or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › 3D HDTV's at 48Hz/fps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3D HDTV's at 48Hz/fps

Poll Results: Hz/fps 24 or 48 - old or the new what do you choose?

 
  • 25% (1)
    24Hz/fps
  • 75% (3)
    48Hz/fps
4 Total Votes  
post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
Yesterday while viewing Alice in Wonderland 3D I was wondering how would 48Hz/fps look in a home setting since the Hobbit is not being screened in 1,000 cinemas in America using this format. I then began to poke around in my system settings and noticed my set was displaying 48Hz for the movie. I have the Vizio M3D550KD and was wondering if this is a common feature for 3D HDTV’s already or no? I know many Blu-Rays have 24Hz but do some already have this 48Hz? And if it is indeed common was the film actually captured using a higher frame rate or was that part of the 3D conversion process or is it just my TV doing the up conversion in frame rate? I have many other 3D Blu-Rays that I will test out shortly Alice in Wonderland just happened to be the one I noticed. I have yet to see the Hobbit in HRF 3D but I will soon, I wonder if it looks as amazing as I hope.
Edited by PlayNice - 12/19/12 at 2:46pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

I was wondering how would 48Hz/fps look in a home setting since the Hobbit is not being screened in 1,000 cinemas in America using this format.
48fps on The Hobbit is a TOTAL frame-rate of 96fps because its 48fps per eye.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

I then began to poke around in my system settings and noticed my set was displaying 48Hz for the movie.
If its doing 24fps per eye, technically, on a single-screen display, it is running at 48fps as a TOTAL frame-rate which isnt inaccurate and perfectly within the capabilities of your LCD monitor which can do 240Hz with no issues if its advertised specs are to be believed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

I have the Vizio M3D550KD and was wondering if this is a common feature for 3D HDTV’s already or no?
No it isnt a known feature as there is no official BD spec for 48hz playback in the home.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

I know many Blu-Rays have 24Hz but do some already have this 48Hz?
Pretty much every BD released since 2008 that was encoded at 1080p is 1080p/24 but since there is no official BD-spec for 48fps at home, this isnt available yet and wont be for some time, if ever, as The Hobbit is the first movie to be shot in this format and it has already met with a lot of resistance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

And if it is indeed common was the film actually captured using a higher frame rate or was that part of the 3D conversion process or is it just my TV doing the up conversion in frame rate?
The Hobbit was shot at 48fps per eye in 3D on set..



BTW, Alice In Wonderland was a post-conversion and not even considered a good example of it.
You can check out this site for future reference.
Edited by nikonf5 - 12/20/12 at 6:47am
post #3 of 5
You can already do it with frame interpolation can you not? I hate frame interpolation for movies and TV.
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonf5 View Post


BTW, Alice In Wonderland was a post-conversion and not even considered a good example of it.
You can check out this site for future reference.

Actually Alice in Wonderland while yes it is a post converted 3D it is considerably one of the best post converted 3D 2nd to only Titanic 3D.
post #5 of 5
The 3D Blu-ray format frame buffer consists of a single 1920x2125 buffer consisting of the left and right eye 1920x1080 screen frames and the additional space is for the audio and other non displayed information.
used for audio and misc information. The 24fps cameras actually have their lens open for 1/48th of a second to avoid motion blur.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › 3D HDTV's at 48Hz/fps