or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › NE Spring Speaker Shootout GTG - Date Poll and Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NE Spring Speaker Shootout GTG - Date Poll and Discussion - Page 30

Poll Results: Which date works best for you?

Poll expired: Jan 5, 2013  
  • 35% (5)
    Saturday, April 6th
  • 57% (8)
    Saturday, April 13th
  • 7% (1)
    Saturday, March 30th
14 Total Votes  
post #871 of 935
Had a great time! A great bunch of guys, enjoyed every minute and hope to do it again someday.
Want to give a big thanks to all the guys that put it together. Thank to Andrew for hosting and Jim for his part.
Also a big thanks to Mark Seaton and Jeff Permanian. Also a thanks to Ben for spinning the records wink.gif
post #872 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Daaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I sure wish I had 12grand to buy those!...lol
Hey J, if you ever get the scratch, get them!! The Cat 12's were incredible!! Ran a second sweep in full range and they blew me away! Deep pounding bass, just filled the entire room.
post #873 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Hey J, if you ever get the scratch, get them!! The Cat 12's were incredible!! Ran a second sweep in full range and they blew me away! Deep pounding bass, just filled the entire room.

How did the 212HT's compare to the Cat 12's?
post #874 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

How did the 212HT's compare to the Cat 12's?
I did not sit up front for the Cat 12's audition, but I believe Chopshop, Jake gave me his front row seat for the Noesis audition and I just could not believe how good these things sound. I did not want it to end!! Again the full range sweep with the Cat 12 was incredible. Amazing detail and big bass, did not matter where you were in the room. We did put the Noesis back on for a few more sweeps with an amp and ran some H/T clips with the S2's and I was speechless! I learned one thing today, I love S2's!! To really compare the two is impossible for me . Two of the best speaker builders in the business displaying their best. I will say, I am very happy with the speakers I picked and cannot wait to get theme set up.
post #875 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I did not sit up front for the Cat 12's audition, but I believe Chopshop, Jake gave me his front row seat for the Noesis audition and I just could not believe how good these things sound. I did not want it to end!! Again the full range sweep with the Cat 12 was incredible. Amazing detail and big bass, did not matter where you were in the room. We did put the Noesis back on for a few more sweeps with an amp and ran some H/T clips with the S2's and I was speechless! I learned one thing today, I love S2's!! To really compare the two is impossible for me . Two of the best speaker builders in the business displaying their best. I will say, I am very happy with the speakers I picked and cannot wait to get theme set up.

HAHA sounds like there's going to be some XV30's for sale in the classified section soon!
post #876 of 935
Thread Starter 
AWESOME day! Thanks to all who came out. Straight up 14+ hours of audio nirvana today alone. Results thread coming tomorrow. biggrin.gif
post #877 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

AWESOME day! Thanks to all who came out. Straight up 14+ hours of audio nirvana today alone. Results thread coming tomorrow. biggrin.gif

It is tomorrow. Anxiously awaiting the results.
post #878 of 935
Awesome feedback so far guys. Looking forward to more. smile.gif
post #879 of 935
Are you guys capturing, (did you capture) any frequency responses for each audition to compare?
post #880 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

How did the 212HT's compare to the Cat 12's?

Cat12's straight out of the box...full range has to be experienced in person.

AVR alone will not push the Noesis to their full capability and I think the Cats outside them across the board when pushed.

But...

After extensive testing of the Cat's we broke out the EP4000 for the No's. The difference ~700 watts of amplification made was UNDENIABLE. Gave the No's a noticeable headroom advantage over the Cat's when dedicated subs were a part of the equation. Notable...not substantial
Edited by popalock - 4/14/13 at 5:41am
post #881 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Are you guys capturing, (did you capture) any frequency responses for each audition to compare?

Ironmike pulled some Archaea graphs. biggrin.gif
post #882 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob from NJ View Post

Is the frequency for the Arx5 and SVS anechoic or in-room? Looking at their specs. on their website, I could not figure this out.

I am "assuming" they were anechoic. Don't think floor standing would not be able to hit at least in the upper 30's with an in room response but I have been wrong before ...especially when I assume something.
post #883 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post


AVR alone will not push the Noesis to their full capability l
I agree. biggrin.gifwink.gif
Chris W
post #884 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

I am "assuming" they were anechoic. Don't think floor standing would not be able to hit at least in the upper 30's with an in room response but I have been wrong before ...especially when I assume something.

The A5's spec is not padded with room gain (notwithstanding its double-throw SplitGap woofers.)

Great thread, people. It's always good when ears-on fun supercedes specs and graphs diversions.
post #885 of 935
One other quick note.

IMHO, the difference in capability below 80Hz that the Cat's brought to the table in full range testing was MUCH more substantial than the extra headroom gained by amping the Noesis.

I was told that the Cat's pretty much act as a SubM when called upon for full range duties. Hearing this comment from me or anyone else is one thing, but you have to experience it for yourself for some perspective. I don't have near the auditioning experience as a lot of others, but never in my life have I heard full rangers with THAT capability. Gorilla's PJ screen was fluttering with just the L/R Cat's engaged. Just....

I would say 95% of our community would be more than content running these full range and never have the need for a sub. It's really hard not to become a "fanboy" once you've heard these in person.

That said, for my particular application I would still spring for the No's I was choosing between the two. I'm fine in the sub department, so the extra headroom uptop would be right up my alley.

My input is going to be limited from here out because I have some personal issues that need my attention, but I will try to post up a bit more when time permits.

Andrew. Always a pleasure my friend. Thanks for everything. Another awesome GTG in the books.
post #886 of 935
Had a great time listening and learning about all of the great loudspeaker options out there today. I was enlightened for sure. Andrew, you are a great host. Thanks for doing this. Also thanks to all who helped unload and load my Legacy's. They are a handful.

The oxtail stew was a treat and we got to listen to music while we sampled brews LOL

Here are a couple of videos from the "show" just to give those who could not attend, a feel for what it was like.



Edited by mhrischuk - 4/14/13 at 6:40am
post #887 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

One other quick note.

IMHO, the difference in capability below 80Hz that the Cat's brought to the table in full range testing was MUCH more substantial than the extra headroom gained by amping the Noesis.

I was told that the Cat's pretty much act as a SubM when called upon for full range duties. Hearing this comment from me or anyone else is one thing, but you have to experience it for yourself for some perspective. I don't have near the auditioning experience as a lot of others, but never in my life have I heard full rangers with THAT capability. Gorilla's PJ screen was fluttering with just the L/R Cat's engaged. Just....

I would say 95% of our community would be more than content running these full range and never have the need for a sub. It's really hard not to become a "fanboy" once you've heard these in person.

That said, for my particular application I would still spring for the No's I was choosing between the two. I'm fine in the sub department, so the extra headroom uptop would be right up my alley.

My input is going to be limited from here out because I have some personal issues that need my attention, but I will try to post up a bit more when time permits.

Andrew. Always a pleasure my friend. Thanks for everything. Another awesome GTG in the books.

This is very interesting. I remember Mark saying the Cat12C could be run full range with deep extension. I wonder how deep they play...

How did the upper frequencies compare between the Cat12Cs and the Noesis 212HTs?

Also, how did the Yorkville U215s sound?
post #888 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

One other quick note.

IMHO, the difference in capability below 80Hz that the Cat's brought to the table in full range testing was MUCH more substantial than the extra headroom gained by amping the Noesis.

I was told that the Cat's pretty much act as a SubM when called upon for full range duties. Hearing this comment from me or anyone else is one thing, but you have to experience it for yourself for some perspective. I don't have near the auditioning experience as a lot of others, but never in my life have I heard full rangers with THAT capability. Gorilla's PJ screen was fluttering with just the L/R Cat's engaged. Just....

I would say 95% of our community would be more than content running these full range and never have the need for a sub. It's really hard not to become a "fanboy" once you've heard these in person.

That said, for my particular application I would still spring for the No's I was choosing between the two. I'm fine in the sub department, so the extra headroom uptop would be right up my alley.

My input is going to be limited from here out because I have some personal issues that need my attention, but I will try to post up a bit more when time permits.

Andrew. Always a pleasure my friend. Thanks for everything. Another awesome GTG in the books.

I echo the comments on the Cats and Noesis...The Cat12s were flat out silly when run full range, and as Autstin said, I have never heard a full range speaker that can do what these did when run without subs. Both them and the Cats seemed to have limitless headroom and unbelievable clarity.

I made a comment to Jeff when the Noesis were playing that I cannot belive how many speakers I have heard that cost multiples of them, and just can't even come close to the performance. Both Jeff and Mark have done something really special with these.

Big thanks to Andrew as well. He is a seriously gracious host for having us all and letting us invade his home for two days. Great bunch of guys at the GTG, glad to have met and got the chance to chat with you all.
post #889 of 935
i have like 4 pages of raw notes that i have to write up. they will show up this evening. same with photos.
A lot of people were taking photos and vids, hopefully they will all post
we do have sweeps. Ironmike was taking them

the cat12s extend down to 20 or slightly lower when run full range, you wont get all the ULF with them but they are impressive. Mark was cranking the Prodigy the wall at the other end of the room was bouncing
post #890 of 935
Man I keep refreshing the page hoping for more impressions. How did the LS6 compare to the Cats and Noesis?
post #891 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post

Man I keep refreshing the page hoping for more impressions. How did the LS6 compare to the Cats and Noesis?

Not really a fair comparo in the sense that the Cats and Noesis were both run at higher volumes for much of the demo, and the LS6 were early on and still level matched. That sounded great, just needed some juice to get going. I would really liked to have heard them with the EP going to them to see how they stretch their legs.
post #892 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

One other quick note.

IMHO, the difference in capability below 80Hz that the Cat's brought to the table in full range testing was MUCH more substantial than the extra headroom gained by amping the Noesis.

I was told that the Cat's pretty much act as a SubM when called upon for full range duties. Hearing this comment from me or anyone else is one thing, but you have to experience it for yourself for some perspective. I don't have near the auditioning experience as a lot of others, but never in my life have I heard full rangers with THAT capability. Gorilla's PJ screen was fluttering with just the L/R Cat's engaged. Just....

I would say 95% of our community would be more than content running these full range and never have the need for a sub. It's really hard not to become a "fanboy" once you've heard these in person.

That said, for my particular application I would still spring for the No's I was choosing between the two. I'm fine in the sub department, so the extra headroom uptop would be right up my alley.

My input is going to be limited from here out because I have some personal issues that need my attention, but I will try to post up a bit more when time permits.

Andrew. Always a pleasure my friend. Thanks for everything. Another awesome GTG in the books.
Well said!! I am still amazed at the bass output of the Cat 12's. I wanted to say the same thing about no subs needed in my post last night, but that would be a matter of taste and have to consider Andrews room is well treated.

With that said, I just cannot get those S2's out of my head. biggrin.gif
post #893 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Not really a fair comparo in the sense that the Cats and Noesis were both run at higher volumes for much of the demo, and the LS6 were early on and still level matched. That sounded great, just needed some juice to get going. I would really liked to have heard them with the EP going to them to see how they stretch their legs.
I felt the same way with the LS6, I would have liked to have heard the LS6 with more juice. The bass was very nice and they sounded very clean.
post #894 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Well said!! I am still amazed at the bass output of the Cat 12's. I wanted to say the same thing about no subs needed in my post last night, but that would be a matter of taste and have to consider Andrews room is well treated.

With that said, I just cannot get those S2's out of my head. biggrin.gif

The S2 pair was flat out silly with the up and down sweep. I see them in your future to complement those beautifull Noesis!
post #895 of 935
Thread Starter 
post #896 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

The S2 pair was flat out silly with the up and down sweep. I see them in your future to complement those beautifull Noesis!
Yeah I gotta get some stuff sold before I could even think about getting them. But it would be the best way to compliment the Noesis.
post #897 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

So pissed! Damn car

Sorry to hear that you had car trouble. There may be another event in the future though; several of us put the bug in Andrews ear, and that's all it usually takes to "help" him decide something is a good idea. tongue.gif
post #898 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansboston View Post

You guys are in for a real treat tomorrow for lunch... I am making a Guinness Oxtail beef stew that will likely be stuff of legend... just sayin' .. it has been slow cooking for 12 hours now, and will have about another 12 hours before we have lunch smile.gif

A pic of about 70% of the ingredients:


After about 11 hours of being slow-cooked:


After adding a few bottles of Guinness smile.gif :

That looks like a ton of work, but your stew was a huge success. The first batch disappeared almost instantly (and for those not in attendance, the "first batch" was several quarts worth!). One question; how much of the Guinness made it into the stew and how much went into the cook? tongue.gif
post #899 of 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Sorry to hear that you had car trouble. There may be another event in the future though; several of us put the bug in Andrews ear, and that's all it usually takes to "help" him decide something is a good idea. tongue.gif

Good to hear - I will definitely be interested if that should happen!
post #900 of 935
Had an awesome time listening to all of the speakers and finally meeting some of the guys on here.

Leave it to Andrew to put the upgrade bug in my ear. DIY AT screen anyone??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › NE Spring Speaker Shootout GTG - Date Poll and Discussion