or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › New guy here!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New guy here! - Page 2

post #31 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguinn2005 View Post

The sub looks to be closer in my future than I originally thought ... may not wait for B-Stock but we shall see. Based on what I know about my room with the system (POS) I have now I imagine that the sub will be best served somewhere behind the listening position. Up front it just sounds muddy. Anyhow that said, I'll have a really difficult time running a coax sub cable in the same manor I did my speaker wire. Anyone used the OAW3 transmitter and receiver by Outlaw? I've seen a few reviews on it but nothing definitive. It appears better than some others out there.
Let me tell you ... it is ABSOLUTELY killing me to have my new receiver on the rack and not able to use it frown.gif I can't even hook it up to the speakers that I have right now. Ugh, oh well. Looking at Monday or Tuesday at the latest and my waiting will be over! smile.gif

FYI: The Outlaw LFM-1 Plus is on sale for $500 shipped. Dual Pluses would make for an awesome setup smile.gif
post #32 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

FYI: The Outlaw LFM-1 Plus is on sale for $500 shipped. Dual Pluses would make for an awesome setup smile.gif

Well isn't that just dandy! What kind of performance difference will I see between the LFM-1 Plus and the LFM-1 EX? I don't have room for a second sub in this house.
post #33 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguinn2005 View Post

Well isn't that just dandy! What kind of performance difference will I see between the LFM-1 Plus and the LFM-1 EX? I don't have room for a second sub in this house.

You have a good sized room that opens into another room. Unless the Plus is placed very near the listening position (you had mentioned that possibility), then better to go with the EX. It has more output.
post #34 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

You have a good sized room that opens into another room. Unless the Plus is placed very near the listening position (you had mentioned that possibility), then better to go with the EX. It has more output.

Gotcha, yeah, not too many options with placement. Near the sound stage it'll block the closet which really isn't that big of a deal but an inconvenience nonetheless. Additionally, I think my current sub (a POS sony 10") sounds muddy up front. I know its a piece of junk, put out in the open its actually punchy, now its just muddy so I have to assume that a high end sub will have the same muddy sound. I have the option of putting a EX along the outer wall all the way to the back of the room so I'm thinking that'll probably be my best option. The only downside to the back of the room is that I would have to run yet more wire (FML LOL!!) unless I found a wireless solution.

In any event, thanks for the heads up! I'll keep an eye on it.
post #35 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguinn2005 View Post

Gotcha, yeah, not too many options with placement. Near the sound stage it'll block the closet which really isn't that big of a deal but an inconvenience nonetheless. Additionally, I think my current sub (a POS sony 10") sounds muddy up front. I know its a piece of junk, put out in the open its actually punchy, now its just muddy so I have to assume that a high end sub will have the same muddy sound. I have the option of putting a EX along the outer wall all the way to the back of the room so I'm thinking that'll probably be my best option. The only downside to the back of the room is that I would have to run yet more wire (FML LOL!!) unless I found a wireless solution.
In any event, thanks for the heads up! I'll keep an eye on it.

Many of us use good subs in the front sound stage with no problem. The problem you are currently having is undoubtedly with the cheap sub.

The Plus is only 3db less in max output than the EX, and doesn't reach quite as far with low frequency extension (16hz vs 18hz). You probably would be very happy with it. It would be a dramatic improvement over the Sony.
post #36 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Many of us use good subs in the front sound stage with no problem. The problem you are currently having is undoubtedly with the cheap sub.
The Plus is only 3db less in max output than the EX, and doesn't reach quite as far with low frequency extension (16hz vs 18hz). You probably would be very happy with it. It would be a dramatic improvement over the Sony.

Well, it doesn't hurt to try and put it up front of course. I was looking at the specs and honestly, there's not much difference. At $500 shipped for the plus I'd be paying an extra $250 for 2hz with extension and 3db which honestly doesn't seem like a whole lot!
post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguinn2005 View Post

Well, it doesn't hurt to try and put it up front of course. I was looking at the specs and honestly, there's not much difference. At $500 shipped for the plus I'd be paying an extra $250 for 2hz with extension and 3db which honestly doesn't seem like a whole lot!

You are right, it's not. If you can catch a b-stock EX, then it would be worthwhile. But at the current prices, the Plus is a better deal.
post #38 of 61
Thread Starter 
Well either way I'll consider both as time goes on and we get closer to the end of the sale.

Couple questions maybe you can answer... on the plus and the EX, any idea of the feet come off so I can put small casters on it? If it goes up front I need to be able to move it. And do you have any opinion on the outlaw wireless solution? I see that it only goes down to 20hz though :-/

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
post #39 of 61
The feet are large metal spikes on my EX, and they are threaded. Not sure if I would use casters unless they lock. But if your floors are not carpet, the discs for the spikes on the EX are felt on the bottom. Not too hard to slide it out carefully across a floor a few feet if you need to. Not sure about the Plus. There's an Outlaw Owners thread on the AVS subwoofer forum. Someone there would know.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
post #40 of 61
The OAW has a reputation of working pretty well. Wireless does introduce a slight audio delay, but your AVR room correction software can typically correct for that.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
post #41 of 61
Thread Starter 
I have a carpet floor... with the sub being 80lbs I have a feeling it would be a bear to move lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
post #42 of 61
You can just put these under the sub and it will easily slide

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001W6Q4W4/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1355620337&sr=8-1&pi=SL75
post #43 of 61
Thread Starter 
That's actually a good idea. Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
post #44 of 61
Thread Starter 
Well, I believe I have decided to forego the deal on the plus and wait on a b-stock EX. Not sure I can beat the deal when one of those come around. Just have to keep a close eye on it I suppose! Any idea how often they get those in?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
post #45 of 61
Thread Starter 
I tell you what ... the bug is a hard one to beat. I'm in this constant struggle with myself to settle for the plus and risk it not being quite what I need, or waiting on a b-stock EX for the price, or just buying the EX at full value and eating the difference. Lol. Maybe they'll just run a sale after the first of the year smile.gif I can hope... right?
post #46 of 61
Thread Starter 
Well, got the speakers, set them up, ran Audyssey ... wow, that's all I can say is wow. The whole thing is just incredible. The fact that room opens up makes no difference in the quality of the sound ... well it did until I ran Audyssey, I can see where its making the corrections and its a pretty cool technology if I do say so myself. Since I just got my plasma and bluray (I was in the stone age before!) I only have one bluray, Avatar. I popped that thing in and felt completely immersed in the movie, even with a cheap sub. Come on outlaw, get some b-stock in on the EX! <-- Anyone have any advice on how to tell the landlord that you cracked his drywall with one of these? LOL!
post #47 of 61
Thread Starter 
Wish Outlaw would get some B-Stock in or publish their next promotion that hopefully includes an EX. I'm about ready to buy it at regular price! LOL
post #48 of 61
Thread Starter 
Any idea when Outlaw might put up their next promotion? I know they just finished the holiday season one.
post #49 of 61
Not sure exactly but would guess around a major holiday. Another sub option might be to just get a pair of klipsch RW12D's when newegg has them for $300 ea
post #50 of 61
Have you looked at a sub from Hsu?
http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk2.html
post #51 of 61
Thread Starter 
I'm really up for anything you guys might recommend. I have to stay away from the two sub option, at least at this house. That might be an upgrade down the road. The EX so far seems to be the best bang for the buck in an "all around" sort of way with respect to price, hz, watts, etc which is why after I was turned on to it I've been holding out for it. I keep waiting on that B-Stock. At some point one will pop up and I would imagine that it might be soon since its after the holidays.

I'll add those Klipsch RW12Ds and the HSUs to my list of prospective subs.

I'm just an impatient person... especially when i have everything else hooked up and rocking my house already! biggrin.gif (I may break down and buy it at full price, I've got the money but I'm cheap haha)
post #52 of 61
Thread Starter 
Hmmm. If I'm looking at the exact same price range HSU has this beauty right here at the same price as the EX. Specs are pretty similar, only side firing. What difference would I notice on side firing versus down firing like with the EX or the VTF-2? It'll have to sit in the corner next to the sound stage at this house.
Edited by jguinn2005 - 1/8/13 at 5:35pm
post #53 of 61
VTF2 and the LFM1+ are very close to being the same sub. The EX is closer to the VTF3, but the VTF3 is a little better.
post #54 of 61
Thread Starter 
Yeah, I was looking at the price and reading some reviews. Looks like at the same price that the VTF3 is definitely the way to go. May just have to pull the trigger on that beast. biggrin.gif:D:D They both have a 30 day money back guarantee so IF what whatever reason that I'm completely insane and don't love it .. I can return it smile.gif

As I've said before, I have a big room and I sit in the middle (not the best circumstances) so a bit more powerful sub on a corner load will probably help out in that respect. Thanks again!
post #55 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguinn2005 View Post

Yeah, I was looking at the price and reading some reviews. Looks like at the same price that the VTF3 is definitely the way to go. May just have to pull the trigger on that beast. biggrin.gif:D:D They both have a 30 day money back guarantee so IF what whatever reason that I'm completely insane and don't love it .. I can return it smile.gif
As I've said before, I have a big room and I sit in the middle (not the best circumstances) so a bit more powerful sub on a corner load will probably help out in that respect. Thanks again!

I think you are making the right choice. I have an EX.

At the same price, I would have gone (and still would) with the VTF-3 MK4. As Jay1 pointed out, it has a slight edge. But I got the EX on b-stock for considerably less.

Meanwhile, you will LOVE IT. Be sure to pick on a couple of the 4 to 5 star movies from this list to demo your new sub.
post #56 of 61
Thread Starter 
HSU VTF-3 MK4 ... the trigger has been pulled. The wait begins ...
post #57 of 61
Thread Starter 
Well, I got the HSU. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to play with it since I had to work tonight . BUT I did get to work with it a little bit and run Audyssey and play some music. WOW!!! This was definitely a GREAT choice! My only problem so far is since I have to sit in the middle of the room I am experiencing the null affect at the listening position. I have worked with it a little bit and gotten it better but it is still there. I'm going to try and get my grubby hands on a long cable so I can do the sub crawl and possibly consider moving the sub to another location, maybe near field if I can find the room.

Below I have included a crude unscaled drawing of my room. The red indicates good bass, yellow is so-so and the gray is the null. It really is interesting that the moment I sit down it pretty much vanishes. Anyone have any thoughts? I have moved the couch back a little bit and that has helped but I can't move it back much more otherwise the TV will appear to be "small". I know that the center of the room is not optimal but I'm trying to work with it. Right now I'm about 10 feet from the TV. To move the sub I have to overcome the cable obstacle but that really isn't a big issue. I'll pin a cable on the wall if I have to to get what I need.

post #58 of 61
Yeah, that is always a tricky situation, and why dual subs are so highly recommended. I would try the corner to the left of your tv, and if that isnt ideal, inching it forward along that wall. Behind the couch might be your best option though... Definitely try the corner first.
post #59 of 61
Thread Starter 
The other corner is the entrance to the bathroom. Personally, I don't mind climbing over the sub just to have great sound, the wife? Not so much mad.gif I'm thinking that the sub will ultimately end up on the wall right behind the end table. But for now, I'm gonna try and tweak the position where its at as much as I can and move the couch a little more. Can't hurt, and I don't have a cable long enough at the moment to put it behind the couch ... I've pretty much thrown out the wireless option.
post #60 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguinn2005 View Post

I'm thinking that the sub will ultimately end up on the wall right behind the end table.

That could definitely help, or even behind the couch as Jay suggested.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › New guy here!