or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Klipsch RW-12d on sale for $299 at Newegg.com again today!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Klipsch RW-12d on sale for $299 at Newegg.com again today! - Page 38

post #1111 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Based upon the local tiered electric utility schedule, over a year, at an added $0.31.kw hour, that 15w drain costs one about $41.00/year. Based on one's discretionary income, will depend on how this number will impact their psychic.

(24 hrs in a day times 365 days in a year times 15W/hr, times)/1kW, times $0.31/kw hrs lets one know monetarily, over a year, how much electricity is being sucked out of the wall.

As a retired person, we're sensitive to issues of this kind and when one adds a pair of these little wall piggies, you're now at $82.00/yr and when a few more wall warts are added to the mix, things start to add up.

Just saying.

-

Per Wikipedia:

In the past standby power was largely a non-issue for users, electricity providers, manufacturers, and government regulators. In the first decade of the twenty-first century awareness of the issue grew and it became an important consideration for all parties. Up to the middle of the decade, standby power was often several watts or even tens of watts per appliance. By 2010 regulations were in place in most developed countries restricting standby power of devices sold to one watt (and half that from 2013).

I assume that means a whopping 24w in a 24hr period. If I am correct (as I always am tongue.gif) then if you can't afford an extra 24w a day, you shouldn't even be on this forum. Maybe
"home theater in a box" would be more appropriate? (Not picking on you Beeman, and your fuzzy math......... biggrin.gif )

Vardo
Edited by vardo - 3/9/13 at 5:58pm
post #1112 of 2776
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FVYXY0/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everyone should have a good quality sub cable. Something like this MAY help with anyone having noise issues with their sub. It is insulated unlike an ordinary RCA cable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EBX5GW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Adding a splitter at the sub like the one above will double the standby signal received by the sub and is a way of getting it to come on at a lower volume. It will do NO HARM to the sub. Another way of getting the signal to come on at a lower volume would be to increase the volume IN THE AVR. You can then compensate by turning down the gain ON THE SUB and that will keep your overall volume the same.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DL2OVE/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If anyone wants to hook up 2 subs to an avr that has only 1 sub pre out then all you need is one of these.
post #1113 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post

How easy would it to be hook up an additional Klipsch RW-12d and have them in front in each corner? Would it be overkill for a room that measures 10' x 24'? Should you ever put a subwoofer in the back?

I think anyone here would tell you that there is no such thing as bass overkill.

biggrin.gif

Location depends on the room, but response will be more even with two subs than with one almost anywhere. Almost.

Sub crawl still works.

My second sub is in the back. Works out great for me.

Go for it!

post #1114 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardo View Post

"home theater in a box" would be more appropriate?

.....eek.gif
post #1115 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Based upon the local tiered electric utility schedule, over a year, at an added $0.31.kw hour, that 15w drain costs one about $41.00/year. Based on one's discretionary income, will depend on how this number will impact their psychic.

(24 hrs in a day times 365 days in a year times 15W/hr, times)/1kW, times $0.31/kw hrs lets one know monetarily, over a year, how much electricity is being sucked out of the wall.

As a retired person, we're sensitive to issues of this kind and when one adds a pair of these little wall piggies, you're now at $82.00/yr and when a few more wall warts are added to the mix, things start to add up.

Just saying.

-

Per Wikipedia:

In the past standby power was largely a non-issue for users, electricity providers, manufacturers, and government regulators. In the first decade of the twenty-first century awareness of the issue grew and it became an important consideration for all parties. Up to the middle of the decade, standby power was often several watts or even tens of watts per appliance. By 2010 regulations were in place in most developed countries restricting standby power of devices sold to one watt (and half that from 2013).

I assume that means a whopping 24w in a 24hr period. If I am correct (as I always am tongue.gif) then if you can't afford an extra 24w a day, you shouldn't even be on this forum. Maybe
"home theater in a box" would be more appropriate?

Vardo

That's fine if you have newer stuff, but since the Klipsch apparently is an older design and burns more than 1W in standby, per the previous measurement of 15W (which is a lot better than the other guy who measured 250W), that's 360Wh per day, which still isn't a whole lot...
post #1116 of 2776
Today when I got home I tested one of the subs again.
Left it on, the yammaha c-90 pre amp that runs the sub was powered off and it has the push on, push off power switch, no stanby on it, so the chance of noise keeping it on were pretty slim.
Anyway, after an hour, the sub still showed standby on the display, and 15 watts on the killl-a-watt.
post #1117 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

That's fine if you have newer stuff, but since the Klipsch apparently is an older design and burns more than 1W in standby, per the previous measurement of 15W (which is a lot better than the other guy who measured 250W), that's 360Wh per day, which still isn't a whole lot...

My opinion, one buys an on sale Klipsch, RW-12d at Newegg because they're a budget minded shopper and other choices are outside their budget restrictions. Allow an old man to wax philosophically; those who don't understand the value of a dollar, loose benefit of that dollar because a dollar gone, is just that, gone.

Fifteen W/hr = r11kWh/mo @ $0.31/kWh. And when a pair of subs is included in the mix, has the ability to move one up to the next pricing tier on their utility pricing schedule which has the affect of upping the price of all the electricity being used. When one starts knitting all the unnecessary annual dollars of together, that amounts to a lot of dollars which are better used at a wintertime B&B watching the warm waves crash over the beach for a few days. wink.gif

Personally, I'd rather spend $80.00 on a new sound meter this year then give the money to the utility company so I can leave two electrical sucking subwoofers in standby mode. Oh, wait, I already did that......a couple of times. tongue.gif

I'm not being cheap in my above as truly, I really do find better use for our limited monies then unnecessarily giving it away to insurance companies, cell phone companies, local grocery stores, mocha lattes and unnecessary wintertime utility charges.

Just saying.

-

(steps off old man soapbox)
post #1118 of 2776
Since we are talking about real world electric bills. This has been my experience. I live in an apt where the heat is paid for. In the winter my electric bill averages $25.00/month (yes, its true). I bought a 60" plasma tv in June and an RW12 around the same time. I already had a BicF12 sub. The plasma tv, which is by far the most energy consuming tv type that you can buy replaced a 47" full led tv which is the lowest energy consuming tv type that you can buy. I keep the F12 on all the time because I had trouble getting it and the rw to sync coming on together and it is just easier to leave it on. So let me just recap because that all may seem confusing in retrospect. The following is my situation.
I went from:
1 sub on standby all the time and a 47" full led tv
to
1 sub on standby, 1 sub on all the time and a 60" plasma tv
I have seen NO significant difference in my electric bill. And with a $25.00/month average I think I would notice it. I am not saying that it doesnt cost any more because of course it does. But the difference cant be more than maybe $2.00/month.
So for those thinking that leaving a sub on standby or turning it off is going to save you enough for a Caribbean cruise I think its unlikely.
Edited by Bond 007 - 3/9/13 at 4:32am
post #1119 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by glugus2000 View Post

Today when I got home I tested one of the subs again.
Left it on, the yammaha c-90 pre amp that runs the sub was powered off and it has the push on, push off power switch, no stanby on it, so the chance of noise keeping it on were pretty slim.
Anyway, after an hour, the sub still showed standby on the display, and 15 watts on the killl-a-watt.

Thanks for the measurements!
post #1120 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Since we are talking about real world electric bills. This has been my experience. I live in an apt where the heat is paid for. In the winter my electric bill averages $25.00/month (yes, its true). I bought a 60" plasma tv in June and an RW12 around the same time. I already had a BicF12 sub. The plasma tv, which is by far the most energy consuming tv type that you can buy replaced a 47" full led tv which is the lowest energy consuming tv type that you can buy. I keep the F12 on all the time because I had trouble getting it and the rw to sync coming on together and it is just easier to leave it on. So let me just recap because that all may seem confusing in retrospect. The following is my situation.
I went from:
1 sub on standby all the time and a 47" full led tv
to
1 sub on standby, 1 sub on all the time and a 60" plasma tv
I have seen NO significant difference in my electric bill. And with a $25.00/month average I think I would notice it. I am not saying that it doesnt cost any more because of course it does. But the difference cant be more than maybe $2.00/month.
So for those thinking that leaving a sub on standby or turning it off is going to save you enough for a Caribbean cruise I think its unlikely.

Just for comparison, my electric bill for a 3br house is about 75-80 during warmer months, 120-140 during colder months (furnace/space heaters being big difference). I have 5 subs running on standby in various rooms, plus various electronics, two refrigerators, some night lights in various places. Could probably bring that down by a few bucks a year but the convenience is something I'm currently willing to pay for and if the bills went up as I added the subs, I didn't notice any change either (but when I leave the electric heater on by error in the downstairs bathroom....that I can tell the difference on). Apartments can be nicer about utility bills, but I can play a movie at reference any time I want and not bother my neighbors (nor them bother me) smile.gif
post #1121 of 2776
I believe that the Kilpsch originally started building this sub in Sept 2008. They are still building
them as per this thread. If, when in standby mode, it is putting out more than 1 watt per hour,
they (Klipsch) are building subs that are in non-compliance with the current rules that have benn
put into place. Maybe not, as the original build was in 2008, and the sub might have been given a "pass" by UL
because of the date of original manufacture.

I have no interest in this sub, but I personally think it's a terrific buy, and a well made subwoofer
for it's time (and still is). Either way you can't go wrong for the $299 price on newegg, or even when it is not on sale.
The PSA subs that I have put out 1 watt per hour in standby mode, but that's a brand
new company and have to be built to current agency standards.

If I were in the market for subs, I would feel you can't go wrong at it's price point, and would
certainly consider duals, or save up for a second sub if I currently didn't have the funds
for duals.

vardo
post #1122 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardo View Post

I believe that the Kilpsch originally started building this sub in Sept 2008. They are still building
them as per this thread. If, when in standby mode, it is putting out more than 1 watt per hour,
they (Klipsch) are building subs that are in non-compliance with the current rules that have benn
put into place. Maybe not, as the original build was in 2008, and the sub might have been given a "pass" by UL
because of the date of original manufacture.

I have no interest in this sub, but I personally think it's a terrific buy, and a well made subwoofer
for it's time (and still is). Either way you can't go wrong for the $299 price on newegg, or even when it is not on sale.
The PSA subs that I have put out 1 watt per hour in standby mode, but that's a brand
new company and have to be built to current agency standards.

If I were in the market for subs, I would feel you can't go wrong at it's price point, and would
certainly consider duals, or save up for a second sub if I currently didn't have the funds
for duals.

vardo
What do you mean by "still building them as per this thread"? Klipsch shows them as discontinued.
post #1123 of 2776
Bond,

This is an old thread, but some posters infer that this sub is still being built
by Klipsch, for newegg. If I'm wrong then I stand corrected, because I have
read only about a few dozen posts as of late. Klipsch does show this sub as discontinued,
but some believe this sale will go on for a fair length of time.

An old thread, but it is still up and running. A lot of discussion going on.

vardo
post #1124 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

What do you mean by "still building them as per this thread"? Klipsch shows them as discontinued.

I think someone already pointed out that their sub had a build date of last fall. So apparently Klipsch is still building them for Newegg, even though they are discontinued on the Klipsch website.

Not the first instance of this. Klipsch/Energy was doing the same kind of thing with Vanns for the Energy RC series speakers even after being listed as discontinued. I got the impression that Vanns was ordering large quantities of speakers and then having them directly shipped from China to Vanns by Klipsch. Probably similar situation here.
post #1125 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardo View Post

Bond,

This is an old thread, but some posters infer that this sub is still being built
by Klipsch, for newegg. If I'm wrong then I stand corrected, because I have
read only about a few dozen posts as of late. Klipsch does show this sub as discontinued,
but some believe this sale will go on for a fair length of time.

An old thread, but it is still up and running. A lot of discussion going on.

vardo
I dont know if youre wrong or not. You seemed to be stating it as a fact and thought you might have some insider info. As far as I know one person claims to have one with a build date of 12/2012 but I wouldnt consider that evidence that they are still building them. Thanks for the post.
post #1126 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

As far as I know one person claims to have one with a build date of 12/2012 but I wouldnt consider that evidence that they are still building them.

What would that indicate then? That Klipsch was post dating the manufacturing date of the subs? That doesn't make any sense. What it does indicate is that Klipsch is building the subs for Newegg even though they have been discontinued on the website. The Klipsch RW-12d has been discontinued for a long while before that date.
post #1127 of 2776
Just for fun I just took the driver off to see if I could see any date evidence, on the driver was a number format that looked like a date but unless it's from the future (12/10/23) that's wasn't it....maybe you have to take the amp off. Anyone know where the build date might specifically be?
post #1128 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

What would that indicate then? That Klipsch was post dating the manufacturing date of the subs? That doesn't make any sense. What it does indicate is that Klipsch is building the subs for Newegg even though they have been discontinued on the website. The Klipsch RW-12d has been discontinued for a long while before that date.
Call me cynical. I would like to hear it from more than one person. Wouldnt you? I dont go around stating things as fact because I heard it from 1 person on the internet.
post #1129 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Just for fun I just took the driver off to see if I could see any date evidence, on the driver was a number format that looked like a date but unless it's from the future (12/10/23) that's wasn't it....maybe you have to take the amp off. Anyone know where the build date might specifically be?

Not all countries print dates like we do in the States. That could be 10/23/2012 but then again Klipsch is an American company but I wouldn't know where that driver was made.
post #1130 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Not all countries print dates like we do in the States. That could be 10/23/2012 but then again Klipsch is an American company but I wouldn't know where that driver was made.
I was thinking the same thing. But it could be 12/23/2010 also and would actually make more sense. But it may not even be a date. I am not saying that Kilpsch is not still making them for Newegg. They may be. But it could be some other reason that they keep getting them. I dont know. I am just as curious as anyone else.
post #1131 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Call me cynical. I would like to hear it from more than one person. Wouldnt you? I dont go around stating things as fact because I heard it from 1 person on the internet.

Well, the Internet Archive shows a page cache that indicates the sub was discontinued over a year ago in December of 2011:

http://web.archive.org/web/20111213130450/http://www.klipsch.com/rw-12d-subwoofer

Assuming that the person could manage to read the date on the back of their sub correctly, seems enough evidence for me to make it a credible assertion since we KNOW Klipsch has done this with other online vendors. That is, until someone that has bought a sub from Newegg in the last couple of months can provide a manufacture date from before December 2011.
post #1132 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Well, the Internet Archive shows a page cache that indicates the sub was discontinued over a year ago in December of 2011:

http://web.archive.org/web/20111213130450/http://www.klipsch.com/rw-12d-subwoofer

Assuming that the person could manage to read the date on the back of their sub correctly, seems enough evidence for me to make it a credible assertion since we KNOW Klipsch has done this with other online vendors. That is, until someone that has bought a sub from Newegg in the last couple of months can provide a manufacture date from before December 2011.
Fair enough. Do you know where the date can be found?
post #1133 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Just for fun I just took the driver off to see if I could see any date evidence, on the driver was a number format that looked like a date but unless it's from the future (12/10/23) that's wasn't it....maybe you have to take the amp off. Anyone know where the build date might specifically be?

Not all countries print dates like we do in the States. That could be 10/23/2012 but then again Klipsch is an American company but I wouldn't know where that driver was made.

The international dating system, that the US doesn't take part in, is normally dd/mm/yy. I'm in international business and the only forms I've seen that put dates otherwise are specific government forms that may put the year first. I don't know enough about manufacturing date codes to say for that, so I suppose it's possible still.
post #1134 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Anyone know where the build date might specifically be?

In the case of our Klipsch made subs that were made in 1994, the dated inspection tag was glued to the top of the inside of the box. In our case, one has to remove the foam sheet that was loosely placed inside the box to access the initialed and dated inspection tag.
post #1135 of 2776
HEY! ONE OF YOU GUYS WITH A NEW RW-12d FROM NEWEGG!!

(sorry for shouting)

Can you look on the back of the sub and see if there is a manufacturing date? People are curious whether or not Newegg is getting them manufactured even though they were discontinued over a year ago.

Thanks! smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Fair enough. Do you know where the date can be found?

Well, maybe we'll find out now smile.gif
post #1136 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

HEY! ONE OF YOU GUYS WITH A NEW RW-12d FROM NEWEGG!!

(sorry for shouting)

Can you look on the back of the sub and see if there is a manufacturing date? People are curious whether or not Newegg is getting them manufactured even though they were discontinued over a year ago.

Thanks! smile.gif
Well, maybe we'll find out now smile.gif
Thats how you do that. biggrin.gif
post #1137 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

HEY! ONE OF YOU GUYS WITH A NEW RW-12d FROM NEWEGG!!

(sorry for shouting)

Can you look on the back of the sub and see if there is a manufacturing date? People are curious whether or not Newegg is getting them manufactured even though they were discontinued over a year ago.

Thanks! smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Fair enough. Do you know where the date can be found?

Well, maybe we'll find out now smile.gif

Well, mine's from three months ago, no date on the panel, that's why I pulled the driver to look. May pull the amp another time. Someone mentioned that Klipsch might have an inspection sticker with a date somewhere in there.
post #1138 of 2776
I just looked all over my box. No date. I wonder if there is a way to find out by serial #? For us, I mean.
post #1139 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I just looked all over my box. No date. I wonder if there is a way to find out by serial #? For us, I mean.

"Box." Good idea. Here's mine:

 

 

I don't know about anyone else, but 05/2012 sure looks like a date to me.

Michael

post #1140 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

"Box." Good idea. Here's mine:




I don't know about anyone else, but 05/2012 sure looks like a date to me.
Michael
Cool. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Klipsch RW-12d on sale for $299 at Newegg.com again today!