Originally Posted by dst
Looking to purchase a holiday gift for someone that has 2 TB of movies stored on an external USB drive, but currently no way to play them to a TV. The keys are being able to directly attach the USB drive, having a good UI/remote, and high quality playback. Popcorn Hour or Dune would be ideal, but probably overkill for the gift. I think there may be some reasonable options under $100 (e.g., WD TV Live, Micca, etc.), but potentially willing to go up to $200 if there is a major bump in functionality or ease of use. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
My choices would be at $100 would be depending on the type of files (you didn't mention on that 2tb drive)
Here is a pretty good reference of all media players on the market - past - present - http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php
1. WD TV LIVE latest generation
2. Boxee Box if you can find it cheap - might be $150 or (used)
3. Dune HD TV series
4. Netgear NeoTV 550 if you can find it...
$200 or above....
1. Dune Smart series - plays anything
2. Mede8er MD1000X3D - has a few issues but a better gui interface then dune, plays 3d allegedly..
3. New Dune Premium series - not yet release yet...