in the 100" diagonal range. You can raise the screen a little and drop center height some and get to a 110" 16:9 diagonal screen (which is 96"x54" or about 56-58" tall depending on the border of the screen). The center channel can overlap the screen border some so you have some room to play with their as well.
Ceiling and wall color make a tremendous difference in the performance of the projector. Dark, flat colors are what you want. All black is going to be about the best, but from aesthetic standpoint may not be an option. Also what will the projector be used for. If it is mainly movies you may consider a scope (2.35:1) screen rather than a 16:9 screen.
AVS is a great place to start.
You may not thank us after you see that big, beautiful, image. It only leads you further down the rabbit hole of this hobby biggrin.gif

Thank you very much for your input! You have given me much to think on.
post #1685 of 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb708 View Post

Started a new thread and then I came across this one. I am looking for help with my JVC DLA-RS46U because I keep losing signal while watching blu-rays and some Comcast on demand material. Sometimes just the video goes out and sometimes I lose both sound and video. I am not sure what is causing this and just looking for some direction. It doesn't happen while watching Comcast cable or while playing Xbox 360

It could be a borderline bad HDMI cable which is struggling with certain content. I would recommend trying a different cable as your first test.

Alternatively, you could set your BD player temporarily to only output 720P and see if the problem goes away - I expect it will.
post #1686 of 2064
Or possibly if deepcolour is switched at the source (or perhaps in the amp if video processing is being done there) on as this would increase data rate through the cable (with no real benefit either).
post #1687 of 2064
with all the encourage in this thread, just bought JVC x35/RS46, it is really wonderful in my living room without light control, even in the low power mode. Great!
post #1688 of 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclub View Post

with all the encourage in this thread, just bought JVC x35/RS46, it is really wonderful in my living room without light control, even in the low power mode. Great!

If you're watching with ambient light and low power mode you are missing a lot. Have you been able to watch in complete darkness?
post #1689 of 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post

If you're watching with ambient light and low power mode you are missing a lot. Have you been able to watch in complete darkness?

sure and will try do this light control step by step. firstly it is watching at night and thick curtains. i am wondering if i shall buy Darbee DVP5000 now or wait for the newer version 5100?
post #1690 of 2064
Does DILA has convergence issue like 3LCD?
Can I check this RS46/X35 as cargo load on the aircraft?
post #1691 of 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

When I hooked up the BD straight to the Projector I used a 6 foot Mediabridge HDMI cable. I also hooked the BD straight to the PJ using the 30 foot Monoprice with Redmere HDMI that is it in the ceiling with exact same results. My brother and I did try hanging a white bed sheet and there was SLIGHT improvement but that could be from the picture getting soaked in the cloth and hiding the imperfections because the picture was not as bright or vibrant as well I don't know.

I'm sanding my screen wall today to get it as smooth as I can then going to paint the theatre paint as that needs to happen regardless. I really do hope that fixes it...

I'm also going to have my brother bring his BD player over with his HDMI cord. After that I will hook my BD player with my cord up to his Plasma TV, which will rule the BD as the culprit or take it out of the equation. At that point it'll be either the wall or the Projector.

Did you ever figure this out? I feel like I'm having the same issue with the 4810. Even with eshit off, or with it on Film but all settings at 0, I'm seeing an extremely grainy picture in most films -- ones I've watched tons of times on my Mits HC4000 with no issues. I've had the Infocus 4805, the Mits 1500, Mits 3000, and Mits 4000, and then briefly the Epson 5030 and now the JVC 4810, and this is the only time I've had an issue with grain/noise.
post #1692 of 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Does DILA has convergence issue like 3LCD?
Can I check this RS46/X35 as cargo load on the aircraft?

Yes, any 3 chip projector is susceptible to potential convergence issues. Depending on the projector model there may be adjustments you can make to mask visible misconvergence to varying degrees. Some have no adjustments, some only have adjustment of the full screen in single pixel increments, and some allow zone convergence in sub pixel increments.

This is all digital scaling, mind you, and not an actual physical realignment of the chips. There may be some subtle loss of resolution in the areas using sub pixel convergence scaling, but most report that using a small amount as an overall positive improvement if you have visible misconvergence from seating distance. I'm not sure what convergence control the RS46 has.

Can't help you with your second question.
post #1693 of 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

Yes, any 3 chip projector is susceptible to potential convergence issues. Depending on the projector model there may be adjustments you can make to mask visible misconvergence to varying degrees. Some have no adjustments, some only have adjustment of the full screen in single pixel increments, and some allow zone convergence in sub pixel increments.

This is all digital scaling, mind you, and not an actual physical realignment of the chips. There may be some subtle loss of resolution in the areas using sub pixel convergence scaling, but most report that using a small amount as an overall positive improvement if you have visible misconvergence from seating distance. I'm not sure what convergence control the RS46 has.

Can't help you with your second question.

I could be wrong but I don't think electronic masking of misconvergence involves any scaling. Isn't it done by adjusting the timing of the signal going to the red and blue chips?
post #1694 of 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I could be wrong but I don't think electronic masking of misconvergence involves any scaling. Isn't it done by adjusting the timing of the signal going to the red and blue chips?

Oh, I have no idea of the specifics involved. I just picked a term I thought was close to what was happening conceptually (digitally altering the image so that it uses parts of two pixels to make one which masks the misconverged color). I may be off on the specifics of what is happening. Either way, scaling probably isn't the most accurate term, but it is basically using some sort of digital manipulation to mask the error and such manipulation can theoretically cause a reduction of resolution in the area bing converged, unless you do a full pixel shift, correct?
post #1695 of 2064
Mike: thanks for trigger help. Found out that if I backed out the plug about 1/8th of an inch it worked. So everything works perfect now.. Screen goes down when pj goes on, screen goes up when pj power goes off.. thanks again..
post #1696 of 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Did you ever figure this out? I feel like I'm having the same issue with the 4810. Even with eshit off, or with it on Film but all settings at 0, I'm seeing an extremely grainy picture in most films -- ones I've watched tons of times on my Mits HC4000 with no issues. I've had the Infocus 4805, the Mits 1500, Mits 3000, and Mits 4000, and then briefly the Epson 5030 and now the JVC 4810, and this is the only time I've had an issue with grain/noise.

What sharpness and detail enhance settings are you running? I know when I first got my X35 (after owning a HD350/RS10 for 3-4 years previously) I noticed some noise on screen especially when closer up. However it seemed to settle down after a while, plus I naturally go through the menus and set it all up properly and run a full calibration (via Lumagen) so I've ended up with sharpness and detail at 0 (since any higher shows noise/ringing/moire on various test patterns). Not an issue at all a year on having also recently run a fresh calibration either.
post #1697 of 2064
could anyone give some guidance on how to improve the performance for fast moving action movie on x35? many thanks.
post #1698 of 2064
Does anyone have a darbee and does it help with noise reduction?
post #1699 of 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclub View Post

could anyone give some guidance on how to improve the performance for fast moving action movie on x35? many thanks.

That's pretty much how it is TBH, though as per my previous post turn the sharpness and detail enhance settings to 0, make sure any noise reduction is turned off and that's about all you can do. Having seen a Sony HW50ES recently I can say that I felt that the motion was better than my X35 (just that the throw didn't suit my room), which was also why I and others mentioned it when you were asking about projectors. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

Does anyone have a darbee and does it help with noise reduction?

I have a Darbee and it's job is nothing to do with noise reduction. If anything it can sometimes increase the effect of film grain, so on those rare occasions I switch it off. See also my comments above re sharpness/detail enhance.
post #1700 of 2064
I think I'm just going to go ahead and get a professional calibration
post #1701 of 2064
Probably well worth it if you haven't got decent equipment to DIY. It took me a few years to get a handle on calibration (and I'm still learning), though the Lumagen 125 point autocal certainly helps I still have to do a fair bit of setting up before hand and the greyscale/gamma by hand as I feel it's a better result this way.

In fact it's probably getting the gamma right that will make the most difference to the picture IMHO since it might not be that great out of the box, especially if you're using one of the gamma options such as A,B or C (?). At least put it in custom gamma, try 2.3 since it tends to measure lower anyway. Might even help on the noise side as well.
post #1702 of 2064
Will do. I been thinking about going with a htpc but it seems like just using my standalone bluray player would be fine. The money i save off the htpc I can out towards a calibration.

I have a panasonic bdp220 I believe as well as a xbox one and ps4
post #1703 of 2064
I'm in the camp where I don't feel there is any difference in picture quality for 1080/24p BluRay players having changed from a basic Sony player to an Oppo 93. Not that I expected a difference (I wanted some other features that the Oppo gave me, plus I upscale DVDs using the Lumagen anyway which IMHO is better than any player, Oppo included).

Be interested to hear how it works out for you.
post #1704 of 2064
So for sure the way to go is the calibration first then.
post #1705 of 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

That's pretty much how it is TBH, though as per my previous post turn the sharpness and detail enhance settings to 0, make sure any noise reduction is turned off and that's about all you can do. Having seen a Sony HW50ES recently I can say that I felt that the motion was better than my X35 (just that the throw didn't suit my room), which was also why I and others mentioned it when you were asking about projectors. wink.gif
I have a Darbee and it's job is nothing to do with noise reduction. If anything it can sometimes increase the effect of film grain, so on those rare occasions I switch it off. See also my comments above re sharpness/detail enhance.

many thanks. Is CMD function helping the motion?
post #1706 of 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

Oh, I have no idea of the specifics involved. I just picked a term I thought was close to what was happening conceptually (digitally altering the image so that it uses parts of two pixels to make one which masks the misconverged color). I may be off on the specifics of what is happening. Either way, scaling probably isn't the most accurate term, but it is basically using some sort of digital manipulation to mask the error and such manipulation can theoretically cause a reduction of resolution in the area bing converged, unless you do a full pixel shift, correct?
Yes. Not theoretical but actually does. Loss of resolution and sharpness. Worse case half pixel shifts.
post #1707 of 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclub View Post

many thanks. Is CMD function helping the motion?

In theory, but then it creates it's own artefacts so I tend not to use it myself, no harm in trying it to see if it helps you though.
post #1708 of 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

What sharpness and detail enhance settings are you running? I know when I first got my X35 (after owning a HD350/RS10 for 3-4 years previously) I noticed some noise on screen especially when closer up. However it seemed to settle down after a while, plus I naturally go through the menus and set it all up properly and run a full calibration (via Lumagen) so I've ended up with sharpness and detail at 0 (since any higher shows noise/ringing/moire on various test patterns). Not an issue at all a year on having also recently run a fresh calibration either.

I've got all noise reduction off and I assume sharpness and detail at 0 if I've noticed it. I'm using a 4810 so maybe that's incorporated into the eshift settings (if so, I have them all set at 0); I will check today.

Another concern is the lens shift. I understood this was a center-firing projector. But I've got it on a 56" tall shelf, and it's level (yes, I used a level; and also, the sides of the image are parallel and not trapezoidal). But when I reset the lens to center with the lens control menu, the image starts just below my 7.5ft ceiling and most of the image is on the ceiling itself. I have to use a ton of lens shift to get the image in the proper position on my wall. I can't imagine this is helping image quality.
Edited by curttard - 1/5/14 at 8:59am
post #1709 of 2064
Sounds a bit odd though TBH I think there is a lot of fuss about lens shift that isn't strictly worth worrying about. I have my X35 mounted level with the top of my screen and have to use about half the available vertical shift to get it lined up. I still have a very sharp image (having checked with the shift near zero it doesn't really get any sharper either on the bits that remain on the screen). Then there is the improvement in ANSI contrast that the older models got by applying some lens shift, which may well still apply in the case of the X series models, but I've not seen measurements (there were some around in the days of the HD350/RS10 which showed a useful improvement compared with zero shift).

Of course my long throw means I'm using no zoom either which tends to help with sharpness having seen some X35/55 in shorter throw set ups since I got mine they don't look as sharp, so perhaps this has a bearing on my results.
post #1710 of 2064
Can anyone here go to Lens Control > Lens Center and see if, at the reset center point, the center of their image is at the actual height of the projector?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread