or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 2013 Formula 1 in HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2013 Formula 1 in HD - Page 29  

post #841 of 4793
Based on looks I like the F50 the most of the F series but the 288 GTO is probably my favorite Ferrari. smile.gif
I should revise that. Between the F40, F50 and Enzo.
post #842 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

WOW!
Have you seen the Enzo replacement? LaFerrari

KERS and more power than their F1 car. Getting insane.


Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post


I remember that.
Funny, stupid, and sad....all at the same time.rolleyes.gif

I remember people walking up and down the road looking for parts for a while.

There's money in
post #843 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

IMO, the most "beautiful" car is the Aston Martin Vanquish.

There, I fixed it for you! biggrin.gif

post #844 of 4793
I have been a f1 fan for over 50 years, going back to the days that car mags were about the only way to follow it. Now it comes in HD with DD. Got me to wondering what everyone thinks sounds the best f1 or NASCAR. I think its NASCAR .
Edited by Phil17108 - 3/29/13 at 8:21am
post #845 of 4793
Im getting deja vu. smile.gif Is someone going to post the Miura now?
post #846 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

I have been a f1 fan for over 50 years, going back to the days that car mags were about the only way to follow it.now it comes in HD with DD. Got me to wondering what everyone thinks soundsthr best f1 or NASCAR. I think its NASCAR .o
Run for cover! smile.gif
post #847 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Hence the magic. smile.gif No, seriously, I dont understand what your post even means but it is misleading. They have 16 Constructors titles which is more than any other team and 219 race wins which is more than any other team. Ferrari does not dominate F1 for wins but they are definitely the winningest team. The Schumacher era is obviously helpful but even without it they are more successful than any other team. That is undisputable. And if you want to remove their dominance with Schumacher then lets remove McLarens short lived dominance and remove Williams short lived dominance and see how that works out. Then no other team would even be close to Ferrari.
To really understand the Ferrari "magic" you need to know the history and not just look at the stats on Wikipedia. The fact that EVERY driver wants to drive for Ferrari before they retire is enough proof for me.

What you're doing is being a fan. Nothing wrong with that, and that is actually where the magic is - the emotion of their (Ferrari) fans.

But in being a fan, you shouldn't rewrite history. As far as I can tell, Williams has more constructors titles than Ferrari in the same time period. The reason people have historically chided Ferrari is their seeming advantage over other teams - they should win more. During The Schumi era they had for all intents and purposes, their own dedicated tire manufacturer. They had several hundred extra tires available at times, to be used at their own private test track. They broke testing agreements because they could. The list goes on.

You use "fact" and "proof" in the same sentence, making an absolute statement that's obviously absurd. Not every driver wants to drive for Ferrari. What could be said is that many top drivers would like to. But if you look at their history, much of their success has been due to Lauda and Schumi. The word at the time was that it took someone like Lauda to whip them into shape - get past the internal politics and get to winning. My guess would be that, along with their obvious resource advantage, top drivers want to try their hand at riding the stallion - it's a great challenge, not a gimme at all. Where would they have been last season if not for Alonso?

My turn to be a fan smile.gif No matter the numbers, Lauda is my guy. Here's a nice article on him and Ferrari.
post #848 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

What you're doing is being a fan. Nothing wrong with that, and that is actually where the magic is - the emotion of their (Ferrari) fans.

But in being a fan, you shouldn't rewrite history. As far as I can tell, Williams has more constructors titles than Ferrari in the same time period. The reason people have historically chided Ferrari is their seeming advantage over other teams - they should win more. During The Schumi era they had for all intents and purposes, their own dedicated tire manufacturer. They had several hundred extra tires available at times, to be used at their own private test track. They broke testing agreements because they could. The list goes on.

You use "fact" and "proof" in the same sentence, making an absolute statement that's obviously absurd. Not every driver wants to drive for Ferrari. What could be said is that many top drivers would like to. But if you look at their history, much of their success has been due to Lauda and Schumi. The word at the time was that it took someone like Lauda to whip them into shape - get past the internal politics and get to winning. My guess would be that, along with their obvious resource advantage, top drivers want to try their hand at riding the stallion - it's a great challenge, not a gimme at all. Where would they have been last season if not for Alonso?

My turn to be a fan smile.gif No matter the numbers, Lauda is my guy. Here's a nice article on him and Ferrari.
An intelligent and well thought out post. I dont agree with all of it but I do appreciate it. smile.gif
Ohh..And nice article. Thanks.
post #849 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

I have been a f1 fan for over 50 years, going back to the days that car mags were about the only way to follow it.now it comes in HD with DD. Got me to wondering what everyone thinks soundsthr best f1 or NASCAR. I think its NASCAR .o

How about the now defunct Superleague Formula V12
post #850 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

There, I fixed it for you! biggrin.gif

I stand corrected....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

How about the now defunct Superleague Formula V12
OMG!!!
If THAT isn't ear porn, I have no idea what is.

Why is it the Europeans get all the best race cars?frown.gif
post #851 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I stand corrected....
OMG!!!
If THAT isn't ear porn, I have no idea what is.

Why is it the Europeans get all the best race cars?frown.gif

The Europeans get more good races than we do because there is no NASCAR there. Them good old boys driving around in circles make my eyes glaze over, unless it's Daytona and I am in serious need of a racing fix.smile.gif

On another subject, I agree that the Aston Martin Vanquish is a startlingly beautiful automobile. Better yet, its base price is merely $282,000. When you compare that price to the $397,500 price of the Lamborghini Aventador, maybe it is a real bargain.
post #852 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The Europeans get more good races than we do because there is no NASCAR there. Them good old boys driving around in circles make my eyes glaze over, unless it's Daytona and I am in serious need of a racing fix.smile.gif

On another subject, I agree that the Aston Martin Vanquish is a startlingly beautiful automobile. Better yet, its base price is merely $282,000. When you compare that price to the $397,500 price of the Lamborghini Aventador, maybe it is a real bargain.
I didnt know the Aventador was that cheap.
post #853 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I didnt know the Aventador was that cheap.

Compared to Veyrons, Koenigseggs and Paganis, they are chump change! biggrin.gif
post #854 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The Europeans get more good races than we do because there is no NASCAR there. Them good old boys driving around in circles make my eyes glaze over, unless it's Daytona and I am in serious need of a racing fix.smile.gif
I don't do NASCAR...ever.wink.gif

Quote:
On another subject, I agree that the Aston Martin Vanquish is a startlingly beautiful automobile. Better yet, its base price is merely $282,000.
I think anything over 200k is too steep.

A much more reasonable price is the base Vantage 2013 Coupe at $122,400.

Quote:
When you compare that price to the $397,500 price of the Lamborghini Aventador, maybe it is a real bargain.
I wouldn't have one.

IMO, the Aventador is a fairly unlivable car.
However, it makes a helluva visual impression up close, and the howling of the V12 is something to behold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I didnt know the Aventador was that cheap.
Well, I guess you need to head down to your dealer now.....tongue.gif
post #855 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Compared to Veyrons, Koenigseggs and Paganis, they are chump change! biggrin.gif
True.tongue.gif
post #856 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I don't do NASCAR...ever.wink.gif

Can't really blame you for that. I don't mind watching NASCAR once in a while because the audio and video of the races are uniformly sensational. As noted earlier, though, I am not much of a NASCAR fan myself. Still, it seems to me that well presented racing dreck beats no racing at all.
post #857 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I don't do NASCAR...ever.wink.gif
Well, I guess you need to head down to your dealer now.....tongue.gif
I couldnt afford the rear view mirror.
post #858 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

How about the now defunct Superleague Formula V12
What sounds better?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pRRJPfWLt0 F!
post #859 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Can't really blame you for that. I don't mind watching NASCAR once in a while because the audio and video of the races are uniformly sensational. As noted earlier, though, I am not much of a NASCAR fan myself. Still, it seems to me that well presented racing dreck beats no racing at all.
When that happens, I go for a drive up in the hills.wink.gif
post #860 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

What sounds better?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pRRJPfWLt0 F!
That's a tough call....the V10 does sound sweet.smile.gif
post #861 of 4793
So far the NBC coverage seems much the same as it was on SPEED,one thing I do miss is the GP2 coverage.Great racing.
post #862 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

So far the NBC coverage seems much the same as it was on SPEED,one thing I do miss is the GP2 coverage.Great racing.
I agree. I forgot about that until you mentioned it.
post #863 of 4793
I may have been overstating the sucks part, but they were basically an also ran.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

What you're doing is being a fan. Nothing wrong with that, and that is actually where the magic is - the emotion of their (Ferrari) fans.

But in being a fan, you shouldn't rewrite history. As far as I can tell, Williams has more constructors titles than Ferrari in the same time period. The reason people have historically chided Ferrari is their seeming advantage over other teams - they should win more. During The Schumi era they had for all intents and purposes, their own dedicated tire manufacturer. They had several hundred extra tires available at times, to be used at their own private test track. They broke testing agreements because they could. The list goes on.

You use "fact" and "proof" in the same sentence, making an absolute statement that's obviously absurd. Not every driver wants to drive for Ferrari. What could be said is that many top drivers would like to. But if you look at their history, much of their success has been due to Lauda and Schumi. The word at the time was that it took someone like Lauda to whip them into shape - get past the internal politics and get to winning. My guess would be that, along with their obvious resource advantage, top drivers want to try their hand at riding the stallion - it's a great challenge, not a gimme at all. Where would they have been last season if not for Alonso?

My turn to be a fan smile.gif No matter the numbers, Lauda is my guy. Here's a nice article on him and Ferrari.

Fjames has got it.

Bond, you say that Ferrari has more wins than anyone else, but IIRC until Schumi came along Mclaren and maybe Williams had more wins than Ferrari.

As for drivers wanting to drive for Ferrari, do you think it might have something to do with the fact that they will make more there than anywhere else?

On the road cars, I really don't find any of the new sports cars that great to look at. Have any of you seen these cars in person? I saw a 599 or 430 today, but I really didn't look to closely as it passed by. It just didn't look overly impressive. The Bugatti Veryon that I saw two months ago was pretty nice, but I guess the car I like the best in the last twenty years is the McLaren F1.
post #864 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

I may have been overstating the sucks part, but they were basically an also ran.
Fjames has got it.

Bond, you say that Ferrari has more wins than anyone else, but IIRC until Schumi came along Mclaren and maybe Williams had more wins than Ferrari.

As for drivers wanting to drive for Ferrari, do you think it might have something to do with the fact that they will make more there than anywhere else?

On the road cars, I really don't find any of the new sports cars that great to look at. Have any of you seen these cars in person? I saw a 599 or 430 today, but I really didn't look to closely as it passed by. It just didn't look overly impressive. The Bugatti Veryon that I saw two months ago was pretty nice, but I guess the car I like the best in the last twenty years is the McLaren F1.
Driving for Ferrari is more prestigious and looks a lot better on a resume.
Williams and McLaren just came off of over a decade of winning. But what I would like to see, since you and fjames keep bringing it up, is why dont you actually research it and let us know what the facts are. If how many wins each team has year by year since the beginning of F1 is so important to you then find a list or compile one and provide it. The "I think", "as far as I can tell", "it looks like" and "to the best of my recollection" stuff is getting kinda old.
You both want to just discount the Schumacher years as if thats the only time that they have ever won so it shouldnt count or something. Were the Schumacher years all just a fluke? Was it all because of Schumacher? Were they just cheating the whole time so they shouldnt get credit for it? Cmon.
How about if I said that if you remove McLarens longest winning streak (88-91) then they arent even in the same league as Ferrari. Or if you disregard Williams best times (92, 93, 94, 96 and 97) they barely even belong in F1.
If you want to keep dogging Ferrari with supposed facts then provide the real facts and not just the way that they "seem to you".
Better yet, if youre a McLaren fan then why dont you talk about how great McLaren is instead of comparing them to Ferrari in ways that you arent sure about.
Edited by Bond 007 - 3/29/13 at 3:28am
post #865 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post


On the road cars, I really don't find any of the new sports cars that great to look at. Have any of you seen these cars in person?
I have been here several times:
http://exoticsracing.com/

With Supercars it isn't JUST about aesthetics.
It's also about the performance, the technical quality, and the exclusivity.

All I can say is take one for a drive, and you will become keenly aware of a unique and special driving experience.wink.gif
post #866 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I have been here several times:
http://exoticsracing.com/

With Supercars it isn't JUST about aesthetics.
It's also about the performance, the technical quality, and the exclusivity.

All I can say is take one for a drive, and you will become keenly aware of a unique and special driving experience.wink.gif
I dont like you anymore. wink.gif
But I still have to ask. What have you driven and what is your favorite?
Edited by Bond 007 - 3/28/13 at 11:09pm
post #867 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I dont like you anymore. wink.gif
But I still have to ask. What have you driven and what is your favorite?
The Aventador once and the 458 twice.
Unless something new comes in, next time it will be the Merc SLS.

Driving the 458 is a kinetic experience...unlike any other car I have ever driven.
A neck-stretcher with limits far beyond my meager skills.

The Aventador taught a valuable lesson and may have saved me a lot of dough: I will never own a Supercar with all-wheel drive.
The Lambo too easily went into understeer when pushed hard in the corners.
Very disconcerting and hard to correct for, while correcting for oversteer is something I am very comfortable doing (when necessary).

Of course, YMMV.wink.gif
post #868 of 4793
Here's a DVR alert for all you Ferrari fans.

H2 channel will be showing an encore of the early career of Enzo Ferrari, concentrating on the development of the legendary 375 as well as the famous 1951 race at Silverstone. It also deals a little with the dangers of early racing. I've seen the show a couple of times and it's very enjoyable.

Man, Moment, Machine 3/30 at 4AM
post #869 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Here's a DVR alert for all you Ferrari fans.

H2 channel will be showing an encore of the early career of Enzo Ferrari, concentrating on the development of the legendary 375 as well as the famous 1951 race at Silverstone. It also deals a little with the dangers of early racing. I've seen the show a couple of times and it's very enjoyable.

Man, Moment, Machine 3/30 at 4AM
I have seen it and thought it was a very good show too.
post #870 of 4793
From Wiki:

Ferrari has: 219 race wins / 15 drivers / 16 constructors
McLaren has: 182 race wins / 12 drivers / 8 constructors
Williams has: 114 race wins / 7 drivers / 9 constructors
Lotus has: 79 race wins / 6 drivers / 7 constructors

Drivers
Constructor Total
Ferrari = 15
McLaren = 12
Williams = 7
Lotus = 6


Constructors
Constructor Total Seasons
Ferrari = 16
1961, 1964, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1983, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008

Williams = 9
1980, 1981, 1986, 1987, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997

McLaren = 8
1974, 1984, 1985, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1998

Lotus = 7
1963, 1965, 1968, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1978


Race wins

Constructor - Seasons - Wins
1 - Ferrari - 1950–2013 - 219
2 - McLaren - 1966–2013 - 182
3 - Williams - 1978–2013 - 114
4 - Lotus - 1958–1994 - 79
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 2013 Formula 1 in HD