or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oblivion

post #1 of 539
Thread Starter 
Oblivion (2013) Tom Cruise - Morgan Freeman.

Looks promising.



post #2 of 539
Very promising indeed! cool.gif I like Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, I like science-fiction, and of course there's Olga, reinforcing the must-see status. tongue.gif ...Seriously though, it does look very good!! I thought Kosinski did a great job with Tron Legacy (which was his first film iirc) so I'm sure looking forward to it.
post #3 of 539
Looks quite good, would like to see this.
post #4 of 539
I triple heart Sci-Fi + post apocalyptic movies, love them. It's interesting to see that dog and Cruise almost like they're drawing from I am Legend. Looking forward to this one and that other big one with Matt Damon Elysium which btw "was" scheduled to release in Apr but now push back to sept which probably has something to do with not wanting to clash with this one. Then there's another big one from Spielberg's Robopocalypse which I'm glad he's back to his old self and done with these sappy snoozer's like War horse and Lincoln.
post #5 of 539
Although doesn't appear to be anything original, I'll be watching anyway.

Gotta wonder if the trailer gave a little too much away....
post #6 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

I triple heart Sci-Fi + post apocalyptic movies, love them. It's interesting to see that dog and Cruise almost like they're drawing from I am Legend. Looking forward to this one and that other big one with Matt Damon Elysium which btw "was" scheduled to release in Apr but now push back to sept which probably has something to do with not wanting to clash with this one. Then there's another big one from Spielberg's Robopocalypse which I'm glad he's back to his old self and done with these sappy snoozer's like War horse and Lincoln.


Werd. More Saving Private Ryan. Less Super 8 and other kiddie crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Although doesn't appear to be anything original, I'll be watching anyway.
Gotta wonder if the trailer gave a little too much away....

That's kind of what I thought but.... f**k it. I'm there. tongue.gif
post #7 of 539
Pretty interesting looking at this photo of Damon from Elysium it makes sense whey the 2 studios didn't want to be released in Apr at the same time. Cruise & Damon look nearly identical. But what's more surprising is that the smaller less anticipated Oblivion somehow managed to bully Elysium from Apr to Oct. I would think it would be the way around since Elysium was there 1st.
post #8 of 539
Tom Cruise > Matt Damon
post #9 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I thought Kosinski did a great job with Tron Legacy
That is highly debatable.
post #10 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

That is highly debatable.
+100000

I thought it was crap.
post #11 of 539
Why does Tom Cruise play the same type of Actor in virtually all of his movies? He does the same facial expressions, same everything. I cant differentiate his character from that of his other movies they are all the same.
post #12 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

Why does Tom Cruise play the same type of Actor in virtually all of his movies? He does the same facial expressions, same everything. I cant differentiate his character from that of his other movies they are all the same.

Can you say any different for the likes of Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Jack Nicholson or Clint Eastwood?

Some actors are chameleons who attempt to radically change their personality and performance from role to role. These are generally character actors. Others are leading men who adapt the role to suit their own screen persona. Both are valid approaches.
post #13 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Can you say any different for the likes of Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Jack Nicholson or Clint Eastwood?
Some actors are chameleons who attempt to radically change their personality and performance from role to role. These are generally character actors. Others are leading men who adapt the role to suit their own screen persona. Both are valid approaches.


Well said. I can say the same about Matt Damon. Even in The Departed he was his same self except with a Bwahstin accent. wink.gif
post #14 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

That is highly debatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

+100000
I thought it was crap.
That's why I said I thought... wink.gif and like I said Tron was his first movie. It could have been way worse imo, considering the mega-prodution that it was, Disney and stuff, the Tron cult following... It was not an easy task for a first-time director, but what do I know? tongue.gif
post #15 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

That's why I said I thought... wink.gif and like I said Tron was his first movie. It could have been way worse imo, considering the mega-prodution that it was, Disney and stuff, the Tron cult following... It was not an easy task for a first-time director, but what do I know? tongue.gif
You know and I know the primary reason (besides porn) for the internet is the wonderful opportunity it gives people to bitch anonymously.tongue.gif
post #16 of 539
I had to borrow this from AICN talk back, some folks make me LMAO with their insight and hate:

It's an extended riff on WALL-E that descends into the full laundry list of post-apocalypse sci fi cliches

by margot_tenenbaum

Mixed in with Cruise's patented "I'm putting 750% into my acting goddammit" technique
post #17 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

Why does Tom Cruise play the same type of Actor in virtually all of his movies? He does the same facial expressions, same everything. I cant differentiate his character from that of his other movies they are all the same.

Really?
I certainly dont think his portrayal of Ethan Hunt in the M.I. movies are anything like his role in Collateral....which doesnt seem to me to be the same as his role in War of the Worlds....which seems light years different to his acting in A Few Good Men....IMO

I cant agree at all with your post.
post #18 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Really?
I certainly dont think his portrayal of Ethan Hunt in the M.I. movies are anything like his role in Collateral....which doesnt seem to me to be the same as his role in War of the Worlds....which seems light years different to his acting in A Few Good Men....IMO
I cant agree at all with your post.
Cruise has shown again and again he will take chances with his roles.
He just so happens to be very popular as an Action Star in blockbusters.
post #19 of 539
I would agree 100% in his Top gun era and I irked and hated his movies back then..the young cocky hothead guy. BUT,..the turning point for me was Magnolia when he played that Love guru con artist and The Last samurai there is no way anyone can say he keeps playing the same guy. That's just not right. You can hate him for being the self righteous loop nut Scientology but what he does on screen nobody can match his committeemen and dedication to his work. His range and the vast library he has given his audience is really 2nd to none.

He can do both,,, the high art Daniel Day Lewis stuff and the blockbuster popcorn action stuff so people should be grateful he hasn't dropped the ball yet and continually to execute high quality with the best top notch directors in the industry year after year. He's had a few minor lapses but always come back with something solid but hey even Kobe or MJ can have an off game here and there.

Look what he has now...Jack reacher a crime drama suspense action then does a 360 and hits you up with a Sci Fi Oblivion and All you need is Kill in 2013.
post #20 of 539
Absolutely right.wink.gif
The guy can do whatever you want him to.

Check out Tropic Thunder:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0942385/fullcredits
post #21 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Absolutely right.wink.gif
The guy can do whatever you want him to.
Check out Tropic Thunder:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0942385/fullcredits

LOL...now thats the example I should have posted!
post #22 of 539
New international trailer:


Looks awesome! cool.gif
post #23 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

New international trailer:


Looks awesome! cool.gif
Indeed it does.smile.gif
post #24 of 539
I just realized something, this is Cruise 1st legit out of the universe deep space Sci-Fi movie. So this movie just adds credibility to his amazing range to his huge hall of fame library of films in the past 3 decades going back to Risky Business. He can look back and say he's done it all with passing grade..well done Mr Cruise.
post #25 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

I just realized something, this is Cruise 1st legit out of the universe deep space Sci-Fi movie. So this movie just adds credibility to his amazing range to his huge hall of fame library of films in the past 3 decades going back to Risky Business. He can look back and say he's done it all with passing grade..well done Mr Cruise.
What I've been consistently noticing in all those years is that he couldn't convincingly play a role of someone his own age. Due to his looks and voice, he did well for a role of someone at least 10 years younger or he had to wait at least 10 years to fit in to the given role. For example, in 'A Few Good Men', he still looked and sounded too much like a high school student to take on the role of army lieutenant. Now, is that a bad thing? I would say that depends on what the casting department is trying to do.
post #26 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

What I've been consistently noticing in all those years is that he couldn't convincingly play a role of someone his own age. Due to his looks and voice, he did well for a role of someone at least 10 years younger or he had to wait at least 10 years to fit in to the given role. For example, in 'A Few Good Men', he still looked and sounded too much like a high school student to take on the role of army lieutenant. Now, is that a bad thing? I would say that depends on what the casting department is trying to do.

I'd say they're trying to come up with a higher platform shoe that looks good while running.
post #27 of 539
I think all of us here hope or did hope to look as young as he does at his current age.
Can't blame a guy for good genes.

BTW, no one can deny he is an effective and skilled actor.
post #28 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I think all of us here hope or did hope to look as young as he does at his current age.
Can't blame a guy for good genes.

True - Can't take that away from the conversation.

Skill ?
Facial .. Yep!
post #29 of 539
Best Buy has a new offer out. Buy any one of 20 blu-rays and receive up to $8 towards the purchase of one admission to "Oblivion" in theaters. Plus free shipping.
post #30 of 539
The script was utter trash.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home