or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › NE Spring Speaker Shootout GTG - Date Poll and Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NE Spring Speaker Shootout GTG - Date Poll and Discussion - Page 17

Poll Results: Which date works best for you?

Poll expired: Jan 5, 2013  
  • 35% (5)
    Saturday, April 6th
  • 57% (8)
    Saturday, April 13th
  • 7% (1)
    Saturday, March 30th
14 Total Votes  
post #481 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Sorry guys....just wondering if any last min openings for those on standby?

I'm actually the keeper of the alternates list, but thus far no one has dropped out so I haven't had occasion to use it just yet. That's not to say they won't, but no one has at this point.
post #482 of 935
Darn it! Those vodoo dolls are not working!
post #483 of 935
Thread Starter 
The SVS ultra towers and center have arrived safely! I hope you guys enjoy these because man they were a PITA to unbox and move around! I will need help for sure packing them back up....unless someone wants to step up and buy them. biggrin.gif






Edited by Gorilla83 - 3/23/13 at 2:21pm
post #484 of 935
Sick!
post #485 of 935
Ummmm, wow..... you sure your going to let those go gorilla? They look rather good setup there.
post #486 of 935
Curious how you guys are going to rate the SVS. One of the few speakers I have actually heard in the line up... I have my own opinions but I will wait for yours.
post #487 of 935
Yea, and that's just the little system he has upstairs. The big stuff is in his basement theater!
post #488 of 935
That looks insane eek.gif. But, If I can make a small suggestion redface.gif. If you want to really hear what those speakers can do, and hear what kind of center soundstage they have, I really suggest pulling them forward so nothing is in between them. They don't have to be all the way out so it looks stupid. Just enough so they are not right next to that equipment "rack". Mine aren't all the way out in front but they are forward enough. Check out the first pic in my system thread. Trust me, I had my old 927's between a huge wall unit and when I pulled the forward, the change was not subtle. I suggest you just try it even before the GTG. Just pull them out a bit so they are a lttle in front of that unit and play some music. I would be very surprised if you did not hear a difference for the better.
post #489 of 935
As a new owner of a set of SVS towers it is cool that they are going to be a part of this GTG. Looking forward to your impressions. I found that mine sound better with a bit of toe in.

Also, I sympathize with you having to move them, they are hefty. Luckily, I only had to slide them downstairs to my basement after the delivery guys put them inside my front door.
post #490 of 935
Thread Starter 
Got the SVS set up and calibrated. Been experimenting with placement, toe-in, and different YPAO EQ settings as well. The low end is very impressive and they could easily be used for music without any subs at all. SVS rates them down to 28hz +/- 3DB which is right on point with what I've been hearing. They are quite a bit less sensitive than what I'm used to but have no trouble getting loud with my Acurus pumping clean power into them. Got a couple hours on them now and watching Argo with the wife later to further the break in. smile.gif They blend super nice with my dual empires too. I brought a buddy over to listen to them today as he's in the market for new speakers and he was impressed. More to come, you guys should enjoy these!
post #491 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

They are quite a bit less sensitive than what I'm used to but have no trouble getting loud with my Acurus pumping clean power into them.

Do you notice this in playback, such as less dynamic range or is it just a trim level thing after cal?
post #492 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Ok guys. A Conundrum if you will. How bad do you all want me to drive 10 hours to hear the LS6's? They fit in my car, barely, but I have no room for a bag, maybe a toothbrush. So I will need some fresh cloths from anyone wearing size 34 jeans and and large shirt if you want to hear them. Otherwise I am flying, so you get no dice....

Otherwise I can bring my own clothes and the td12x SEOS stuff if I do decide to drive instead of fly....

hah at some point i nearly took the invite to this GTG, i was considering signing up, hauling LS6 there and yorkville u215s, but realized, it will be a big mess to load, and unload, and drive a few hrs! I'm sure there are curious folks out there that would love to hear LS6 speakers though.
post #493 of 935
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

Do you notice this in playback, such as less dynamic range or is it just a trim level thing after cal?

I was referring just to the trim settings in this case. I had the gain on my Empires set around 12 oclock which resulted in the sub at -10 (max) and the speakers (front stage) at +9, haha. I backed the sub gains down a bit and now they're around +5 - still the highest I've seen on my setups. smile.gif
post #494 of 935
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

hah at some point i nearly took the invite to this GTG, i was considering signing up, hauling LS6 there and yorkville u215s, but realized, it will be a big mess to load, and unload, and drive a few hrs! I'm sure there are curious folks out there that would love to hear LS6 speakers though.

Man, if there would be any speaker out there to fully complement our lineup it would be your U215's. biggrin.gif There is actually a good chance of selling them as well!
Edited by Gorilla83 - 3/26/13 at 11:34am
post #495 of 935
agreed, I have always been quite intrigued by the yorkvilles
post #496 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

hah at some point i nearly took the invite to this GTG, i was considering signing up, hauling LS6 there and yorkville u215s, but realized, it will be a big mess to load, and unload, and drive a few hrs! I'm sure there are curious folks out there that would love to hear LS6 speakers though.
I'm taking my LS6's to the Central Iowa Spring Audio GTG.
post #497 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

agreed, I have always been quite intrigued by the yorkvilles

+1

Plus the Danley SH-50 and the DR250's that MK owns...

Would LOVE to hear how they stack up against the Noesis...
post #498 of 935
I can bring a projector or three if anyone's interested.

If there were room left that is tongue.gif
post #499 of 935
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351carlo View Post

I can bring a projector or three if anyone's interested.

If there were room left that is tongue.gif

Projector in the living room, kitchen, and basement? biggrin.gif
post #500 of 935
I was reading RMK's theater thread over at audioholics and was reading one of his posts where he referenced a review of the Noesis vs. LS6 "from a knowledgable fellow."

Good read, but what I really took away from the post was the demo material that he was using.

I'm really interested in this song (if you can call it that): Master of Chinese Percussion - Poem of Chinese Drum (K2 HD mastered CD)

I've actually downloaded a copy a few months back, but the low bit version I was able to get ahold of turned out to be atrocious. It's a very long piece of material, and I'm not sure what 45 seconds would be the best for our application, but I truly believe that this would be stellar to show the "dynamics" of each contender. Some people may have a different definition of dynamics. I am referring to dynamics in the context of level changing. Does that make sense? There are some very subtle (quiet) moments in the track followed by some very pronounced (loud) moments.

I found the Burmester Demo CD mentioned in RMK's post on EBay and had a laugh.

Has anyone heard this material in it's full (lossless) glory?
post #501 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Projector in the living room, kitchen, and basement? biggrin.gif

Night outdoor projecting and ground plane auditioning for the overflow bleachers?

Your neighbors would LOVE that...
post #502 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Night outdoor projecting and ground plane auditioning for the overflow bleachers?

Your neighbors would LOVE that...

His neighbors would bring beer.

I vote projector in the garage. I'll move the Cadillac out of the way.
post #503 of 935
My shopping list for Costco is currently at:
1 case Yuengling
1 18 pack Guiness sampler (Guinness, Smithwicks, Bass (or was it harp?)
1 bottle of Cap'n

Unless I hear other requests....
post #504 of 935
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post


I'm really interested in this song (if you can call it that): Master of Chinese Percussion - Poem of Chinese Drum (K2 HD mastered CD)


+1 - I noticed the Iowa/KC guys refer to this clip often as well, must be pretty good material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351carlo View Post

His neighbors would bring beer.

This is true, at least for my immediate neighbors. They would get a kick out of it. cool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

My shopping list for Costco is currently at:
1 case Yuengling
1 18 pack Guiness sampler (Guinness, Smithwicks, Bass (or was it harp?)
1 bottle of Cap'n

Unless I hear other requests....

Sounds good to me. cool.gif
post #505 of 935
Thread Starter 
Guys - just like last October if anyone has some stuff they want to sell, by all means bring it along to market to the group. Feel free to post in here for interest as well.

With that said, a good buddy of mine (351Carlo above) is selling a mint JVC RS45 projector. I (mistakenly) demoed this bad boy last weekend and now I've got the itch to change something. Damnit. I've simply went too far with spending on this hobby so I'm going to have to pass in fear of losing a testicle or two. I know he's always looking for interesting trades as well for similar gear, sexual favors, WOMD, etc. biggrin.gif

Link for those interested:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465419/jvc-dla-rs45-projector
post #506 of 935
Good lord, I don't have enough room in my car!

Emotiva xpa5
crown xls1500 drivecore
jbl4648A's (pair)
maybe the LS6's haha. Drive up and leave em with a new owner? Why not? haha
Denon 3311
Denon 1611UD 3d BD player
Two tempest x-2 15's
Two RE XXX18's

Haha, take your pick. I really need to dump some stuff so I can fund something else exciting.
post #507 of 935
i see a van rental in your future beast
post #508 of 935
Thread Starter 
Better get the 26 footer....

post #509 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Guys - just like last October if anyone has some stuff they want to sell, by all means bring it along to market to the group. Feel free to post in here for interest as well.

With that said, a good buddy of mine (351Carlo above) is selling a mint JVC RS45 projector. I (mistakenly) demoed this bad boy last weekend and now I've got the itch to change something. Damnit. I've simply went too far with spending on this hobby so I'm going to have to pass in fear of losing a testicle or two. I know he's always looking for interesting trades as well for similar gear, sexual favors, WOMD, etc. biggrin.gif

Link for those interested:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465419/jvc-dla-rs45-projector

We have some B-stock RS45's that arrived yesterday. If anybody is in the market. smile.gif
Reply
Reply
post #510 of 935
more like rs46ers biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I ain't drivin' no U-haul 10 hours one way, not to mention pullin up to the house like Uncle Eddy... "Welp someone needs to buy all this stuff so I have somewhere to sleep tonight!!"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › NE Spring Speaker Shootout GTG - Date Poll and Discussion