or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews › Total Recall (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Total Recall (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 8

post #211 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

Has anyone tried Bitstream on the latest PS3 Firmware (v4.41 released 4/25/2013)?

I think it is safe to say Sony isn't going to fix the disc since it has been out 4 months, and the bad version is still the one they are selling. frown.gif

But if they fix the PS3 firmware to deal with the current one, I am willing to purchase it.

I am curious, has anyone tried this yet? And did Bitstream finally work?

What a shame that even now, this issue has not been resolved! And even more shameful, Sony still has not released any firmware fix for their OWN Blu-ray players, like my 790!!!!!! And I check every day for one.
post #212 of 243
I've just watched this Total Recall in blu ray. The sound effects are very good.
Enjoyed the movie. It was non-stop action. Much better than Dredd.
I watched the Director's Cut version in "Pro Logic IIx with Audyssey DSX" surround mode (9.2 Heights + Rears). Experienced 2 audio drop-outs.
post #213 of 243
Request from OPPO re New FW update. Answer: (Sony's Fault and won't owe up to it! For those Blaming a Bad Blu-ray - somewhat!)
Is Sony going to send all requestors a New Copy once they have the Problem worked out?

We are still working with Dolby and Sony on this issue. At this time this is Sony's mastering error and not a problem with the player directly. In the interim you will need to use LPCM instead of Bit Stream for your HDMI Audio.



Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118ReplyQuote Multi 0 ReplyQuote Mult
post #214 of 243
I avoided this movie for the reviews I heard or read elsewhere plus my own bias against a remake. Recently I saw it on TV. I wound up getting the soundtrack album.
post #215 of 243
So, I have been saying that I wouldn't buy this until it's fixed... well, my wife got it for me as a gift. So we decided to watch it and see. THIS is the version she got me (3-disc Director's Extended Cut). I played it with my PS3 Slim Firmware version 4.41.

We made it about 50 minutes until audio got out of sync and dropped out. I switched over to Linear PCM, and the rest of the movie played fine (except I forgot to change it back to Director's Cut, so I watched the DC for the first 50 minuets, and the Theatrical Cut for the rest... frown.gif)

Anyway, here is the interesting part:

Since I had heard the audio problems were related to copy-protection I reasoned that ripping it might remove the problem along with the copy protection. So I ripped the movie with AnyDVD HD and burned the ripped version back to DL BD media.

Back on the PS3 (audio set back to Bitstream), I started watching the Director's cut from 50 minutes in... and the audio was flawless for about 30 minutes, and then it dropped out completely, but this time a message popped up on my screen that said: "Audio outputs temporarily muted. Do not adjust the playback volume. The content being played is protected by Cinavia and is not authorized for playback on this device. For more information, see http://www.cinavia.com. Message Code 3"

So... I still can't tell if ripping the movie fixed the dropout problem, but I think this is further evidence the issue is copy protection related. By the way, HERE is more info about "Message Code 3".



Sorry for the blurry pic, it was taken with my phone.
post #216 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Request from OPPO re New FW update. Answer: (Sony's Fault and won't owe up to it! For those Blaming a Bad Blu-ray - somewhat!)
Is Sony going to send all requestors a New Copy once they have the Problem worked out?

We are still working with Dolby and Sony on this issue. At this time this is Sony's mastering error and not a problem with the player directly. In the interim you will need to use LPCM instead of Bit Stream for your HDMI Audio.



Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118ReplyQuote Multi 0 ReplyQuote Mult

Big +1
I tried this movie on a Sony player and the Oppo BD83 and 103.
Always some drop off and always at different time.
Change my copy 3 times at Wal-mart and keep telling them, see you next week since they would always refuse to give me my money back.
On the third time they finally give a refund and I will re-buy it once I know the problem with the encoding is fix.

Ray
post #217 of 243

I have this on blu ray,

with samsung bdp-1500. And no issues at all on what every one is describing.  

post #218 of 243
It sounds like it might be a case of some watermarked audio making it's way into the Blu-ray audio chain. It's happened before. Audio on Blu-ray's is supposed to be watermark free or there will be issues on playback. Somebody goofed in prepping the Blu-ray audio.
Edited by moovtune - 6/19/13 at 9:49am
post #219 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcGeek626 View Post

I have this on blu ray,
with samsung bdp-1500. And no issues at all on what every one is describing.  
Did you use PCM or bitstream?
Thanks
post #220 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

Big +1
I tried this movie on a Sony player and the Oppo BD83 and 103.
Always some drop off and always at different time.
Change my copy 3 times at Wal-mart and keep telling them, see you next week since they would always refuse to give me my money back.
On the third time they finally give a refund and I will re-buy it once I know the problem with the encoding is fix.

Ray
Did you try the HDMI Audio with specifically LPCM per Oppo instruction(suggestion) on your BDP-83?
Thanks
post #221 of 243
I called Sony. I waited 26 minutes before a rep answered. I explained to him about TR ADO's. I also tried to convey to him that community.sony.com dated back to last January when Sony started reissuing remastered "corrected" copies. I was on hold for about a minute and then the rep tried to sell me the Bit Stream to PCM setting change. He then went on to the external blu ray players hook-up. This rep does NOT know Home Theater from the alphabet. He admitted he had never heard of Oppo players.His last statement was that Sony discontinued replacing the defective TR BD DVD's.
I would like to ask the moderator if I can provide the complete link I referred to above(my 3rd. sentence).
Thank you
post #222 of 243
Here's my latest feedback::
Let's start with my two BDP-83 Oppo's connected to an Onkyp TX-SR875 AVR. TR played fine, both the Theatrical and Extended Director's Cut via LPCM. i did NOT have any audio drop-out's.

I disconnected one of my Oppo's BDP-83 and I connected an old Panasonic DMP-BD30K. Last night I played TR via PCM the Theatrical version. I did NOT notice any audio drop-out's. Earlier this afternoon I played TR via Bit Stream the Theatrical version again on the Panasonic player. I had about TWELVE audio drop-outs that lasted at the most a second which I consider fairly tolerable. I'll go further by saying that I really enjoyed watching it. My ears told me that I preferred the Bit Stream despite those one second audio drop-outs! I don't want to get poetical NOR technically expert but TR via the Bit Stream setting sounded definitely more dynamic and awesome! Those are my TWO humble cents.
post #223 of 243
The way I fixed is play it on any setting you like. As soon as a drop out happens hit your on screen button and goto chapters. Select where you were closest to then rewind or fast forward to a spot before the drop out. I only had to do this once and I enjoyed the rest of the movie with no drop outs.
post #224 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

The way I fixed is play it on any setting you like. As soon as a drop out happens hit your on screen button and goto chapters. Select where you were closest to then rewind or fast forward to a spot before the drop out. I only had to do this once and I enjoyed the rest of the movie with no drop outs.
What's your BD player brand/model number ?
Thanks
post #225 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

What's your BD player brand/model number ?
Thanks
PS3 Slim model.
post #226 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

PS3 Slim model.
Thanks
post #227 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

The way I fixed is play it on any setting you like. As soon as a drop out happens hit your on screen button and goto chapters. Select where you were closest to then rewind or fast forward to a spot before the drop out. I only had to do this once and I enjoyed the rest of the movie with no drop outs.
I tried that 3X on my Oppo BDP-83 to no avail.
post #228 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

I tried that 3X on my Oppo BDP-83 to no avail.

My Oppo 103 also suffered from random audio dropouts. I also have issues with lip synching if I pause the movie at all. I have found that if I hit the previous chapter button, it will re sync itself and all is well. Fast forwarding or rewinding will not do it.

Try this as opposed to rewinding; I think it may solve your problem.
post #229 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

My Oppo 103 also suffered from random audio dropouts. I also have issues with lip synching if I pause the movie at all. I have found that if I hit the previous chapter button, it will re sync itself and all is well. Fast forwarding or rewinding will not do it.

Try this as opposed to rewinding; I think it may solve your problem.
I'll try it and I'll post my results. BTW I am waiting for the 4kK restored version. I understand it does NOT have the audio drop-outs like this regular version.
Thanks
post #230 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

I'll try it and I'll post my results. BTW I am waiting for the 4kK restored version. I understand it does NOT have the audio drop-outs like this regular version.
Thanks

Doesn't have the audio drop outs is what I read but it has only the Theatrical Version with no extras. Just in case that might make a difference to ya.

Al
post #231 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

Did you try the HDMI Audio with specifically LPCM per Oppo instruction(suggestion) on your BDP-83?
Thanks

HDMI only,
I should not have to reset everything because they screwed up.
My system is set and I should not have to play arround for just one movie.
Once/if they ever do I will repurchase if not oh well.

All of us pay more for blu-ray to get the better picture and sound, studios should pay a little more time and quality control.

Best regard

Ray
post #232 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

HDMI only,
I should not have to reset everything because they screwed up.
My system is set and I should not have to play arround for just one movie.
Once/if they ever do I will repurchase if not oh well.

All of us pay more for blu-ray to get the better picture and sound, studios should pay a little more time and quality control.

Best regard

Ray
Ray:
Resetting the Oppo BDP-83 from either Auto or Bit Stream to LPCM takes a few seconds. Just because you reset the Oppo it does NOT mean you compromise your Home Theater Set-Up, period. That is if you intend to watch TR with a lossless sound. IF you think you'll be satisfied with DD 5.1 that is for you to decide.
I stated above just like Angler 55 that the Total Recall 4K version is audio drop-out FREE! I must warn you it's NOT cheap.
Good luck!
post #233 of 243
I am torn. I never got to finish watching the extended cut before I returned my disc and I would like to own it, but I'm not willing to own the version with audio-dropouts. I think the "Mastered in 4K" version is a rip-off. Since the price is higher, I would expect it to have multiple discs. The current 3-disc edition is cheaper (and technically more expensive to package). The marketing on the cover that says "Optimized for 4K Ultra HD TVs" is very deceptive. It's a 1080p version, so if you have a 1080p TV you are seeing it pixel perfect. It is true that less compression artifacts will mean the scaler in 4K TVs will do a better job, but my point is it looks better on all TVs with at least 1920x1080 pixels. But it doesn't cost any more to make the disc, so I wish they would package an "ultimate" version that has the new mastered from 4K version but with 3 discs: Theatrical cut, Extended Cut, and Extras. The cost would be virtually the same as the other 3-disc version, but at least the premium price would be justified.
post #234 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

I am torn. I never got to finish watching the extended cut before I returned my disc and I would like to own it, but I'm not willing to own the version with audio-dropouts. I think the "Mastered in 4K" version is a rip-off. Since the price is higher, I would expect it to have multiple discs. The current 3-disc edition is cheaper (and technically more expensive to package). The marketing on the cover that says "Optimized for 4K Ultra HD TVs" is very deceptive. It's a 1080p version, so if you have a 1080p TV you are seeing it pixel perfect. It is true that less compression artifacts will mean the scaler in 4K TVs will do a better job, but my point is it looks better on all TVs with at least 1920x1080 pixels. But it doesn't cost any more to make the disc, so I wish they would package an "ultimate" version that has the new mastered from 4K version but with 3 discs: Theatrical cut, Extended Cut, and Extras. The cost would be virtually the same as the other 3-disc version, but at least the premium price would be justified.
What HDMI setting do you have on your BD player, Bit Stream or LPCM? If you DON'T mind tell us about your player.
Thanks
Edited by Zenyatto - 7/18/13 at 5:54pm
post #235 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

Ray:
Resetting the Oppo BDP-83 from either Auto or Bit Stream to LPCM takes a few seconds. Just because you reset the Oppo it does NOT mean you compromise your Home Theater Set-Up, period. That is if you intend to watch TR with a lossless sound. IF you think you'll be satisfied with DD 5.1 that is for you to decide.
I stated above just like Angler 55 that the Total Recall 4K version is audio drop-out FREE! I must warn you it's NOT cheap.
Good luck!

Agreed. I've never understood the concerns behind the bitstream vs LPCM debate. It's the same signal just being decoded by either the player for one, or the receiver for the other. The only difference is you don't have any fancy lights on your receiver to look at, for those of you who like that sort of thing.
post #236 of 243
I watched the "Optimized For 4K Ultra HD TV's" Total Recall version with my Oppo BDP-83 HDMI setting at AUTO. The PQ was awesome. The colors pop-out all over. NO, I did I did NOT have any audio drop-outs. I did NOT have to wait for previews! It does NOT have any! It goes straight to the menu. I am pleased despite the expensive price.
Edited by Zenyatto - 7/20/13 at 9:08am
post #237 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

What HDMI setting do you have on your BD player, Bit Stream or LPCM? If you DON'T mind tell us about your player.
Thanks
If you scroll up a bit, you can see my whole experience... but to directly answer: PS3 Slim Firmware version 4.41, bitstream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Agreed. I've never understood the concerns behind the bitstream vs LPCM debate. It's the same signal just being decoded by either the player for one, or the receiver for the other. The only difference is you don't have any fancy lights on your receiver to look at, for those of you who like that sort of thing.
There is a little more to it than that. The "pretty" light in my case is the actual words "Dolby TrueHD" or "DTS MA-HD"... and it is somewhat important to me because it is how I double-check to see that I have selected the correct audio track (a few discs default to a different one than I prefer). And yes, I was able to change over to LPCM just for this movie, but that's a pain that I'm not willing to live with, so I sent the movie back. The worst part is I forgot to re-select extended cut when I came back to the movie after changing my settings, so that's why I never got to see that version. frown.gif
post #238 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

Ray:
Resetting the Oppo BDP-83 from either Auto or Bit Stream to LPCM takes a few seconds. Just because you reset the Oppo it does NOT mean you compromise your Home Theater Set-Up, period. That is if you intend to watch TR with a lossless sound. IF you think you'll be satisfied with DD 5.1 that is for you to decide.
I stated above just like Angler 55 that the Total Recall 4K version is audio drop-out FREE! I must warn you it's NOT cheap.
Good luck!

I don't believe that this statement is actually correct.

If you reset the Oppo to LPCM. you are sending 5.1 PCM to your HTR. YOu then lose the ability to use whatever addtional processing/speakers you've got.

Example, for me, when I do this, my central channel rear and 2 front presence speakers go silent. Using a Yamaha HTR and Oppo 103

So can you listen with out dropouts... yes. Without consequences.... no.

GB
post #239 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard191 View Post

I don't believe that this statement is actually correct.

If you reset the Oppo to LPCM. you are sending 5.1 PCM to your HTR. YOu then lose the ability to use whatever addtional processing/speakers you've got.

Example, for me, when I do this, my central channel rear and 2 front presence speakers go silent. Using a Yamaha HTR and Oppo 103

So can you listen with out dropouts... yes. Without consequences.... no.

GB

The thing is though, the soundtrack is actually 5.1 Dolby TrueHD so if your missing something it would be something that you added and wasn't there to begin with.

That's how I see it anyway.

Al
post #240 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard191 View Post

I don't believe that this statement is actually correct.

If you reset the Oppo to LPCM. you are sending 5.1 PCM to your HTR. YOu then lose the ability to use whatever addtional processing/speakers you've got.

Example, for me, when I do this, my central channel rear and 2 front presence speakers go silent. Using a Yamaha HTR and Oppo 103

So can you listen with out dropouts... yes. Without consequences.... no.

GB
Switching to LPCM with either of my two Oppo's BDP-83 did NOT affect nor compromised any of the settings on my 5.1 HTR. My AVR is the Onkyo TX-SR875. I also mentioned that I disconnected one of the Oppo's. I in turn connected an older Panasonic BD player the DMP-BD30K. I experienced the same results without "any consequences."
BTW you are the only one that had posted HTR negative results by switching to LPCM.
Objectively stated
Edited by Zenyatto - 7/27/13 at 10:03am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews › Total Recall (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review