or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › DVD-Audio care and cleaning disks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DVD-Audio care and cleaning disks

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Some of our DVD-A's got heavy use and honestly did not take the absolute best care of them. Reason being is well I'll just buy a replacement later on.

Well I could not find my Porcupine Tree In Absentia DVD-A...well it's 7 years old I'll just go buy another on Amazon, it was getting a bit rough around the edges anyways. Holy crap I think my DVD-A collection is now worth more than the equipment it's being played on.

The prices for good/out of print DVD-A's are crazy. Most of the ones I own are over $100 used right now on Amazon.

So we scoured the house and found my missing discs. My plan is to move to all digital, multi-channel FLAC but still seeing the best way to do it. In the meantime I'd like to clean up the discs I have.

They do not have scratches so much as blotches. Best way I can describe it is if you put a CD in the bathroom for a week with my wife you'd end up with hairspray all over the CD, its very similar to what you find on your sink/mirror after hair spray builds up over the course of a week. But its not hair spray. Alot of my DVD/CD's are like that.

Most were played for a long time on a Yamaha C950 multi disc player. Now I have a Oppo 83 and soon to get either a 103 or a Dune HD.

I want to clean/care for them the proper way because the value has risen so much on them. At least my cases and that are in perfect condition. I do not want to ruin the DVD-A either.

The marks do not seem to effect the sound but I have to see if DVD-A Extractor does error correction so I can see if there really is any damage.

Thanks
post #2 of 17
All DVDs have robust error correction, so if they play at all then the data is fine. (if the error correction fails the disc will stop playing)
Easy enough to make copies of them using any DVD ripping tool - rip to ISO and burn.

Edited to add: Same is true for ripping, if there is an uncorrectable error it will simply stop.
Edited by rdgrimes - 12/25/12 at 8:28pm
post #3 of 17
DVD-As cannot have the HD tracks ripped by standard ripping programs, they only rip the lossy portion. It takes DVD-A Extractor to rip the lossless portion of the disk.
post #4 of 17
^^^
Incorrect, You can rip a DVD-A to ISO. DVD Decrypter does it nicely.
post #5 of 17
What you get with that method is the lossy DVD tracks, not the DVD-A mix.
post #6 of 17
I guess I must be hallucinating when I play back my collection of full disc DVD-A ISO rips. rolleyes.gif

You can't play them on a PC, but any standard decryption tool can rip one to ISO.
Edited by rdgrimes - 1/3/13 at 6:00am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I guess I must be hallucinating when I play back my collection of full disc DVD-A ISO rips. rolleyes.gif
You can't play them on a PC, but any standard decryption tool can rip one to ISO.

Yep, DVDFab will also rip a DVD-A to ISO with all lossless and lossy tracks intact.

You can play the lossless tracks from the ISO on a pc using Foobar2000 with the DVD-A plug-in, and of course my favorite method, which is playing the ISO directly with an ISO-capable Oppo 93.

With the cost of replacing DVD-As, ripping DVD-As to ISO is a must for me. With the ISO, you can also burn a backup copy if you prefer to stick with playing discs or if you're not lucky enough to have an Oppo with ISO playback.
post #8 of 17
AnyDVD also rips them nicely. I think I used DVDFab to rip mine too. I have backups on HDD, and DVD-R.
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

Yep, DVDFab will also rip a DVD-A to ISO with all lossless and lossy tracks intact.
You can play the lossless tracks from the ISO on a pc using Foobar2000 with the DVD-A plug-in, and of course my favorite method, which is playing the ISO directly with an ISO-capable Oppo 93.
With the cost of replacing DVD-As, ripping DVD-As to ISO is a must for me. With the ISO, you can also burn a backup copy if you prefer to stick with playing discs or if you're not lucky enough to have an Oppo with ISO playback.

My 103 will be here today and I'll be spending my weekend getting all of them converted.

I'd actually prefer the ISO method because then you get the complete disc versus just the music.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post

My 103 will be here today and I'll be spending my weekend getting all of them converted.
I'd actually prefer the ISO method because then you get the complete disc versus just the music.

Keep in mind that the Oppo 103 will not play DVD-A ISO files. But you can rip them to FLAC files and it will play just fine.
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post

My 103 will be here today and I'll be spending my weekend getting all of them converted.
I'd actually prefer the ISO method because then you get the complete disc versus just the music.

Unfortunately, the Oppo 93/95 players with ISO firmware are about the only alternatives for playing DVD-A ISOs directly. Even most media streamers don't support DVD-A ISO. As you said, playing from an ISO is preferable because you can easily access all of the bonus materials, different layers, etc. Also, with the Oppo players, playing from an ISO gives you gapless playback versus playing FLACs, which are not gapless. It's a mystery to me why media streamers that can play Blu-ray ISOs don't add DVD-A ISO playback capability.
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

It's a mystery to me why media streamers that can play Blu-ray ISOs don't add DVD-A ISO playback capability.

It's because DVD-A is licensed just as SACD is. I suppose they could add it and not advertise it or put the logo on the player, but something tells me they wouldn't get away with it.
They can still play a DVD-A ISO, but you'd get the lossy files if they exist.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

It's because DVD-A is licensed just as SACD is. I suppose they could add it and not advertise it or put the logo on the player, but something tells me they wouldn't get away with it.
They can still play a DVD-A ISO, but you'd get the lossy files if they exist.

Are you saying most media streamers carry no licensing?
post #14 of 17
So, assuming an Oppo 93 with the ISO-capable firmware, can it play from a NAS (such as QNAP) or must the files be stored on a USB drive directly attached to the Oppo?
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by elee532 View Post

So, assuming an Oppo 93 with the ISO-capable firmware, can it play from a NAS (such as QNAP) or must the files be stored on a USB drive directly attached to the Oppo?

To play ISOs, attached storage only.
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

To play ISOs, attached storage only.

Thanks scolombo.

Is there any such device that can play a DVD-A file from a network share?

Also, anyone know whether an Oppo player that has the non-ISO-capable firmware can be reverted back to an ISO-capable version of the firmware?
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by elee532 View Post

Thanks scolombo.
Is there any such device that can play a DVD-A file from a network share?

Not that I'm aware of. You could stream the DVD-A ISO from a network share using Foobar2000 with the DVD-A plugin which would allow you to play the lossless tracks from the ISO, but you don't have the benefit of accessing the bonus materials as you would playing the ISO directly. This would be no different than ripping the lossless tracks to FLAC and playing the FLAC files.
Quote:
Also, anyone know whether an Oppo player that has the non-ISO-capable firmware can be reverted back to an ISO-capable version of the firmware?

Unfortunately, the firmware can't be reverted. At one point, there were rumors of some region-free mod kits that supposedly allowed one to revert the firmware, but I believe that is no longer possible. Maybe someone else will have better info.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › DVD-Audio care and cleaning disks