or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL60EX645 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony KDL60EX645 thread - Page 2

post #31 of 169
Thanks Sodaboy, I like the D75 calibration for brightly lit room (day). I'll keep the D65 calibration for the evening and movie watching setting.
post #32 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post

Also the price of this set has not been discounted as much as I expected, Sony's new policies.
It didn't seem to matter much when I scored this set for $999 at Fry's, New Year's Day, brand new. I saw at least 2 others buy it that day as well. It was a no brainer at that price point.

I can't really vouch about off axis viewing, since it really isn't a problem the way my room is set up. But I don't have any issues with the black level or uniformity. (Actually, I don't know if my eye is playing tricks on me, but MAYBE the upper left corner has a slightly different tint to it when a solid white screen is up... But, I'm really doubting myself about it and I don't notice it during content.)

I can't really detect any banding either on my set. Perhaps if I go looking for it, I might find SOMETHING, but I've watched a bunch of movies on this set and some regular cable and nothing's bothered me about the TV so far.
post #33 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

It's actually panel size, type AND factory variances. Even if you have the same panel size and type, the factory calibration of the white balance and color could be different as well as just how the panel behaves in general.
If panel size and type match, though, other user's calibrated settings can be a great starting point if not already there (if you're lucky!)
Okay, so what are you using to get the perfect calibration settings for your TV?
post #34 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFDFireFighter View Post

Okay, so what are you using to get the perfect calibration settings for your TV?

Just an i1Display Pro Colorimeter and ColorHCFR.

I wouldn't say it's "perfect" either. i1Display Pro Colorimeter doesn't compare to other devices that cost thousands of dollars, but it's still better than no calibration at all.

Also, if this TV had a 10 point white balance as opposed to a 2 point, the calibration would be even better.

If this TV had a CMS *and* a 10 point white balance, THEN you could get a perfect calibration. (Though, there's still others who say you need one of a Radiance video processor with a 125 point calibration option in your display chain. But, way too expensive for my blood.)
post #35 of 169
Just got this tv the other day from frys (killer deal) and tried all the setting posted. For me they all tend to still be a little off. So I ordered a spyder calibration tool when I get it next week, I will post my settings to see if it helps anybody. Not that I am saying that the ones posted before are not good, I just think its always good to have some options. I hope that if fixes some of the color issues I am having, Either its too washed out or too dark and muddy.
post #36 of 169
You should check to see what Panel type you have in your 60".

It's probably not the same Sharp as us and, yeah, probably requires different settings.
post #37 of 169
Thats what I was thinking, I will post what I find out in a bit.
post #38 of 169
It says I have a sharp_lk
post #39 of 169
Then probably just panel variances. My settings aren't washed out at all.

Tell me, did you disable all power saving features?
post #40 of 169
Sodaboy's settings look great. The color is certainly not washed out to me but, dare I say 'realistic'. I think most are used to cooler color temperatures and way over saturated colors. It took me a while to get used to the D65 settings.

You guys got a great deal on this set, wow! I feel like I got ripped off and I bought mine on New Years day as well. Don't have a Fry's to close by, either.
post #41 of 169
Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster, and I just want to say thanks in advance!

I've been shopping for TVs, and the 60EX645 is one of the top options I'm seriously considering. However, I have a few questions:

1. The simple question first - I've read in the EX640 thread that quite a few people had uniformity issues (i.e. flashlighting, clouding, etc). For those who own the set, can you speak to whether you have been experiencing such issues?

2. This question is a bit more complex - I'm considering building a HTPC which would play Blu-Ray discs. I've downloaded the manual from the Sony site and have studied it carefully, and whenever it speaks about a PC connection, it only mentions a vertical refresh rate of 60hz (it even mentions this regarding HDMI). My question is, on a computer connected to this TV, will the options for a refresh rate of 23hz or 24hz be available (assuming the computer's video card can support this)? Can an owner, who has a computer connected to this TV, try it out and let me know what they find?

In summary, I'm worried that when a video card "handshakes" with this TV, the TV tells the video card it only supports an input refresh rate of 60hz, which would cause 3:2 pulldown of 24p movies (which is not ideal). However, I would think that a 1080/24p (hz) signal sent over HDMI from a PC would work because that would be similar to a standalone Blu-Ray player (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The manual is vague about this mad.gif

And to be clear, I am not getting mixed up with the TV's screen refresh rate of 120hz. I'm strictly speaking about the refresh rate of input signals the TV can accept from a PC via HDMI.

Thanks for any insight you all can provide!
post #42 of 169
I have a htpc and it connects to my tv via a hdmi cable. When I got the sony, all I did was disconnect the cable and plug it back in, I haven't had any problems with the HTPC. I use xbmc as the frontend
post #43 of 169
"1. The simple question first - I've read in the EX640 thread that quite a few people had uniformity issues (i.e. flashlighting, clouding, etc). For those who own the set, can you speak to whether you have been experiencing such issues?"

Yes.

They all have one or the other or both to some extent. These are the minor annoyances IMHO of edge lit led tv's. I don't notice them through 90% or more of my viewing. If you like to sit in a completely dark room and look at a full on black screen with no image you will see clouding quite easily on this set or any other edge lit led tv, but this isn't how I watch my tv, YMMV.
Edited by Tom Bley - 1/8/13 at 5:20am
post #44 of 169
True I've been fiddling around to try and reduce the classifying issues. Not horrible mind you, my wife thinks I'm crazy, but it's there.

Last night i tried an old trick from my rptv days, i added a simple backlight, a florescent light shining in the back wall behind it. I was stunned at the improvement. I spent 3 hours watching my reference material afterwards. The Black's may as well been perfect to my eyes. For what its worth...

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
post #45 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by team View Post

2. This question is a bit more complex - I'm considering building a HTPC which would play Blu-Ray discs. I've downloaded the manual from the Sony site and have studied it carefully, and whenever it speaks about a PC connection, it only mentions a vertical refresh rate of 60hz (it even mentions this regarding HDMI). My question is, on a computer connected to this TV, will the options for a refresh rate of 23hz or 24hz be available (assuming the computer's video card can support this)? Can an owner, who has a computer connected to this TV, try it out and let me know what they find?

23hz and 24hz options are there, I am using my TV with my old Intel HD3000 series laptop as an HTPC.

Crappy cell phone pic for proof, if you need it: http://www.vengefulsoda.com/60ex645/sonytv_res.jpg

... oh.. and a Print Screen: http://www.vengefulsoda.com/60ex645/sonytv_res_hq.png
Edited by sodaboy581 - 1/8/13 at 6:23am
post #46 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspledge View Post

True I've been fiddling around to try and reduce the classifying issues. Not horrible mind you, my wife thinks I'm crazy, but it's there.
Last night i tried an old trick from my rptv days, i added a simple backlight, a florescent light shining in the back wall behind it. I was stunned at the improvement. I spent 3 hours watching my reference material afterwards. The Black's may as well been perfect to my eyes. For what its worth...
Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Right, exactly like watching the tv during the day versus at night with no lights or very little light on in the room. In the day your pupil closes down and the blacks look perfect. The back lighting behind the tv at night will cause your pupil to shrink down just enough and you have great blacks again. smile.gif I may actually do this with some led strip lights behind my tv.
Edited by Tom Bley - 1/8/13 at 7:23am
post #47 of 169
Hey, just got this tv, love it...
My problem is my wireless keyboard and mouse work in usb2, but not in usb1. I get the device detected message, but functions do not work. Memory stick with photos works ok.
Any suggestions?
post #48 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrogie View Post

Any suggestions?
Don't have a clue. There's probably not a lot of people who are in the same situation as you as I think most people who want to use a keyboard with their TV typically do so with a HTPC attached to their TV... You may be better off calling Sony about that one. If it works in one port and not the other, it COULD be a defect but it also COULD be by design.
post #49 of 169
Thanks, it was suggested I get a keyboard/mouse bundle that works with one receiver. Just wanted to use stuff I already had.
What is a HTPC?
post #50 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrogie View Post

Thanks, it was suggested I get a keyboard/mouse bundle that works with one receiver. Just wanted to use stuff I already had.
What is a HTPC?

Home Theater Personal Computer
post #51 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

23hz and 24hz options are there, I am using my TV with my old Intel HD3000 series laptop as an HTPC.
Crappy cell phone pic for proof, if you need it: http://www.vengefulsoda.com/60ex645/sonytv_res.jpg
... oh.. and a Print Screen: http://www.vengefulsoda.com/60ex645/sonytv_res_hq.png

Sodaboy581, thank you so much for the screenshots! One more question, could you try both 23 and 24hz and verify that the video card is able to sync with the TV and display properly at those refresh rates (if you haven't done so already)?

Again, thanks in advance smile.gif
post #52 of 169
I have already tried it and it works just fine.
post #53 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

I have already tried it and it works just fine.

Good to know, sodaboy581 your responsiveness is appreciated!
post #54 of 169
Ok, so I think I figured out my problem. We got this TV to replace a plasma that we ended up moving to our bedroom, side by side the plasma has a much deeper color (I think its just the nature of the beast) I want to thank sodaboy581 for his settings, they all did look much, much, much better than when the TV was stock, The Sony is really a nice TV and at that price its a steal, but for us it just wasn't a good fit for where it is. Going to return it and get another plasma.

Thanks again for all the help trying to get this thing dialed in, I guess at least now I have a spyder4 that I always wanted anyways.
post #55 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post

I would like your opinions of some TV’s I am considering... Newer technologies will be coming and am concerned about investing too much money on a technology what will be obsolete real soon like(OLED, 4k resolution etc). Also the price of this set has not been discounted as much as I expected... Should I wait for the new 2013 tv since they are around they will be released soon?

I'm in somewhat the same boat. I have a 46" Sony KDL46EX400 that is now three years old (and now paid off!) and with which we have been very happy, though I do remember the long, long time that it took to find just the right settings to make it look good to us (many so called calibrated settings posted here just didn't look right). On the plus side we also have a Sony BRP and so won't need to reprogram the AVR remote and everything would work well together. Similarly there will likely be short learning curve to figure out the ins and outs of this particular model.

Our purchase will primarily be for the larger screen size. As long as I can achieve a comparable (or superior) image as that of the KDL-EX then I will be happy. We don't do much in the way of internet video, but the wireless will probably be handy at some point. Note that we apparently lucked out and got a KDL-EX with a Samsung panel which did not have the issues that some others had experienced.

One question I have not been able to answer anywhere is, is the digital output optical or coaxial? Anyone know?
Thanks!
post #56 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

I'm in somewhat the same boat. I have a 46" Sony KDL46EX400 that is now three years old (and now paid off!) and with which we have been very happy, though I do remember the long, long time that it took to find just the right settings to make it look good to us (many so called calibrated settings posted here just didn't look right). On the plus side we also have a Sony BRP and so won't need to reprogram the AVR remote and everything would work well together. Similarly there will likely be short learning curve to figure out the ins and outs of this particular model.

Our purchase will primarily be for the larger screen size. As long as I can achieve a comparable (or superior) image as that of the KDL-EX then I will be happy. We don't do much in the way of internet video, but the wireless will probably be handy at some point. Note that we apparently lucked out and got a KDL-EX with a Samsung panel which did not have the issues that some others had experienced.

One question I have not been able to answer anywhere is, is the digital output optical or coaxial? Anyone know?
Thanks!

Optical
post #57 of 169
OK, so I got CalMAN 5 Basic today. Did a couple of calibrations in it. (9300K and 6500K) Strangely, the values are a bit different than ColorHCFR. But they look good, maybe even better, IMHO.

I'll share my settings below. Note that I'm using LED Motion Mode now in my calibrations due to the fact that I see a definite improvement in moving motion while watching movies and even more so while playing video games with it on. (Since you can't enable LED Motion Mode in Game mode, I only use the calibration with it on while playing RPG games or slower paced games that don't require split second inputs.) You'll notice the Backlight is MAX in the 6500K calibration, but that's also because LED Motion Mode halves the backlight. @109% White was 42 fL in this set up.

You will also notice I went into the Service/Factory Mode to adjust my White Balance for the Neutral (9300K) calibrations. This is because I use Game mode with a 9300K temperature and you can't use the User mode calibration in Game mode. However, tweaking the Factory Mode's White Balance affects all Picture modes, including Game mode.

Enjoy!

/////////////////////////////////////
CalMAN 9300K Calibration Sony 60EX645
/////////////////////////////////////

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 6
Picture: 88
Brightness: 53
Color: 53
Hue: R1
Sharpness: Min
Color Temperature: Neutral
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: Standard
CineMotion: Auto 2 or Off


Advanced Settings
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Black Corrector: Off
Gamma: -2 (Gives 2.2 gamma... w/o it it's 2.0 for Picture Mode Standard and Color Temp. Neutral)
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
LED Motion Mode: On


// NEW FACTORY MODE W/B NEUTRAL (Preferred to adjust this way for Game mode.)
// WRITE YOUR OLD GAINS AND OFFSETS DOWN SOMEWHERE IN CASE YOU NEED THEM IN THE FUTURE!
// Gains: 528, 512, 425
// Offsets: 512, 512, 512

White Balance
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: 0
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: -2


/////////////////////////////////////
CalMan 6500K Calibration Sony 60EX645
/////////////////////////////////////

Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: Max
Picture: 95
Brightness: 50
Color: 52
Hue: 0
Sharpness: Min
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: Standard
CineMotion: Auto 2 or Off

Advanced Settings
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Black Corrector: Off
Gamma: 0
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
LED Motion Mode: On

White Balance
R-Gain: -1
G-Gain: -1
B-Gain: 0
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: -2

///////////////////////////////////
Game 9300K Calibration Sony 60EX645
///////////////////////////////////

Picture Mode: Game
Backlight: 1
Picture: 88
Brightness: 50
Color: 56
Hue: G4
Sharpness: Min
Color Temperature: Neutral

White Balance settings come from tweaks in Factory Mode Color Temp Menu. (Left, Right, Mute, OK, Mute, Menu)
Save new Neutral White Balance settings by selecting Data Backup, W/B, and hitting OK.
post #58 of 169
Sodaboy, I'm going to try those. Is there a way to save multiple custom settings or is one custom setting all we get. I have two settings d65 & d75 but, the d75 one is saved under the standard setting and the d65 is saved under the custom setting. I wish Sony would give you several custom settings. All I have left to work with without changing the other settings is from the Vivid setting.
post #59 of 169
I don't think so... just the standard and custom on each input. frown.gif
post #60 of 169
Hi Sodaboy / others,

I also bought a 60EX645 from Fry's for 999 the day after Christmas. I have couple of questions

1. How to find the panel type / info of my TV?
2. I get SOE when I watch Youtube app inbuilt in the Sony TV (Sony Entertainment Network). How do I get rid of that. I tried turning off the motion flow, and setting cinemotion to auto1 / auto2 / off. But no change. If I watch Netflix via the DVD player, I don't get that effect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Edited by kannansid - 1/15/13 at 4:33pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL60EX645 thread