or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oblivion - Page 5

post #121 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Or Born on the Fourth of July?

By simply having mentioned Born on the Fourth of July you reminded me why I so hated the young Tom Cruise. That wasn't all his fault of course. With Oliver Stone having directed, and Ron Kovic, having written the memoir upon which the film is based, it's not surprising that it didn't appeal to me. Based on the one time I saw it, a long time ago, I gave Born on the fourth of July 4 Stars out of 10 and thought that was generous. Oh, did I say, I hate, hate hated it?smile.gif

As noted in earlier posts here and elsewhere, I have come around to the position that Cruise is a fine actor but my assessment is despite, not because of his appearance in Born on the Fourth of July.
post #122 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Have you seen Magnolia?

I had forgotten this one. I have it on VHS somewhere.
post #123 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Have you seen Magnolia?

Respect the c@ck!
post #124 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

tiny Tom
biggrin.gif
post #125 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Have you seen Magnolia?

Amazing movie, and his performance was great. Probably one of my favorite movies with him in it.
post #126 of 539
Went to see this movie yesterday. It seemed to have all the elements of a great movie, but I failed to get pulled into it.
post #127 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

biggrin.gif

My dismissive description of Cruise as "tiny Tom" was probably a little harsh. Although Cruise is indeed short he is really buff. About 10 years ago there was a running back at the University of Oklahoma named Quentin Griffin who was 5'7" but weighed 195. It was said of him, "Quentin isn't little, he's just short." So it is with Cruise.
post #128 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

By simply having mentioned Born on the Fourth of July you reminded me why I so hated the young Tom Cruise. That wasn't all his fault of course. With Oliver Stone having directed, and Ron Kovic, having written the memoir upon which the film is based, it's not surprising that it didn't appeal to me. Based on the one time I saw it, a long time ago, I gave Born on the fourth of July 4 Stars out of 10 and thought that was generous. Oh, did I say, I hate, hate hated it?smile.gif

As noted in earlier posts here and elsewhere, I have come around to the position that Cruise is a fine actor but my assessment is despite, not because of his appearance in Born on the Fourth of July.

I think you need to watch it again.
post #129 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I think you need to watch it again.

Never!
post #130 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

Amazing movie, and his performance was great. Probably one of my favorite movies with him in it.

I saw that movie, I thought it was a snoozer.frown.gif
post #131 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

Amazing movie, and his performance was great. Probably one of my favorite movies with him in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I saw that movie, I thought it was a snoozer.frown.gif

I feel very strongly, both ways.smile.gif Although I thought Oblivion fell well short of being deathless art, it was a serviceable film with high production values and good performances. I gave it 7 Stars out of 10.
post #132 of 539
Am I the only person who had Stark Trek "The Movie" and Independence Day flash backs when he flew into the mother ship? I mean seriously ... Or, how about blowing up a pyramid shaped object with a nuke, say like .... I don't know Stargate? The entire movie was nothing more than small vignettes from other movies and video games.
post #133 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsDif View Post

Went to see this movie yesterday. It seemed to have all the elements of a great movie, but I failed to get pulled into it.
Yeah, I saw it also the very same day, and agree with everything above. It just didn't grab me. If it's "book-based", I imagine the novel is much better.

It has a few good elements (canyon dogfight), and a twist I didn't see coming, but still doesn't cut the mustard. Maybe a director's cut is needed. Cruise in Minority Report (with its flaws) is better than this. Anyway, I'm sure I'll rent at home to see if I missed anything.
post #134 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

By simply having mentioned Born on the Fourth of July you reminded me why I so hated the young Tom Cruise. That wasn't all his fault of course. With Oliver Stone having directed, and Ron Kovic, having written the memoir upon which the film is based, it's not surprising that it didn't appeal to me. Based on the one time I saw it, a long time ago, I gave Born on the fourth of July 4 Stars out of 10 and thought that was generous. Oh, did I say, I hate, hate hated it?smile.gif

As noted in earlier posts here and elsewhere, I have come around to the position that Cruise is a fine actor but my assessment is despite, not because of his appearance in Born on the Fourth of July.

I'm not anti-Tom-Cruise myself but I had trouble with Cruise in 4th of July too. Actually, I have trouble with him in most non-action movies, simply because he's always dialed to "11" whatever role he plays. He's just super-wound-up with energy, even when not playing an action hero. It certainly works for his action movies, though. (Didn't really like him in Magnolia either, blasphemy, I know...)
post #135 of 539
Yup back then Cruise was so amped up and wanted to knock it out of the ball park so it seems like every character he played was the same guy, the same tone, the same expressions. I don't think I ever watched A Few Good men for that reason. And 4th of July was hilarious joke with that stupid fake mustache, never bought any of it.

But he did have a few I really liked in his early days like Cocktails and Far & Away. Those had a lot of charm and good story telling. Then came Magnolia...I know, I know I sound like a broken record but after that performance, everything else he did from that point on stuck with me. Even the ones I didn't like so much like The Last Samurai I at least had respect for his performance.

Now after 3 decades, the once insecure, young cocky guy is a tour de force confident solid seasoned actor that knows his audience and has the clout to surround himself with the best production. I'm telling you man, now that this Oprah thing is way behind him and his divorce/personal stuff is all in the past he's going to crank out quality after quality films hopefully at least 2 good ones every year.
post #136 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Yup back then Cruise was so amped up and wanted to knock it out of the ball park so it seems like every character he played was the same guy, the same tone, the same expressions. I don't think I ever watched A Few Good men for that reason. And 4th of July was hilarious joke with that stupid fake mustache, never bought any of it.

Who doesn't look stupid with a mustache anyway? wink.gif

...In the 80s, early 90s, he often played the same kind of character, but that wasn't necessarily his fault imo. Studios wanted it, and audiences as well. But even in Rain Man, it was already a sign that he could do something different. I liked Born On The 4th Of July actually, though it's not a film I want to watch every week.

After 3 decades, he's still on top and never disappoints.
post #137 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Who doesn't look stupid with a mustache anyway? wink.gif .

Sam Elliot?
post #138 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by simontan View Post

Sam Elliot?

and maybe Tom Selleck tongue.gif
post #139 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

and maybe Tom Selleck tongue.gif

lol good ole Magnum P.I.
post #140 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by simontan View Post

Sam Elliot?
No-no-no...now there's one cat that was born to have a mustache. I've seen him without one and he looks weird without it.
post #141 of 539
Hey, can you say the words "Sam Elliot" in hushed tones? I've got a bunch of women here at work that would sell their husbands to a glue factory for a chance to meet him. biggrin.gif
post #142 of 539
Some guys do get a lot out of a mustache-
Selleck
Elliot
Gable
Flynn
Redford
Reynolds
Gene Hackman even gets a bit of flair with one. The rest of us end up looking at best like cops or airline pilots.
post #143 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

The rest of us end up looking at best like cops or airline pilots.

Or 70's Porno stars
post #144 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Or 70's Porno stars

The late Harry Reems rocked the 'stach like an A-lister. The rest just looked ridiculous.
post #145 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Or 70's Porno stars

God, I wish you hadn't posted that! When I read it, a mental image of Ron Jeremy flashed in my head. I may have to seek therapy.smile.gif
post #146 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

God, I wish you hadn't posted that! When I read it, a mental image of Ron Jeremy flashed in my head. I may have to seek therapy.smile.gif

there must be some tickling virtues to a mustache!................ tongue.gif Ron has probably all the answers! biggrin.gif
post #147 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

God, I wish you hadn't posted that! When I read it, a mental image of Ron Jeremy flashed in my head. I may have to seek therapy.smile.gif

lol biggrin.gif sorry gwsat.
post #148 of 539
Went to see this today. Some flaws, such as the cigar, but otherwise I enjoyed it. The only thing I hated about Cruise is that he doesn't look his age. cool.gif Decent effects along with a story that I was able to buy into. I'm not sure I'll buy for home viewing, but at a decent price I'd consider it.
post #149 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Never!

Agree - all this Cruise love is disturbing.
The other forum is bad enough. Please say it ain't so here.
post #150 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Agree - all this Cruise love is disturbing.
The other forum is bad enough. Please say it ain't so here.

Other Forum? What manner of trickery is this? GET THE OUTLANDER!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home