or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Klipsch RW-12d on sale for $299 at Newegg.com again today!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Klipsch RW-12d on sale for $299 at Newegg.com again today! - Page 10

post #271 of 2776
Bought these bad babies about a year ago and very happy with it. I even bought another one...





If any of you guys are havin a weird rattle issue on some lower frequency only, i can help you fix the problem... It;s not chuffing or port that rattles...

Very satisfied with this sub......
post #272 of 2776
The rattle comes from the PORT BAFFLE being loose.
post #273 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander1925 View Post

Bought these bad babies about a year ago and very happy with it. I even bought another one...

If any of you guys are havin a weird rattle issue on some lower frequency only, i can help you fix the problem... It;s not chuffing or port that rattles...

Very satisfied with this sub......

Tease, so what is the noise (don't have it myself...yet?) and fix?
post #274 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

The rattle comes from the PORT BAFFLE being loose.

It's the whole platic assembly where the Klipsch Logo is...

I'll take a picture of it later and will explain..The rattle only occurs on some lower frequency and not all the times.. Ill post as well on some test movies on where you can test if you have the rattle... I have two subs and only one of them has it... I replaced it with 2 other sub with same issue only to find out that its the plastic causing the issue.. Even the dealer knows about it so we decided to trouble shoot. Its better if i'll take picture of the two subs so youll know why the other one has it and the other doesnt... Will post later.. I need to cook for my wife first ha ha ha ha
post #275 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander1925 View Post

It's the whole platic assembly where the Klipsch Logo is...
I'll take a picture of it later and will explain..The rattle only occurs on some lower frequency and not all the times.. Ill post as well on some test movies on where you can test if you have the rattle... I have two subs and only one of them has it... I replaced it with 2 other sub with same issue only to find out that its the plastic causing the issue.. Even the dealer knows about it so we decided to trouble shoot. Its better if i'll take picture of the two subs so youll know why the other one has it and the other doesnt... Will post later.. I need to cook for my wife first ha ha ha ha
It is fairly common for the posts on the grill to rattle.
post #276 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

It is fairly common for the posts on the grill to rattle.

It's not the grill that rattles..
post #277 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander1925 View Post

It's the whole platic assembly where the Klipsch Logo is...
I'll take a picture of it later and will explain..The rattle only occurs on some lower frequency and not all the times.. Ill post as well on some test movies on where you can test if you have the rattle... I have two subs and only one of them has it... I replaced it with 2 other sub with same issue only to find out that its the plastic causing the issue.. Even the dealer knows about it so we decided to trouble shoot. Its better if i'll take picture of the two subs so youll know why the other one has it and the other doesnt... Will post later.. I need to cook for my wife first ha ha ha ha
Ok great, I would love to see the pictures.
post #278 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander1925 View Post

It's not the grill that rattles..
The grill does rattle, it seems like this sub just LOVES to rattle.
post #279 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

There is a tube inside that attaches to the port. Sometimes it comes loose during shipping.

How do I fix it? Or do I need to send this back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander1925 View Post

It's the whole platic assembly where the Klipsch Logo is...
I'll take a picture of it later and will explain..The rattle only occurs on some lower frequency and not all the times.. Ill post as well on some test movies on where you can test if you have the rattle... I have two subs and only one of them has it... I replaced it with 2 other sub with same issue only to find out that its the plastic causing the issue.. Even the dealer knows about it so we decided to trouble shoot. Its better if i'll take picture of the two subs so youll know why the other one has it and the other doesnt... Will post later.. I need to cook for my wife first ha ha ha ha

Ok, please do explain. I'm not sure what to do as the rattling has only gotten worse. So far my only idea has been to send it back, get another one, and sell it to someone and upgrade to a better sub lol.
post #280 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

How do I fix it? Or do I need to send this back?
Ok, please do explain. I'm not sure what to do as the rattling has only gotten worse. So far my only idea has been to send it back, get another one, and sell it to someone and upgrade to a better sub lol.

I'm just taking pictures so i can clearly show where the plastic/rattle is coming from..
post #281 of 2776


The creaking/rattle is coming from the whole plastic assembly on where the Klipsch logo is. If you remove the plastic(Please do not as the dealer and i tried to remove it and we ended up breaking the whole plastic assembly. We did this to simply find out where the rattling is coming from because out of four new Sub coming out from the box only one didnt have the issue, ill post the one who didnt have the issue because i purchase that one as well then we just remedied the other one so i can bring it home, the one we broke is a demo unit he he he...

This is the close up picture of the one without rattling issue. If you look closely there is a space in between the enclosure and the plastic. You can actually insert a credit card on to that space. The only thing that should be touching the enclosure is the sides of the plastic in which it was glued.


This is the close up picture of the one with rattling/creaking issue. As you noticed we put some paper in between the plastic assembly and enclosure because this one isnt like the other one with space. The plastic assembly of this unit is touching the enclosure, so during rumbling specially when given low frequency signal, the plastic assembly is rattling/creaking because it touches the enclosure, and it's not suppose to. My test film for this is "Bolt" scene in which bolt tries to jump on top of the helicopter chasing him or intro of "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Crank up the volume and you'll hear this rattle. Try also to push hard the plastic assembly in the Klipsch Logo area and you'll notice the rattling/creaking gone or if not push hard enough the rattling will just be lessened.


If you notice in my earlier post in which i posted my dual sub, there's a white thing on the plastic assembly on the left sub. That is actually a thick folded calling card at the middle so that the plastic assembly and the enclosure doesnt touch each other. It;s a minor design issue IMHO. A simple fix will not make me not buy this awesome sounding sub.

I hope this helps...
post #282 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander1925 View Post


The creaking/rattle is coming from the whole plastic assembly on where the Klipsch logo is. If you remove the plastic(Please do not as the dealer and i tried to remove it and we ended up breaking the whole plastic assembly. We did this to simply find out where the rattling is coming from because out of four new Sub coming out from the box only one didnt have the issue, ill post the one who didnt have the issue because i purchase that one as well then we just remedied the other one so i can bring it home, the one we broke is a demo unit he he he...
This is the close up picture of the one without rattling issue. If you look closely there is a space in between the enclosure and the plastic. You can actually insert a credit card on to that space. The only thing that should be touching the enclosure is the sides of the plastic in which it was glued.

This is the close up picture of the one with rattling/creaking issue. As you noticed we put some paper in between the plastic assembly and enclosure because this one isnt like the other one with space. The plastic assembly of this unit is touching the enclosure, so during rumbling specially when given low frequency signal, the plastic assembly is rattling/creaking because it touches the enclosure, and it's not suppose to. My test film for this is "Bolt" scene in which bolt tries to jump on top of the helicopter chasing him or intro of "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Crank up the volume and you'll hear this rattle. Try also to push hard the plastic assembly in the Klipsch Logo area and you'll notice the rattling/creaking gone or if not push hard enough the rattling will just be lessened.

If you notice in my earlier post in which i posted my dual sub, there's a white thing on the plastic assembly on the left sub. That is actually a thick folded calling card at the middle so that the plastic assembly and the enclosure doesnt touch each other. It;s a minor design issue IMHO. A simple fix will not make me not buy this awesome sounding sub.
I hope this helps...

Thanks so much! I will be in school tomorrow in 18 hours and will report my findings. I really wish they had fixed that thoguh as that is a major design flaw.

Now I have another question for you hope you can help. Your sub is standing on some blocks? Can you explain that? Mine has been moving when I crank it and I'm assuming it's vibrations moving it across the floor so I stopped that. What do I need to do to make that not happen as I assume that my sub shouldn't be walking off by itself. Thanks!

Hopefully this solves the problem though because if not I know I'm going to wanna upgrade, and I know I won't be able to live in any place where people will be happy with a sub that performs better than this. I know my neighbors in my fraternity are HATING this sub already lol.

Also, do you currently use this fix on the subs you have in your pictures?
post #283 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

Thanks so much! I will be in school tomorrow in 18 hours and will report my findings. I really wish they had fixed that thoguh as that is a major design flaw.
Now I have another question for you hope you can help. Your sub is standing on some blocks? Can you explain that? Mine has been moving when I crank it and I'm assuming it's vibrations moving it across the floor so I stopped that. What do I need to do to make that not happen as I assume that my sub shouldn't be walking off by itself. Thanks!
Hopefully this solves the problem though because if not I know I'm going to wanna upgrade, and I know I won't be able to live in any place where people will be happy with a sub that performs better than this. I know my neighbors in my fraternity are HATING this sub already lol.
Also, do you currently use this fix on the subs you have in your pictures?

The blocks that you see is a DIY Sub riser... This elliminates unwanted rattling in my room(door, windows etc etc)...I have better SQ whe i raised the sub.. You can try it as well.. Just get something to raise your sub just to test..

And yes, again like what i said.. out of 4 new sub that i tested with the dealer, only one has no issue, thats where we find out the cause(Plastic assembly doesnt touch the enclosure). If you check my picture of the setup, the sub on the left has a white thing on top of the assembly. Thats a thick folded calling card to prevent the assembly to touch the enclosure..
post #284 of 2776
Tential,

One more thing.. make sure that the whole plastic assembly is not touching the enclosure except for the sides. It's also a little difficult to put space in between. I used a knife to do that so i can put in a thick calling card in between to make that small space.. Also do it slowly, you dont want to break the plastic if you put too much force though it seems the plastic is well built when i tried it but it doesnt hurt to be careful..
post #285 of 2776
It sounds like maybe you didn't put the stick-on rubber feet on your Sub. They're on a small peel-off sheet in the package, and go into the round openings on the plastic legs. Those will keep your sub from moving around on a hard floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

...
Now I have another question for you hope you can help. Your sub is standing on some blocks? Can you explain that? Mine has been moving when I crank it and I'm assuming it's vibrations moving it across the floor so I stopped that. What do I need to do to make that not happen as I assume that my sub shouldn't be walking off by itself. Thanks!
...
post #286 of 2776
Sucks, these are still $350 at Newegg right now. I missed out on the sale in November and when I went to Newegg they were sold out, so I created a slickdeals deal alert, however it was never triggered recently because the sales didn't make the front page.

I'm really pondering what I should do. Should I go ahead and order a couple for the $350, or hold out and wait for them to go on sale again for $299? My main problem is I missed the first couple sales because I didn't realize these were being discontinued. So if I continue to wait this time when they are finally back in stock I'm worried they might sell out again and I'll miss my chance. $50 / $100 for the pair isn't a ton of money, but it's still substantial.

Since they are discontinued, at some point they will stop getting more in and once they are sold out they won't be getting any more.
post #287 of 2776
Rational people do not like throwing money away but on the other hand, ya snooze you lose. Do you have any sort of price match guarantee with your credit card company?
post #288 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddyknuckles View Post

I pulled the driver out and looked at the display from the inside. It screwed and then the screw heads are glued and the unit itself is glued around the perimeter. Not worth messing with. I guess that's how it will stay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorage View Post

I can understand not wanting to ship it back and wait for a new one, but at the very least call newegg and see if they are willing to do anything. Maybe they will offer you an open box type price and refund some of your money because you certainly have a less than perfect product. You are saving them a bunch of money by keeping it, even just the shipping costs alone for two more trips should justify some type of discount.

I spoke with NewEgg customer service and they gave me the option of a $35 credit on my card or a $50 NewEgg credit towards furture purchases. I chose the first option (net price $264) and I am satisfied. Just wanted to pass along my positive experience with NewEgg.
post #289 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander1925 View Post

Tential,
One more thing.. make sure that the whole plastic assembly is not touching the enclosure except for the sides. It's also a little difficult to put space in between. I used a knife to do that so i can put in a thick calling card in between to make that small space.. Also do it slowly, you dont want to break the plastic if you put too much force though it seems the plastic is well built when i tried it but it doesnt hurt to be careful..

Ha, well I'm a big baby when it comes to things like that. If I can't fix it easily I'll probably send it back as it's still well under warranty. I've only had the thing for a year or so. I'd just get this thing repaired and sell it if I could but I'm moving back in with my parents for a little after college and I doubt and subwoofers will get much use in their house.

Thanks so much for your help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLittleTimeZZZ View Post

It sounds like maybe you didn't put the stick-on rubber feet on your Sub. They're on a small peel-off sheet in the package, and go into the round openings on the plastic legs. Those will keep your sub from moving around on a hard floor.

Thanks, I'll take a look and see if I still have that. I can't remember if I did or not.
post #290 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

Ha, well I'm a big baby when it comes to things like that. If I can't fix it easily I'll probably send it back as it's still well under warranty. I've only had the thing for a year or so. I'd just get this thing repaired and sell it if I could but I'm moving back in with my parents for a little after college and I doubt and subwoofers will get much use in their house.
Thanks so much for your help!
Thanks, I'll take a look and see if I still have that. I can't remember if I did or not.

Let me know if you were able to apply the fix and if it worked. If not then there's something else rattling in there. So far during my test with the dealer this is the only issue that we found. We even removed the damn assembly and broke it.. Good thing its the DEMO unit we tried removing...
post #291 of 2776
I do have price match by my credit card, it has to be at least a $25 difference in price however (which this would be $50 if it went back to $299). I see Newegg also has this on their Ebay store for the same price with free shipping, might just buy it there as I get added Ebay / Pay Pal buyer protection, as well as I get $7 in Ebay bucks for each one I get. Was thinking 3 (2 for myself, one for my brother who will pay me back)
post #292 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post

I do have price match by my credit card, it has to be at least a $25 difference in price however (which this would be $50 if it went back to $299). I see Newegg also has this on their Ebay store for the same price with free shipping, might just buy it there as I get added Ebay / Pay Pal buyer protection, as well as I get $7 in Ebay bucks for each one I get. Was thinking 3 (2 for myself, one for my brother who will pay me back)

Sounds like you're covered if the price drops. Beware, Murphy's Law says; The day your coverage expires, is the day the price will drop. It's da law. Hope you get to collect.

.......biggrin.gif.....tongue.gif
post #293 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Sounds like you're covered if the price drops. Be aware, Murphy's Law says; The day your coverage expires, is the day the price will drop. It's da law. biggrin.giftongue.gif

Sounds about right! Has anyone bought from Newegg's ebay store before? Wondering if orders there show up in Newegg.com order history? I'd assume not, but curious anyway. Wondering if there's any difference buying from them on Ebay vs Newegg.com? I figured it would be the same, but I'd get the added benefit of Ebay bucks ($21 for 3 subs)
post #294 of 2776
I ended up pulling the trigger at $349.99 each, purchasing from the Newegg Ebay store with free shipping. I figured I didn't want to risk these selling out again. Lot of people have HSU and others ahead of this sub, but down the road if I ever want to sell this I figure I'll have much better luck selling a big name like Klipsch on Craigslist rather than a specialized internet sub company.

I just checked and back in 06 I bought a floor model RW-12 (not the 12d) from Ultimate Electronics as part of their going out of business sale for about $330, which I felt was a good deal for a $700 sub, even though it was a used floor model. So all in all even while this current deal is still currently $50 more then the cheapest price I've seen, it's still a solid deal on a nice piece of brand new equipment.
post #295 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post

I ended up pulling the trigger at $349.99 each, purchasing from the Newegg Ebay store with free shipping. I figured I didn't want to risk these selling out again. Lot of people have HSU and others ahead of this sub, but down the road if I ever want to sell this I figure I'll have much better luck selling a big name like Klipsch on Craigslist rather than a specialized internet sub company.
I just checked and back in 06 I bought a floor model RW-12 (not the 12d) from Ultimate Electronics as part of their going out of business sale for about $330, which I felt was a good deal for a $700 sub, even though it was a used floor model. So all in all even while this current deal is still currently $50 more then the cheapest price I've seen, it's still a solid deal on a nice piece of brand new equipment.

That's my feeling too. I have better luck selling this sub than I do an internet direct sub. Also, since the price will most likely be higher than the 300 dollars I got it at, I may be able to recoup the majority of what I purchased. If I can even sell this for 200 dollars I got my money's worth. Did you get one or two?

Just a question though to xander, do you think there is a more permanent fix than stuffing paper in there? Perhaps with some tools or something I could just fill the gap with, well I dunno "something" and fix it permanently and cosmetically? I eventually wanna remove all the grills like in your picture and have them look pretty =D. Also, what speakers are those?
post #296 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

That's my feeling too. I have better luck selling this sub than I do an internet direct sub. Also, since the price will most likely be higher than the 300 dollars I got it at, I may be able to recoup the majority of what I purchased. If I can even sell this for 200 dollars I got my money's worth. Did you get one or two?
Just a question though to xander, do you think there is a more permanent fix than stuffing paper in there? Perhaps with some tools or something I could just fill the gap with, well I dunno "something" and fix it permanently and cosmetically? I eventually wanna remove all the grills like in your picture and have them look pretty =D. Also, what speakers are those?

I ended up getting 3 of them, 2 for myself and one for my brother. I have an older RW-12 but that is in need of a new amp, which will cost about $200, so I may end up fixing that and selling it if I can get a buyer lined up before I have to buy the amp to fix it. I also have a 15" Definitive Technology PF15TL+, but it's in my living room which is rather small, so figured the RW-12D would be a better fit.

Eventually when I finish my basement I plan on running both the RW-12d's along with the rest of my Klipsch Reference series towers, center channel and surround speakers. Due to the fact the room will likely be large and open, I figured 2 would be better than 1 in terms of filling in any dead spots and having more uniform bass response. Also Klipsch Reference series speakers are pretty highly regarded and should allow you to get good money from them if you eventually want to sell used on Craigslist. Knowing these went for $700 in their heyday new, you should have little to no problem getting at least $250 if they are in good condition once all retailers are sold out and the only place you can buy them is used on Craigslist. Outside of true audiophiles, I doubt many people have heard of any of the specialized internet sub companies, and would likely confuse them with something sold out of a back of a white van.

If you are talking about the gap between the lower plastic trim piece and the front of the sub box, I've read some forums where people have used a flat screwdriver to wedge strips of black foam in that gap to fill it in. Since the speaker is black you can hardly tell it's there.
post #297 of 2776
Damn that was fast, Just got shipping confirmation already from Ebay. I only placed my order like an hour ago and it's already ready to ship out yet today.
post #298 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post

I ended up getting 3 of them, 2 for myself and one for my brother. I have an older RW-12 but that is in need of a new amp, which will cost about $200, so I may end up fixing that and selling it if I can get a buyer lined up before I have to buy the amp to fix it. I also have a 15" Definitive Technology PF15TL+, but it's in my living room which is rather small, so figured the RW-12D would be a better fit.
Eventually when I finish my basement I plan on running both the RW-12d's along with the rest of my Klipsch Reference series towers, center channel and surround speakers. Due to the fact the room will likely be large and open, I figured 2 would be better than 1 in terms of filling in any dead spots and having more uniform bass response. Also Klipsch Reference series speakers are pretty highly regarded and should allow you to get good money from them if you eventually want to sell used on Craigslist. Knowing these went for $700 in their heyday new, you should have little to no problem getting at least $250 if they are in good condition once all retailers are sold out and the only place you can buy them is used on Craigslist. Outside of true audiophiles, I doubt many people have heard of any of the specialized internet sub companies, and would likely confuse them with something sold out of a back of a white van.
If you are talking about the gap between the lower plastic trim piece and the front of the sub box, I've read some forums where people have used a flat screwdriver to wedge strips of black foam in that gap to fill it in. Since the speaker is black you can hardly tell it's there.
That's a good idea actually. What about cloth from an old shirt in the mean time? I have tons of old highlighter party shirts lying around. I'm in a fraternity so ya.... Lots of useless or destroyed clothing lol.
post #299 of 2776
I'm dropping into this thread out of nowhere, I guess, but I pulled the trigger on my second RW-12D today. I got the first at $299, but I was getting paranoid that we are getting close to the end on this deal. I just found this particular thread today. I find it interesting that the holes that were in my packaging were so similar to some of the ones discussed earlier in this thread. That makes me think that the shipping carriers might not be the culprit.

Anyway, if anyone needs any additional assurance, I am quite happy with this sub. I don't think you will find a match in a HSU until you hit the $500 mark. I did have broken grill posts, but Klipsch was kind enough to send a replacement right out. I am in a 20x20 room, with the typical room problems that come along with a perfectly square room. That is the main reason that I am buying a second. I am sure that it will even my room response a good deal. I also think that running two at a slightly lower level might increase musical performance a bit. I have always been a fan of overkill in this sense. I like to have as much overhead as possible and then run things just above idle. That being said, I haven't had any of the chuffing or other bad behavior that people have cited with this sub. For the most part, I think that other than an octave or so, I'm not going to be missing much in comparison to an ID $1k sub.

Besides, it's a hell of a lot easier to sneak two $300 purchases past the wife as compared to a single $1k purchase.
post #300 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

That's my feeling too. I have better luck selling this sub than I do an internet direct sub. Also, since the price will most likely be higher than the 300 dollars I got it at, I may be able to recoup the majority of what I purchased. If I can even sell this for 200 dollars I got my money's worth. Did you get one or two?
Just a question though to xander, do you think there is a more permanent fix than stuffing paper in there? Perhaps with some tools or something I could just fill the gap with, well I dunno "something" and fix it permanently and cosmetically? I eventually wanna remove all the grills like in your picture and have them look pretty =D. Also, what speakers are those?

Bobby2478 has a great idea regarding putting foam in there.. i havent got time to think of permanent fix, as soon as i put the paper there and issue gone i have forgotten on how to make it look better he he he.. i dont remove the cover anyway...

The speakers you are seeing are PSB Image T6 Fronts and PSB Image C5 center... i'm using PSB image B6 as surrounds though not in the picture..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Klipsch RW-12d on sale for $299 at Newegg.com again today!