or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Killer DIY Sub build needed!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Killer DIY Sub build needed!! - Page 3

post #61 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

To be honest, I am a real newb to the more complex part of the diy stuff. I have built enclosures, set up systems, etc. but the level of complexity that a really good, well setup system is still a bit beyond me at this point. I read that the DCX with rew was extremely easy to use. Someone may enlighten to the minidsp and I could go with that, but at this point, that is what I based my decision on.
Hahahahaha..I know, I just get waaaaaayyy over anxious. I am just psyched to get going on it all.

REW is way more complicated to set-up than the plug-n-play Omnimic and from what I understand, the DCX is no where near as user friendly as miniDSP. Based on everything I hear from forum users, I think you would be more satisfied miniDSP w/omnimic combo.

Not sure how many different placement options you are looking at with all of your subs, but if you wanted to go a bit over kill, the 10 x 10 HD would give you room to grow/expand and look super cool mounted in your rack!
post #62 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

REW is way more complicated to set-up than the plug-n-play Omnimic and from what I understand, the DCX is no where near as user friendly as miniDSP. Based on everything I hear from forum users, I think you would be more satisfied miniDSP w/omnimic combo.
Not sure how many different placement options you are looking at with all of your subs, but if you wanted to go a bit over kill, the 10 x 10 HD would give you room to grow/expand and look super cool mounted in your rack!

Thanks popalock! That is why I love this place...I would have bought the dcx if you and Brian hadn't said anything, and probably would have gotten frustrated setting it up. The family room setup that I am building to use while I get it together and finish the theater doesn't leave a lot of options. The two front corners are basically it, so in there, the simplest of options should suffice. The dedicated room willl have the option of all kinds of crazy placement for subs, so that might pay off in there.
post #63 of 141
I tried REW with a Behringer microphone and found it difficult to use and my soundcard's mic input was very noisy. I now use Omnimic with my miniDSPs and it is extremely easy to use.
post #64 of 141
Another cool feature about the miniDSP is the Auto-EQ functionality it brings to the table. I personally had a failed attempted at getting REW up and running (freaking external sound cards, phantom power, blah blah blah...), but when I get my balanced miniDSP, I'll give it another go. I believe the omnimic measurements can be imported into REW as well? (<---Can someone confirm)
post #65 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Thanks popalock! That is why I love this place...I would have bought the dcx if you and Brian hadn't said anything, and probably would have gotten frustrated setting it up. The family room setup that I am building to use while I get it together and finish the theater doesn't leave a lot of options. The two front corners are basically it, so in there, the simplest of options should suffice. The dedicated room willl have the option of all kinds of crazy placement for subs, so that might pay off in there.

+1 another miniDSP user here. Very easy to use and setup. If you want to be super slick, you could buy the balanced minidsp in kit form and buy your own enclosure to match the rest of your gear. You can even buy blank enclosures that have rack mounting hardware. I'm going to install mine in a custom enclosure at some point.
post #66 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Another cool feature about the miniDSP is the Auto-EQ functionality it brings to the table. I personally had a failed attempted at getting REW up and running (freaking external sound cards, phantom power, blah blah blah...), but when I get my balanced miniDSP, I'll give it another go. I believe the omnimic measurements can be imported into REW as well? (<---Can someone confirm)

Personally I haven't been able to get decent results with the "autoeq" function in REW. Perhaps I was jacking something up (likely), but manual EQ is so fast anyway I'd rather just go that route. Usually only need 3-4 filters and you're good to go.

I'm not sure about importing Omnimic measurements into REW, but I do know you can save your curve to a file - let me check on that.

Edit - It looks like the latest version of Omnimic can export directly to minidsp, woot!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1293353/dayton-omnimic-precision-measurement-system/1680#post_22201407
Edited by Gorilla83 - 12/14/12 at 5:11am
post #67 of 141
Thread Starter 
Great info everyone, thanks for posting! I will be doing some reading as I have time today to familiarize myself with the functions. As I said, I am 100% green to these tools. Just set up Audessey on my receivers before and let er' rip.
post #68 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Great info everyone, thanks for posting! I will be doing some reading as I have time today to familiarize myself with the functions. As I said, I am 100% green to these tools. Just set up Audessey on my receivers before and let er' rip.

I'm not sure if you've seen this post, but it contains links to everything you need to read - information on REW, omnimic, measurements, EQ, box modeling, etc.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1443078/new-to-diy-faqs-in-here
post #69 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

I'm not sure if you've seen this post, but it contains links to everything you need to read - information on REW, omnimic, measurements, EQ, box modeling, etc.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1443078/new-to-diy-faqs-in-here

You da man!
post #70 of 141
Thread Starter 
Looks like you have to just order the mini from the site?? The 2x4 balanced seems to be all I would need for my sub setup from what I am reading correct?? I am also trying to understand what plug in I need, but having a hard time figuring this out on their website...I am thinking, based on reading, that if I get the 4 way I will be ok, even if I upgrade to more later. Again, this is for the family room subs and there will only ever be 2 locations. I am assuming that I need more for the theater with up to four sub locations.confused.gif
Edited by ChopShop1 - 12/14/12 at 9:12am
post #71 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Looks like you have to just order the mini from the site?? The 2x4 balanced seems to be all I would need for my sub setup from what I am reading correct?? I am also trying to understand what plug in I need, but having a hard time figuring this out on their website...I am thinking, based on reading, that if I get the 4 way I will be ok, even if I upgrade to more later. Again, this is for the family room subs and there will only ever be 2 locations. I am assuming that I need more for the theater with up to four sub locations.confused.gif

The 2x4 balanced is all you need for either room. Applying eq to more than two sub channels can be very challenging. I've had the best results so far applying global eq settings to all subs.

And yes, order direct from them. You will want the 2x4 advanced plug in. You will need to make your own cables to work with their Phoenix connectors. Just order a few Xlr and rca cables and you can chop the ends off and wire them in.
post #72 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

The 2x4 balanced is all you need for either room. Applying eq to more than two sub channels can be very challenging. I've had the best results so far applying global eq settings to all subs.
And yes, order direct from them. You will want the 2x4 advanced plug in. You will need to make your own cables to work with their Phoenix connectors. Just order a few Xlr and rca cables and you can chop the ends off and wire them in.

Awesome, thanks Rilla...I appreciate all the insight and help you have been. Thanks for posting the cut sheet on the of the DO enclosures, it was a huge help! I am actually going to try to get them cut today and maybe assembled if I have the time. If not today, tomorrow. I am also making two single sealed enclosures based on Ricci's models to see how they perform in the family room too.

We've got woofers!!!
woofers.jpg 232k .jpg file woofrs.jpg 241k .jpg file
post #73 of 141
post #74 of 141
Thread Starter 
Well, I have lots of the cutting done. Have all the cuts for two single sealed cabs...each a 21" cube with double baffle and bracing. I also got the cutting all done for one of the newly dubbed "Silverback" dual opposed cabs. Still have to cut for three more of them, but want to get the singles finished first, as I can used them in the family well before the theater will be ready. Pics to follow
post #75 of 141
post #76 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

found another useful cable to connect a balanced minidsp
http://store.acradiosupplyinc.com/atlassoundAS2RCA-3M-PHX.aspx?gclid=CL2m7dPfn7QCFaGPPAodaSIA5w

Thanks for the links!

Have you decided 100% that you are building with the SI drivers now?
post #77 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Thanks for the links!
Have you decided 100% that you are building with the SI drivers now?

Yes. they will match up to my amps better. hopefully wont have issues getting them. ive seen some much longer than anticipated waiting on pre order deals before. one of them very recently.........
post #78 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Yes. they will match up to my amps better. hopefully wont have issues getting them. ive seen some much longer than anticipated waiting on pre order deals before. one of them very recently.........

They sound like they should be able to stick to the antisipated date. Can't wait to watch your build come together and see how those perform.

I'm getting a little nervouse myself...my last order of Daytons had a backorder not attached and didn't say anything except that they could arrive in separate shipments. Hopefully they get here soon. I am ordering another CV5k and and EP4000 today, hopefully they come quick too.
Edited by ChopShop1 - 12/16/12 at 2:22pm
post #79 of 141
I wouldn't worry. PE is great.

Why are you using the ep4k for? The two singles?
post #80 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

I wouldn't worry. PE is great.
Why are you using the ep4k for? The two singles?

Yes sir. A little less power, but the price is right! The family room should be fine with the two singles and a true 900w or so going to each. The cost of a pair of singles and the ep, with material included is just about $800:)
Gotta wait on the minidsps now and get some cables this week. All in all, I should be able to run the two singles before Christmas. The minis won't be here yet, but I can let xt32 do its thing in the meantime, just to check em out. I have never had subs of this caliber in the house, so I'm sure I will be impressed right from the start.
post #81 of 141
Thread Starter 
Stacks O' wood....two singles adn one DO all cut and ready for assembly. Just want to try to locate a jasper jig locally today. I went out to help the wife with Christmas shopping yesterday and escaped to every store I could think of and nobody has them locally. Have one more to try today. If they don't have it, these will most likely have the circle cuts made with the jig-saw. I am going to shoot for having the singles done for the Holidsay to test out, but so much going on this week, not sure how it will work out.

cuts 1.jpg 236k .jpg file
cuts 2.jpg 182k .jpg file
post #82 of 141
Thread Starter 
The CV5000 showed up last night....holy cow this thing is a beast!!!! Now I just have to find some time to finish the enclsoures. I haven't even started putting them together yet, but hopefully by the time the weekend is out I will have it done. I have a few hours free Saturday and all day Sunday, so I should be able to get hem finished. It will be interesting to test a DO box vs a single too.

cv5000.jpg 364k .jpg file
post #83 of 141
ChopShop,

Things look to be coming along nicely! You have the fever. smile.gif

I recommend inserting the pics into your posts as such:



We are a bunch of lazy bastards that want to be spoon fed as much audio porn as possible without having to click any silly buttons. biggrin.gif
post #84 of 141
Thread Starter 
Thanks Aaron. I certainly did catch the fever! I would love to post the pics that way, but am embarrased to say that I don't know how. I simple attach them from my v drive and that is how they come up. What would I do to post them the way you did??
post #85 of 141
Simply click the 'Image' icon in the Reply Editor--->click the 'Browse' button by 'Upload Files'--->select the picture you are trying to upload--->select the pic size (go big or go home!)--->BAM!
post #86 of 141
Thread Starter 
Let m try this out.....



Woohoo, I'm a genius!!!!

Hahaha..Thanks Aaron!
post #87 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Hahaha..Thanks Aaron!

You bet -- much easier to follow along with cool projects like this when they magically appear infront of your face. smile.gif
post #88 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post

You bet -- much easier to follow along with cool projects like this when they magically appear infront of your face. smile.gif

Pictures...Yay!

post #89 of 141
hey, can we get a shot of the layers in that ply please?
post #90 of 141
Thread Starter 
Of course...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Killer DIY Sub build needed!!