or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Steven Wilson band - The raven that refused to sing (and other stories)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steven Wilson band - The raven that refused to sing (and other stories) - Page 5

post #121 of 153
I'm done in any case....
post #122 of 153
Well I listened to a few tracks on youtube of The Raven that Refused to Sing and other stories) and did not really care for it. Kinda like the PT stuff better I guess.
post #123 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post

Well I listened to a few tracks on youtube of The Raven that Refused to Sing and other stories) and did not really care for it. Kinda like the PT stuff better I guess.

You really need to give this album another chance. Nothing can replace the experience of hearing it from start to finish and, even more so, in surround - certainly not listening to just a few tracks on YouTube. The Blu-ray includes DTS-HD MA 5.1 and LPCM 5.1 (96kHz, 24-bit) tracks (the differences between the two are imperceptible to me) and are an absolute aural sensation. Incidentally, the BD also includes instrumental versions and the "lounge version" of "Drive Home". Here is a review of the BD. Jeff Kauffman, the reviewer, concludes in part
Quote:
This is some of the most supremely smart music I've listened to in quite a while, a kaleidoscope of styles and influences that is deliciously hard to describe but which is viscerally compelling and which provides a really epic listening experience. Floyd fans will probably take to this stuff like ducks to water, especially since Alan Parsons is involved, but I can't recommend this disc highly enough to those of you who are willing to let categories fade to nothingness and just let the music play.

It's an amazing album - one that was cut in just 7 days - that features some the most gifted musicians of our time and engineered by one of the greatest (Alan Parsons). Steven said in an interview by Jordan Blum of the examiner that when he's "standing in front of the guys in [his] band, [he] knows [he has] the best ****ing group on the planet right now." So, give it shot.

Oh, in case you missed it, Steven said in that same examiner interview that he's planning to reissue Tree's In Abstentia as a special edition Blu-ray perhaps towards the end of 2013. If it sounds anything like the DVD-A, watch out. wink.gif
post #124 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post

Well I listened to a few tracks on youtube of The Raven that Refused to Sing and other stories) and did not really care for it. Kinda like the PT stuff better I guess.



I forgot this was a thread about The Raven. Thanks for bringing it back on track.
post #125 of 153
It looks like Steven's band is in the midst of a 3 month break from the tour in support of the The Raven before they'll be picking it back up in the UK in October. I suppose that explains why Marco and, more particularly Guthrie (Chad has substituted in for Marco several times throughout) can be touring with The Aristrocrats in support of its new album right now. And, of course, you know what this break probably means . . . another new album in the works from Steven. wink.gif The break might also result in the band playing different songs from Steven's back catalogue when the The Raven tour picks back up in the fall. It's pretty much remained the same set list all the way up until the last festival show they did in the Netherlands.
post #126 of 153
As sort of a follow-up, it looks like Steven isn't the only workaholic in the band. On top of touring in support of the The Raven (though Chad Wackermann is substituting in for many, if not all, shows), not only is Marco also touring in support of the Aristrocrat's new album, Culture Clash, but he also managed to put out another one together with Tony Levin and Jordan Rudess! That album is now up for pre-order in case anyone is interested. Then in his August 2013 News Update, Steven mentioned that he's already begun working on some new material that the band might play (???) when the The Raven tour restarts in October. Here's the exact quote:
Quote:
Firstly I’ve written some new material for the first time in over a year – still a long way to go before any new album will take shape (aiming to record next Summer I think), but in the meantime we may premiere something pretty long on the European tour starting in mid October.
post #127 of 153
Steven Wilson is touring Australia in early October delivering 'Raven' in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.


http://www.metropolistouring.com/images/steven_wilson/poster_steven_wilson.jpg
post #128 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJau View Post

Steven Wilson is touring Australia in early October delivering 'Raven' in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.


http://www.metropolistouring.com/images/steven_wilson/poster_steven_wilson.jpg

Homer, I assume you're going to the show on October 2 (and perhaps one or both of the others in AU as well!). If so, please update the set list online afterward. I'm really curious to see whether Steven will have tweaked it over the break. This reminds me that when I saw the Raven tour here in the U.S. back in April, I managed to position myself in the front row where I noticed Nick had taped a piece of paper on the ground near his pedal box with the set list written on it. Before the show started (*while the video of the large iconic moon played accompanied by Bass Communion music), this guy next to me took an inverted photo of it with his camera. On a couple of occasions when we weren't sure about the title of a song, he flipped on the camera's LCD viewer and voilà, Nick's playlist.

* On March 12, Steven posted this on his official facebook page:
Quote:
We've had several enquiries about the incidental music in the current live show. This was all mixed specifically to make use of the possibilities of the live quadrophonic sound setup (so at the moment none of the music exists in stereo versions for download, CD or otherwise, sorry):

The 30 minute pre-show music is a new Bass Communion piece (although it incorporates some elements from an older BC track "Haze").

The end of show music is a reworked version of Storm Corrosion's "Ljudet Innan".

The sound collage heard before The Watchmaker is also Bass Communion, and was inspired by a piece by British composer Harrison Birtwistle, in which all the raw sounds are recordings of time keeping devices, clocks, watches…etc… (it was also originally conceived for quadrophonic playback.)

For the curious here's a link to the listen to the original 1971 Birtwistle piece "Chronometer": http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/40099.
post #129 of 153
Thanks markuslaw!

Just the Melbourne show for me. Not sure my memory will be up to it as the venue opens 2hrs prior and there is a bar in the concert room! however I'll try and update the set list. (Great website!).

I'd love to hear Radioactive Toy! Didn't realise that was from one of his first solo albums. Deform To Form A Star is probably my current favourite solo song and he's playing that at almost every Raven concert. Can't wait for this! I'm bloody excited!
post #130 of 153
Ah, the old Radioactive Toy. I've never been a big fan of that song, but fortunately for me what they played at our show was not the album version. Instead, and more impressively, it included separate extended guitar solos from both Steven and Guthrie. It was a pleasant surprise to say the least. As for the throne, don't fret if you happen to draw drummer Chad Wackerman in place of Marco. Chad is among a select few on the entire planet capable of accurately playing Marco's insane chops almost note for note, so get ready for one hell of a show.
post #131 of 153
Yes it's Chad Wackerman down under. (Interesting name for a drummer too!)
post #132 of 153
Yeah, his surname is rather appropriate for drummer too! In all seriousness though, it really is astounding how fortunate we are as fans to hear Marco and now witness Chad on the drums for Steven. It's quite fun to watch Chad reproduce all of Marco's unique notes live on stage! They REALLY are among two of the best drummers out there. Looking back to The Raven, Luminol really allowed Marco to showcase his talent and I think the drums sound fantastic on the Blu-ray version's LPCM 5.1 track. My only gripe about the recording is Steven's preference for a softer bass drum. As a former drummer myself and owner of two 15" subwoofers driven by 950 watt plate amps, I prefer a heavier, feel-it-in-your-chest thud from a drummer's foot pedal. IMO, if you look back all throughout Porcupine Tree and Steven's solo material, it's pretty much the same throughout. Now I'm sure he had his reasons for doing this (perhaps so as not to overwhelm Colin's bass guitar or drown out softer snare drum licks from Maitland, Harrison or Marco), but I grew up listening to John Bonham and we all know about Bonzo's preference for playing with volume.
post #133 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post

Yeah, his surname is rather appropriate for drummer too! In all seriousness though, it really is astounding how fortunate we are as fans to hear Marco and now witness Chad on the drums for Steven. It's quite fun to watch Chad reproduce all of Marco's unique notes live on stage! They REALLY are among two of the best drummers out there. Looking back to The Raven, Luminol really allowed Marco to showcase his talent and I think the drums sound fantastic on the Blu-ray version's LPCM 5.1 track. My only gripe about the recording is Steven's preference for a softer bass drum. As a former drummer myself and owner of two 15" subwoofers driven by 950 watt plate amps, I prefer a heavier, feel-it-in-your-chest thud from a drummer's foot pedal. IMO, if you look back all throughout Porcupine Tree and Steven's solo material, it's pretty much the same throughout. Now I'm sure he had his reasons for doing this (perhaps so as not to overwhelm Colin's bass guitar or drown out softer snare drum licks from Maitland, Harrison or Marco), but I grew up listening to John Bonham and we all know about Bonzo's preference for playing with volume.

I have two subs and full range fronts (actually one of the subs has two drivers + another 12" 1000W sub) and think the PT and SW blurays have good bass in general. The current DVD-Audio of in Absentia is lacking low end. Compare that mix to the live Arriving Somewhere DVD in DTS 5.1 and its noticeably different, so I'm hoping a new In Absentia release will have a remix, more like that DVD which I believe SW mixed. The DVD-A was not mixed by SW.

There is a new In Absentia release on Kscope being listed on a couple of European online stores for release in late Sept. but no details on whether this is the rumoured blu-ray version. I hope so!

I introduced a friend who played drums to PT (Harrison) and SW (Marco) and he was blown away by what those guys were doing! I have not heard Wakerman, look forward to it!
post #134 of 153
Given that it hasn't yet been posted in this thread, here's the official trailer for the album:
post #135 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post

As sort of a follow-up, it looks like Steven isn't the only workaholic in the band. On top of touring in support of the The Raven (though Chad Wackermann is substituting in for many, if not all, shows), not only is Marco also touring in support of the Aristrocrat's new album, Culture Clash, but he also managed to put out another one together with Tony Levin and Jordan Rudess! That album is now up for pre-order in case anyone is interested. Then in his August 2013 News Update, Steven mentioned that he's already begun working on some new material that the band might play (???) when the The Raven tour restarts in October. Here's the exact quote:
Marcus, Thanks for heads up on the Levin-Minnermann-Rudess album, I am a huge fan of all three so I blindly pre-ordered the special edition, as the DVD includes 24-bit high-rez versions of the album I can transfer to my audio server.
post #136 of 153
Quote:
Marcus, Thanks for heads up on the Levin-Minnermann-Rudess album, I am a huge fan of all three so I blindly pre-ordered the special edition, as the DVD includes 24-bit high-rez versions of the album I can transfer to my audio server.

Good God Jonathan. At the risk of going a bit too off topic, I can only imagine how good LMR is going to sound on your Sanders ESL driven Martin Logans. I like how you too went the custom route on subwoofers. Having my HT consultant built mine was one the best decisions I ever made. I bet Wilson's Luminol sounds absolutely terrific in your HT room!

More on topic, I'm sure by now most everyone has heard that Sony Pictures recently released a trailer for "Pompeii" that features the title track from The Raven. In case you haven't seen it, I've included it below. The song begins around the 1:08 mark.
post #137 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post

Good God Jonathan. At the risk of going a bit too off topic, I can only imagine how good LMR is going to sound on your Sanders ESL driven Martin Logans. I like how you too went the custom route on subwoofers. Having my HT consultant built mine was one the best decisions I ever made. I bet Wilson's Luminol sounds absolutely terrific in your HT room!

More on topic, I'm sure by now most everyone has heard that Sony Pictures recently released a trailer for "Pompeii" that features the title track from The Raven. In case you haven't seen it, I've included it below. The song begins around the 1:08 mark.

...
Cool, more content to watch wink.gif

Yes, Luminol is absolutely astounding on my rig, one of my 'demo pieces'. That infinite baffle + all the room treatments let's me play fairly loud with very low distortion, which on that track lets me hear all the subtleties of the mix.

Cheers.
post #138 of 153
It was announced on September 3rd that The Raven that Refused To Sing (and other stories) was awarded 'Album of the Year’ at this year’s Progressive Music Awards. Click here for the list of this year's winners and here for Steven's post about his win.
post #139 of 153
There is a new Steven Wilson live blu-ray 'EP' coming in October featuring performances of his current Raven That Refused to Sing tour:

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/drive-home-bddvdcd-details-and-contents/
post #140 of 153
Yay I can relive the live version of Watchmaker over and over! Sorry for the love in but it was amazing in concert.

Also I've played Blackfield IV half a dozen times and like it. I do mostly play the 5.1 mix which is really nice. Is it as strong as Welcome to my DNA? Probably not.. Still good if you enjoy Aviv Geffen. Better in the SW surround mix.
post #141 of 153
Got the Blu-Ray the other day.

The Watchmaker brought a tear to my eye, I watched my late retired optical engineer and amateur
watch repairman grandpa toil over wathches, clocks, and church clocks for years.

LOVE IT!

Tip: When you search Amazon for BD Audio enter the "[Blu-Ray Audio]" query, quotation marks included, or else you will be
presented with a salad of all formats.
post #142 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

Got the Blu-Ray the other day.

The Watchmaker brought a tear to my eye, I watched my late retired optical engineer and amateur
watch repairman grandpa toil over wathches, clocks, and church clocks for years.

LOVE IT!

You should pick up one the deluxe edition hardback books and take the enjoyment of this album up to a whole new level. Though out of print, there are a half dozen or so copies for sale over on that popular auction site still at reasonable prices (no, mine are not among them). Sure you already own The Raven on blu-ray, but the deluxe edition contains additional tracks not found on any other release. Besides, it's one thing to remain transfixed on the changing images in the moon on your HDTV while enjoying the blu-ray, but it's another to be flipping through 128 pages of illustrations by longtime Wilson collaborator Hajo Mueller and to read the lyrics and ghost stories while listening to this award winning album in glorious 96kHz/24bit LPCM or DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. Generally speaking, I highly recommend Steven's limited edition books in order to enjoy his music in this unique and special way particularly during repeat listening sessions (no, I have none of his past titles for sale on that auction site either).
post #143 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post

You should pick up one the deluxe edition hardback books and take the enjoyment of this album up to a whole new level. Though out of print, there are a half dozen or so copies for sale over on that popular auction site still at reasonable prices (no, mine are not among them). Sure you already own The Raven on blu-ray, but the deluxe edition contains additional tracks not found on any other release. Besides, it's one thing to remain transfixed on the changing images in the moon on your HDTV while enjoying the blu-ray, but it's another to be flipping through 128 pages of illustrations by longtime Wilson collaborator Hajo Mueller and to read the lyrics and ghost stories while listening to this award winning album in glorious 96kHz/24bit LPCM or DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. Generally speaking, I highly recommend Steven's limited edition books in order to enjoy his music in this unique and special way particularly during repeat listening sessions (no, I have none of his past titles for sale on that auction site either).

Holy cow! Amazon Market has some good deals on it right now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00BG4R6Z6/ref=dp_olp_collectible?ie=UTF8&condition=collectible

Thank you for the tip.
post #144 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJau View Post

There is a new Steven Wilson live blu-ray 'EP' coming in October featuring performances of his current Raven That Refused to Sing tour:

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/drive-home-bddvdcd-details-and-contents/

Available for order on Amazon UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drive-Home-Blu-ray-Steven-Wilson/dp/B00EKVZWSK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378862190&sr=8-2&keywords=steven+wilson+drive+home
post #145 of 153
From Steven's HQ:
Quote:
‘Drive Home’ BD/DVD/CD details and contents:

Steven Wilson will release ‘Drive Home’ in both Blu-Ray/CD and DVD/CD combinations in October. ‘Drive Home’ consists of two Jess Cope directed videos for ‘Drive Home’ and ‘The Raven That Refused To Sing’ (the latter previously released online to widespread critical acclaim) and live footage filmed in Frankfurt on The Raven That Refused To Sing tour. Also included is ‘The Birthday Party’, a previously unreleased track taken from the recording sessions for The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories).

The full contents and artwork for both editions of ‘Drive Home’ can be seen below.

DVD/BD

Drive Home (video)
The Raven that Refused to Sing (video)
The Holy Drinker (live in Frankfurt)
Insurgentes (live in Frankfurt)
The Watchmaker (live in Frankfurt)
The Raven that Refused to Sing (live in Frankfurt)
The Birthday Party (audio only)
The Raven that Refused to Sing (orchestral mix – audio only)

CD

Drive Home (4.08 edit)
The Birthday Party
The Raven that Refused to Sing (orchestral mix)
The Holy Drinker (live in Frankfurt)
Insurgentes (live in Frankfurt)
The Watchmaker (live in Frankfurt)
The Raven that Refused to Sing (live in Frankfurt)



BD image from amazon.uk:



I was notified via facebook that they will also become available for pre-order sometime this week on burningshed.
post #146 of 153
Here's a promo clip teaser for "Drive Home" and its video for the track with the same name made by Jess Cope who also created the video for 'The Raven That Refused To Sing'. The clip and a write-up for the forthcoming release can be found on Kscope's Steven Wilson page.
post #147 of 153
Here is the brand new complete video for "Drive Home":
post #148 of 153
Steven just posted on his facebook page the addition of 15 minutes of new music into the set of the final leg of the tour. Can anyone from the Aussie leg confirm whether it was played there? If so, can you described what it sounded like? This news reminds me of the inclusion of "Luminol" during the Grace tour.
post #149 of 153
Nothing new in Melbourne show:

Set list:
Luminol
Drive Home
The Pin Drop
Postcard
The Holy Drinker
Deform To Form A Star
The Watchmaker (with Bass Communion video intro)
Index
Insurgentes
Harmony Korine
No Part Of Me
Raider II
The Raven That Refused To Sing

Encore:
Radioactive Toy
post #150 of 153
Steven's street team now has it's own exclusive content area on his official web page. If you sign up, there is exclusive concert video to watch of Postcard and Radioactive Toy filmed in Neu-Isenberg, Germany on March 23, 2013.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Steven Wilson band - The raven that refused to sing (and other stories)