or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Subwoofer Ownership – Your Path to Satisfaction
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Subwoofer Ownership – Your Path to Satisfaction - Page 3

post #61 of 663
Ok here goes my journey. For the most part in this order, I think I've got most of them??

Polk PS10
Polk PSW505
SVS PB1-isd
SVS PB12 Ultra
Epik Sentinel
MFW15 (at one point I had 6 of these guys, or was it 7??)
Epik Empire
SVS PB13 Ultra
Epik Phoenix
Epik Conquest (2x)
Quad DIY LMS 5400's


If there's one thing I've learned is that its not too cheap out on your bass system. Go with the best and most baddest system you can afford, in the long run it ends up being cheaper. Plus your back will thank you for it! wink.gif
post #62 of 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

Ok here goes my journey. For the most part in this order, I think I've got most of them??

Polk PS10
Polk PSW505
SVS PB1-isd
SVS PB12 Ultra
Epik Sentinel
MFW15 (at one point I had 6 of these guys, or was it 7??)
Epik Empire
SVS PB13 Ultra
Epik Phoenix
Epik Conquest (2x)
Quad DIY LMS 5400's


If there's one thing I've learned is that its not too cheap out on your bass system. Go with the best and most baddest system you can afford, in the long run it ends up being cheaper. Plus your back will thank you for it! wink.gif

E - How did you like the Conquest compared to the LMS quad pack? I imagine the Conquests were monsters around port tune, >20hz at least.
post #63 of 663
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

My journey has been pretty simple and short.

15" powered Paradigm sub
2 JTR Captivators-passive
2 CHT SS-18.2

Soon to add 4 more CHT SS-18.1 subs.

Am I counting that right? Are you soon to be in the Octo Club my friend?

Guess Rilla jaded you...lol
post #64 of 663
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

E - How did you like the Conquest compared to the LMS quad pack? I imagine the Conquests were monsters around port tune, >20hz at least.

I remember the answer to this one!

The Conquest were on the top of my list before going with my LMS-U's...
post #65 of 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

E - How did you like the Conquest compared to the LMS quad pack? I imagine the Conquests were monsters around port tune, >20hz at least.

To the quads?? HA! Not even close in any aspect my friend. Now a 2 vs 2 comparison would be close, especially around port tune. Obviously below tune there was no contest. Also there was a noticeable difference in SQ, the LMS is just much more articulate and precise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

I remember the answer to this one!

The Conquest were on the top of my list before going with my LMS-U's...
Same here boss, thats why I sold mine.
post #66 of 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

To the quads?? HA! Not even close in any aspect my friend. Now a 2 vs 2 comparison would be close, especially around port tune. Obviously below tune there was no contest. Also there was a noticeable difference in SQ, the LMS is just much more articulate and precise.
Same here boss, thats why I sold mine.

Ah, interesting! I've never heard the conquest but on paper it seems similar to a JTR Cap1000 which would have some really serious output around port tune . Without those awesome data-bass measurements, we're all just guessing though! Just curious, that's all. smile.gif
post #67 of 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Am I counting that right? Are you soon to be in the Octo Club my friend?

Guess Rilla jaded you...lol

Is there any other way?? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #68 of 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Ah, interesting! I've never heard the conquest but on paper it seems similar to a JTR Cap1000 which would have some really serious output around port tune . Without those awesome data-bass measurements, we're all just guessing though! Just curious, that's all. smile.gif
Dont get me wrong, the Conquest was a very nice sub. But for me personally, the difference in extension and SQ were the biggest reasons for making the switch. smile.gif
post #69 of 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Am I counting that right? Are you soon to be in the Octo Club my friend?

Guess Rilla jaded you...lol

Yep, going to 8 18" drivers. The 2 CHT 18.2's are great but I still want more. I blame all this on Andrew, and this site. If I never heard his setup I would still be content with my 2 Caps. Now I'm searching for another Crest CC 4000 amp, 4 CHT 18.1's and possibly a different pre/pro so I can adjust the audio on the fly.

I'm trying my hardest to be patient and wait till my Caps sell before I buy anymore stuff but it's getting harder and harder to resist the temptation to buy now!
post #70 of 663
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

Yep, going to 8 18" drivers. The 2 CHT 18.2's are great but I still want more. I blame all this on Andrew, and this site. If I never heard his setup I would still be content with my 2 Caps. Now I'm searching for another Crest CC 4000 amp, 4 CHT 18.1's and possibly a different pre/pro so I can adjust the audio on the fly.

I'm trying my hardest to be patient and wait till my Caps sell before I buy anymore stuff but it's getting harder and harder to resist the temptation to buy now!

Meh, they will sell eventually...

Go ahead and scoop those up...lol

So, if you count the LMS-U's I haven't sold yet, I have 24 subs in my house at this very moment... Only in use though.... I need to jump on my build already. Maybe next weekend...

biggrin.gif

I think Rilla maybe close to that as well with the subs he has in almost every room of his house...lol
post #71 of 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Meh, they will sell eventually...

Go ahead and scoop those up...lol

So, if you count the LMS-U's I haven't sold yet, I have 24 subs in my house at this very moment... Only in use though.... I need to jump on my build already. Maybe next weekend...

biggrin.gif

I think Rilla maybe close to that as well with the subs he has in almost every room of his house...lol

I hear you but between amp, some wire and the 4 subs I'm looking at about $2600. Just spent $2200 on subs not even 2 weeks ago! Thing is I'm going to buy them anyway so why not now right? I'm sure within 2 weeks I will have everything ordered. Then I've got to figure out what wires to run where and that should be about it.
post #72 of 663
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

I hear you but between amp, some wire and the 4 subs I'm looking at about $2600. Just spent $2200 on subs not even 2 weeks ago! Thing is I'm going to buy them anyway so why not now right? I'm sure within 2 weeks I will have everything ordered. Then I've got to figure out what wires to run where and that should be about it.

Haha, yeah...Why not...

That's the $5,000 question most of bass junkies seem to encounter at some point. There are those who let logic prevail (4 is more than enough) then there are people like us (I hope 8 is going to be enough)...

You are at that fork in the road man... I invite you to take the path of ridiculousness...
post #73 of 663
Timeline
1996 - Altec Lansing 2.1 System from Gateway Computers
2003 - Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 System
2004 - Hsu Research VTF 2 Mk I
2007 - Hsu Research VTF 2 MK III, MBM-12, Dual Buttkickers
2008 - av123 MFW-15, Dual Buttkickers
2008 - dual av123 MFW-15, Dual Buttkickers
2008 - av123 X-Sub (Office System)
2009 - Hsu Research VTF-1, Mk I (Office System)
2010 - MFW-15 Turbo (Acoustic Elegance 15" driver with Dayton amp)
2011 - Dual MFW-15 Turbos
2012 - DIY Ported sub with MFW-15 cabinet, Dayton 15" Reference HO driver, Dayton SA1000 amp (made for a friend)
2012 - DIY Dual sealed subs (dual opposed 15" drivers)
2012 - DIY Dual opposed sub with Eminence LAB 12 drivers (Office system)
2012 - DIY Infinite Baffle system with 8 Acoustic Elegance IB15 drivers and GR-Research LS-6 mains with extension to 20 Hz

EQ
2007 - Behringer DCX2496
2010 - JRiver Media Center's Parametric EQ
2012 - JRiver Media Center's convolution engine with Audiolense filters
(I've also owned a miniDSP)

About My Journey
I had never heard a real subwoofer before purchasing my first Hsu sub in 2004 directly from Hsu Research. With its huge 10" driver and gigantic cabinet, I was either envied or ridiculed by friends and family. I used it for almost four years and sold it to a coworker for more than I paid. He is still using it. I then found out how much improvement could be had and upgraded in 2007 and again in 2008. I used my dual MFW-15's for two years before starting to upgrade them with driver/amp upgrades. I could have been content with the dual MFW-15 Turbos in my room, but realized I could have an infinite baffle system. I sold the Turbos (they are now in the third owners home) and used some DIY dual opposed sealed subs until I had the IB system built. I finished the IB system in the summer of 2012 and then build out a pair of GR-Research LS-6 speakers in the fall. Its sort of funny, but my mains have better quality bass than any of the previous subwoofers. Last year I heard 21 different subwoofer systems including subs from Rythmik, CHT, Hsu Research, JTR Speakers, Seaton Sound, Epik, BIC, Klipsch, and DIY. My IB system is my favorite I've heard so far.
Edited by desertdome - 10/4/13 at 11:11am
post #74 of 663
^^^ How in the world did you remember the timeline with that exactness? I can't remember what I had for lunch. biggrin.gif
post #75 of 663
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

2012 - DIY Infinite Baffle system with 8 Acoustic Elegance IB15 drivers.
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

2012 - JRiver Media Center's convolution engine with Audiolense filters.
I've never heard of this EQ. I'm going to have to look into it. I'm assuming you obviously like it over the MiniDSP, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

My IB system is my favorite I've heard so far.
One day... I will find someone with an IB system to demo...
Mark my words...one day...
post #76 of 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

^^^ How in the world did you remember the timeline with that exactness? I can't remember what I had for lunch. biggrin.gif
I know I bought the Altec Lansing 2.1 system in 1996 becasue I purchased it just before moving to California. I lived in apartments for the next 7 years and kept them the whole time. I have all my e-mail going back to 2003. I looked up all the shipping notices for the rest. My oldest e-mail just happens to be the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 system purchased directly from Klipsch on 12/10/2003 for $129.99. biggrin.gif

I had an acquaintance that was a professional musician and I had him over after setting up the Klipsch 4.1 system so he could hear how great it was. redface.gif I still feel embarrassed every time I think of it. He probably thought I was a total idiot.
post #77 of 663
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

I know I bought the Altec Lansing 2.1 system in 1996 becasue I purchased it just before moving to California. I lived in apartments for the next 7 years and kept them the whole time. I have all my e-mail going back to 2003. I looked up all the shipping notices for the rest. My oldest e-mail just happens to be the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 system purchased directly from Klipsch on 12/10/2003 for $129.99. biggrin.gif

I had an acquaintance that was a professional musician and I had him over after setting up the Klipsch 4.1 system so he could hear how great it was. redface.gif I still feel embarrassed every time I think of it. He probably thought I was a total idiot.

We've all done it and we will continue to see others do it on a frequent basis...haha
post #78 of 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

We've all done it and we will continue to see others do it on a frequent basis...haha
I was at the gym last night and this dude starts talking about how AWESOME his new soundbar was. This guy was completely jazzed about it so I just went with it. lol
post #79 of 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

I was at the gym last night and this dude starts talking about how AWESOME his new soundbar was. This guy was completely jazzed about it so I just went with it. lol

LOL tongue.gif

That had to be tough.

"Yeah, those sound bars sure put out some crazy bass. Was it difficult to hook up?" tongue.gif

Cool that you went with it. No need to fuss with his Jones.
post #80 of 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

LOL tongue.gif

That had to be tough.

"Yeah, those sound bars sure put out some crazy bass. Was it difficult to hook up?" tongue.gif

Cool that you went with it. No need to fuss with his Jones.
No, besides the guy was REALLY happy about it. No sense in bursting his bubbles, plus im sure it sounded better than his tv speakers! biggrin.gif
post #81 of 663
That is why I started this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451767/has-anyone-actually-experienced-the-holy-grail-of-sound

It is amazing how each person has his or her own little world of what is the "Grail" of sound. I sometimes wonder myself about what experiences the guy with a really cool soundbar could have had that leads him to those wonderful feelings. Glad to hear you did not burst his bubble- It will burst on its own one day!


Keep cranking,

Robert
post #82 of 663
Today's path to satisfaction consists of replacing old drivers/radiators, giving them time to break-in, dialing them in and then pulling out REW measuring gear to see what's what with what. smile.gif
post #83 of 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcharles View Post

Glad to hear you did not burst his bubble- It will burst on its own one day!
No doubt.

Besides, we all gotta start somewhere right?? Who knows, maybe in a few years this guy will have a full on McIntosh/Wilson setup! biggrin.gif
post #84 of 663
No I think his next step up. Will b. BOSE biggrin.gif
post #85 of 663
I have two colleagues who have asked me about speakers 'n stuff. I told them: "Get a good receiver, good speakers and a sub." And they responded, "Yeah, but it's just for the family room TV, and the wife doesn't want big speakers and I can't play it loud... "

And then they went out and bought soundbars w/ subs, and they told me that they bought soundbars w/ subs, and they said to me, "Y'know, it doesn't have great sound, but it's really alright because the wife doesn't want big speakers and I can't play it loud anyway..."

And I just smile and nod. smile.gif

I mean, really, whaddaya gonna do?! confused.gifwink.gif
post #86 of 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

I have two colleagues who have asked me about speakers 'n stuff. I told them: "Get a good receiver, good speakers and a sub." And they responded, "Yeah, but it's just for the family room TV, and the wife doesn't want big speakers and I can't play it loud... "

And then they went out and bought soundbars w/ subs, and they told me that they bought soundbars w/ subs, and they said to me, "Y'know, it doesn't have great sound, but it's really alright because the wife doesn't want big speakers and I can't play it loud anyway..."

And I just smile and nod. smile.gif

I mean, really, whaddaya gonna do?! confused.gifwink.gif


I just would have a serious issue with someone telling me or even having an issue with me buying or placing nice equipment in my own home. I never can quite understand how this seems to be an issue at all. I guess I am a lucky dude! Oh yeh, when I hear something like that, I want to build something else just because!!

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #87 of 663
Quote:
I just would have a serious issue with someone telling me or even having an issue with me buying or placing nice equipment in my own home. I never can quite understand how this seems to be an issue at all.
I really do get the whole "having peace in the household" thing, and I don't think it's unfair (unless the spouse says no to any HT, anywhere, ever wink.gif ). What I find funny is these guys - good colleagues, we get along well - asking me for advice when they know they can't actually use it. smile.gif
post #88 of 663
You guys are hard core. After the amazing lists of subwoofers here my short list does not look like much of a journey. smile.gif

But here goes -
2009 - Athena 12" ($225)
2010 - MFW-15($550) + Athena 12"
2011 to present - IB 4x Fi 18" ($1350) + Athena 12"

In 2009 I finished my inexpensive, 2700^3, DIY, theater room, re-purposed the family room, wife/compromise speakers, to complete the room affordably. Funny thing is my tinny Athena speakers and 12" sub sounded pretty good in a sealed and treated room. Guests were "blown away" by the incredible sound. tongue.gif

But, after a while, I could finally start to tell maybe I was missing out on something and added the, at the time, hot AV123 MFW15 sub. This in addition to my 12" was a definite upgrade.

Again, after a while, the movie scenes where the poor MFW would bottom hard kept mounting, and I knew I had to do something. Initially, I looked to add another MFW but the company was starting to get flaky and I slowly started to find the DIY community.

After much researchThe IB setup matched my woodwork and finishing skills. biggrin.gif The price matched my innate cheapness and the stealth look was a major win for the wife. First time I fired them up the clarity and tone was just so amazing! Haven't looked back for subs since. biggrin.gif

I did change my LCR to 4pi's (15" woofer, horn based speakers) but nothing beats the IB for impact in the room.
post #89 of 663
Nice and short list.

Klipsch KSW12
SVS PB10 ISD
Seaton Submersive HP
Seaton Submersive F2

When I was researching an upgrade to the SVS, I started with a much lower budget than the Seaton. After a lot of research, I started looking into duals. But, the more I thought about it, the more I realized if I didn't go right to the top tier, I would probably just be upgrading again in a couple years. Gonig with the Seaton, I wouldn't have to worry about selling anything to upgrade, I could just add another. In the long run, going with the Seaton probably saved me money and time. At least that's what I keep telling myself. biggrin.gif

-Mike
post #90 of 663
Okay, update. I now have dual Elemental Designs a2-300's. Buying an eD a3-300, then adding two more eD a3-300's as I can find them.
Edited by blake18 - 1/4/14 at 1:06pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Subwoofer Ownership – Your Path to Satisfaction