or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › How to do a large room on a small budget.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to do a large room on a small budget.

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I'd like to get some opinions on which way to get with my current situation. Our home has an "open" floorplan, which means that the living room, kitchen, and dining room are all in one large room that measures approximately 21'x26'x9'. To make things worse, it is open to a 13'x13' game room (via a 3-4' arch) and open to a 11'x11' foyer. Oh yeah, and the open stairs are adjoining. Floor is tile on concrete slab. Ughh.

I'm hoping to spend around ~$300 for a sub. Looks like the current $300 winner here is the Kplisch RW-12D. But would it be better to get multiple cheaper subs? I could get three Dayton 12's for the same price (of course I would have to find some place to put them).

Any opinions on single or multiple (cheaper) subs?
post #2 of 21
I would look into near-field placement, ie an endtable placement or right behind your seat. That way the bass will hit the listening position with some force before it is completely dissipated throughout the room. No cheap sub is going to energize that entire room.
post #3 of 21
I would get 3 Daytons before 1 RW but shadyj has a point.
post #4 of 21
I'd get the RW-12D and add a second one later down the road.

And then a 3rd and 4th. biggrin.gif

No telling how long they will be available though.
post #5 of 21
my old set up was a room that was 15x27x11 that opened up to the foyer and game room. fairly similar to yours. i had 2 BIC PL-200s in that set up. they had enough energy to make the sectional shake from 14' ft away if i wanted. they rattled dishes in the kitchen 30ft away and broke a porcelain horse of my wifes [ it was ugly anyways ]. im sure 2 RW's would be at least as good, better more than likely, but 2 PL-200s are no joke.
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax911 View Post

I'm hoping to spend around ~$300 for a sub. Looks like the current $300 winner here is the Kplisch RW-12D. But would it be better to get multiple cheaper subs? I could get three Dayton 12's for the same price (of course I would have to find some place to put them).
Any opinions on single or multiple (cheaper) subs?

My opinion, expecting to fill your described space with bass sound on a $300.00 purchase, would be like expecting to date an "A" list celebrity on a fast food budget. Just saying, it ain't gonna happen. In truth, if one is wanting some soul satisfying bass in a space that size, they're gonna have to step up to the "Big Dogs" or buy little dogs and be unhappy with the result. My opinion, it would be better not to buy anything at all, save the money, add to it and later buy a pair of Big Dogs that go "Woof, Woof, Woof!" instead of "bark, bark, bark."

It's your call if you want big dog sound or little yapper sound. If you buy a bunch of little yapper subs, that's what you're going have, a pack of little yapper subwoofers. Not trying to be flip in my comments, I'm sincerely trying to give a rational, comparative response.

Which is it going be? Little horns that go beep, beep, beep or big horns that go AAAAAAAOOOOOOOGAAAAAAAH! That is the question for a space your size.

-
post #7 of 21
I have a similar dilemma but 13x21x9 so smaller but still not "small." Mostly movies with not much concern for the music side of this setup.

One RW-12d or two Daytons? Also, I have a Denon 2112 with Audyssey MultEQ XT. Without XT32 that can equalize two subs, will I have issues if I add two Daytons?
Edited by Anodyne - 12/2/12 at 8:55am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Quad4 View Post

my old set up was a room that was 15x27x11 that opened up to the foyer and game room. fairly similar to yours. i had 2 BIC PL-200s in that set up. they had enough energy to make the sectional shake from 14' ft away if i wanted. they rattled dishes in the kitchen 30ft away and broke a porcelain horse of my wifes [ it was ugly anyways ]. im sure 2 RW's would be at least as good, better more than likely, but 2 PL-200s are no joke.

Being able to rattle dishes isn't indicative of anything. I can do that a unbalanced washing machine though it wouldn't be a good sub. wink.gif
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

My opinion, expecting to fill your described space with bass sound on a $300.00 purchase, would be like expecting to date an "A" list celebrity on a fast food budget. Just saying, it ain't gonna happen. In truth, if one is wanting some soul satisfying bass in a space that size, they're gonna have to step up to the "Big Dogs" or buy little dogs and be unhappy with the result. My opinion, it would be better not to buy anything at all, save the money, add to it and later buy a pair of Big Dogs that go "Woof, Woof, Woof!" instead of "bark, bark, bark."
It's your call if you want big dog sound or little yapper sound. If you buy a bunch of little yapper subs, that's what you're going have, a pack of little yapper subwoofers. Not trying to be flip in my comments, I'm sincerely trying to give a rational, comparative response.
Which is it going be? Little horns that go beep, beep, beep or big horns that go AAAAAAAOOOOOOOGAAAAAAAH! That is the question for a space your size.
-
You failed at being sincerely rational, or any other kind of rational and a lot of those "A" list celebrities dont eat much.biggrin.gif
Edited by Bond 007 - 12/3/12 at 9:16am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

Being able to rattle dishes isn't indicative of anything. I can do that a unbalanced washing machine though it wouldn't be a good sub. wink.gif
lol
post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the input thus far. I'm guessing the big dog range is $1k+, and that's not going to happen. Is there anything in the $4-500 range that is worth saving up for for a room this size? DIY thoughts?
post #12 of 21
Do you want to energize "the room" or the listener positions? I like the idea of an RW12D placed nearfield and then save another $300 and get another later (assuming they'll still be available in a few months
post #13 of 21
Tuba HT is a big dog and it can be done for around your budget. A space that size needs a big sub, and a horn loaded sub will put most of these "big dogs" out to the farm.
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

You failed at being sincerely rational, or any other kind of rational and a lot of those "A" list celebrities dont eat much.biggrin.gif

But the price of what they do eat. eek.gif

"How much!? She had two glasses of house wine and one hors d'œuvre!"

I'd vote for a pair of on sale at Newegg, Klipsch, RW-12d's or better yet, if the budget will allow, two now and later, add two more RW-12d's.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 12/5/12 at 5:59am
post #15 of 21
BeeMan... do you coach football at Coastal Carolina?

post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post

BeeMan... do you coach football at Coastal Carolina?

No. That was hilarious. But it sounds like I'd fit right in. tongue.gif

LOL!

Need more dogs. Got no use for a locker room full of prima donna kitty cats. If I catch anybody wearing new shoes, they're benched. And somebody, fix that screen door! tongue.gif

As to his firing, based on his record, the college president should have been relieved. But that's another story.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 12/5/12 at 8:31am
post #17 of 21
OP,

I think in the $400 - $500 range this could be your best bet:

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-1000#.UL-Qv-TAd8E

I used to have an SVS PB10-NSD in a large space and it did surprisingly well.
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

No. That was hilarious. But it sounds like I'd fit right in. tongue.gif
LOL!
Need more dogs. Got no use for a locker room full of prima donna kitty cats. If I catch anybody wearing new shoes, they're benched. And somebody, fix that screen door! tongue.gif
As to his firing, based on his record, the college president should have been relieved. But that's another story.
-

I didn't really understand what that guy was saying lol.
post #19 of 21
I would go DIY. If you don't have much woodworking experience you can order flat packs here:
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-packs-1/subwoofer-flatpacks-2.html

Otherwise you can always buy wood at Lowes or Home Depot and have them make the cuts for you for cheap. You will simply get more value for your money.

Look for sales. I just picked up for $700:
4 Dayton 15" DVC388-85 drivers for $99 each with free shipping
1 Berhinger iNuke3000DSP amp to power the four drivers for $296 with free shipping

I have the tools already, so net cost after painting and other supplies should be under $1K to build four 5 cu ft (internal) subwoofers that are ported at 19hz. Based on my modeling I will be able to play reference at the seating position and well into the teens with room gain.

You could always build one or two now, and then build more later as you get funds. If WAF is a concern you could go with smaller sealed boxes using the 15" drivers (3.3 cu ft box models well).

You just can't touch that with a commerical subwoofer and there are tons of threads on how to build and finish subs.

If you are buying multiple subs you will need to address room EQ and buy some measuring gear. The iNuke above has DSP and EQ built in.
post #20 of 21
Im about to purchase a pa-150. I also have an open floor plan and this sounds like a great candidate. review here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1350647/premier-acoustic-pa-150-data-bass-test-results
post #21 of 21
Thread Starter 
The PA-150 looks promising, and less time consuming than a DIY. I'll have to give it a closer look.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › How to do a large room on a small budget.