So the time came to get started on my wall panels.
I dropped into bunnings and picked up some Meranti for the project,
Most lengths were pretty good, but I had one slightly twisted, but just found a way to hide that part of the panel
Anyway, I started out by making frames:
I was pretty tired at this point, so not a whole lot of photos, but I cut a few panels of Tontine Acoustisorb3 insulation to fit within the panels, and then wrapped using my 30m roll of Trilogy fabric (thanks for the recommend).
I should mention at this point that I did actually wrap them all essentially using the wrong side of the fabric... by the time I realised I was over half way through and guess the chances of me starting again... thats right - Nil.
Then I used a complex system to hang the panels:
Screw in drywall anchors in the walls, with round head screws poking out about 1 inch.
then on the panels I put some full round hooks so basically the panel hooks sit on the screws in the wall and then they are easy to put on and take off, and the hardest part was lining them all up..
The second hardest part was changing all of my calculations when I hit the switchbox for the power where i needed to mount a panel.
Anyway - the finished job, excuse the poor photo:
I got out the Audyssey mic and went to recalibrate... doh! not working! it was recognising that the mic was plugged in, but not getting any noise from it - so it was cactus. Got the local hifi to order in a new one and recalibrated it.
I noticed big improvements in vocal clarity, but also the HF range - listening to Eagles "Hotel California" in DTS HDMA5.1 at 0db was much improved - the cymbals and wind instruments all sounded clearer, and less listening fatigue.
Surprisingly bass response has tightened up in the room also - the bass in the first row (main listening position) seems to be increased, without there being any actual adjustment to the LFE levels. Its not something that I could hear as such, mainly feel the difference. Maybe thats just psycho-acoustics at work there.
Anyway I have just done the front and 2 side walls now, so still need to work on rear and ceiling, but happy with results, and only cost me approx 700ish in materials.
The colours go together much better IRL than in the photo, the camera oversaturates the red, and is further distorted by the blue lights from the stage.
its a darker red in person and feels much better in warm light and less obvious.