or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Best project set up for under $1,500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best project set up for under $1,500

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hi,

I just moved into my new condo and was thinking of setting up a PJ. The room is roughly 15'x20'. There is a large window that will be covered by thick drapes, so there will be times where there will be some ambient light. I will be using the PJ for movies and TV mostly. I do like to play video games, but I have a plasma that can become my "game tv" if necessary. Not really interested in 3D, but if it fits into my budget..... As you can see by the title, I have $1,500 to work with, this would include the PJ and the screen. I would like the screen to be roughly 100", I will have the PJ sitting on a shelf behind my couch (ceiling mounting is unfortunately out of the question). Of course, I am looking for the best picture quality for the money, if I have to cut features, like 3D or gaming, that is fine, as long as the 2D quality is nice.

So if anyone has any advice for projectors and screens I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help!
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post

Hi,
I just moved into my new condo and was thinking of setting up a PJ. The room is roughly 15'x20'. There is a large window that will be covered by thick drapes, so there will be times where there will be some ambient light. I will be using the PJ for movies and TV mostly. I do like to play video games, but I have a plasma that can become my "game tv" if necessary. Not really interested in 3D, but if it fits into my budget..... As you can see by the title, I have $1,500 to work with, this would include the PJ and the screen. I would like the screen to be roughly 100", I will have the PJ sitting on a shelf behind my couch (ceiling mounting is unfortunately out of the question). Of course, I am looking for the best picture quality for the money, if I have to cut features, like 3D or gaming, that is fine, as long as the 2D quality is nice.
So if anyone has any advice for projectors and screens I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Check out the Epson 8350. Very nice picture, bright, very good colors and excellent low lag times for gaming. I have one just for tv and gaming and I love it.
post #3 of 12
The Epson 3020 is roughly $1349 depending on where you look.
Great light output and reasonable contrast.
Not the best for gaming though with higher lag times, but does have 3D as a bonus.
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinc View Post

Check out the Epson 8350. Very nice picture, bright, very good colors and excellent low lag times for gaming. I have one just for tv and gaming and I love it.

Thanks for input! Out of curiosity, IF you play FPS like black ops, was the lag noticeable?
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

The Epson 3020 is roughly $1349 depending on where you look.
Great light output and reasonable contrast.
Not the best for gaming though with higher lag times, but does have 3D as a bonus.

Thanks for the advice! I'll have a look at this one
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post

Thanks for input! Out of curiosity, IF you play FPS like black ops, was the lag noticeable?

That's all I play is black ops 2 online, before that MW3. I own 4 projectors at the moment from JVC's to Epson's including the 3020 for 3D. The 8350 is by far the best for fast gaming. I notice no lag times even playing ground war with a full room. The 8350 is also bright and very sharp. If there is a place you can go see one I would advise it, I think you would be impressed for its price range.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinc View Post

That's all I play is black ops 2 online, before that MW3. I own 4 projectors at the moment from JVC's to Epson's including the 3020 for 3D. The 8350 is by far the best for fast gaming. I notice no lag times even playing ground war with a full room. The 8350 is also bright and very sharp. If there is a place you can go see one I would advise it, I think you would be impressed for its price range.

Thanks a lot for the advice, I, like to think at least, am fairly well versed in Plasma/LCD/LED, but projectors are a totally different ball game. I think I'll look into picking an 8350 up, thanks again!
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
I ordered the 8350. Any suggestions on good screens? Again, it would be 100" and there would be some ambient light. Thanks in advanced.
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post

I ordered the 8350. Any suggestions on good screens? Again, it would be 100" and there would be some ambient light. Thanks in advanced.

A good budget screen is the 100" Elite SableFrame CineWhite ($290).
post #10 of 12
t would be 100" and there would be some ambient light. Thanks in advanced. 101303
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

A good budget screen is the 100" Elite SableFrame CineWhite ($290).

Awesome. Thanks for the response. This fits perfectly in my budget.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinc View Post

That's all I play is black ops 2 online, before that MW3. I own 4 projectors at the moment from JVC's to Epson's including the 3020 for 3D. The 8350 is by far the best for fast gaming. I notice no lag times even playing ground war with a full room. The 8350 is also bright and very sharp. If there is a place you can go see one I would advise it, I think you would be impressed for its price range.

You mention that you have both the 8350 and the 3020. I see that you prefer the 8350 for gaming, but what about 2d viewing? Is the 8350 comperable to the 3020 for 2d viewing? Is the 8350 better for 2d viewing?

thaks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Best project set up for under $1,500