or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › WIFE GAVE APPROVAL AND MONEY DOESN'T MATTER!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WIFE GAVE APPROVAL AND MONEY DOESN'T MATTER!!!

post #1 of 91
Thread Starter 
alright fellow bass addicts, need a new subwoofer or two, so put on the boxing gloves! briefly about me, i grew up in car audio loving extreme bass while still having balanced sound. now that i'm "grown up", i'm getting addicted to home audio. i'm a contractor by profession, so i have the means to make just about anything happen. and i've just built my own personal house with a dedicated home theater, so i'm looking for advice. keep in mind that the room will be used 100% for movies, 0% for music.
now about the room...19' deep, 13' wide, and 8' tall in a basement. i let everyone who doesn't care talk me into a drop ceiling for the entire basement (including the theater), but that just isn't gonna work. the bass is history, and now, so is the drop ceiling. i'm about to rip it down, frame it in, and finish it out with drywall like i tried to do (and should have done) at the start. seating is 3 wide along the back wall and 3 wide about 6' off the back wall. projector is panny pt-ae7000u and screen is 92" fixed frame on the front wall. in-wall speakers are polk audio's upper end lc series. using pre-outs of denon 3311 receiver with sonance 875d amp to provide power to them. oppo bdp-93 blu ray player. concrete floor covered with a movie reel carpet that my wife picked out.
when i say money doesn't matter, keep in mind that i can afford nearly anything that you can imagine, but by nature i'm tight with my money so i'd like the best bang for my buck, preferably $3k or less. diy is out of the question...i build stuff all day every day. the last thing i want to do is come home and build stuff for my theater. i'd rather spend that time with my new 3-month old little man! i like DEEP bass that will vibrate my filling's loose and massage my wife's posterior! clarity is a must also.
as i type this, the wife is watching polar express and talking about how she wants to get in the theater room and enjoy the show, so i'm itching to pull the trigger on a sub setup. anyone and everyone chime in...GO!
post #2 of 91
I would call Brian over at Rythmik. I just ordered a FV15HP and it should get here the 29th.... After a year of reading countless threads and doing way too much reading, the Rythmik was the best all around subwoofer for my budget and application. You can probably pick up two for around $3k. HSU VTF15 was also in the running and they are only $1k, two or three of those beasts and I am sure you would be happy. I am replacing a SVS sub with the Rythmik, SVS makes killer subs also but I wanted to try something a little different.
post #3 of 91
A pair of Rhythmik FV15HP, or 2 Danley DTS-10. The latter would have gobs more output, but is a lot larger.
post #4 of 91
Without WAP to contend with at all, I would head straight for JTR, Seaton, or Danley. I would be taking a hard look at the JTR Captivator series. Rythmik, Hsu, Power Sound Audio, and SVS are good too, but they are compromised somewhat to in order to have some WAF.
post #5 of 91
I would also consider the JTR Orbit Shifter.

The OP should peruse the Kansas City Blind Subwoofer Shootout listened to the JTR Orbital Shifter, JTR Captivator, and Seaton Sound Submersive.
Edited by jhan1000 - 12/14/12 at 5:49am
post #6 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg963 View Post

...so i'm itching to pull the trigger on a sub setup. anyone and everyone chime in...GO!

Your above presents a unique flavor to this oft asked question. How important are looks? If looks are important, I go Left, if the sub is going be out in the open and you don't care what it looks like and all you care about is bass, then I go right. In the end, budget becomes your limiting factor.

Final question, in your room dimensions, is the room an enclosed room or does it open up to another space? Very important aspect of the equation as are you pressurizing 2,000 cu ft or are you pressurizing the described room plus another space at the other end of the basement.

Basic choices to your above, purchased as a pair, would be, in no particular order:

SVS PB13 Ultra

PSA XV30

SubMersive F2

JTR Captivator S1

Funk Audio, 18.1

Rythmik FV15HP

The list is not complete, comprehensive or inclusive of all your finite needs. The intent of the list is not to limit your choices or leave any other possibilities off the table as there are many not mentioned (I'm sure others will mention) in your price range and expectations. The point of the list is to put some of the best recommendations into your Home Theater room and no matter which of the above pairs you choose, you'll be running with the Big Dogs and your dreams of soul filling bass will expectedly be met with zero chance of disappointment.

Hope the above helps get you started on your quest to find the best for your needs.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 12/14/12 at 5:56am
post #7 of 91
I've thought for awhile now that the best deal in ID subwoofers is the Cap Sealed 2 from JTR. For 3000 you get twice the output of a Seaton Submersive for only 500 dollars more than a single Submersive, and you get the same or very similar sound quality.

That said, an Orbit Shifter is also 3000 and has twice the ouput of the Cap 2 sealed above 20hz - however it has half the output of a Cap 2 Sealed below 20hz. I have heard both and prefer the sound quality of the Cap Sealed, but it's real close.

BTW I own dual Submersives and love them.
post #8 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I've thought for awhile now that the best deal in ID subwoofers is the Cap Sealed 2 from JTR. For 3000 you get twice the output of a Seaton Submersive for only 500 dollars more than a single Submersive, and you get the same or very similar sound quality.
That said, an Orbit Shifter is also 3000 and has twice the ouput of the Cap 2 sealed above 20hz - however it has half the output of a Cap 2 Sealed below 20hz. I have heard both and prefer the sound quality of the Cap Sealed, but it's real close.
BTW I own dual Submersives and love them.

All of your above are excellent suggestions but they're in singles as opposed to pairs; smoothing of bass; nulls. Just asking. How would a single sub of your mentioned quality do in a room regarding nulls?
post #9 of 91
Be aware! With out a budget and no waf............your wife is planning on something big for her. Nothing comes free in this world haha. Good luck on the sub choice and enjoy them. Let everybody know what you end up going with. If I did not have a budget I would go with the submersives or caps.
post #10 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

All of your above are excellent suggestions but they're in singles as opposed to pairs; smoothing of bass; nulls. Just asking. How would a single sub of your mentioned quality do in a room regarding nulls?

I agree and would def get two subs.
post #11 of 91
It depends of the room guys. For the past few months I've had my Submersives stacked in the same corner because I like the extra headroom and the frequency response at my main LP isn't bad and no one else cares that would sit in the other seats.

I've only had the Omnimic for a week and only got a chance to play with it for a couple of hours but I'm pretty happy so far with the sound at the main LP.


post #12 of 91
I was never happy with the "lower" (please don't take offense at that term) level subs in my room. It wasn't until I had a Captivator and then Submersive in my room that I was satisfied with the quality of the bass even at lower volumes (85 db's for music listening for example).
post #13 of 91
Sweet! Add a DSPeaker, Anti-Mode, 8033S II into the stream and you'll be even happier. tongue.gif

Just saying, considering how often nulls and modes are discussed, how lucky are the rest of us expected to be regarding flatness of response? I'm with you on stepping up the quality level of subwoofer choices. Having the vaunted wife approval, looking to Funk Audio as our room solution of choice.
post #14 of 91
Funk Audio can build whatever you'd like:

http://www.funkaudio.ca/Custom_Speakers_3.html

How about a dual 18" TSAD in whatever finish tickles your fancy?
post #15 of 91
For everyone who has listened to these subs, almost all of them agree that the Captivator and Submersive are the way to go. Start with one, add another. Go passive and power with a pro amp. I seriously doubt you will have regrets with either of these, whereas with the others, you might.
post #16 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

For everyone who has listened to these subs, almost all of them agree that the Captivator and Submersive are the way to go. Start with one, add another. Go passive and power with a pro amp. I seriously doubt you will have regrets with either of these, whereas with the others, you might.

You might have regrets with Funk Audio choices? :eek

In the end, I think we'd all agree, it's all about the Benjamins.
post #17 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Be aware! With out a budget and no waf............your wife is planning on something big for her. Nothing comes free in this world haha. Good luck on the sub choice and enjoy them. Let everybody know what you end up going with. If I did not have a budget I would go with the submersives or caps.

hahaha! her something big has already come! as in her $22k wedding ring, her $45k new suv, a 6500 sqft new house that she got to help design, decorate, and furnish, her $10k dining room set that she couldn't live without, etc. etc. i've made it a little tough for her to argue about anything i do for a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Your above presents a unique flavor to this oft asked question. How important are looks? If looks are important, I go Left, if the sub is going be out in the open and you don't care what it looks like and all you care about is bass, then I go right. In the end, budget becomes your limiting factor.
Final question, in your room dimensions, is the room an enclosed room or does it open up to another space? Very important aspect of the equation as are you pressurizing 2,000 cu ft or are you pressurizing the described room plus another space at the other end of the basement.
Basic choices to your above, purchased as a pair, would be, in no particular order:
SVS PB13 Ultra
PSA XV30
SubMersive F2
JTR Captivator S1
Funk Audio, 18.1
Rythmik FV15HP
The list is not complete, comprehensive or inclusive of all your finite needs. The intent of the list is not to limit your choices or leave any other possibilities off the table as there are many not mentioned (I'm sure others will mention) in your price range and expectations. The point of the list is to put some of the best recommendations into your Home Theater room and no matter which of the above pairs you choose, you'll be running with the Big Dogs and your dreams of soul filling bass will expectedly be met with zero chance of disappointment.
Hope the above helps get you started on your quest to find the best for your needs.
-

Looks are important, but not the key deciding factor. the finished room will be sealed off from the rest of the house, so i will be pressurizing 2000cuft. thanks for the recommendations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Without WAP to contend with at all, I would head straight for JTR, Seaton, or Danley. I would be taking a hard look at the JTR Captivator series. Rythmik, Hsu, Power Sound Audio, and SVS are good too, but they are compromised somewhat to in order to have some WAF.

never really considered the seaton, but it looks pretty amazing. never heard of danley, i'll check into that too. was considering a couple rythmiks. how would the output of one submersive compare to the output of two rythmiks? keep in mind, it's only 2000 cuft. thanks for all of the replies!
Edited by bmg963 - 12/14/12 at 10:54am
post #18 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

You might have regrets with Funk Audio choices? :eek
In the end, I think we'd all agree, it's all about the Benjamins.

I have never really seen any of the Funk subs compared directly to the others. Funk Audio does have, IMHO, the nicest looking enclosure out there, but I don't think any Funk sub could touch an Orbit Shifter.
post #19 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I have never really seen any of the Funk subs compared directly to the others. Funk Audio does have, IMHO, the nicest looking enclosure out there, but I don't think any Funk sub could touch an Orbit Shifter.

As I posted, it's all about the Benjamins; price and looks of an orbit shifter vs price and looks of a Funk Audio subwoofer vs price and looks of a Hsu, ULS-15.

So, just asking, what about a Funk Audio product can one expect to bring disappointment? I ask because of the two, Seaton and Funk, looks/performance (at this level, price got thrown out the window) I've settled on a pair of Funks.
post #20 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

All of your above are excellent suggestions but they're in singles as opposed to pairs; smoothing of bass; nulls. Just asking. How would a single sub of your mentioned quality do in a room regarding nulls?

A Captivator would have so much output that probably wouldn't be a concern for any normal sized room. Even a 10 dB dip wouldn't be a big deal when you have an average of 120 dB available headroom. It's like putting yourself in a coat closet with a PB13 Ultra; yeah, EQing dips in there isn't optimal but you have so much SPL on tap at every frequency that it doesn't matter.
post #21 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I've thought for awhile now that the best deal in ID subwoofers is the Cap Sealed 2 from JTR. For 3000 you get twice the output of a Seaton Submersive for only 500 dollars more than a single Submersive, and you get the same or very similar sound quality.
That said, an Orbit Shifter is also 3000 and has twice the ouput of the Cap 2 sealed above 20hz - however it has half the output of a Cap 2 Sealed below 20hz. I have heard both and prefer the sound quality of the Cap Sealed, but it's real close.
BTW I own dual Submersives and love them.

the more i look at submersives, the more i like! nice and compact and amazing reviews! cap is a bit bigger, but not too big. orbit shifter is definitely too big!
post #22 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

A Captivator would have so much output that probably wouldn't be a concern for any normal sized room. Even a 10 dB dip wouldn't be a big deal when you have an average of 120 dB available headroom. It's like putting yourself in a coat closet with a PB13 Ultra; yeah, EQing dips in there isn't optimal but you have so much SPL on tap at every frequency that it doesn't matter.

LOL

Love it.

Full speed ahead baby as we're simply going power through those nulls.

LOL

(good point)

LOL

Nulls, I'll show you what I think of your nulls.

biggrin.gif

(Love your point but one has to admit, 10dB is a lot of null cancellation energy and can be a bit hard on the sensitivity of one's hearing)

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 12/14/12 at 6:49am
post #23 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I was never happy with the "lower" (please don't take offense at that term) level subs in my room. It wasn't until I had a Captivator and then Submersive in my room that I was satisfied with the quality of the bass even at lower volumes (85 db's for music listening for example).

very insightful. my wife (and sometimes me too) wouldn't want to listen to movies at an extremely loud volume, so thanks for that response!
post #24 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg963 View Post

Looks are important,....

A pair of these will meet the above expectation. IIRC, the finish is Mahogany Crotch. Note the aluminum top.

post #25 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

As I posted, it's all about the Benjamins; price and looks of an orbit shifter vs price and looks of a Funk Audio subwoofer vs price and looks of a Hsu, ULS-15.
So, just asking, what about a Funk Audio product can one expect to bring disappointment? I ask because of the two, Seaton and Funk, looks/performance (at this level, price got thrown out the window) I've settled on a pair of Funks.

out of curiosity, have you actually heard any of the subs you're discussing?
post #26 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Kompany View Post

out of curiosity, have you actually heard any of the subs you're discussing?

Nope. Not a one. Understanding the gist of your question, have I made any errors in my judgement calls?
post #27 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

A pair of these will meet the above expectation. IIRC, the finish is Mahogany Crotch. Note the aluminum

Isn't a pair of those just under $8K shipped??
post #28 of 91
Let's see. No WAF and money not a problem? I have one question:

Does she have a sister? tongue.gif
post #29 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Isn't a pair of those just under $8K shipped??

That depends, how nice were you on the phone when you put the order in? tongue.gif

(Yes)

Not sure of the point of your question. My response took this comment by the OP into consideration:

Quote:
"hahaha! her something big has already come! as in her $22k wedding ring, her $45k new suv, a 6500 sqft new house that she got to help design, decorate, and furnish, her $10k dining room set that she couldn't live without, etc. etc. i've made it a little tough for her to argue about anything i do for a while!"

Benjamins is all relative and now it's time for daddy to get some toys of his choosing.
post #30 of 91
bmg',


Given the above, two-four of the following will do nicely:

If space is an issue: SVS PC 12-Plus

If it’s not an issue then:
HSU VTF-15H
Rythmik Audio FV15HP
SubMersive F2

If the architecture allows for a more finished look, cut and finish in-wall cubbies for the subs (allowing enough space around the cabinets to provide good air circulation for the amps).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › WIFE GAVE APPROVAL AND MONEY DOESN'T MATTER!!!