or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › Frohlich's new home theater (his man cave and her not so man cave)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Frohlich's new home theater (his man cave and her not so man cave) - Page 4

post #91 of 153
I don't know why you think you're done.. You do not have Height and Wide Channels speakers.. So your theater is still incomplete.
Edited by kevon27 - 2/4/13 at 9:59am
post #92 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post

I don't know why you think you're done.. You do not have Height and Wide Channels speakers.. So your theater is still incomplete.

Oh, way to wave alcohol in front of an alcoholic tongue.gif

I actually had wides in my previous set-up (room) and while they were fine, they weren’t that impactful in my opinion. I actually had turned them off one weekend to see if I liked it more or less and all I can say is it was different (turning off the wides). Almost seemed like the soundfiled became more focused again….in a good way. So when I built this room I could have easily wired for heights, for example, but chose not to. Just went with the traditional 7.1 set-up.

If I had to list out some things I would consider buying in the next 12-24 months they would be
1)new pre-pro like AV8801 with XT32 but I think HDMI 2.0 is right around the corner so I will likely wait a while
2)the JTR Noesis..not because I don’t love my current set-up…but because they are the new shinny toy from JTR. Again, I am in no hurry whatsoever and am very happy with my new set-up. Something to think about next Christmas smile.gif
post #93 of 153
We may be related. I love the vacuum cleaner marks on the carpeting. VERY VERY VERY nice room. VERY !!!
post #94 of 153
The upgrade bug buries itself deep in the bone marrow and is very difficult to extract. I think we will see two Noesis (Plural: Noeses?) In your setup quite soon. (Hopefully, not followed by an attempt on your life by the wife). Ah yes, HDMI 2.0.....lets hope it has a new revision of HDCP that doesn't give my video gear seizures. Everytime I witness a handshake flash, I want to hold my equipment and tell it that everything will be ok.
post #95 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

The upgrade bug buries itself deep in the bone marrow and is very difficult to extract. I think we will see two Noesis (Plural: Noeses?) In your setup quite soon. (Hopefully, not followed by an attempt on your life by the wife). Ah yes, HDMI 2.0.....lets hope it has a new revision of HDCP that doesn't give my video gear seizures. Everytime I witness a handshake flash, I want to hold my equipment and tell it that everything will be ok.

Christmas bonus was spent largely on daddy’s HT toys and mommy's Pottery Barn addiction. Stock option pay out in Spring is going towards kids braces (times 2), family vacation, two golf trips that I have planned…you get the picture. Hard to justify yet another upgrade..not saying it won’t happen as I buy on impulse as much as the next HT addict…. but hard to justify at this point wink.gif
post #96 of 153
Where are you planning to tee up?
post #97 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Christmas bonus was spent largely on daddy’s HT toys and mommy's Pottery Barn addiction. Stock option pay out in Spring is going towards kids braces (times 2), family vacation, two golf trips that I have planned…you get the picture. Hard to justify yet another upgrade..not saying it won’t happen as I buy on impulse as much as the next HT addict…. but hard to justify at this point wink.gif

I completely understand. It’s difficult to justify any type of upgrade when there are other more important (based on familial consensus) things to do. Especially since you just had a huge upgrade. I remember your old setup with the in-wall speakers, and this is really a big upgrade. What’s awesome is, you already had great components, so you didn’t need to invest in new Pre/Pro or amp. Maybe you can walk around with bug spray, so when you feel that bug biting…….zap it!
post #98 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

Where are you planning to tee up?

One trip to Michigan in August is booked. My brother in law turns 40 and my two brother's in law, my father in law and I are going for a 5 day golf weekend. The other one will be in May with several co-workers but we haven't made reservations yet. Talking about heading down to Tennesse to play around Crossville.
post #99 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

One trip to Michigan in August is booked. My brother in law turns 40 and my two brother's in law, my father in law and I are going for a 5 day golf weekend. The other one will be in May with several co-workers but we haven't made reservations yet. Talking about heading down to Tennesse to play around Crossville.

If you need an extra for your Crossville trip, let me know! I am only 45 minutes away from there:D.
post #100 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

If you need an extra for your Crossville trip, let me know! I am only 45 minutes away from there:D.

Sounds good Jeff. Lets stay in touch and perhaps we can work something out schedule wise. We can declare JTR speaker mulligans and leave my friends in the dust smile.gif
post #101 of 153
Sounds like a plan!
post #102 of 153
nice layout all around. Can you tell me where did you get the bar stools? I have a 4x9 bar but need stools.. thanks
post #103 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

nice layout all around. Can you tell me where did you get the bar stools? I have a 4x9 bar but need stools.. thanks

My wife bought them. If I had to guess I would say Pottery Barn as that is where she buys everything else mad.gifsmile.gif
post #104 of 153
Just read through the thread. Awesome setup. They are some very impressive speakers.

In relation to the black level of the HW50, and the black bars on 2.35:1 content, have you thought about a masking system? It will make a lot of difference.
post #105 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

Just read through the thread. Awesome setup. They are some very impressive speakers.

In relation to the black level of the HW50, and the black bars on 2.35:1 content, have you thought about a masking system? It will make a lot of difference.

To be honest I have never looked into a masking system. Might be someething I have to research this year and see if it makes sense.
post #106 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

To be honest I have never looked into a masking system. Might be someething I have to research this year and see if it makes sense.

A masking system (or even masking panels) will definitely improve the perceived contrast --- very significantly!
post #107 of 153
What color paint did you use in your theater?
post #108 of 153
I must say.....you have got a very nice room there!! Those speakers look intimidating! Really like the cleanliness, nice job!
post #109 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier240 View Post

What color paint did you use in your theater?

I don't remember the official name. It is a mixture of a darker blue and grey from Porter Paint. I would say in person it is a little darker than the pictures show. I didn't want to go too dark as it is a daily home media room that wanted to feel open and inviting. Realizing that with a project screen, darker walls are better to get less reflections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

A masking system (or even masking panels) will definitely improve the perceived contrast --- very significantly!

I have read that. I will need to do some research and see if it something I want to get into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

I must say.....you have got a very nice room there!! Those speakers look intimidating! Really like the cleanliness, nice job!

Thanks. Symmetry and clean lines was one of my goals when I was designing it.
post #110 of 153
isht, I need a bigger house, loving the basement
and your kitchen is beautiful.
rock on.
post #111 of 153
What a great space. That's just type of space I'm looking to set up in my next house. Very clean. It must look and sound incredible
Edited by jnnt29 - 2/19/13 at 5:44am
post #112 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

What a great space. That just type of space I'm looking to set up in my next house. Very clean. It must look and sound incredible

Thank you for the kind words. When I designed the space I was going for the family friendly media room look and not the dedicated movie room look. Wanted to make sure family/friends could come over and enjoy a game or watch a movie and something I could use on a daily basis and it was "comfortable".
post #113 of 153
This is an AMAZING setup! cool.gif Great Job!
Looking at the dual S2 up front and the rest of the JTR setup reminds me of the ole Maxell commercial biggrin.gif

Again nicely done!



Claude
post #114 of 153
This is the second time visiting your thread and looking at your room. It looks just as tough as it did the first time!! I bet the sound is just all up in your face! I am really diggin those speakers, I've gone to there website and checked them out. Just alittle above my pay scale though. How do they sound? Can they get all soft and delicate on you?
post #115 of 153
Looks to me like you might have a bit more room on top of your L + R for a couple of smaller subs! eek.gif

For OCD/Anal Audiophiles, There is ALWAYS another "upgrade" in our future
post #116 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

This is an AMAZING setup! cool.gif Great Job!
Looking at the dual S2 up front and the rest of the JTR setup reminds me of the ole Maxell commercial biggrin.gif

Again nicely done!



Claude

Thank you for the kind words. I think that Maxell add inspired us all smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

This is the second time visiting your thread and looking at your room. It looks just as tough as it did the first time!! I bet the sound is just all up in your face! I am really diggin those speakers, I've gone to there website and checked them out. Just alittle above my pay scale though. How do they sound? Can they get all soft and delicate on you?

I consider JTR speakers to be very accurate. Though they are physically large, they use BMS drivers and have a well designed crossover. To me, they sound great at lower levels as well as when they turned up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Looks to me like you might have a bit more room on top of your L + R for a couple of smaller subs! eek.gif

For OCD/Anal Audiophiles, There is ALWAYS another "upgrade" in our future

I have seen you dispense your HT crack...I am on to you sir!!!! biggrin.gif I can already make the glasses in the kitchen dance...I'm talking get down and boogie!!!! So I don't think additional subs are in the pipeline. Perhaps a new pre/pro to replace my Marantz but I am waiting for HDMI 2.0 to make it to market before I make any more upgrades.
post #117 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Alright, my second S2 arrived this morning and is in place. I am done now for a while...that is my story and I am sticking to it smile.gif



Just looked at your set up again since you finally came to your senses and got the other S2. biggrin.gif Now that looks much better. Fantastic looking room sir...I bet the sound is outstanding !!!
post #118 of 153
Great room. Let me know if you ever have a meet, I would gladly make the drive from Cleveland to listen to that setup. I may be down that way soon, Cinci is the only place in the state that has an Aerial dealer. OH.....
post #119 of 153
IO.....
post #120 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

IO.....

Hey, we won the Spring game. IO!!!!! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

Great room. Let me know if you ever have a meet, I would gladly make the drive from Cleveland to listen to that setup. I may be down that way soon, Cinci is the only place in the state that has an Aerial dealer. OH.....

I have never thought about having a meet but definetly will have some get togethers in the fall to watch the bucks play. Aerial dealer....is that Audible elegance? Great equipment, horrible owner. He actually is hardly there anymore as I believe he moved to California but still owns the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post

Just looked at your set up again since you finally came to your senses and got the other S2. biggrin.gif Now that looks much better. Fantastic looking room sir...I bet the sound is outstanding !!!

Thank you for the kind comments. The second S2 was 50% for performance and 50% to give it a symmetrical look.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › Frohlich's new home theater (his man cave and her not so man cave)