or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Tekton Pendragon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tekton Pendragon - Page 36

post #1051 of 1749
You could always get it blessed like Rocky did.
post #1052 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosavant View Post

My "magical" Morrow cables. Note the hint of sparkle from the dust of the Grand Wazoo and the slight sheen left behind from the oil of a particularly nasty black mamba ...


Here's the Morrow SP3 Reference feeding the unholy orifice of the worlds most controversial speaker, the Tekton Pendragon.

Nice pics of your new cables, Let us know how you like them after some burn-in.
Just my $002 a fine cable deserves some CAIG Deoxit Gold.
The $25 kit http://www.musicdirect.com/p-1158-caig-vacuum-tube-survival-kit.aspx will work great for your tube sockets and pins as well as your new cables. I have used the stuff on everything AV for the last 25 years. If putting some Deoxit on a flashlight battery will make the light brighter it must do something for an audio cable and the signal.
post #1053 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosavant View Post

...
Oh, I can tell that by the humorlessness, lack of irony and basic social graces, the inordinate amount of time they spend on forums arguing insignificant minutia with others and their general air of "I have no girlfriend and probably never will". EEs are a fun, if a bit unimaginative, bunch. Good to know when you need something fixed, but lacking somewhat in aesthetic acuity. biggrin.gif
...

Wait, who is the one posting pictures of his audio cables on an online forum? And EEs are the ones lacking a sense of irony? Try again, newbie. tongue.gif
post #1054 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosavant View Post

My "magical" Morrow cables. Note the hint of sparkle from the dust of the Grand Wazoo and the slight sheen left behind from the oil of a particularly nasty black mamba ...

Did you get the cable maker to dance around the cables while chanting flowery audiophile language after buying it?
post #1055 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

I would prefer to see the good in people and not ascribe nefarious motives to their actions.

That would have to the funniest thing that you have posted so far in this thread. You actually come across the exact opposite. It is funny how some people perceive themselves.

You seem to pounce at every opportunity to put the boots in when ever you can in this thread. Not sure if it is just the way you post as I am only following this thread on these forums. Did you fall out with Eric somewhere?

We have people who post like you on the Aussie forums and it has been know that they have a financial interest in competing products or are mates with someone who is.
I think you might be right up there with the most posts in this thread and someone who does not own any Tekton products, its make you wonder.
post #1056 of 1749
Rocky I used to think that about Chu but I changed my mind. He is trying to help. I do think though that several people have posted problems with tekton and have less then ten posts. Funny you never see anyone who is critical of them saying there a troll or questioning their validity. Why would you post fake info. ? Just for entertainment I think. Am I saying that most negative reports are fake ... no . There are enough of them their to easily say eric has handled some things very poorly . People waiting months is a joke.
What I am going to do is build me a seos zephyr waveguide speaker kit next month. Then I will compare them to my tektons dbt with level matching . The seos measure great and are highly rated on this site. If there better then tekton then I will sell the tekton. I will have a few buddies over and see what they think as well.
post #1057 of 1749
Understandable from Tekton owners or people looking at purchasing. But I think he must have over 50 posts in this thread alone and most seem to be putting the boots in when ever he can.
post #1058 of 1749
He has a very dry sense of humour that took me awhile to get. Sometimes he pokes the bear pretty hard. I am sure he will chime in tongue.gif .

I didn't explain why I am trying diy speakers . I love my tektons and didn't realize before I bought them how good diy speakers can be (was pig headed and silly) . I like to build so I want to give it a try. I want to see if speakers that are designed better and measure better actually sound better.
post #1059 of 1749
I have a question for you guys. I just got a new receiver and after I installed it, I hooked the room calibration microphone up and ran the speaker room cal.
When I went and checked my speaker levels my right tower was set at +1db, my left tower was set at -1db. So by being the level headed guy that I am, I adjusted them and made them the same. My question is why were they initially auto calibrated at different levels.?
post #1060 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspectr View Post

My question is why were they initially auto calibrated at different levels.?
This:
http://www.ethanwiner.com/believe.html
post #1061 of 1749
If you had a business, would you feel confident in hiring Eric Alexander as a General Manager to run it successfully?
post #1062 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

If you had a business, would you feel confident in hiring Eric Alexander to run it successfully?
How about AIG? Perhaps Madoff Investment Securities? smile.gif
post #1063 of 1749
Rocky500, I've never had a falling out with Tekton. I've never spoken to Eric nor am I involved in any manner whatsoever when it comes to the audio business. I'm more interested in the business ethics aspect of things and look to gain a greater insight into matters by applying some critical thinking. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Take for example statements that Tekton used some custom tweeter. Without specific qualification, and there isn't any, I find that claim laughable if for no other reason that Tekton does not command the volume needed to pull that off in a cost effective way. It reminds me of when Craig chase said he used sub amplifiers custom made for Chase Home Theater. After some stonewalling, under pressure he finally said that by custom he meant they were ordered specifically for him. Jesus, with that kind of thinking, whenever I order coffee beans or a box of screws, they're also custom!

So long as Tekton does not make things right, everyone should be putting the screw to them. If you want to find matters such as these trivialized then put the song Tomorrow on from Annie and read some Andrew Robinson. You know it's only a daybreak away.
post #1064 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

You could always get it blessed like Rocky did.


I think I still have some virgin blood lying around that I can use to anoint them with... but I would be honored to have the good reverend, Ghu Gai, bless them as well! smile.gif

And since I'm still technically in the early stage of the legendary Morrow "break in" period, I would like to ask that all AVS forum members pray for me and my cables...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post

Wait, who is the one posting pictures of his audio cables on an online forum? And EEs are the ones lacking a sense of irony? Try again, newbie. tongue.gif


Well, you see I was following a linear trajectory in this thread by posting my experiences with the Tekton Pendragon speakers. I had been reading this thread (and many others like it) about the Pendragons, after I actually bought a pair, I started posting here. If you'll notice, I posted that I recently ordered the Morrow cables to hook up to said speakers. I was asked to post my impressions about the cables. Just trying to supply some visual aid as I "review" them in my home on my system.

But whats-a-matter? You no-like-a pictures? tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

Did you get the cable maker to dance around the cables while chanting flowery audiophile language after buying it?


Do young, nubile girls dancing naked in a pagan boogie ritual count? Cause that's the kinda stuff that typically goes on in my swinging pleasure bunker... biggrin.gif

Now, about the cables. I'm agnostic when it comes to cables. I just wanted to get well made, quality cables for my speakers and DAC and the Morrows have a good rep and were offering a 30% discount.

My experience with the Morrow cable so far...

The reason that I'm posting about this is that I've been told that cables "don't matter" and break in is just a myth. If I hear any differences its because my mind is willing it to be. OK, fair enough. But I still wanna see if this placebo effect is real for me. All I can do is give my subjective opinion on what I hear on my system.


After playing a cd through my system with the old cable, I switched in the new Morrows. I did hear a difference when I listened to the same cd. The sound was thicker and a good bit more solid. The bass seemed meatier too. Maybe a bit less definition than what I was using before, but still really nice. Now my "expectation bias" going in was that they would be thin and a bit harsh and peaky. Other than a few times I "thought" I heard some exaggerated sibilants, I didn't notice anything sounding wrong. I let them play all day while I was doing other stuff and late last night we sat down to listen critically. They had a little over 12 hours on them. First up was Brian Eno's Before And After Science. The sound was epic and very much how I know (and love) this album. Side two was almost a religious experience, it was that profoundly moving and the sound of it playing through my system was stunning. These Pendragons are some of the best speakers I've ever heard... and I've heard many high end speakers. That I will state emphatically. Cables? Not sure. I'm very skeptical, but trying to be open minded. I like how these cables are made and they have not degraded the sound and perform correctly thus far. I played disc after disc and the sound of the whole system sounds wonderful.

Now Morrow and many reviewers claim there's a horrible break in period where everything sounds like sh#t and people freak out and wanna send back the cables. After about 14 hours I still have not heard anything wrong or unusual. If I do, I will report that.

Here's a picture for beaveav of my PrimaLuna "cooking" my cables... biggrin.gif

post #1065 of 1749
Being an Internet reverend, I do toss down blessings your way. There's a program called AudioDiffMaker, AudioSavant. You can run the output of your system into a DAC and compare the files using the program which also creates the difference file which you can both visually examine and play. Being that you're obviously skilled in recording, this ought not pose any technical programs for you. BTW, just nake sure the girls are over 18!
post #1066 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Rocky I used to think that about Chu but I changed my mind. He is trying to help. I do think though that several people have posted problems with tekton and have less then ten posts. Funny you never see anyone who is critical of them saying there a troll or questioning their validity. Why would you post fake info. ? Just for entertainment I think. Am I saying that most negative reports are fake ... no . There are enough of them their to easily say eric has handled some things very poorly . People waiting months is a joke.
What I am going to do is build me a seos zephyr waveguide speaker kit next month. Then I will compare them to my tektons dbt with level matching . The seos measure great and are highly rated on this site. If there better then tekton then I will sell the tekton. I will have a few buddies over and see what they think as well.

Interested in your results. Have not heard the Tekton's, but have owned JTR and currently use the SEOS with DNA-360, paired with a TD12M. Have tried them passively and actively. Passive, feeding them 300 watts and active feeding 300 watts to the TD12M and 130 watts to the DNA-360. MiniDSP10x10HD for the active crossover.
Reply
Reply
post #1067 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Being an Internet reverend, I do toss down blessings your way. There's a program called AudioDiffMaker, AudioSavant. You can run the output of your system into a DAC and compare the files using the program which also creates the difference file which you can both visually examine and play. Being that you're obviously skilled in recording, this ought not pose any technical programs for you.!


When you mean the output of my system, are you talking about direct out of the amp or by setting up microphones and recording the speakers? That would be the only semi-realistic way of capturing the actual "sound event" of a stereo playing music. A stereo pair of LDC's placed at the listener position would be closer to the "experience" of hearing the system. Critical testing is done differently and usually under very specific conditions. I'm good at recording drums, vocals, piano, etc, but the only time I record speakers is for guitar or an effect or when audience mics are picking up the mains.

I find that one of the big differences between pro audio and the audiophile world is: in the studio, I want the flattest, most accurate sound from my monitors. With serious room treatments and listening in the nearfield position, all acoustic interactions with the room are kept to a minimum and everything is very neutral and flat. You want the cold, ugly truth for tracking and mixing. For home listening, I think there is more of a euphonic balance that you are trying to achieve rather than just clinical and analytical. Accurate yes, but also allowing some environmental coloration. The room plays a much larger role in the overall sound than in the studio. Audiophile speakers tend to be voiced to flatter the source a bit more while studio monitors are there to highlight deficiencies and allow a clear, unaltered picture into the mix. A lot of music that sounds great on your home hi-fi sounds like ass on studio monitors. Especially modern recordings and mastering. Stuff that is almost unlistenable on very accurate studio monitors can sound a lot more musical on your home stereo. I always say, studio monitors are for work, audiophile speakers are for pleasure. It's a fine balance of truth and euphony that is the hallmark of great audiophile speakers. Too much truth and it's no fun and too clinical, too much euphony and you're getting a distorted and inaccurate experience of how the source actually sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

BTW, just nake sure the girls are over 18!

Of course they are! Better yet, when you flip them over, they null... biggrin.gif
post #1068 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosavant View Post

When you mean the output of my system, are you talking about direct out of the amp or by setting up microphones and recording the speakers? That would be the only semi-realistic way of capturing the actual "sound event" of a stereo playing music. A stereo pair of LDC's placed at the listener position would be closer to the "experience" of hearing the system. Critical testing is done differently and usually under very specific conditions. I'm good at recording drums, vocals, piano, etc, but the only time I record speakers is for guitar or an effect or when audience mics are picking up the mains.
Not from the speakers. Besides being a lot of work, you'll see differences without changing anything due to things like temperature effects. Stereophile once had an article that did just that and while the person found differences, they could just as easily be explained by other factors. It wasnt a very rigorous or comprehensive examination although I'm sure he thought differently. Try taking it out of your preamp seeing as you bought interconnects IIRC.
Quote:
I find that one of the big differences between pro audio and the audiophile world is: in the studio, I want the flattest, most accurate sound from my monitors. With serious room treatments and listening in the nearfield position, all acoustic interactions with the room are kept to a minimum and everything is very neutral and flat. You want the cold, ugly truth for tracking and mixing. For home listening, I think there is more of a euphonic balance that you are trying to achieve rather than just clinical and analytical. Accurate yes, but also allowing some environmental coloration. The room plays a much larger role in the overall sound than in the studio. Audiophile speakers tend to be voiced to flatter the source a bit more while studio monitors are there to highlight deficiencies and allow a clear, unaltered picture into the mix. A lot of music that sounds great on your home hi-fi sounds like ass on studio monitors. Especially modern recordings and mastering. Stuff that is almost unlistenable on very accurate studio monitors can sound a lot more musical on your home stereo. I always say, studio monitors are for work, audiophile speakers are for pleasure. It's a fine balance of truth and euphony that is the hallmark of great audiophile speakers. Too much truth and it's no fun and too clinical, too much euphony and you're getting a distorted and inaccurate experience of how the source actually sounds.
I figured you would choose the appropriate device to record the signal among the very many toys you have.
Quote:
Of course they are! Better yet, when you flip them over, they null... biggrin.gif
Maybe for twins.
post #1069 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosavant View Post

I saw that and no, I'm not calling him a liar, but I haven't heard of Eric ripping people off for $ either.

Yes. You have heard of Eric ripping someone off. You heard the poster you are referencing claim Eric ripped him off.

Perhaps you mean "this is the only instance I have heard", which is fine; but it's begging the question. How many random (and random is important to avoid selection bias) business transactions of Tekton's are you privy to?

I have no personal knowledge of Madoff running a ponzi scheme, and the day before it broke the news, I would have never heard of it. Yet he did. Absence of evidence and all that.

So as a third party I have to weigh what I see. Here's what I see.

- Almost all proponents of Tekton (people with positive stories) are new posters.
- Some detractors are established posters.
- Many of the proponents assert positions that they could not possibly be capable of defending (like your assertion about business practices you have no part in)

Should complaints be taken with a grain of salt? Of course they should! But on whole, I see many reasons to avoid doing business and few to do business (even if Tekton's are excellent speakers, so are Seaton, JTR, etc; and without the bad history).
post #1070 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post



So as a third party I have to weigh what I see. Here's what I see.

- Almost all proponents of Tekton (people with positive stories) are new posters

Simply wrong. Look at the first 200 posts in this thread and almost all people who bought have many posts. Since then the thread has become vrry negative .

- Some detractors are established posters.

Not one established detractor of the sound who actually owns them besides the blown tweeters . Those guys should have definitely been given free replacement and that was bush by eric

- Many of the proponents assert positions that they could not possibly be capable of defending (like your assertion about business practices you have no part in

I agree

Should complaints be taken with a grain of salt? Of course they should! But on whole, I see many reasons to avoid doing business and few to do business (even if Tekton's are excellent speakers, so are Seaton, JTR, etc; and without the bad history).
There are definitely safer choices. You are right
post #1071 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Not from the speakers. Besides being a lot of work, you'll see differences without changing anything due to things like temperature effects. Stereophile once had an article that did just that and while the person found differences, they could just as easily be explained by other factors. It wasnt a very rigorous or comprehensive examination although I'm sure he thought differently. Try taking it out of your preamp seeing as you bought interconnects IIRC.
.


Ahh... I thought you were talking mainly about the speaker cables and the system as a whole. Doing what you describe to show if there is any measurable difference between ICs might be worth trying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

I figured you would choose the appropriate device to record the signal among the very many toys you have.


Well, even though I use ProTools (and various other DAWs/software) and high end converters in the studio, you'd probably be aghast at what I feel is my favorite "appropriate device to record the signal" with.biggrin.gif

Our well maintained analog signal recording units pictured here:

post #1072 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Simply wrong. Look at the first 200 posts in this thread and almost all people who bought have many posts. Since then the thread has become vrry negative .

I am not reviewing 200 posts to pull a statistic. A month or so ago I welcomed to the boards 3-6 new posters all of whom's posting history was almost entirely on this thread and unflinchingly positive. (the negative posts start at post #5, so I'm not sure about "become" smile.gif )

Our new "There's no way Eric ever cheated anyone" poster is 30 posts in (how many on this thread?). That said: I will admit my observation is anecdotal rather than rigorously evaluated.
Quote:
Not one established detractor of the sound who actually owns them besides the blown tweeters . Those guys should have definitely been given free replacement and that was bush by eric

I'd have to go back and count: but it seems to me there were about 3 posters complaining of blown tweeters, not one. There were at least a few owners complaining that they never received grills. Also: the bulk of the complaints seem to be about non-delivery (is someone who has ordered and not received an "owner"? I'm not sure).

If I've over-generalized, I welcome the comments and perspective you've added. Thank you. smile.gif
post #1073 of 1749
You are always classy Jerry . At a football game and my team is winning . Sweet
post #1074 of 1749
Its funny, I started to re-read this thread from the first page and even on the first page people were complaining about deliveries and guys not getting grills.
post #1075 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Its funny, I started to re-read this thread from the first page and even on the first page people were complaining about deliveries and guys not getting grills.

In 9 days, I will be celebrating my one year Pendragon anniversary (with grills ...or with grills, I thought) order date. Received the speakers long ago but have lost all hope on the grills.

Almost a year without paid for grills... I am not a happy camper! If I had known I would NOT have purchased my Pendragons... Kinda like buying a new sports car and never getting the tires from the dealer.mad.gif
Edited by Soundman5000 - 8/17/13 at 10:26pm
post #1076 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman5000 View Post

In 9 days, I will be celibrating my one year Pendragon ( with grills) order date. Got the speakers but have lost hope on the grills.

Almost a year without paid for grills... I am not a happy camper! If I had known I would NOT have purchased my Pendragons... Kinda like buying a new sports car and never getting the tires from the dealer.mad.gif

I'm just curious, and I don't mean to sound insulting, but why would a speaker manufacturer ship speakers without grills?

Is this something common in the ID industry?

That just sounds kinda....flaky.
post #1077 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Our new "There's no way Eric ever cheated anyone" poster is 30 posts in (how many on this thread?). That said: I will admit my observation is anecdotal rather than rigorously evaluated.
I'd have to go back and count: but it seems to me there were about 3 posters complaining of blown tweeters, not one. There were at least a few owners complaining that they never received grills. Also: the bulk of the complaints seem to be about non-delivery (is someone who has ordered and not received an "owner"? I'm not sure).

It's obvious you're talking about me but I never posted that. All I said was that it's the first time that I've heard about anyone getting "ripped off" by Tekton. As far as I know, their policy is to not charge your card until they have a tracking # and are ready to ship your order. One poster says that he was charged and never received his speakers. I find that odd since everyone else seems to get the same treatment I did. Yes, wait times are an "issue" as well as getting speaker grills, but I've yet to see any evidence of people getting screwed over. If I would have read that I probably wouldn't have placed an order in the first place.

I'm not here to defend Tekton as a business and I'm certainly not here to defend Eric. I don't know him personally and have only talked to him a few times around the time I placed my order. I signed up to AVS after I got the Pendragons because I thought it would be fun to discuss the speaker with others. I've been a long time lurker here and I'm fairly well known at Gearslutz and Steve Hoffman's site. I read all of the other audio forums as well but don't have time to join and post in all of them. I didn't realize my low post count invalidated my input and made my opinions suspect. If I'm not welcome here, I will graciously bow out. I'll let the AVS community decide that. I wouldn't be here if I didn't enjoy the site and think that I may have some things to contribute.

Although, by the way things are going, I'll probably be banned soon anyway since I've already gotten an infraction by stating my opinion of Ethan Winer.rolleyes.gif
post #1078 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

I'm just curious, and I don't mean to sound insulting, but why would a speaker manufacturer ship speakers without grills?

Is this something common in the ID industry?

That just sounds kinda....flaky.

No it's not common and of all the ID speakers that I've heard of Tekton is the only one that this is happening with.
post #1079 of 1749
Home theater shack is having a speaker shootout with tekton lores.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/two-channel-audio/69247-official-1-000-speaker-evaluation-home-audition-event.html

They are not positing results until way later.
post #1080 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosavant View Post

It's obvious you're talking about me but I never posted that. All I said was that it's the first time that I've heard about anyone getting "ripped off" by Tekton. As far as I know, their policy is to not charge your card until they have a tracking # and are ready to ship your order. One poster says that he was charged and never received his speakers. I find that odd since everyone else seems to get the same treatment I did. Yes, wait times are an "issue" as well as getting speaker grills, but I've yet to see any evidence of people getting screwed over. If I would have read that I probably wouldn't have placed an order in the first place.

I'm not here to defend Tekton as a business and I'm certainly not here to defend Eric. I don't know him personally and have only talked to him a few times around the time I placed my order. I signed up to AVS after I got the Pendragons because I thought it would be fun to discuss the speaker with others. I've been a long time lurker here and I'm fairly well known at Gearslutz and Steve Hoffman's site. I read all of the other audio forums as well but don't have time to join and post in all of them. I didn't realize my low post count invalidated my input and made my opinions suspect. If I'm not welcome here, I will graciously bow out. I'll let the AVS community decide that. I wouldn't be here if I didn't enjoy the site and think that I may have some things to contribute.

Although, by the way things are going, I'll probably be banned soon anyway since I've already gotten an infraction by stating my opinion of Ethan Winer.rolleyes.gif

It just comes across the wrong way when you stand there and defend Eric and go off about he would never rip anyone off because you've dealt with him and know for a fact he wouldn't do that. And there's plenty of cases where he has not shipped grills that were paid for and even telling a customer that he was his fault for prepaying for speakers that he still hadn't received over 8 months later.

I think if you just stayed to telling people why you liked your speakers and stopped with the name calling you'll be fine and everyone's entitled to have an opinion. And whether you agree with it or not doesn't really matter but there's no point in flinging mud at someone because of it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Tekton Pendragon