or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CES 2013  

post #1 of 412
Thread Starter 
"LG TO EXHIBIT 3 ULTRA HD TVS, NEW LIGHTER OLED-TV"

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1356589634


"LG promises to bring its 55-inch OLED-TV to market in 2012 but they never did. Instead they have made further improvements to the design which means that the OLED-TV is now 1/5th lighter, weighing just 3.5 kg. The panel is only 4 mm thin."

"LG.Display – the manufacturing arm of LG – will bring 3 Ultra HD TVs to CES in 55, 65 and 84-inch sizes. The 84-inch version is not new but the two smaller variants are, and could lead the way to cheaper Ultra HD TVs. LG.Display not only produces TVs for LG but also a range of other brands, including Sony, Philips and Toshiba."
post #2 of 412
Thread Starter 
"Samsung has released a teaser video for a big TV announcement at CES 2013 in Las Vegas. It hints to a new TV with an impossibly thin bezel; a new OLED-TV?"

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1356608654
post #3 of 412
Yeah. And even though this doesn't belong on this thread, LG is also releasing a 100" screen and short throw laser front projector combination, wherein the projector can be placed less than two feet away from the screen! It's only 1080p, though.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/12/lg-hecto-laser-tv-projector-shoots-a-100-image-from-just-22-inches.html
post #4 of 412
I don't think anyone was complaining about the thickness of the 55" OLED at last years show, so I hope the improved thinness is just a byproduct of their fix to previous low OLED yields. It is interesting that they will be showing two new 4K LCD sets to go with their current 84". Almost has to be some sort of 4K delivery system coming soon to justify the smaller 55" and 65" 4K displays.
post #5 of 412
CES will mark the start of the 4K computer monitor segment with two products:

LG Display, a leading manufacturer of various displays, will showcase AH-IPS (advanced high performance in-plane switching) 30” 4K-class monitor with 4096*2160

Sharp Corporation will introduce a new 32-inch-class LCD monitor, the PN-K321, a professional monitor featuring proprietary IGZO technology and delivering 4K × 2K resolution (3,840 × 2,160 pixels)

One can see that LG is probably targeting 4K digital cinema format while Sharp is for general monitor market. Consequently, they may not compete in the same class and LG may carry much higher price tag.
post #6 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

I don't think anyone was complaining about the thickness of the 55" OLED at last years show

I was thinking the same thing. Shouldn't they focus on actually delivering a product before worrying about the thickness?
post #7 of 412
I just watched the Samsung teaser video for CES 2013. Its funny how they they are using Sydney to stand in for Las Vegas. The final location in the video is the Sydney library which is somehow supposed to stand in for the Las Vegas convention center. Weird. Looking forward to seeing what Samsung has to show at CES.
post #8 of 412
Anyone notice they didn't show a single PDP FP in the teaser? Bastards.
post #9 of 412
Quitters, it suggests how quickly they'd drop the potato if (when, in fact) Panasonic were to go first.
post #10 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Quitters, it suggests how quickly they'd drop the potato if (when, in fact) Panasonic were to go first.

It's a shame too because their PDP's have been better than their LCD's since the C series in 2010, IMO. Still I feel like Samsungs pulling one of those "sure we make PDP's but nobody cares because me make GREAT LCD's" Yet everyone relevant still calls the bluff.
post #11 of 412
I have always assumed that when Panasonic quits making PDPs, Samsung quits fairly soon after. I'm not sure why that's the working assumption so much other than that Samsung tries to compete with everyone important and so it makes PDPs because they can be sold inexpensive at high quality in large sizes and therefore it needs them to go toe-to-toe with Panasonic. When Panasonic has no toes in that water....

Still, I feel like this battle continues into 2014, but we may not know definitively until much later in 2013 whether that's true.
post #12 of 412
Thread Starter 
"Westinghouse’s 50, 55 and 65-inch Ultra HD TVs will be unveiled at CES 2013 in Las Vegas and will be available in Q1 of 2013. The 110-inch Ultra HD TV will be available around the same time as a custom order item.

From the unlikeliest of places. Westinghouse will release not 1, not 2 but 4 Ultra HD TVs in sizes from 50 to 110 inches. Westinghouse will go all-in.

- “We believe that consumers will be amazed by the experience they can expect from these displays and delighted with the affordability,” says Rey Roque from Westinghouse.


http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1356671923
post #13 of 412
Thread Starter 
"LG has unveiled its 2013 line-up of Blu-ray players and soundbars ahead of CES 2013. The Blu-ray players offer no groundbreaking new features but LG increases the Smart TV focus.

BD730 is the flagship model. It offers 3D playback, Smart TV functionality, built-in WiFi, a bundled Magic Remote, 4K upscaling, NFC, and a “screen mirroring” feature. BP530 is the step-down model without all the extra features. It offers 3D, Smart TV and WiFi. BP330 has no 3D support and only a few streaming TV apps."

The 4K upscaling in the flagship model is probably the most interesting feature.


http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1356668574
post #14 of 412
Thread Starter 
" LG Display has several UHD (Ultra High Definition) 3840 x 2160 panels to flaunt. 55- and 65-inch UHD screens join the existing 84-inch panel, with Film Patterned Retarder (FPR) 3D technology for better quality passive 3D viewing. The company has also put its 55-inch OLED TV on a diet, running it down to 4mm thick and 3.5kg in total.

The rest of the display magic will be for broader purposes, such as a 47-inch transparent display, a 47-inch high-brightness display intended for better visibility when outdoors, and an 84-inch UHD Interactive Whiteboard. Finally, LG will have an eye-catching video wall, consisting of nine 55-inch FPR 3D displays."

http://www.slashgear.com/lg-display-outs-ces-2013-spoils-full-hd-phonetab-screens-plus-uhd-tvs-28262418/
post #15 of 412
Thread Starter 
"CES 2013 might be the best year for Google TV as we see new smart TVs from LG and TCL featuring voice recognition and PrimeTime TV navigation GUI."

http://www.cepro.com/article/lg_tcl_marvell_bring_google_tv_3.0_to_life_at_ces_2013/

"At International CES 2013, LG will demonstrate two new TVs with the latest Google TV 3.0 built in. The new models, GA7900 and GA6400, will be available in a variety of sizes.

Key to the new smart TVs is the navigation capabilities. The “Magic Remote” has a QWERTY keyboard and built-in mic for receiving voice commands.

In the past, Google TV has suffered from a troublesome GUI, which makes it hard to navigate its many Web- and TV-enabled features.

The new voice-recognition feature allows users to “open applications, find YouTube videos, visit websites and much more. Searches are quick and incredibly smart, distinguishing between actors, genres, titles, TV channels, apps, etc., so you’re just a few spoken words away from exactly what you want,” according to LG.

The new Google TV also has a feature called PrimeTime, which brings easy navigation to TV viewing, allowing users to access favorite channels, recently watched shows and live TV................."
post #16 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

"CES 2013 might be the best year for Google TV as we see new smart TVs from LG and TCL featuring voice recognition and PrimeTime TV navigation GUI."
http://www.cepro.com/article/lg_tcl_marvell_bring_google_tv_3.0_to_life_at_ces_2013/
"At International CES 2013, LG will demonstrate two new TVs with the latest Google TV 3.0 built in. The new models, GA7900 and GA6400, will be available in a variety of sizes.
Key to the new smart TVs is the navigation capabilities. The “Magic Remote” has a QWERTY keyboard and built-in mic for receiving voice commands.
In the past, Google TV has suffered from a troublesome GUI, which makes it hard to navigate its many Web- and TV-enabled features.
The new voice-recognition feature allows users to “open applications, find YouTube videos, visit websites and much more. Searches are quick and incredibly smart, distinguishing between actors, genres, titles, TV channels, apps, etc., so you’re just a few spoken words away from exactly what you want,” according to LG.
The new Google TV also has a feature called PrimeTime, which brings easy navigation to TV viewing, allowing users to access favorite channels, recently watched shows and live TV................."

Oh I wish this was all relevant for the FP industry, but its not.
post #17 of 412
"Samsung to show off flexible screens at CES 2013"

Samsung Display, a team working on all different types of displays for Samsung, will preview two different flexible screen designs, one that may be on a smartphone and one for a 55″ TV.

Article is here and other similar reports are here and here .
post #18 of 412
^What year? 2020? biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

"LG has unveiled its 2013 line-up of Blu-ray players and soundbars ahead of CES 2013. The Blu-ray players offer no groundbreaking new features but LG increases the Smart TV focus.
BD730 is the flagship model. It offers 3D playback, Smart TV functionality, built-in WiFi, a bundled Magic Remote, 4K upscaling, NFC, and a “screen mirroring” feature. BP530 is the step-down model without all the extra features. It offers 3D, Smart TV and WiFi. BP330 has no 3D support and only a few streaming TV apps."
The 4K upscaling in the flagship model is probably the most interesting feature.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1356668574
Oppo already does that upscaling bidness (yes, the price is higher but one gets what they pay for wink.gif).
post #19 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson View Post

"Samsung to show off flexible screens at CES 2013"

Samsung Display, a team working on all different types of displays for Samsung, will preview two different flexible screen designs, one that may be on a smartphone and one for a 55″ TV.
Article is here and other similar reports are here and here .

This means btw that plain flat OLED is dead as it does not have sufficient differentiation feature from the LCD. Regarding flexible mobile OLED it is only 720p while 1080p LCDs will be the norm and everywhere so yet again no luck for OLED. It seems flexible 55" OLED is a media distortion.
post #20 of 412
OLED pisses on edge-lit LCD, which is what they're trying to push as "good enuff."
post #21 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

"CES 2013 might be the best year for Google TV as we see new smart TVs from LG and TCL featuring voice recognition and PrimeTime TV navigation GUI."
http://www.cepro.com/article/lg_tcl_marvell_bring_google_tv_3.0_to_life_at_ces_2013/

Wow, that is bold language. It "might be" the best year for a technology now entering its third year that has been absolutely thoroughly rejected by consumers at every turn. It might be worse? How could it possibly not be the best year for Google TV? I suppose if they took it out and shot it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson View Post

"Samsung to show off flexible screens at CES 2013"

Samsung Display, a team working on all different types of displays for Samsung, will preview two different flexible screen designs, one that may be on a smartphone and one for a 55″ TV.
Article is here and other similar reports are here and here .

I guess they are showing this off to prove their technical might. The small screen has no touchscreen, therefore it cannot be used on a smartphone. And to be clear, since its key attribute is unbreakability and the touchscreen sits atop it and would be breakable, there is no point releasing a phone with this tech until they can. This makes me wonder where every idiot tech blogger keeps mentioning how this might be in Galaxy S4. It's a prototype of a screen missing critical components (there is also no flexible front cover) for a phone that will sell north of 100 million units starting in spring? Uh, no.

As for showing it off on a 55" screen, the front glass problem remains and typically, that's what breaks when you throw your Wii controller at it. That demo seems odder still (if it's to be believed).
post #22 of 412
Will CES 2013 show us any video display products that we can buy in 2013 that will stop the Worldwide domination LCD horror story apocalyptic holocaust?

Every second we get closer and closer to NO choices and LCD that sucks!
post #23 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

Will CES 2013 show us any video display products that we can buy in 2013 that will stop the Worldwide domination LCD horror story apocalyptic holocaust?
Every second we get closer and closer to NO choices and LCD that sucks!

Yes, but you must excuse this "digression" from the FP focus of this thread. You did say "any video display products."

LG will be showing a 100" screen paired with a short throw laser "Hepto" projector. The projector is placed less
than two feet(!) in front of the screen, unlike any other Front Projector design ever marketed, to my knowledge.
Its ease of setup , and the likely thin design of the screen, nearly gives it the ease of installation of a large flat panel.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/12/lg-unveils-a-gigantor-100-inch-laser-projector-youre-gonna-need-bigger-walls/
post #24 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson View Post

"Samsung to show off flexible screens at CES 2013"

Samsung Display, a team working on all different types of displays for Samsung, will preview two different flexible screen designs, one that may be on a smartphone and one for a 55″ TV.
Article is here and other similar reports are here and here .
Can't wait wait til the future where I'll watch my TV, roll it up, and store it in the closet when I'm done. biggrin.gif
post #25 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Yes, but you must excuse this "digression" from the FP focus of this thread. You did say "any video display products."
LG will be showing a 100" screen paired with a short throw laser "Hepto" projector. The projector is placed less
than two feet(!) in front of the screen, unlike any other Front Projector design ever marketed, to my knowledge.
Its ease of setup , and the likely thin design of the screen, nearly gives it the ease of installation of a large flat panel.
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/12/lg-unveils-a-gigantor-100-inch-laser-projector-youre-gonna-need-bigger-walls/

That thing sounds amazing. I am nervous about image quality and it's hardly unprecedented (there have been a number of super short-throw projectors in the past using exotic lenses and mirrors to sit within a foot or two of the screen but none have had lasers at their disposal). I could see this being very popular in the projector realm, depending on price and quality. It doesn't solve as many real-world problems as we'd like -- not many rooms are ruled out from projectors "if only we could sit the projector closer" -- but it's a help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox50 View Post

Can't wait wait til the future where I'll watch my TV, roll it up, and store it in the closet when I'm done. biggrin.gif

Samsung's technology has next to nothing to do with such an application at this point.

Also, that sounds like an incredibly uninteresting technology.

Today, arrive in living room, press button, watch TV.

Your future, arrive in living room, dig through closet, locate screen, unroll it, hang it on wall, plug it in, make sure it's level, press button, watch TV.... When done, take it down, roll it up, put it back in closet? Wow, that sounds like an absolutely backwards future. After 60+ years of having the TV just waiting for us, it's going to require setup? I don't think so.
post #26 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

That thing sounds amazing. I am nervous about image quality and it's hardly unprecedented (there have been a number of super short-throw projectors in the past using exotic lenses and mirrors to sit within a foot or two of the screen but none have had lasers at their disposal). I could see this being very popular in the projector realm, depending on price and quality. It doesn't solve as many real-world problems as we'd like -- not many rooms are ruled out from projectors "if only we could sit the projector closer" -- but it's a help.
Samsung's technology has next to nothing to do with such an application at this point.
Also, that sounds like an incredibly uninteresting technology.
Today, arrive in living room, press button, watch TV.
Your future, arrive in living room, dig through closet, locate screen, unroll it, hang it on wall, plug it in, make sure it's level, press button, watch TV.... When done, take it down, roll it up, put it back in closet? Wow, that sounds like an absolutely backwards future. After 60+ years of having the TV just waiting for us, it's going to require setup? I don't think so.

You mean you don't wanna roll up your FP and take it with?
wink.gif
post #27 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

You mean you don't wanna roll up your FP and take it with?
wink.gif

No, but one day it will allow me to pack a 120" direct view screen home in my minivan, get it down the stairs and through the door to my basement theater so I can finally stop worrying about throw distance and ambient light with my projector setup. I sense distant doom for the home projection market.
post #28 of 412
Thread Starter 
For those that are wondering if Panasonic, Samsung, and LG are going to keep manufacturing Plasma TVs for very much longer;

The thought occurred to me that, just like the canary in the coal mine, we perhaps should pay attention to if they introduce any ultra definition consumer models, that will be shipped to market this year. If they do not, that would probably be a strong indicator that Plasma's days are numbered.
post #29 of 412
Seems logic to me that Plasma stays around till ØLED larger sizes are at affordable prices. If that not happens Plasma should stay IMO
post #30 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Seems logic to me that Plasma stays around till ØLED larger sizes are at affordable prices. If that not happens Plasma should stay IMO

I don't think so, that is why LED is here. Let Plasma gracefully come to end like all outdated technologies, such as CRT and now film.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked