or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › Krell EVO 707 and Krell 1200U is there much difference?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Krell EVO 707 and Krell 1200U is there much difference?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Comparing the Krell EVO 707 and the 1200U might sound stupid as the 1200U costs 14000 Euros in Europe and the 707 EVO 30000 Euros.

But is there much difference in sound and detail between them? How do they compare for example with the new ADA or DATASAT?
Edited by MV_Cinema - 12/23/12 at 1:51am
post #2 of 29
Thread Starter 
Sorry if my question seems dumb, but it's something i would like to know if somebody here has experience.
Tank You all
post #3 of 29
I have never heard the 707, but I owned a 1200. I have the RS20i and purely on sound quality, to my ears the RS20i is a winner.
post #4 of 29
Thread Starter 
Sometimes the price it's not all...BUT buying the Krell Set is more expensive than the DATASAT set.

I think that i also should buy the RS20i and their Amplifier RA7300. I love the Krell but it's a huge difference...BUT And the question is: WILL IT SOUND BETTER?
Perhaps not....
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

Sometimes the price it's not all...BUT buying the Krell Set is more expensive than the DATASAT set.
I think that i also should buy the RS20i and their Amplifier RA7300. I love the Krell but it's a huge difference...BUT And the question is: WILL IT SOUND BETTER?
Perhaps not....

Always a subjective point. I have not tried the DataSat RS20i with the DataSat amps, so I can't tell you how that sounds to me.
post #6 of 29
i think it depends on the room and speakers layout
and even on the kind of listening (music, movies etc)
I have chosed Ada Reference for the presence of trinnov
and the full digital path between the very complete ada section
(with all surround modes) and the great drc capable of 2d/3d remapping.
I am totally on movies and some br concert and hdtv(with some changes in room layout.. no at screen etc)
post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
I am totally into movies, and ADA for me has an issue, doesn't has the support like DATASAT.
And if ADA could deliver a PRE/PRO without those holes for "rack mount" i might go for it, but is might be good, but it's kind of ugly like that.

THey should have other options like Black, Gold, Silver etxc...with luxury finishes. For the price we pay it could be made of gold.
post #8 of 29
Actually I thought you were talking about sound quality..

aesthetically I don't like the 707.
I love the Reference because of videos, images and trinnov setup graphical interface..
visible on its touch screen.
but most of all the word CINEMA in front of it is so cool for me:)
just irresistible:p when someone asks me which processor do you have?
answering CINEMA reference is something special:D
I have ordered the cinema reference black and without handles
but handles apart I like the ada professional look.
aesthetically for me the important is to avoid silver and light gray
and that's why I don't like the writing datasat even not centered like the touch screen.
for similar reasons I don't like trinnov mc...
but aesthetic is something very subjective...
of course anyway
these are not the main reasons to choose certain pieces of equipment..
even because you can always find an hand made solution to cover certain parts..
I have everything on the back side of the room in a hand made piece of forniture
but I'm sure that listening to movies I will forget these aspects..
Edited by Grifo - 12/25/12 at 5:26am
post #9 of 29
Thread Starter 
I am refering to all, sound quality and looks of course. I hate to see ugly pieces in my Cinema Room, everything has to be in harmony.
But the ADA without the handles doesn't have holes on the sides right? Where did you buy it in Europe? Is it Multi Voltage? How muxh it costs here in Europe?

Do you have ADA Amps also?
post #10 of 29
good to know.. reading your previous posts you spoke about sound quality...
anyway look is very important for me as well and for that reason I deigned with
my architect room and forniture, (everything inspired to Morocco)....
everything will be mounted in reretractable racks inside the piece of forniture on the back
and all the equipment will be hidden inside it. Projector lift, inwall speakers and so on will help to keep everything
almost invisible... everything controlled from ipad and amx. just to say that I have the same attention to these aspects and think that there is the way to reach good aesthetic results if you are patient...
when I'll open the forniture doors I'll look at the screens on the Reference before the little holes:p
and you can always hide them with little plates if you see them...

I don't know if ada without handles has the holes on the sides but it's not a problem for me..
at this price level sound quality comes first otherwise I would have bought something else..
once listened to trinnov I think you could go beyond holes...
I bought it in Italy at Plasmapan and yes I have ordered ada amps because they match perfectly with my speakers
(ptm series better than mpa during my try, comparison)
post #11 of 29
Thread Starter 
Yes i saw their website. You have a pretty good Processor my friend.
But unlike you i don't like to hide my equipment, i want the equipment to be seen when i enter my cinema room and i love to see all those pieces. That's one of the reasons i might fo to DATASAT or KRELL.
Krell is a hell of a machine, built like a rock and their amps, specially the 600e and 900e monoblocks for the Front Speakers and their 403 (3 channel) Amplifier for the Center and Rear Speakers are much more powerful than ADA or DATASAT can deliver.
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

their amps, specially the 600e and 900e monoblocks for the Front Speakers and their 403 (3 channel) Amplifier for the Center and Rear Speakers are much more powerful than ADA or DATASAT can deliver.

power is not the only element to take into consideration when choosing an amp..
with my speakers I don't need much power, anyway with 500000 microfarad to be spent I think I won't have problems at all..
trinnov does the magic I need.
post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
I use Klipsch Reference, what speakers do you use?
post #14 of 29
Klipsch thx ultra 2 system
post #15 of 29
In Europe I doubt anyone has more experience than me with these platforms. My experience centre in London is 20 mins from DataSat and we have distributed ADA for several years. We have offices most other countries in Europe as well.

Klipsch is a nice speaker but possibly a bit unrefined if you are thinking of Reference!
post #16 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceenhad View Post

In Europe I doubt anyone has more experience than me with these platforms. My experience centre in London is 20 mins from DataSat and we have distributed ADA for several years. We have offices most other countries in Europe as well.
Klipsch is a nice speaker but possibly a bit unrefined if you are thinking of Reference!

And according to your experience how do you compare DATASAT to ADA?
post #17 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifo View Post

Klipsch thx ultra 2 system

I use RF-7 II on Front together with RC-64 II on the Center, and RF-82 II on the Back. The sub i use the SW15.

I was about to buy the THX Ultra 2 set, but i've heard both and the sound is very similar, besides i like the esthetics of my speakers, the THX set is very much like "boxes", don't get me wrong.
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceenhad View Post

In Europe I doubt anyone has more experience than me with these platforms. My experience centre in London is 20 mins from DataSat and we have distributed ADA for several years. We have offices most other countries in Europe as well.
Klipsch is a nice speaker but possibly a bit unrefined if you are thinking of Reference!

thank you for the"suggestion".
I tried many speakers before choosing the ones I own..
for movies (as I am totally into movies) I have always preferred their sound to the one of other more prestigious speakers (with the exeption of JBL SYNTHESIS K2.. just fantastic)
that said I know there are better and much better speakers than mine...

I have listened to my speakers with many preamplifiers or just av receivers...
and I have never heard them sound so great as when I did with Ada (rhapsody +teq)
trinnov impressed me so much that I have decided to get the best from it with a full digital path for all my sources, so I bought the Reference.
too much for my klipsch? maybe but I am trying to get the best from them because they are the speakers I love..
then.. who knows.. perhaps I'll change them with other ones in the future..
now I am happy and looking forward to listen my new system...

ps
anyway I need speakers to be placed behind my at screen
because that's cinema for me...
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

I use RF-7 II on Front together with RC-64 II on the Center, and RF-82 II on the Back. The sub i use the SW15.
I was about to buy the THX Ultra 2 set, but i've heard both and the sound is very similar, besides i like the esthetics of my speakers, the THX set is very much like "boxes", don't get me wrong.

sorry but....absolutly not. I have compared RF and thx ultra 2 set side by side with other people:
no match!! specially for movies..

I agree, they are ugly but the difference is that
I can put them inside the wall and behind the screen..
what I could not with RF series (for me as ugly as mine.... actually I don't like speakers in general...tongue.gif)
as surround back I bought the inwall version
and Side surround are painted in the same color of the wall
post #20 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifo View Post

sorry but....absolutly not. I have compared RF and thx ultra 2 set side by side with other people:
no match!! specially for movies..
I agree, they are ugly but the difference is that
I can put them inside the wall and behind the screen..
what I could not with RF series (for me as ugly as mine.... actually I don't like speakers in general...tongue.gif)
as surround back I bought the inwall version
and Side surround are painted in the same color of the wall

You heard them side by side, this system i am telling you? And there is lots of difference?
One thing is if you tell me you love your system and all of that, but that you heard the RF-7 II and RF-82 on the back and all of that i don't believe because you wouldn't say that if you actually heard them.

Or maybe you heard them with some crap Receiver...
Edited by MV_Cinema - 12/26/12 at 12:06am
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

You heard them side by side, this system i am telling you? And there is lots of difference?
One thing is if you tell me you love your system and all of that, but that you heard the RF-7 II and RF-82 on the back and all of that i don't believe because you wouldn't say that if you actually heard them.
Or maybe you heard them with some crap Receiver...

I heard RF7 (LCR) (the seller preferred rf7 to rf7II) and RF-82 (LCR) because I don't like to mix different series,
side by side with my system but just because the seller
wanted to show me the differences with the ultra2 set...
more dynamic and a much more open and deep sound stage..
not a little difference..
of course all the comparisons were done with the same Arcam.

but I know everything is subjective.
If up to you your system side by side (otherwise you can't state a true verdict)
sounds similar or even better, well, that's fine..
.... and if you don't believe me it is your problem.. tongue.gif


ps
if you want to know the differences between Datasat and Ada (even if I think you are looking for someone who tells you that Datasat is the best, over krell and Ada) you can read the side by side comparison that Dan Francis made. there is a thread for that.
Now he has not the rhapsody any more
but the Reference and the Rs20i.
in the Reference thread that I have started
there are some of his thoughts.
He should be the only one, at the moment, to have made such a comparison.
Edited by Grifo - 12/26/12 at 3:44am
post #22 of 29
Thread Starter 
What i think is that everyone of us should have what make us feel satisfied.

I like your Pre/Pro but i don't love it....i might go for the Krell.

Krell is something very very special, it's like the Crown Jewel of Sound.

However i am curious to listen to DATASAT RS20i and their AMPs...they seem to blast.
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

What i think is that everyone of us should have what make us feel satisfied.
I like your Pre/Pro but i don't love it....i might go for the Krell.
Krell is something very very special, it's like the Crown Jewel of Sound.
However i am curious to listen to DATASAT RS20i and their AMPs...they seem to blast.

Wise sentence. But you are evaluating without comparing the products (only suppositions and preconceived ideas)
Acting this way would be dangerous if you really wanted to buy something..
I cannot give you an advice between Krell and Datasat just because I have not listen to them and compared..
Listen to Meridian as well. Many here prefer it over the Krell

Ps
You don't need to tell me that you don't love the Reference.
tongue.gif
you have doubts.. Not me:D

Boring discussion.
Good luck man
post #24 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifo View Post

Wise sentence. But you are evaluating without comparing the products (only suppositions and preconceived ideas)
Acting this way would be dangerous if you really wanted to buy something..
I cannot give you an advice between Krell and Datasat just because I have not listen to them and compared..
Listen to Meridian as well. Many here prefer it over the Krell
Ps
You don't need to tell me that you don't love the Reference.
tongue.gif
you have doubts.. Not me:D
Boring discussion.
Good luck man

Yes you got your point, but you also did not liste to the Krell or DATASAT so your choice was also a preconceived idea wink.gif
Anyway we all are different and that is a good thing.

I don't like Meridian, in fact i have the idea Meridian doesn't make their own products, they rebadge them. It's not something like Krell...

When we talk of this League of Equipment we always think the Best but we must be wise choosing because i've hear many things ultra expensive like Classe sounding worst than my living room Pioneer SC-LX90 Susano. This is a 5000 Euros only Amplifier but beats 20000 Euros equipment...
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

Yes you got your point, but you also did not liste to the Krell or DATASAT so your choice was also a preconceived idea wink.gif
Anyway we all are different and that is a good thing.
I don't like Meridian, in fact i have the idea Meridian doesn't make their own products, they rebadge them. It's not something like Krell...
When we talk of this League of Equipment we always think the Best but we must be wise choosing because i've hear many things ultra expensive like Classe sounding worst than my living room Pioneer SC-LX90 Susano. This is a 5000 Euros only Amplifier but beats 20000 Euros equipment...

You are totally wrong. I have not preconceived ideas just because
I have had a completely different approach in my choice.
After listening a very good drc I have decided to explore this field.
A friend of mine told me to listen to Ada with Trinnov.
I knew that Trinnov is commonly considered the best room correction system and the only to
Perform 2d/3d remapping but anyway I decided to try it.
Result: I was shocked from it and Ada matched perfectly with my speakers.
My consultant had the same opinion after the try.
He is involved with Datasat but admits that remapping is something special
And adviced me to go on with trinnov, so I started to explore the best way to benefit
From trinnov (and Reference is the answer keeping the sound and all the feautures
Of Ada (like its surround modes).
I don't wonder like you which is the best among several brand giving generic answers after 2 days based on what people usually say.
Before deciding I tried the system and spooke with people with great experience like Curt Hoyt, Dan Francis, Richard Stoeger(sorry if I write it wrong) Edorr and others.
Only the Reference, among prepros allows a full digital path to trinnov.
Probably there are better equipments but
Is this your thread or mine?
You already have an answer? Good!!
Stop the thread and buy
But remember Susano could be better:D
post #26 of 29
Thread Starter 
Enjoy your unit but don't put it in the top of the tower as the best without listening to Krell or DATASAT.
Besides this thread that i started didn't mean to put ADA on a pedestal, as i told you ADA for me is a "NO GO", it's ugly and it costs to much money for such a brand.
post #27 of 29
Maybe you can't understand that differentely from you
I am not making a ranking and don't need to know who is the first or second.
These are silly thoughts for me.
Reference that for me is very beautiful is the best for what I am looking for:
the best pre to match in the best way to trinnnov and I got the answer from
technically prepared people that have compared the products you are talking about. I don't know
it's the best of all, I never said that and I don't care. And I haven't asked for your opinion.
Said this, i find very rude insisting and denigrating the product
of someone who gave you its point of you.
Once you said you don't agree with me there's no need
to say over and over that you don't like it or is bad almost trying
to convince me of i don't know what...
I haven't asked neither I looked for your point of view that is irrelevant to me.
I would like to stop you on talking about me, about me and Ada.
Krell and Datasat are great products, so buy them both and you don't get wrong for sure.
post #28 of 29
Thread Starter 
If you took my comments as denigrating ADA i apologize, i have no right to do that, i just don't like it. But who am I? This is just my opinion ....

Please don't take it as ofensive, it was not my intention.

I don't put my Gear in racks as i hate to see it hidden, this equipment is to be seen and to bread, ventilation is very important, and ADA asthetics is a bit ugly to me, looks like industrial.

With Krell and DATASAT is a bit different, but Krell is the winner in that matter.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

If you took my comments as denigrating ADA i apologize, i have no right to do that, i just don't like it. But who am I? This is just my opinion ....
Please don't take it as ofensive, it was not my intention.
I don't put my Gear in racks as i hate to see it hidden, this equipment is to be seen and to bread, ventilation is very important, and ADA asthetics is a bit ugly to me, looks like industrial.
With Krell and DATASAT is a bit different, but Krell is the winner in that matter.

in a thread where you wrote in the first post :

".....But is there much difference in sound and detail between them? How do they compare for example with the new ADA or DATASAT?"

it sounds strange that you talk just about aesthetics and
it sounds even offensive when you
keep on repeating the same consideration (Ada is ugly..) in each post.
once you told that... why to repeat it each time?

Everyone is free to think different (people love chocolate, people hate it)..
you hate Ada; I love it
you want always see your equipment to admire it; I want it hidden like in a cinema keeping the opportunity to see it when I want/need (and of curse I have a system for ventilation..)

BUT is there a sense, in a discussion where you (not me) ask about differences in sound and detail between Krell Ada and Datasat,
in talking only about aesthetic of Ada, refusing to discuss about the differences you wrote about, mentioning (you, not me) Ada as well?

so, please talk about these differences, given that you are so sure of Krell, Datasat ......... and the ugly:p Ada (or even trinnov)..
It could be interesting..
probably, to be so sure about where it worths to put the money, you have compared these three brands together..
please describe the sound of these three brands and detail as well... or their value is just in the exterior aspect?
are they preamplifiers or just ornament?


because otherwise the title of this thread should be: "the more beautiful pre between Krell and Datasat: the reasons to avoid Ada"

at this point, at least, talk about Krell an Datasat (and correct your post, erasing Ada)
or give someone who knows/heard them the opportunity to explain which are those differences..
Edited by Grifo - 12/27/12 at 10:21am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › Krell EVO 707 and Krell 1200U is there much difference?