or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › dying sub: Repair or replace?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

dying sub: Repair or replace?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I have a JBL PB12. I've had it since around 2000. It seems to have been one of the rare PB12s that survived past 5 years. Recently, I have been getting nice loud pops/thumps that make the dog freak out. The Amp is dying and it's time to do something about it.

My options:

1. Repair by replacing the amp with a BASH 300W plate amp for about $170 and some of my time. For the price, seems like a decent idea, although I don't know if the sub itself will last too much longer. Price is "right" but that's not always the best option...

2. Replace with a new equivalent or slightly better sub. I like good quality equipment and sound, but I'm not an audiophile. I'm picky about bass, distortion, etc... I mostly use this system for movies/LFE, but also for some music. So if I were to get a new one, I'd like to stay under $400, but maintain at a minimum, the sound quality of the PB12 or better. I have looked at the following 12" subs:

a) PL-200
b) Klipsch RW-12d on sale for $300, not a bad deal. (sale ends in a few days!)

I haven't looked at subs for quite awhile, so I could use a nudge in the right direction. Interested in opinions on the above two models and others I might not have considered as well as buying versus repairing!

Thanks!
post #2 of 9
In the price range, grab the Klipsch, RW-12d. Performance graphs and personal opinions place the RW-12d as the Top Dog of this price point.

My recommendation, use this as an excuse to upgrade your technology to what I consider to be the happening mid-priced subwoofer.

SVS PB12-NSD.

The current happening deal that's a step down from the PB12-NSD is the PB1000.

Any recommendation is going be based on your stated budget.

Hope the above helps get you nudged in the right direction.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 12/12/12 at 5:23am
post #3 of 9
I would buy the klipsch for $299. Not worth the hassle of installing a new amp, when for $130 more, you can get a whole new sub.
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
I could entertain the PB1000, but I usually prefer a 12" sub over a 10" The PB12-NSD is probably more than I'd like to spend.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Klipsch, and ignoring the repair idea, although I do like tinkering smile.gif
post #5 of 9
At $299 (but not at $499 or $599), the Klipsch RW-12D will be a significant step up from the PB12. The PL-200 is a step up from the PB-12 also.

I used a PE (also consider OAudio) plate amp to repair a JBLsubwoofer three years ago. My PB12, when I had it paired with JBL S312 floorstanding speakers barely augmented the bass because the S312s are very solid to 35 Hz. The PL-200, which my son has, is better than the PB12 and will play to 28 Hz (with exceptional room loading it will go to 25-22 Hz).
Edited by wwinkler - 12/12/12 at 5:40am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post

I could entertain the PB1000, but I usually prefer a 12" sub over a 10" The PB12-NSD is probably more than I'd like to spend.

It's not about what you want to spend. It's about what you can afford to spend to get what you want. In my opinion, a pair of SVS, PB12-NSD, in a normal size room coupled to a DSPeaker Anti-Mode is a minimum standard.

Yes, I know it's all about the "Benjamins" yet at the same time, it's also all about what one wants, quality bass. In my opinion, the esoteric middle ground is a pair of sound meter balanced SVS, PB12-NSD subs dialed in with a DSPeaker, Anti-Mode and AVR provided EQ'g.

Less than the above and the buyer is shortchanging themselves and more than that, the buyer is, well, they're just buying more of what they want, bigger, deeper, cleaner, louder, soul satisfying bass. The point, I don't know if it's possible to waste one's money on upgrading their bass reproduction system.
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

It's not about what you want to spend. It's about what you can afford to spend to get what you want. In my opinion, a pair of SVS, PB12-NSD, in a normal size room coupled to a DSPeaker Anti-Mode is a minimum standard.
Yes, I know it's all about the "Benjamins" yet at the same time, it's also all about what one wants, quality bass. In my opinion, the esoteric middle ground is a pair of sound meter balanced SVS, PB12-NSD subs dialed in with a DSPeaker, Anti-Mode and AVR provided EQ'g.
Less than the above and the buyer is shortchanging themselves and more than that, the buyer is, well, they're just buying more of what they want, bigger, deeper, cleaner, louder, soul satisfying bass. The point, I don't know if it's possible to waste one's money on upgrading their bass reproduction system.
heheh you said reproduction:eek:
Dont know why the damn face wont show up for me.
Edited by Bond 007 - 12/12/12 at 12:08pm
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

It's not about what you want to spend. It's about what you can afford to spend to get what you want. In my opinion, a pair of SVS, PB12-NSD, in a normal size room coupled to a DSPeaker Anti-Mode is a minimum standard.
Yes, I know it's all about the "Benjamins" yet at the same time, it's also all about what one wants, quality bass. In my opinion, the esoteric middle ground is a pair of sound meter balanced SVS, PB12-NSD subs dialed in with a DSPeaker, Anti-Mode and AVR provided EQ'g.
Less than the above and the buyer is shortchanging themselves and more than that, the buyer is, well, they're just buying more of what they want, bigger, deeper, cleaner, louder, soul satisfying bass. The point, I don't know if it's possible to waste one's money on upgrading their bass reproduction system.

completely understand your point of view. However, I need to find a happy medium between getting exactly what I want and making sure I don't go over budget. the PB12 does seem like a great product. That said, I know that in the next 1 - 1.5 years, I'm upgrading everything I have after I move. My current setup will get transplanted to a game room. I'll still have a chance to acquire the PB12-NSD or whatever that is equivalent at that time. I do agree that it's not a "waste" of money to buy better.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post

completely understand your point of view. However, I need to find a happy medium between getting exactly what I want and making sure I don't go over budget. the PB12 does seem like a great product. That said, I know that in the next 1 - 1.5 years, I'm upgrading everything I have after I move. My current setup will get transplanted to a game room. I'll still have a chance to acquire the PB12-NSD or whatever that is equivalent at that time. I do agree that it's not a "waste" of money to buy better.

Moving forward. Based on your above, one might suggest a pair of RW-12d with a DSPeaker, Anti-Mode, 8033S II, which will aid in dialing the system in to correct for room modes or peaks.

Two delivered Klipsch, RW-12d:...... $600.00.

One delivered, DSPeaker, 8033S II, $450.00.

...................................................................................

Total..........................................$1,050.00.

The DSPeaker, Anti-Mode, 8033S II can be carried forward into any upgrade path you might choose.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 12/12/12 at 11:19am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › dying sub: Repair or replace?