Originally Posted by rbmcgee
After 13 years with an HTPC and storage scattered across what is now 6 different computers, this thread has spurred me to create a central storage location via Flexraid. I do have a few questions though that I would like some help with.
1) Currently many of the hard drives have a folder like "Movies" on them and then a bunch of ripped movies inside. If I were to just put those drives into a pool on the new server wouldn't that cause a problem because I will lose the drive designations and therefore have multiple folders with the same name in the pool which I assume is not allowed. Works fine for separate disks but I'm assuming not so well when pooled. Advice?
2) Some of these drives have been formatted with 4k clusters and some with 64k clusters. Will this represent a problem with parity? Seems like it might. Do I need to reformat so that they all have the same size clusters and if so, what's the better size?
3) Although the "new" server has a really nice and new Rosewill Gold 650w power supply (with 8 sata connectors) the mobo only has 6 sata ports. That means I will need a couple ports on a PCI-E card. How about this cheap Rosewill RC-211 $17.99 from newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132008
4) The "new" server also does not have enough 3.5" bays (only 4) for the hard drives. I figure I could use a drive cage so that I could fit 4 more drives into 5.25 bays. How about this cheap COOLER MASTER STB-3T4-E3-GP $24.99 from newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817993002
Not only holds the drives but puts a fan on them.
Thanks for any help.
1) The duplicate folders will be combined into one AFAIK.
2) Shouldn't cause problems but don't quote me on it. Post this question on the official FlexRAID forum
to get a more competent answer.
3) That card is out of stock and doesn't have any reviews. Find one that has mostly positive reviews. I saw one around here that was pretty well received. I will try and find it for you. For future expansion though, I will recommend you just get an IBM M1015 HBA
. It has two SAS ports which can split to 8 SATA ports via a couple of these
cables. It has to be flashed
with a different firmware in IT mode before you can put it to use. It can be had for under $100 on ebay. I say invest in that to make expandability easier in the future. Get a new case too ^_^
4) That will work just fine. Here's
another option, although it's out of stock currently.
Here's another excellent thread about FlexRAID, M1015 and everything server related. There are some good resources there.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438027/planning-to-rebuild-my-20tb-whs-flexraid-server-information-requestedEdited by amarshonarbangla - 3/12/13 at 3:47pm