or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › RedBox To Launch Streaming Video Service
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RedBox To Launch Streaming Video Service - Page 4

post #91 of 142
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I don't think that will ever happen on a cheap streaming plan either. But the streaming plan has two components, the really crappy stuff included in the $8 and the good stuff which is PPV. I was hoping the PPV prices would undercut other services at least a little considering redbox has the cheapest disc rentals already, maybe something in the $3-$4 range. I'm willing to pay a premium to save the hassle of a car trip, but not the $6 or more they're asking. If the PPV prices were lower than everyone else, that would really be a game changer. But offering a subscription to mostly crap and reaming you on PPV is nothing special. I have a hard time seeing their offerings pulling anyone away from Netflix.

It's really the content providers that are driving the PPV costs these days .. I'm positive if NF / RB / VUDU etc could offer $1.00 PPV new releases profitably, they would .. and it would also drive a big nail in the coffin of physical rentals ..
post #92 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

It's really the content providers that are driving the PPV costs these days .. I'm positive if NF / RB / VUDU etc could offer $1.00 PPV new releases profitably, they would .. and it would also drive a big nail in the coffin of physical rentals ..


I agree. However, for me personally, when it comes to blockbuster titles, despite the extra coin, I would still prefer to view them on Blu-Ray.



Ian wink.gif
post #93 of 142
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I agree. However, for me personally, when it comes to blockbuster titles, despite the extra coin, I would still prefer to view them on Blu-Ray.



Ian wink.gif

Who wouldn't .. ?? Especially AVS members ..
post #94 of 142
I canceled in time and they asked me to do a short survey. I noted the reasons and also under OTHER explained that I didn't care to watch on my computer or Android devices but my big screen TV and for that the app needs to be on the streaming players including my Sony BD player and though I have an addition Samsung BD player (C5500) it doesn't have the app yet either.
post #95 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Well sure enough, their business model based upon getting people's credit card numbers for a "free " trial worked in exactly the underhanded way they intended. I forgot to cancel and they charged me a month's subscription. Not only that, but they had the audacity to send me an email that my card was already charged instead of a notice saying that it would be charged the next day. Not a single email notification that the "free" trial was ending and that they would start charging for a service I never indicated wanting. Meanwhile they have sent multiple spam emails.

I know this isn't an uncommon business tactic but it is still based on dishonesty. We as consumers should not let it go uncriticized.
Well, I did try to remind you guys to cancel. I don't like the practice either, but they were very up front about it compared to most and made it pretty easy to cancel.
post #96 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

It's really the content providers that are driving the PPV costs these days .. I'm positive if NF / RB / VUDU etc could offer $1.00 PPV new releases profitably, they would .. and it would also drive a big nail in the coffin of physical rentals ..
Plus studio execs ought to love to get rid of the COG investment especially for "special" rental versions.
post #97 of 142
Thread Starter 
^^^ .. there are many other Free Trial offers that are much harder to cancel that RB was for me .. couple of clicks, that's it .. and I don't recall any free trial I've ever had that actually sent a reminder ..
post #98 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Who wouldn't .. ?? Especially AVS members ..



I must have forgot where I was when posting!



Ian biggrin.gif
post #99 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

It's really the content providers that are driving the PPV costs these days.

When did they not have control over licensed content?

In 1994 a PPV via DirecTV was $3.00 ($4.66 in today's dollar), it was in SD and at a scheduled time. They later changed to a 24 hour window but the high price remained (remains?). If the day should come when there is no physical rental then get prepared to pay even higher prices for rentals because content providers will be in TOTAL control. At least with physical we have First Sale Doctrine protection, there is no protection with licensed content.
post #100 of 142
Competition will drive PPV prices down. If studios are willing to provide discs that rent for $1 and $1.50 a night they will eventually see the sense in lower PPV prices. Again no COG which is very important when you are a content provider and looking at your spreadsheets. At some point execs may feel they are leaving money on the table by wanting too much for a rental. I think WB is particularly bad at that.
post #101 of 142

It is the video rental store/company that rents discs at those prices. Once they buy the discs for rental, those discs are the property of the rental company and they set the charge, not the studios. PPV requires contracts With the studios upfront-a ppv operator can't grab a DVD, upload it, and start renting streams Without permission, and agreements over how much the studios take will be from each rental or sale.. 

post #102 of 142
Ugh... was not paying attention to the date and got dinged for $8 for this crap. Went to the website wanting to leave a comment and what a joke. every movie on one page! I finally got down to the feed back and this is what I sent them:
Quote:
You asked for feed back, here is mine.
First, if you want to have any success you need to be on every platform, Roku and WD Live - I have both and that is the ONLY way I will watch content. I am not going to watch a movie on my 23" computer monitor let alone an 9" ipad. get with the program.

Second, your site is a disaster. You cannot load EVERY movie you offer on one page. I have a fast internet connection and it was terrible waiting for the page to load. I tried 5 times to click on 'Send Feedback" yet every time I got close to clicking more crappy movies showed up.

That leads me to my third comment -- your content is crap. There is little if anything I want to see. I feel duped trying the beta then without warning you charge my credit card for another month. This will be my last, and I will pass on very negative feed back to friends, family and on every blog and website I post on. A simple update indicating my month was up would have stopped much of my negative feelings about your product and service, but you have really raised my ire. I went from unimpressed to angry and vocal. You lost a customer for good. Bad move.

From my exposure to your service I have to say you are in no way ready to play in the big leagues, Netflix, Amazon and Vudu you are not.

Not sure they care, but got it off my chest. Set up an alert on my computer to cancel on 3-19 to avoid this again. I might use the 4 rentals so it's not a total waste.
post #103 of 142
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

When did they not have control over licensed content?

In 1994 a PPV via DirecTV was $3.00 ($4.66 in today's dollar), it was in SD and at a scheduled time. They later changed to a 24 hour window but the high price remained (remains?). If the day should come when there is no physical rental then get prepared to pay even higher prices for rentals because content providers will be in TOTAL control. At least with physical we have First Sale Doctrine protection, there is no protection with licensed content.

My comment is based on the discussion up to that point in the thread ..

And I believe you answered your own question .. First Sale takes content control out of the providers hands ..
post #104 of 142
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Competition will drive PPV prices down. If studios are willing to provide discs that rent for $1 and $1.50 a night they will eventually see the sense in lower PPV prices. Again no COG which is very important when you are a content provider and looking at your spreadsheets. At some point execs may feel they are leaving money on the table by wanting too much for a rental. I think WB is particularly bad at that.

You are assuming that the Master Plan does not include elimination of disks .. wink.gif
post #105 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Well sure enough, their business model based upon getting people's credit card numbers for a "free " trial worked in exactly the underhanded way they intended. I forgot to cancel and they charged me a month's subscription. Not only that, but they had the audacity to send me an email that my card was already charged instead of a notice saying that it would be charged the next day. Not a single email notification that the "free" trial was ending and that they would start charging for a service I never indicated wanting. Meanwhile they have sent multiple spam emails.

I know this isn't an uncommon business tactic but it is still based on dishonesty. We as consumers should not let it go uncriticized.


I am sorry, but I can't agree with you. You knew this when you signed up and you indicated it was understood. It was made clear that the trial ended on xx date and your card would be charged if you did not cancel. Were you expecting an email saying "your trial is up, would you like us to bill your card tomorrow?" I sympathize if you forgot and I can appreciate maybe some companies could give a pro rated refund, however I give RB more leeway given the credits they give you when your card is charged- what if you used all of those, howmuch should the refund be?
post #106 of 142
I cannot find any news as to when the apps will start showing up on set top devices (Xbox, Roku, Tivo, etc.). Any good source out there?


I, for one, believe they have the best business model so far: discs through the kiosks, streaming rentals, ultraviolet locker and streaming subscription. As someone else indicated, it would be great to see them buy (and rename) the Blockbuster by mail service; if you have read any of the comments from Charlie Ergen (Dish CEO), it is clear he sees the only asset from the BB deal was their B&M locations that could be turned into something else.
Edited by larrimore - 2/26/13 at 7:51am
post #107 of 142
According to THIS, it already works on Xbox and most Samsung TVs, Bluray players and Home Theater in a Box.

THIS appears to be the list of potential devices. If you sign up at that link, they will notify you when the requested devices are supported.
Edited by mdavej - 2/26/13 at 10:19pm
post #108 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Competition will drive PPV prices down.

Been hearing that for 20 years, has happened yet.
post #109 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Been hearing that for 20 years, has happened yet.
I'll second that.
post #110 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Been hearing that for 20 years, has happened yet.
For the last 20 years we didn't have the economic conditions we have now.
post #111 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

For the last 20 years we didn't have the economic conditions we have now.

The cost of content has been on a constant rise, cost of cable & satellite has been on a constant rise, etc. I fully expect PPV cost to rise, not decline. You can bet Netflix would love/have too raise their streaming rates but they tremble at the thought because of the backlash they would receive. At some point they will not have a choice, raise the rates or go under.

There is a conflict as far as economic conditions are concerned. Folks keep saying how bad the economic conditions are yet the public restaruants are full ever evening, folks continue to speed on the highway even tho gasoline is almost $4.00 a gallon, all family members have a smart phone, etc., etc., so something is not adding up.
post #112 of 142
Ok, can anyone tell me how to use my 4 free credits? I want to use them up before I cancel and can find nowhere to add them in when I reserve a movie on the redbox site.
post #113 of 142
Just pick use credits at the box. Can't do it online. It knows your account by credit card number.
post #114 of 142
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Ok, can anyone tell me how to use my 4 free credits? I want to use them up before I cancel and can find nowhere to add them in when I reserve a movie on the redbox site.

If you are signed in to your account, the option to use credits should appear .. if it does not, then you should call RedBox ..
post #115 of 142
I may be the only person enjoying Redbox Instant, but now that it is on my Xbox, that is the fact. It may never be a Netflix killer, but I am convinced it will give them a run for their money. The content seems to grow daily and there is plenty out there now, at about the quality level that NF has (I am talking material quality, not video and audio yet).

What I am encouraged by is their multi format approach. They do Blu rays and DVDs at the kiosks and they are continuing to add them so they will not likely abandon them at the drop of a hat like it appears Netflix might. Additionally, they offer subscription streaming ala NF and Amazon, Hulu Plus, etc. as well as rentals and purchases of digital content like Amazon and Vudu. And, like Vudu, CinemaNow and others, they have joined the digital alliance and should be linked to Ultraviolet in the near future.

So, theoretically at least, they should be able to be much closer to a one stop shop than any of their competition. Their only content weakness IMHO is back catalog discs which NF has. As I said earlier, if they bought up Blockbuster's by mail operations from Dish, they'd be there too.

As far as quality goes, they are not up to Vudu HDX standards yet, but the HD they have looks about as good as Netflix to me (I do not get NF SuperHD, like most people). I hope they prove to be worthy competition; and if I had to bet I believe they will.
post #116 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

I may be the only person enjoying Redbox Instant, but now that it is on my Xbox, that is the fact. It may never be a Netflix killer, but I am convinced it will give them a run for their money. The content seems to grow daily and there is plenty out there now, at about the quality level that NF has (I am talking material quality, not video and audio yet).

What I am encouraged by is their multi format approach. They do Blu rays and DVDs at the kiosks and they are continuing to add them so they will not likely abandon them at the drop of a hat like it appears Netflix might. Additionally, they offer subscription streaming ala NF and Amazon, Hulu Plus, etc. as well as rentals and purchases of digital content like Amazon and Vudu. And, like Vudu, CinemaNow and others, they have joined the digital alliance and should be linked to Ultraviolet in the near future.

So, theoretically at least, they should be able to be much closer to a one stop shop than any of their competition. Their only content weakness IMHO is back catalog discs which NF has. As I said earlier, if they bought up Blockbuster's by mail operations from Dish, they'd be there too.

As far as quality goes, they are not up to Vudu HDX standards yet, but the HD they have looks about as good as Netflix to me (I do not get NF SuperHD, like most people). I hope they prove to be worthy competition; and if I had to bet I believe they will.
They have two problems to surmount. One is Verizon 65% interest in the streaming venture. I don't think Verizon is in it for the long haul and if they don't see big money within 3 years..... The second problem is the competition streaming is crowded already and bandwidth is not as plentiful as it was,especially during prime time. Between Netflix, (Walmart) VUDU, and Amazon you have very deep pockets. Amazon is willing to lose money to get what it wants.
Redbox is going to be happy they have those Kiosks for a very long time. There is going to be war in the streaming arena.
post #117 of 142
I checked the site yesterday and saw they have added some more Samsung BD players. Looks like they're working backward by years. I have a C5500 and they have an app for D5500. I ran the C5500 for updates but the app isn't there yet. I also have set up an email notification for when they release an app for my Sony BD player.

I also noticed that "Flight", which is a recent release, is now available streaming. There may be a few other titles but I know that "Flight", having rented it on BD from Redbox is recent.
post #118 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post


I also noticed that "Flight", which is a recent release, is now available streaming. There may be a few other titles but I know that "Flight", having rented it on BD from Redbox is recent.

Flight is a PPV on Redbox right now, it is not part of the monthly streaming.

What shows up on their home page is this-

The Envelope:Flight

Los Angeles Times The Envelope Screening Series, in Association with EPIX - The cast and crew of Flight sit down with the LA Times to talk about their roles in the film. They also talked about researching their roles and the challenges they faced. In HD.

Not the movie
Edited by boo - 3/22/13 at 4:55am
post #119 of 142
Does it stream in 5.1 from the xbox?
post #120 of 142
Now that Redbox Instant has gone live the selections have increased immensely though pretty much the same films Netflix has. But then that might work for some folks who also rent discs at RB.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › RedBox To Launch Streaming Video Service