or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread - Page 3

post #61 of 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Just got my recipt for my 46 from AVS:)

Me too! Now where's that tracking number? smile.gif
post #62 of 2087
Same here. Hopefully will ship tomorrow. Too bad my theater is not ready yet frown.gif
post #63 of 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaddog View Post

Me too! Now where's that tracking number? smile.gif

+1 and my 120" Just got in yesterday.. Good Timing!
post #64 of 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

there is some good info in that post, thanks for posting it here.
Other measures show a very very good preset out of the box for the x35.
I only have the x55 but if the x35 is the exactly the same machine except eshift2, it is a very good projector, better than the x30.
post #65 of 2087
Just so everybody knows, preorder is over for the RS46. smile.gif

Also the RS56.
Edited by AV Science Sales 5 - 12/6/12 at 1:04pm
Reply
Reply
post #66 of 2087
Anyone received tracking number?
post #67 of 2087
Got mine earlier today. Delivery is the 13th. Unfortunately it takes a while for UPS ground to ship from NY to UT...
post #68 of 2087
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaddog View Post

Dragon Reborn, looking real nice with the mount. How's the picture look? Waiting patiently for mine to be shipped...

Thanks. After testing the ceiling mount with a golf bag and added weights (total 45 lbs), I felt confident with its strength. Thanks again to Mike Garrett regarding the tip to use two pieces of plywood.

Tonight I will be aligning and setting everything up properly. I haven't turned it on since watching TDKR.eek.gif

As I mentioned before, going from the 50" Kuro (in another room) to the 100" JVC ... the differences are relatively unnoticeable to me especially compared to what I had before. I'm very happy with how the picture looks so far. biggrin.gif
post #69 of 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Anyone received tracking number?
I received the Sales Receipt on Wednesday, but no shipping confirmation yet. I live in Colorado, so I’m not expecting UPS Ground to be quick either.
post #70 of 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueCanon View Post

I received the Sales Receipt on Wednesday, but no shipping confirmation yet. I live in Colorado, so I’m not expecting UPS Ground to be quick either.

I had asked Mike about this via email and he let me know that they were unable to get all of the orders shipped out yesterday as they didn't come in until the afternoon. He stated that the plan was to get the rest out today. I think it's safe to assume you will probably get the tracking number some time today. smile.gif
post #71 of 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neowulf View Post

I had asked Mike about this via email and he let me know that they were unable to get all of the orders shipped out yesterday as they didn't come in until the afternoon. He stated that the plan was to get the rest out today. I think it's safe to assume you will probably get the tracking number some time today. smile.gif

Thanks Neowulf, The projector should beat the screen here by at least a week, so I'm not too concerned about an extra day or two.
Mike has been great to work with too.

Edit: Shipping Notification just arrived. Can't wait!
Edited by PurdueCanon - 12/7/12 at 1:32pm
post #72 of 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueCanon View Post

Thanks Neowulf, The projector should beat the screen here by at least a week, so I'm not too concerned about an extra day or two.
Mike has been great to work with too.
Edit: Shipping Notification just arrived. Can't wait!

Just got mine as well. smile.gif
post #73 of 2087
Mine just arrived as well. Expected delivery for the 14th.
post #74 of 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Reborn View Post

Thanks. After testing the ceiling mount with a golf bag and added weights (total 45 lbs), I felt confident with its strength. Thanks again to Mike Garrett regarding the tip to use two pieces of plywood.
Tonight I will be aligning and setting everything up properly. I haven't turned it on since watching TDKR.eek.gif
As I mentioned before, going from the 50" Kuro (in another room) to the 100" JVC ... the differences are relatively unnoticeable to me especially compared to what I had before. I'm very happy with how the picture looks so far. biggrin.gif

You are welcome. smile.gif
Reply
Reply
post #75 of 2087
I was asked to post this in the owner's thread. I got my X35 this morning, so here are a few of my thoughts so far, coming from a HD350. I have an Isco II lens, Darbee and a Lumagen Mini3D so I decided that I didn't need to spend the extra £2,100 (in the UK) for the X55:

Just done a very basic set up (the lamp will no doubt settle over the first 100 hours anyway): Just gone for a User setting, 6500K, custom gamma at 2.2, Standard colour space and everything else is still at zero after a quick check with AVS HD709. There is an extra 'Black level' setting that I will have a play with later: There is a bit of light getting past my curtains as it's bright day here, so hard to tell what the setting does.

The very good news is that at these basic settings (and my Lumagen in circuit, but set to 'neutral') I can hit 94 Lux with the aperture down to -15. This gives me 12-14fL and maximum contrast (~50,000:1) due to the minimum zoom/minimum iris setting. cool.gif I have to open it up to -8 for 2.35:1 content with my lens (the steps seem to give smaller increments than my HD350 did), so less contrast in this wider aperture setting.

A quick watch of the start of Casino Royale (the last disc I watched on my HD350) shows that motion is smoother even with the CMD set to 'off'. It may not be as good as the Sony, but I still appreciate the improvement (HD350 never bothered me on this score, but I can see this is better). The picture is very sharp (again a nice improvement over the HD350) and convergence looks good, though I moved the Horizontal Blue setting one click to the right as it seems a hair sharper using a white grid test pattern from the Lumagen.

I've set up a 1.85:1 lens memory for use without my lens and another for 2.35:1 with my lens in place. It takes a few seconds to adjust but in practice by the time I've moved the lens (it's on a stand) the projector will have adjusted ready for whichever aspect I'm viewing. A side bonus with my particular installation is that the image for 2.35:1 can be made slightly smaller than with my HD350, so I can reduce the masking applied in my Lumagen.

The remote sensor must be in a different place or is more sensitive than my HD350 as with my Lens in place I no longer struggle to get the remote to work, which is another nice improvement for me.

Will do some more tweaking later I expect once it gets a bit darker. Merlin* and Strictly come Dancing* will no doubt be my son and OH's choices respectively, so I'll just sit and marvel (I hope) at the improved blacks and smoother motion. :thumbsup:

* BBC HD broadcasts shown on a Saturday night 1080p broadcasts so tend to look better than typical over the air HD fare.
post #76 of 2087
Had a play with the lens memory and found that if I turn off the 'Image pattern' in the 'Lens control' menu, that when I select a lens memory then the image stays visible (instead of seeing the green grid) while it zooms/shifts/focuses. It still displays the message 'Loading lens memory please wait' in the middle of the image, but I think it looks better than the green grid. So far it seems very accurate and repeatable. I only have a small difference for 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 as I use an A lens for the later, but slightly zoom for the 1.85 option. I may load other lens memories later (perhaps a zoomed 2.35:1) if I think of other uses.
post #77 of 2087
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

The picture is very sharp (again a nice improvement over the HD350) and convergence looks good, though I moved the Horizontal Blue setting one click to the right as it seems a hair sharper using a white grid test pattern from the Lumagen.

I was wondering if you know of any other good convergence patterns that I could use to test my X35?

I downloaded the AVS HD 709 calibration disc, but can't seem to get that one chapter for Convergence to play. frown.gif
post #78 of 2087
I wonder the brightness of x35 in 3D mode.
but looks like no one has glasses yet: cool.gif

I saw hw50es, and even though it's quite bright but i wished it to be a little brighter.
It just don't have that punch feel. the pictured feels a little weak overall in 3D.
maybe because I'm used to seeing TV, especially I had Pioneer Elite 70 tv before.
post #79 of 2087
Hi there,

Also have a RS46 on order from AVS, should have it on Tuesday. Am pretty excited..my first projection system, replacing a Panny 56" Plasma.

A question on mounting and the comments on not needing the Chief 281 plate.

I'll be ordering a Chief set-up, and it looks like they do not claim that the 46 can be mounted with the RPA Universal, that you need the 281...

Would prefer universal if it works, so when I upgarde in some years, can reuse.

Does anyone know if this is true, or can I get by with the universal plate?

Thanks

Ralph
post #80 of 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Reborn View Post

I was wondering if you know of any other good convergence patterns that I could use to test my X35?
I downloaded the AVS HD 709 calibration disc, but can't seem to get that one chapter for Convergence to play. frown.gif

Not sure as I just used the first test pattern on my Lumagen which is lots of bright white squares which makes it easy to check the convergence across the screen, hence my 1 click on blue tweak earlier.

I checked the lux reading again having run it for 10 hours today. It's actually gone up a little from 94 to 97 (first reading was after about 30 minutes of use). I've been able to close the iris one click down for my 2.35:1 lens use setting now on -9. This is running HDMI Superwhite so if I chose to clip above 235 by using HDMI Standard then I could gain a little more light if I really wanted to.

It's notable sharper than my old HD350. As I'm at minimum zoom I tend to get a sharper image anyway, but I'm surprised at some details I've now seen: In Casino Royale I noticed Bond has some spots inside his ear in the Swiss hospital scene near the end that I've not noticed before. The blacks are also better despite my room currently being untreated so is quite light walled and a white ceiling, so I'm looking forward to setting up my old 'bat tent' as a temporary fix over Christmas pending something a bit better in the New Year.

So far, it's everything I hoped for considering it's a modest upgrade compared to what the X55 would have been cost wise. I don't regret not buying the X55, but of course I do have the Lumagen for CMS, the Darbee for extra sharpness and detail, plus the Isco lens to condense the pixels for 2.35:1. It can only look even better with a proper calibration using the autocal, but I'll let the lamp settle some more this week.
post #81 of 2087
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudpeacock View Post

Hi there,
Also have a RS46 on order from AVS, should have it on Tuesday. Am pretty excited..my first projection system, replacing a Panny 56" Plasma.
A question on mounting and the comments on not needing the Chief 281 plate.
I'll be ordering a Chief set-up, and it looks like they do not claim that the 46 can be mounted with the RPA Universal, that you need the 281...
Would prefer universal if it works, so when I upgarde in some years, can reuse.
Does anyone know if this is true, or can I get by with the universal plate?
Thanks
Ralph

Not sure about which "RPA Universal" that you're referring to as there are a couple out there. For my Chief Universal (from 2006), it's working:

post #82 of 2087
The current model on Chief website lists as RPAU.....it goes together with the CMA101 Ceiling Mount and any needed extension pipes...

From what I can see from earlier posts about earlier JVCs, doing something with the "foot brackets" seems to make it work...

Perhaps those are the small "L" brackets at the end of your mount?

I'll try to dig in a bit deeper on the Chief site and see if the product looks anything like the one you've got....

A bunch of the other forum posts seemed cranky that JVC had altered their mounting patterns a few years back....

Will feedback if I find the answer..

Thanks for the help...

Ralph
post #83 of 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Reborn View Post

I was wondering if you know of any other good convergence patterns that I could use to test my X35?
I downloaded the AVS HD 709 calibration disc, but can't seem to get that one chapter for Convergence to play. frown.gif

You can find the crosshatch pattern from AVS HD disc.

Misc. Patterns -> Convergence -> Crosshatch pattern
post #84 of 2087
Thread Starter 
I had a chance to do some PS3 gaming on my JVC. I played about 30 minutes of F1 2010. I used to play this a lot and would place in the top 250 in lap times on the Playstation Network, so I do have a fair bit of experience racing. I am not a FPS kind of gamer.

Using my racing wheel, at no time did I feel the game was laggy. Paddle shifting while using manual transmission was quick and responsive. Steering was equally responsive. The JVC was set to Natural mode, and with CMD set to off. Setting CMD to low or high noticeably smoothed motion, but there seemed to be slightly more lag; however, wheel responses were still playable, maybe just not as quick.

Sorry, but I can't do any definitive lag measurements.
post #85 of 2087
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post

You can find the crosshatch pattern from AVS HD disc.
Misc. Patterns -> Convergence -> Crosshatch pattern

For some reason, that's the only part of the HDMV disc that won't play. It gets hung up. Thanks anyways, I just realized there is a MP4 download version that I'll try.
post #86 of 2087
I just checked my firmware version and it's showing 29.001 same as someone else posted further back. On the UK forum our JVC contact GaryB has posted today regarding the question of the X35 needing some firmware rework for 3D ghosting:
Quote:
And, as if by magic, he appears. I haven't heard anything about this, but I've emailed my contacts in Japan to ask if there is an update. I'll post here when I get an answer.
post #87 of 2087
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

I just checked my firmware version and it's showing 29.001 same as someone else posted further back. On the UK forum our JVC contact GaryB has posted today regarding the question of the X35 needing some firmware rework for 3D ghosting:

Thanks for sharing this info. Eager to hear what the official word is from JVC.

From what I've gathered so far (with google translation), it seems like this will not be a simple DIY firmware update because the cover will need to be removed and the motherboard is involved. eek.gif

Anyways, there's no urgency on my part because I don't have the official emitter/glasses yet. Does anybody?
post #88 of 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Reborn View Post

I had a chance to do some PS3 gaming on my JVC. I played about 30 minutes of F1 2010. I used to play this a lot and would place in the top 250 in lap times on the Playstation Network, so I do have a fair bit of experience racing. I am not a FPS kind of gamer.
Using my racing wheel, at no time did I feel the game was laggy. Paddle shifting while using manual transmission was quick and responsive. Steering was equally responsive. The JVC was set to Natural mode, and with CMD set to off. Setting CMD to low or high noticeably smoothed motion, but there seemed to be slightly more lag; however, wheel responses were still playable, maybe just not as quick.
Sorry, but I can't do any definitive lag measurements.

Thanks for posting this. Even though I don't plan on using the JVC for gaming, prefer it on my 30" HP ZR30W. I can't wait to try and see how FSX feels on a 120" screen. Should be epic!
post #89 of 2087
post #90 of 2087
Thread Starter 

Thank you for the review, kraine. It has been added to post #1. smile.gif

One thing I have to disagree with ... Are you sure about those audible noise measurements? Because in low lamp mode, the JVC is MUCH MUCH MUCH quieter than my Optoma HD72 which was rated at 27db, so I'm inclined to believe it really is ~21-22 db as stated in the literature. And in high lamp mode, it is only a little louder than my Optoma, I'd guess in the high 20s or low 30s.

Also, did you experience any of these 3D ghosting issues that have been reported online?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread