or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread - Page 22

post #631 of 2096
Can someone with the updated firmware on the RS46/X35 comment on ghosting in 3D?
post #632 of 2096
I can comment.There is none.Or so little u would never notice unless squinting like crazy to see it.
I cant see any even with the crosstalk cancel setting set at the brightest setting.
post #633 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post

Can someone with the updated firmware on the RS46/X35 comment on ghosting in 3D?

I got mine back a week or so ago (after a board replacement which has the new firmware). At first the 3d was looking worse than when my projector had the origianl board and earlier firmware. I then decided to have my PS3 (current 3D player until I get something better) redetect the video settings and BAM! fantastic 3D now. Where I saw some ghosting in Avatar on original switcher it is no longer there with the new switcher.

In addition without actually measureing with meter I can't say that my eyes notice any real change in brightness (maybe a little less) with the new 3D switcher.

I say if you are planning on watching a fair amount of 3D, I would get the updae done.
Ron
post #634 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzai View Post

I got mine back a week or so ago (after a board replacement which has the new firmware). At first the 3d was looking worse than when my projector had the origianl board and earlier firmware. I then decided to have my PS3 (current 3D player until I get something better) redetect the video settings and BAM! fantastic 3D now. Where I saw some ghosting in Avatar on original switcher it is no longer there with the new switcher.

In addition without actually measureing with meter I can't say that my eyes notice any real change in brightness (maybe a little less) with the new 3D switcher.

I say if you are planning on watching a fair amount of 3D, I would get the updae done.
Ron
Thanks Ron.

I'll be using the PS3 as well..I think it is underrated as a BD Player/media center.

What do you think about the gain on a 100" screen for a cave type environment?
I'm thinking of 1.1-1.3...
post #635 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Reborn View Post

Just a reminder about forum rules: don't discuss projector pricing/deals in the thread ... send a PM.

Thanks for the tip, didn't realize that talking prices was a no-no.
post #636 of 2096
wow allot of info here... great jobs guys cant wait to get mine set up
post #637 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post

Thanks Ron.

I'll be using the PS3 as well..I think it is underrated as a BD Player/media center.

What do you think about the gain on a 100" screen for a cave type environment?
I'm thinking of 1.1-1.3...
My room is pretty close to a cave with the exception of mid to dark blues instead of blacks. This projector is awesome in a dark room. My screen is a 125" diagonal scope with a 1.15 gain. The projector is plenty bright with that screen and a 14 foot throw.

I plan to get a standalone 3D player since the PS3 needs the volume punched up higher and can really wake up the neighbour's when switching sources after and forgetting to turn it down.

Enjoy your setup
Ron
post #638 of 2096
Just set up my X35 yesterday and for the most part it looks absolutely fantastic compared to my old VPL-HW10. There are a couple of issues I wondered if someone could shed some light on:

1. In 24p I've noticed that camera pans are incredibly blurry, but not so much at higher frame rates. This is with Clear Motion turned off of course (can't stand the thing), so is this exactly what I should be seeing?

2. I find that WIDE color space is extremely saturated so I've taken to turning the color space to OFF, which looks pleasing to my eyes. However, Black-and-White footage looks very purplish to me unless I set color space to WIDE. Not a problem if I'm watching B&W films, but it's problematic for films in B&W and colour!

3. This is the only real issue I have: In 24p the projector emits a high-frequency ringing noise that is driving me insane. It's constant throughout the use of the projector and wherever I am sitting/standing in the room (or outside the room for that matter!) and it is loud enough that I can hear it constantly regardless of what I'm listening to at whatever volume. Seriously, it's like someone firing a sound tone directly into my eardrums.

I've noticed people have experienced this problem and reported it at earlier points in this thread. Funnily enough most people seem to report the ringing when in 50/60p modes, but in my case it only occurs when outputting at 24fps! Has anyone who has experienced this issue later found the noise to dissipate once the lamp has settled in enough? It really is robbing me of any enjoyment I can possibly have of watching 1080p/24fps footage as I've always been very sensitive to ringing (it's like I have a bad case of tinnitus when watching Blu-rays). frown.gif
Edited by Shingster - 3/25/13 at 1:12pm
post #639 of 2096
Not suffering the issues you mention, but just to comment that 'off' and 'wide' are fairly similar in their oversaturation when I measured mine. Standard is the closest to rec709 out of the box. Changing the colour space does seem to effect the colour temperature so you will need to adjust the whitebalance depending which colour space you use. Without calibration equipment all you could do for B&W is try different colour temp options such as 5500 or 6000 but even these might require RGB adjustment: Node each mode has separate RGB settings 'memory' even if you select the same colour temp so any adjustments have to be done per mode.

Some are more susceptible to the JVC's motion blur, though having come from an older HD350 to the X35 I found motion has been improved. However, I would recommend that you check the sharpness and detail enhance settings since I have had motion issues on my old HD350 with these set too high (which IMHO means pretty much anything a click or two above zero). Also make sure that the various NR options are set to a minimum too (depending which mode you are using they may be on by default).

I have tinnitus so can't comment about the ringing noise, though I'm sure my son or OH would have commented if there was a problem.
post #640 of 2096
In my case I've found OFF and STANDARD to be quite close, but WIDE in anything over than the CINEMA setting to be absurdly saturated. I'll have to sit down later tonight with a B&W film and see what can be done. At the moment I've got SHARPNESS & DETAIL set to 5 & 10 respectively, so I'll decrease them and see whether that helps with the panning effect. Blurriness might not be the most accurate description, it's more like the edges of things goes blurry and flickers quite abruptly. Not the end of the world but noticeably uglier than the way my old VPL-HW10 handled camera pans (but then I guess each display tech has its own weakness & strengths).

As for the ringing, I've discovered that setting the lamp power to HIGH removes the noise altogether (although the fan noise is like a vacuum cleaner going off! biggrin.gif), but if I switch to HIGH for a few seconds then switch back to LOW then the ringing becomes more of a "chirping" and isn't quite so bad (although still at an unacceptable level imo).
post #641 of 2096
I'm just going on what I measured (plus of course there will be variation between examples). On mine using 'Off' measured pretty much the same as 'wide'. I used wide as a base since I have a Lumagen Mini3D for CMS so wide gives it something to work with as standard was slightly undersaturated on blue IIRC. If I didn't have the Lumagen then Standard on mine is pretty good though (especially compared to my old HD350 when used without external CMS).

Are you 100% sure that you have CMD switched off since using different modes can have it on low by default? I found a similar effect with it on low for 24p content, so I went through each mode and turned it off to be sure.

That noise issue doesn't seem right though, I don't recall seeing anything mentioned about this (only on the Sony thread if not using an external 3D emitter).
post #642 of 2096
I'm going by eye so you can imagine how accurate that method is! biggrin.gif I'll definitely give it a more thorough examination later on with a variety of sources, but the only thing I am confident about is that OFF or STANDARD give the best results so far. CMD is definitely switched off, I can spot it a mile away even when it's set to LOW, so I went through all my picture modes and turned it off.

About the noise: I don't have the 3D emitter for my projector, don't have the set up to handle 3D so I went for the cheaper option of not having it! Could that possibly make a difference? So far in this thread there have been four people that I've discovered who have reported a high pitch sound coming from either the X35/RS46 or the RS4810: moviefan123, schwa, Kris Deering, szepi0808 (a friend of his). Interestingly, most of these people described the issue when their projector was in 1080/60p rather than 24p, and szepi0808 mentioned that his friend got a replacement lamp and it solved the issue. Perhaps that is the best course of action for me? I presume if I had to resort to that it would be JVC customer service I would have to contact?
post #643 of 2096
My X35 will make the high pitched (noise, ringing) when the D-ILA logo shows up before the source is selected but then goes away.

I can tell you that until JVC service changed the circuit board in mine due to a start-up (or lack of starting up) problem I would get the high pitched noise that I think you are talking about more often depending on the source. But then again I only had the projector a couple of weeks before the startup problem happened.

Ron
post #644 of 2096
Just to reply that my X35 is 2D only as well so I have no emitter connected. I'll listen out next time it's on, but I'm sure my Son would have commented if there was an obvious issue since he always goes on about those high pitched 'cat scaring' devices some people have in their gardens.
post #645 of 2096
One other thing I've noticed that's just playing on my paranoia: When in LOW lamp setting I'm not really getting much in the way of airflow out of the projector's left vent. The right one blows enough hot air out that it could qualify as a heater, but the left one barely has any noticeable airflow (when I place my hand in front of it). Is this normal?
post #646 of 2096
Could I get an administrator. To delete multiple posts. Damn tablet:mad:
post #647 of 2096
just got my rs46u and was wonderng how to eliminate the led look that comes out of the box. I was only able to try in on the wall at a 5 & 8ft range. was i too close or am i on to something?

Room is being finished hopefully shortly so im trying to get ahead of the curve. I have a 110" cinascope screen getting ready to be put up soon and the throw will be from 15'.
post #648 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post

One other thing I've noticed that's just playing on my paranoia: When in LOW lamp setting I'm not really getting much in the way of airflow out of the projector's left vent. The right one blows enough hot air out that it could qualify as a heater, but the left one barely has any noticeable airflow (when I place my hand in front of it). Is this normal?

Yes, it is letting air in, not out.
Reply
Reply
post #649 of 2096
Also just to let people know, we received a few B-stocks yesterday. Just give Craig or I a call.
Reply
Reply
post #650 of 2096
Thanks Mike!.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the intake/outake vents clear of any dust clumps that might clog it up? My old VPL-HW10 got fairly clogged up over time and I had to carefully wipe it away, but with the JVC you have that mesh over the vents so it's harder to get in at them.
post #651 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Myke View Post

just got my rs46u and was wonderng how to eliminate the led look that comes out of the box. I was only able to try in on the wall at a 5 & 8ft range. was i too close or am i on to something?

Room is being finished hopefully shortly so im trying to get ahead of the curve. I have a 110" cinascope screen getting ready to be put up soon and the throw will be from 15'.

Depends what viewing mode you have it in at the moment.

If you start with one of the User modes and just set that up with a 'Standard' colour space that should reign in the colours for a start. The turn down/off any NR/Detail enhance/Sharpness settings, try 6500 or 7000 colour temp and experiment with the different gamma options then that'll probably do until you have enough hours for a calibration. Turn down the aperture setting towards -15 then slowly open it until you get an image that is bright enough for your taste/screen.
post #652 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzai View Post

My X35 will make the high pitched (noise, ringing) when the D-ILA logo shows up before the source is selected but then goes away.

I can tell you that until JVC service changed the circuit board in mine due to a start-up (or lack of starting up) problem I would get the high pitched noise that I think you are talking about more often depending on the source. But then again I only had the projector a couple of weeks before the startup problem happened.

Ron
My 4810's ringing noise is also loudest when the D-ILA logo appears. The longer the projector is on the more faint the noise becomes but it never seems to completely go away. And yes, it varies depending on source input. My wife says she doesn't hear it but I think some people just don't notice it. And due to the nature of the noise, its loudness depends on projector placement and room shape/size. I'm 99% sure it's the lamp or lamp ballast making the noise since I've noticed similar sounds on other projectors and on the two RS46s I had before my RS4810 so I'm not too worried about it. I don't notice it while watching a movie, that's for sure, and the projector is almost directly above my seating position about 3-4 feet above my head.
post #653 of 2096
Just had mine on and couldn't hear any ringing noise.I sit about 8' in front of it though and I was watching 'Expendables 2' at near reference level. Even when I paused the film I couldn't hear any noise from it though, so maybe distance or acoustics (or even 50Hz mains since I'm UK based)?
post #654 of 2096
I think it's pretty common for projectors to "squeak" or "ring" while they're starting up isn't it? My last Sony VPL-HW10 certainly did and this new JVC-DLAX35 does, but in my case switching to 24fps outputs a very specific tone that is completely constant and doesn't change volume over time, it's just there: "beeeeeeee" regardless of my position in relation to the projector. The only thing that seems to affect it is switching to High lamp mode & then back to Low as I mentioned before, then it seems to gain a stutter, so it sounds like a series of beeps: "beep, beep, beep" and on. The irony is that if it was occuring for 50fps/60fps material then I could learn to live with it, but 24fps basically means I have to sit through it for 90% of the things I use my projector for.

I'm gonna phone JVC on monday and see what they think of the issue, I really hope it is a specific problem as then it can actually be fixed, obviously if it is a general issue then it's going to be a lottery as to whether a replacement lamp or projector will share the issue or not.
post #655 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post

I think it's pretty common for projectors to "squeak" or "ring" while they're starting up isn't it? My last Sony VPL-HW10 certainly did and this new JVC-DLAX35 does, but in my case switching to 24fps outputs a very specific tone that is completely constant and doesn't change volume over time, it's just there: "beeeeeeee" regardless of my position in relation to the projector. The only thing that seems to affect it is switching to High lamp mode & then back to Low as I mentioned before, then it seems to gain a stutter, so it sounds like a series of beeps: "beep, beep, beep" and on. The irony is that if it was occuring for 50fps/60fps material then I could learn to live with it, but 24fps basically means I have to sit through it for 90% of the things I use my projector for.

I'm gonna phone JVC on monday and see what they think of the issue, I really hope it is a specific problem as then it can actually be fixed, obviously if it is a general issue then it's going to be a lottery as to whether a replacement lamp or projector will share the issue or not.

What kind of lights do you have in the room?
Reply
Reply
post #656 of 2096
Just the one, a standard philips energy-saving lightbulb (UK bulb).
post #657 of 2096
I heard the ringing as well during startup for the first week. It was concerning, but it just went away. (My hearing goes up to 15khz)
post #658 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post

I think it's pretty common for projectors to "squeak" or "ring" while they're starting up isn't it? My last Sony VPL-HW10 certainly did and this new JVC-DLAX35 does, but in my case switching to 24fps outputs a very specific tone that is completely constant and doesn't change volume over time, it's just there: "beeeeeeee" regardless of my position in relation to the projector. The only thing that seems to affect it is switching to High lamp mode & then back to Low as I mentioned before, then it seems to gain a stutter, so it sounds like a series of beeps: "beep, beep, beep" and on. The irony is that if it was occuring for 50fps/60fps material then I could learn to live with it, but 24fps basically means I have to sit through it for 90% of the things I use my projector for.

I'm gonna phone JVC on monday and see what they think of the issue, I really hope it is a specific problem as then it can actually be fixed, obviously if it is a general issue then it's going to be a lottery as to whether a replacement lamp or projector will share the issue or not.
lamp causes a beep. need to be replaced.
post #659 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Here is another JVC throw calculator ( applies to the current line up also ) - http://pro.jvc.com/pro/lens_calc/HTML/jvc_REF.html

This calculator seem to suggest, if I go for a 2.35:1 screen that is 65" tall then the projector can be mounted anywhere from about 17.4 feet to 35.36 feet. Can this be correct?

http://www.draperinc.com/ProjectionScreens/ProjectionCalculator.asp calculator recommends a screen with 2.3 gain for this set up to work.

My house is under construction and my basement with 9' ceiling will have a 16'10" X 20'7" media room. It's not enclosed. I was set on a 133" 16:9 screen which will be 65" tall. But, if I can make this projector work on a 2.35:1 screen that is 65" tall with a screen of about 1.3 gain, I'll rather go that route. OR WILL IT BE TOO OVERWHELMING?, WILL THE SCREEN BE TOO LARGE? WILL THE PROJECTOR BE TOO FAR BACK AND NOT BE BRIGHT ENOUGH? i would really appreciate an answer from anyone with experience on this stuff. I am a complete projector noob
Edited by pcarfan - 3/30/13 at 12:36pm
post #660 of 2096
The calculator gives the right results for my measurements (103" 16:9 screen from approx 11ft away), so I would trust the values it's giving you (they sound about right). As for whether the screen will be too overwhelming or not, it all depends on how far back you'll be sitting from the screen. My personal rule is that you can't go too big on the screen size if you're sitting a sensible distance away, and I can assure you that once you get over the "wow" factor of having your first projector up & running you will soon settle into the "I wonder if I could get away with a larger screen..." mentality, so providing you're not intending to sit 6ft away from the screen I'd say go for it!

Whether the image will be too bright/dull will depend on your room, is it all white walls? Is there going to be any light-leakage from windows, etc? Dark walls & no windows or back-out blind/curtains will always be best, but I think the X35 should be able to cope more than well enough in a 16ftx20ft room even if you can't tailor it to those conditions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread