or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Sealed Stereo Integrity HT-18D2 [build thread]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sealed Stereo Integrity HT-18D2 [build thread] - Page 2

post #31 of 72
Wow, great work! Building any more of them? smile.gif
post #32 of 72
Thread Starter 
Thanks. I will likely build one more.
post #33 of 72
Any listening impressions yet?
post #34 of 72
Thread Starter 
Not done yet. Will take the final clamps off later today.
post #35 of 72
Thread Starter 
From the last few days...

Wednesday I attached the 8 dowels to the baffle. Dab of PL, bolted on. When they were all on, I placed it on the box and clamped. Replaced bolts with throw-aways, unscrewing them a half turn every so often. The next day they came out easily. This worked at keeping any appreciable amount of PL out of the inserts.


I think most of this came from removing the bolt.




Yesterday...



Since last night the final glue job has been in clamps. Baffle to box, and the other side of the dowels to the rear. I'm going to give it a full 24 hrs before I open it up. Later tonight I'll start with flushing all the overhangs.
post #36 of 72
Thread Starter 
Well, it's complete. Not yet finished, but good for now. The final assembly went smoothly for the most part. A couple boo boos with the veneer... I was leaning toward painting, so it isn't bothering me (too much).

All glued up.


Walls lined.


Gasket.


Installed.


Problem #1: The PAPER THIN veneer on the plywood shaved off when I was flush mounting. The worst of this was at the back of one of the sides. I was leaning toward paint anyway, as my tests with wood finish on this veneer were not satisfactory. So in the end, this is a non-issue, thankfully. My initial test of flush trimming didn’t reveal this problem because it was where the side met the top – and the top and bottom were made from a different plywood with a thicker veneer. Live and learn.


Problem #2: The outer layer of the ply chipped in the upper right corner of the baffle.


I'll be amp-limited until Christmas, but powered by a BASH 500, this thing is already a huge improvement over my previous TC-1K/Passive Radiator box. And it looks a lot better.

Larger pics here.
post #37 of 72
seems like you could fix that chip and when the top is added, it would never be noticeable.

the wood seems too nice to paint.
post #38 of 72
What about putting some of these to protect the corners
post #39 of 72
Thread Starter 
That's a good point. I had temporarily forgotten about the granite top. What would you suggest for fixing the chip? Cut it out to a square and cut a matching square from scrap, glue it in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

seems like you could fix that chip and when the top is added, it would never be noticeable.

the wood seems too nice to paint.
post #40 of 72
i don't know what the best way to fix that little nick.

member passinginterest may a good idea. he has a lot of experience with veneer and repairing veneer.
post #41 of 72
You could razor cut it square. Then cut out a "patch" from some scrap and glue it in there?
post #42 of 72
Thread Starter 
I may be using the same 2cm granite that I used for my L/R baffles. I can laminate an overhanging "skirt" of granite all around. This method is used a little to make granite countertops appear thicker.

Cutting to a square would also work. The spot is really small after the initial scrutiny has worn off. And the other problem area is on the least exposed area. In my room it'll never be seen by anyone other than my cat.
post #43 of 72
Thread Starter 
Close Mic - crossover @ 60 hz


Pre-EQ from listening position


Here are the filters I used.


Pre-EQ, Post-EQ Filters above, and a small LT to extend the -3db point from 38 to 33hz


Pre-Audyssey and Post-Audyssey Audyssey was nice enough to tame my 100-250hz hump, but I don't think I want a 10db boost at 10 hz (or 5 if I can trust the graph).


Disabling the LT dropped the low boost by 3db. That still leaves a lot of low boost in place.


I'll be building a second one of these soon, so my goal right now is not to get the deepest loudest extension I can. Once I have two, I might hunt for the limit. Any critique or suggestions on my EQ would be appreciated.

Did some rearrangements yesterday. Since I no longer have a record player, that little record cabinet will move out when the 2nd box is built.

Edited by baniels - 1/2/13 at 6:19pm
post #44 of 72
Very nice results! Goodtimes. smile.gif

Nice setup by the way. However, the stickler in me sees a perfect 'window' for a 120" scope screen. Do it! biggrin.gif
post #45 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Very nice results! Goodtimes. smile.gif
Nice setup by the way. However, the stickler in me sees a perfect 'window' for a 120" scope screen. Do it! biggrin.gif

yep. would be easy to hide a motorized screen there.
post #46 of 72
Thread Starter 
Thanks, Scott. A 50 to 70 inch jump (which I've been thinking about) looks like it would be awesome, until I overlay your 120" outside of that. I'll let you write the proposal to my wife.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Very nice results! Goodtimes. smile.gif

Nice setup by the way. However, the stickler in me sees a perfect 'window' for a 120" scope screen. Do it! biggrin.gif
post #47 of 72
Does she like movies? biggrin.gif
post #48 of 72
Thread Starter 
I think it should start with "Downton Abbey might be great on 50 inches, but just imagine..."
post #49 of 72
motorized. you could build a cover for it across that whole top and tie it into the window area. it would be hiding the curtain rods as well. would look totally normal when its put away
post #50 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

motorized. you could build a cover for it across that whole top and tie it into the window area. it would be hiding the curtain rods as well. would look totally normal when its put away

In Baniels case, a very good idea. I, myself, am more of an AT guy but...

Seriously, with big screens you just have to do it and let them see. Worked for me in my room and I even got my Father hooked up in his bedroom with a 140" screen. No seriously. His Mitsubishi DLP 65" HDTV died and we were both trying to figure out what would be a good replacement. All the good plasmas and LCD's were just too expensive and all only in the 60-65" range. It told him, "dude, just get a projector. You'll love it." "No no no. I don't want a projector on the wall..." blah blah blah. I let him borrow my Panasonic projector for a few days. Just to let it sink in. We blew that baby up to as large an image that would fit his wall. He was floored. Bought himself an Epson projector the first day for about 3-4 times less than another 65" tv would have cost him. This was a year or so ago and he is still extremely happy.

Just a thought. wink.gif
post #51 of 72
Nice results!
post #52 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

In Baniels case, a very good idea. I, myself, am more of an AT guy but...
Seriously, with big screens you just have to do it and let them see. Worked for me in my room and I even got my Father hooked up in his bedroom with a 140" screen. No seriously. His Mitsubishi DLP 65" HDTV died and we were both trying to figure out what would be a good replacement. All the good plasmas and LCD's were just too expensive and all only in the 60-65" range. It told him, "dude, just get a projector. You'll love it." "No no no. I don't want a projector on the wall..." blah blah blah. I let him borrow my Panasonic projector for a few days. Just to let it sink in. We blew that baby up to as large an image that would fit his wall. He was floored. Bought himself an Epson projector the first day for about 3-4 times less than another 65" tv would have cost him. This was a year or so ago and he is still extremely happy.
Just a thought. wink.gif

This man has good advice smile.gif
post #53 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post


This is silly overkill.





...I love it. biggrin.gif
post #54 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

yep. would be easy to hide a motorized screen there.

I would be happy to help you with that problem. smile.gif

Nice sub. Looking forward to my pair.
Reply
Reply
post #55 of 72
Thread Starter 
Second verse, same as the first. So far so good.

Should have the second cabinet completed by Tuesday night. Then I'll be sub-free for a few days while I do a finish on the pair.

post #56 of 72
Thread Starter 
Second D2 will arrive Saturday. Second box will be finished up tonight. I've decided I'm going to wait on the finish. I can't seem to get a satisfactory result with this veneered ply. I've tried stains, poly (waterborne matte, oil-based gloss), Maloof oil. I'm going to leave them bare for now and postpone that decision. The way they are going to be situated in my room, only a small part of the baffle is exposed. The granite will be covering the top.

Somewhere along the line I got onto email lists for Tree Frog Veneer and Chemetal. I might hold out until I can give one of those a try.

In other news, my granite was cut today. Edge profiles will be finished in the next week or so. It overhangs the box by 1/4" on the back and sides, and the front wave comes out as much as 1.25", just about the same as the surround.





post #57 of 72
Granite on these things!!! That'll add some weight!!! Truly impressive, can't wait to see em!!!
post #58 of 72
I am also trying the end table look with granite tops. I went down firing, though. Have you decided how you'll secure the granite? Are you going to put a layer of anything in between to help absorb vibration? These are the things keeping me up at night...
post #59 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Granite on these things!!! That'll add some weight!!!

Should be somewhere around 55 lbs each. That ought to keep them in line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a|F View Post

I am also trying the end table look with granite tops. I went down firing, though. Have you decided how you'll secure the granite? Are you going to put a layer of anything in between to help absorb vibration? These are the things keeping me up at night...

I haven't given that much thought yet. But, yes, I am planning on putting something between the stone and the wood. I won't be adhering them down permanently. If I ever have to transport them, I'd rather take the stone off first. That grippy drawer liner stuff comes to mind. Readily available. Sorbothane would probably be overthinking it.

FedEx is messing with me. First it said ETA for the sub was Saturday. Later in the day it said ETA was Friday (woohoo). Now it says Saturday again. Don't they know I'm ready?

post #60 of 72
What amp did you end up with, still using the Bash500?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Sealed Stereo Integrity HT-18D2 [build thread]