or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Klipsch RW12-d Power Cord
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Klipsch RW12-d Power Cord

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Does anyone know what cord and where to buy, I bought 2 of the subs from Newegg but one was missing the power cord and they told me to call Klipsch but they are open during the week and then I will probally have to wait to have them ship a new one. So I thought if I could just buy one i would do that, I'm kinda having issues not being able to hook both up!
But seeing as how I don't know what cord to buy or if it is the right thing to do i figured i would ask people more knowledable than myself.

Thanks guys
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog View Post

Does anyone know what cord and where to buy, I bought 2 of the subs from Newegg but one was missing the power cord and they told me to call Klipsch but they are open during the week and then I will probally have to wait to have them ship a new one. So I thought if I could just buy one i would do that, I'm kinda having issues not being able to hook both up!
But seeing as how I don't know what cord to buy or if it is the right thing to do i figured i would ask people more knowledable than myself.

Most detachable power cords on audio gear are one of 3 or 4 different kinds:.

IEC



"Micky Mouse"



Non polarized Panasonic



Polarized Panasonic:



etc.

Here's a well-known source of such things.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/browse/Replacement-Cords/0000000410

Google is your friend.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
It looks like the IEC power cord but the female end only has 2 hole not three will it work if i buy one with three holes and try to use it?
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog View Post

It looks like the IEC power cord but the female end only has 2 hole not three will it work if i buy one with three holes and try to use it?
Get the proper cord.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog View Post

But seeing as how I don't know what cord to buy or if it is the right thing to do i figured i would ask people more knowledable than myself.
Thanks guys
Buy one that looks the same as the one you have. If it is something semi-unique to Klipsch you probably won't be able to find one locally.
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
I looked on the other cord it is a YC-11 10 amp 125 volt cord. I just figured if I could use a three holer till I can get the right one from Klipsch I would. I know the third hole is the ground and didn't think it would matter much, but didn't know. It's funny they don't have these as three prong cords.
post #7 of 15
If it's a two prong female connector then it's a polarized plug using the neutral return lead as the ground. As long as it's a polarized plug, it'll work fine.

....................................rolleyes.gif

The idea of a shaped plug is to make sure the user doesn't get it wrong.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 12/1/12 at 9:38am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

If it's a two prong female connector then it's a polarized plug using the neutral return lead as the ground. As long as it's a polarized plug, it'll work fine.
....................................rolleyes.gif
The idea of a shaped plug is to make sure the user doesn't get it wrong.
-
What kind again?
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog View Post

It looks like the IEC power cord but the female end only has 2 hole not three will it work if i buy one with three holes and try to use it?

Two hole IEC?

Are you sure it isn't this?



This is called a Teac-Sony power cord and ain't cheap,

The 3 pin IEC plug won't work with it, unless you do some questionable carving on the rubber.
post #10 of 15
This is the power cord:



The Polk PSW505 uses the same type of cord.
Edited by XStanleyX - 12/1/12 at 11:23am
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thanks Guys I have looked everywhere but Murphy's Law dictates that I am screwed, but alass my Electrical Engineer neighbor just told me he would bring me one home from work tonight! sweet!!!biggrin.gif
post #12 of 15
Yeah, I tried finding one online but came up dry. Nice to have friends.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

What kind again?

eek.gif

Polarized!

biggrin.gif
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
For anyone who cares, the saga continues, my neighbor didn't have that cord at work. So this morning I called Klipsch like Newegg told me to do and the guy told me to go buy one at radio shack and anywhere else that sells power cords, so I explained that the cord on the sub is a POLARIZED (BEEMAN458) plug with two male and female parts and he told me it wouldn't matter to just use a three prong and that the ground will just not plug into the sub. I asked him if it would hurt anything and he said no, which I am somewhat sceptical of. I have one of those plugs in my hands now but not sure wether I should use it.
On another note Newegg finally sent me an email, albeit three days after me contacting them about the issue, wanting to know the condition of the box and to confirm my address before seeing if the warehouse has any of those plugs laying around to send me. I'm sad, just very sad. The big sub just sitting there wanting to play with his brother!frown.gif
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog View Post

I asked him if it would hurt anything and he said no, which I am somewhat sceptical of. I have one of those plugs in my hands now but not sure wether I should use it.

Look at the plug on the sub. Are the blades of a different size? If one looks at extension cords around the house, if using contemporary extension cords, they'll note one blade opening is larger than the other and if one looks at the bladed end of the extension cord, they'll note one blade is slightly flared. This is done so short of forcing a plug into an outlet, by design, a person will be forced to properly plug polarized items into polarized wall outlets.

If one were to open up a wall outlet to either 120v or 240v, they'll note the wires are either red, black, white or green. Green is ground and white is Neutral return (ground) and the Red/Black legs are hot leads. Each carry 120v to be carried back to 'Earth," the electric generation plant via the White lead. The ground is for if there's a short to metal casing or the mechanical insides of the appliance, the 120v will be bled off to (Earth) via the Ground lead to allow the current to flow as opposed to shorting and creating heat which can cause a fire. This simply another way for the electricity to access Earth or Ground.

Yada, yada, yada, long story short, as long as the big blade (male) goes into the big blade opening (female) of the power cord , assuming whom ever installed the wall outlet, did so correctly, you're good to go.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 12/3/12 at 6:29am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Klipsch RW12-d Power Cord