or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Looking for a good 5.1 Home Theater Setup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a good 5.1 Home Theater Setup - Page 2

post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme23 View Post

banana plugs are the best and insure the best quality?

Actually, the best quality connection comes from attaching the bare wire directly to the binding post.

Banana plugs are used for convenience for those who frequently plug and unplug their speaker wires, or for cosmetic reasons.
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme23 View Post

btw were did u get the flextech sleeve cover. cant find it anywhere

Google "furryletters"


And check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1301573/have-a-look-at-these-beauties-how-to-make-your-own-high-end-cables
post #33 of 52
Thread Starter 
post #34 of 52
Thread Starter 
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme23 View Post

btw were did u get the flextech sleeve cover. cant find it anywhere

Ebay,

I recommend the 3/8". I used the 1/2", and it is as snug. FlexTech is about $10 dollars for 25 FT. I bought a different brand, which cost me $24 dollars shipped for 100FT roll, and it is the same quality as FlexTech.

This is what I got:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350675902106?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Or Flextech stuff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-BRAIDED-EXPANDABLE-SLEEVING-carbon-TECHFLEX-25ft-/360362483379?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item53e7471eb3&vxp=mtr
post #36 of 52
you are doing great. IMO skip the banana plugs as i tried to state earlier bare wire connections to binding posts are really better (less points of failure) unless you plan on making allot of moves or just want to save one bit of pain on the back of your AVR.
post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by colohtpc View Post

you are doing great. IMO skip the banana plugs as i tried to state earlier bare wire connections to binding posts are really better (less points of failure) unless you plan on making allot of moves or just want to save one bit of pain on the back of your AVR.

I think my first receiver had just cap screw terminals wink.gif I used bare wire for a long long time without bananas. I just started making a few changes here and there, had a receiver die and had to switch things around, etc so bananas made sense only then for me. But.....if you're going to go bananas ( cool.gif ) ....
post #38 of 52
I went bananas! tongue.gif
post #39 of 52
Thread Starter 
hey guys,

thanks so much for all ur help. Got things setup a cpl days and am loving it ever since. and HOLY **** the subwoofer is big. insane but it really bangs hard. speakers are awesome and love the brand. might get the same brand for my car. either ways thanks for everything. and i did go the banana plug. GLS audio tips/banana. Will take a picture once I wire everything up with the flextech.

Thanks again for all the help
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme23 View Post

hey guys,

thanks so much for all ur help. Got things setup a cpl days and am loving it ever since. and HOLY **** the subwoofer is big. insane but it really bangs hard. speakers are awesome and love the brand. might get the same brand for my car. either ways thanks for everything. and i did go the banana plug. GLS audio tips/banana. Will take a picture once I wire everything up with the flextech.

Thanks again for all the help
nice..enjoy. all of the H.T. goodness.. let's see some picts
post #41 of 52
Thread Starter 
Hey guys another question I have is that i bought 16 gauge wire sleeve's but it doesn't seem fit my 16 gauge from monoprice? Any idea what I shud do? I can't find bigger gauge sleeves

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productdetail.cfm?prodid=SP16
post #42 of 52
Thread Starter 
Sry I meant wire pants
post #43 of 52
Thread Starter 





sorry for the mess, gotta clean my room again :/ but heres some pics. love this setup, thanks again for all the advice
post #44 of 52
Thread Starter 
what do u guys think? sound is pretty amazing and lovin the bass
post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme23 View Post

Hey guys another question I have is that i bought 16 gauge wire sleeve's but it doesn't seem fit my 16 gauge from monoprice? Any idea what I shud do? I can't find bigger gauge sleeves

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productdetail.cfm?prodid=SP16

Well. According to the specs., those pants are about 7.36 mm ( 0.29" ) ID at the sheath end. Best way to make sure is to use a caliper to measure the cable with TechFlex installed and then order the closest pants you can find at Parts Express. I think 8mm still might be too small unless you want a really tight fit, so maybe the 9mm pants. Looks like they are $5.50 for 10 at Parts Express. A semi-cheap caliper will cost about $20 at Harbor Freight Tools and I used one to dial in the 0.29" SAE and switch to metric for 7.36mm. LOL

As far as those speakers. Get them up to ear level and... clean your room. tongue.gif
post #46 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

Well. According to the specs., those pants are about 7.36 mm ( 0.29" ) ID at the sheath end. Best way to make sure is to use a caliper to measure the cable with TechFlex installed and then order the closest pants you can find at Parts Express. I think 8mm still might be too small unless you want a really tight fit, so maybe the 9mm pants. Looks like they are $5.50 for 10 at Parts Express. A semi-cheap caliper will cost about $20 at Harbor Freight Tools and I used one to dial in the 0.29" SAE and switch to metric for 7.36mm. LOL

As far as those speakers. Get them up to ear level and... clean your room. tongue.gif

thanks for the help. i ended up with 11mm just to be sure. but yea i cant get them ear level cuz theres no room up there
post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme23 View Post

thanks for the help. i ended up with 11mm just to be sure. but yea i cant get them ear level cuz theres no room up there

FYI. I used their 11mm pants for 10 gauge wire wrapped in TechFlex. The fit was a little tight for 10 gauge but 12mm pants wasn't an option.
post #48 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

FYI. I used their 11mm pants for 10 gauge wire wrapped in TechFlex. The fit was a little tight for 10 gauge but 12mm pants wasn't an option.

i found 14mm as well.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=082-784
post #49 of 52
I like the KnuKonceptz speaker wire pants of the Parts Express ones. The PE speaker wire pants are too short. The KnuKonceptz you can cut them to the desire lengths.
post #50 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I like the KnuKonceptz speaker wire pants of the Parts Express ones. The PE speaker wire pants are too short. The KnuKonceptz you can cut them to the desire lengths.

yea true. but are limited in size. bought 16 gauge and they wouldnt fit my wires
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme23 View Post

yea true. but are limited in size. bought 16 gauge and they wouldnt fit my wires

I've only done 12 gauge CL2 monoprice wire, and the 12 gauge KnuKonceptz worked fine. They wouldn't go over the speaker wire sleeve, but it was find since I used shrink wrap to hold it in place.
post #52 of 52
Thread Starter 
lovin this setup. got techflex all setup. had to 3/4" route but still does look good. will post pictures later. thanks to everyone that helped out
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Looking for a good 5.1 Home Theater Setup