or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › HTPC keeps restarting itself
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HTPC keeps restarting itself

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I just built an AM3 x4 965 based HTPC for a friend and it keeps restarting on itself. No overclocking and the RAM, the SSD, and the power supply have all been tested on a different machine for 3+ weeks with no issues.

This is what I get:




And then this message pops up after the computer restarts itself several times:


post #2 of 20
Try a different set of RAM.
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dksc318 View Post

Try a different set of RAM.

That's what I was thinking...weird thing is, this RAM works perfectly in a different computer.
post #4 of 20
Today's RAM is synchronous, meaning the signals are operating to a clock signal. But nothing in the world can work all exactly at the same time. So while MB A may have a longer delay on line X but MB B may have a longer delay on line Y. Then this set of RAM may met its worst case in that MB. And it seems in your case it works mostly, then it is just a minor incompatibility.

Today's RAM is very cheap, about $1/chip. Manufacturers cannot afford to test them extensively like in yesteryears. This set of RAM may have some weakness too.
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dksc318 View Post

Today's RAM is synchronous, meaning the signals are operating to a clock signal. But nothing in the world can work all exactly at the same time. So while MB A may have a longer delay on line X but MB B may have a longer delay on line Y. Then this set of RAM may met its worst case in that MB. And it seems in your case it works mostly, then it is just a minor incompatibility.
Today's RAM is very cheap, about $1/chip. Manufacturers cannot afford to test them extensively like in yesteryears. This set of RAM may have some weakness too.

Great info man. I got spare sticks, I'll try that ASAP.
post #6 of 20
I've been in Victoria a few times, great place. Greatest was seeing Orcas on a fishing trip.
post #7 of 20
Make sure the mobo has the lastest BIOS and that 965 is supported fully - AM3(+).
post #8 of 20
Memtest if you suspect the memory
http://www.memtest.org/

If the Power service is the one consistently failing, check if your if BIOS has ACPI settings that need to be tweaked.

Windows should also have the latest driver and inf files for the CPU, get those from AMD.
post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dksc318 View Post

I've been in Victoria a few times, great place. Greatest was seeing Orcas on a fishing trip.

Yeah, its pretty dynamite. Lived here my whole life. Had the puppy at the beach today and a few seals swam right by us!
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thanks Tiddle and Tong. I'll check that if these sticks dont work out.
post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
The motherboard is an Asus M5A78L-M LX. It doesn't list the x4 965 on its support list. Seems to only have 95W processors on there. Could that cause the problem?
post #12 of 20
Is the 4/8 pin 12V connector plugged in? What is the PSU model?
post #13 of 20
If it's hooked to a UPS, try another UPS or just a surge protector.
post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
Nope, tried both UPS, power bar, and directly to the wall. Same results.

Yes, the northbridge is plugged in. This PS was used in a gaming machine with X-fire 7970's for about 3 months.
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

The motherboard is an Asus M5A78L-M LX. It doesn't list the x4 965 on its support list. Seems to only have 95W processors on there. Could that cause the problem?

Bullseye. That CPU is not supported. Its 125w.
post #16 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

Bullseye. That CPU is not supported. Its 125w.

I would think that it wouldn't fire up at all though. Is that a normal error to have for an unsupported CPU?
post #17 of 20
The CPU runs the memory controller in the northbridge so its feasible that you'd see memory errors. Same with the power errors. More info:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1085572/safe-to-run-125w-cpu-on-95w-board
post #18 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

The CPU runs the memory controller in the northbridge so its feasible that you'd see memory errors. Same with the power errors. More info:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1085572/safe-to-run-125w-cpu-on-95w-board

Nice! Thanks for the info man! I have an x3 455 I can test on the board, and I also have a new board coming. Thanks man.
post #19 of 20
Swap out a 95w or 45w CPU and see if it works. If it does, you know that's the problem. If you want a cheap AMD CPU, I'd recommend the Athlon x2 260.
post #20 of 20
I'm interested to see how this turns out but I wanted to +1 the RAM concerns. I had a pair of sticks (and not cheap stuff either) that caused me no end of trouble. It would run on memtest for days but then I got random BSODs. I don't know why I hung onto them as they caused a couple computers random fits but finally found a mobo they have been happy on for almost two years. Hardware conflicts can drive you nuts and RAM I think is the worst offender. Give that a try, might be a cheap fix given RAM prices these days.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › HTPC keeps restarting itself