or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › Which one would you buy ?.. Sony 4k or Sim2 Lumis..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which one would you buy ?.. Sony 4k or Sim2 Lumis.. - Page 2

post #31 of 46
When the chip arrives, I suspect Sim2 will have a limited exclusive on it with expensive product.
post #32 of 46
Why SIM and not Projection Design or Digital Projection ?
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

A bird told me TI is coming out with a new chip. I really have no clue as to what it will be but I would suspect a 4K chip for consumers suitable for both 1 and 3 chippers.
Someone claimed some months ago that he had evaluated a 4K DLP prototype projector with a wobulated chip. Said it was awful. Hope it's not true.
TI ought to stop trying to reduce the size of the mirrors and stick to the size they have. Reducing the size of the mirrors is just diluting the the quality of the pixels. One size fits all would serve everybody best and also reduce TI's costs of R&D and running several production lines.

Also no point in making new lamp based projector models. Rather spend some extra time in getting Laser light engines to work with DLP. Laser projector are so close to being a reality.
post #34 of 46
I have no idea as to what TI is doing.

Usually with TI chips, Sim2 use to get first crack for whatever reason. I dunno.
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I have no idea as to what TI is doing.

Usually with TI chips, Sim2 use to get first crack for whatever reason. I dunno.

So then you should not be making comments as though you do
post #36 of 46
No PD has gotten the lead with the 2550x 4:3 and widescreen chips. And has often ben the lead on single chip designs. Optoma (Coretronics) has received developmentcontracts on LED projectors, so has Delta. Projection design may have the edge here, as it is now owned by Barco.
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I have no idea as to what TI is doing.

Usually with TI chips, Sim2 use to get first crack for whatever reason. I dunno.

Lon. I qualified my comments with "I suspect" and "I dunno". Happy New Year BTW smile.gif
Edited by mark haflich - 1/15/13 at 8:58am
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Never again will I buy a new piece of hardware before the software makes the market. Things can change.!biggrin.gif
Amen! Those days are over for me too.

BTW, is it safe to say that 3D is a failure in the home market?
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post

Amen! Those days are over for me too.

BTW, is it safe to say that 3D is a failure in the home market?

I wouldn't call it a failure. It's not highly succesful either but there is plenty of 3D releases on BD each month. I enjoy titles fairly regularly.
post #40 of 46
The reason I ask is because the manufacturers have seem to drop it for 4K.
post #41 of 46
Hi Mike. The Sony 4K projector does 3D and so will the coming Red 4K projector.
Edited by mark haflich - 1/18/13 at 5:22am
post #42 of 46
Hi everyone, I attended CES last week and saw the Sony 4K projector in action more than once. I own a Sim2 Lumis . I thought the 4k was great, half the cost of a Lumis but lacked in brightness.

I was very impressed in the 84 inch LG and Samsung 4K TV and would love to get one to replace my 40 inch Sony
LCD TV in my living room.
post #43 of 46
Hi Mark - hope all is going well for you.
I'm still loving my JVC RS-25 - it's been the best projector for my particular setup. No more Sony products for me -- ever, and ditto for Samsung (long story). Still planning to move to Palm Springs in the not too distant future - love that mid-century modern look and the desert air.
post #44 of 46
Yep about Palm Springs. John Lautner designed two houses there and a motel. The Elrod house used in the Howard White JKasmes Bond Flick and the Bob Hope house. Both of which are upp ffor sale now. They are asking about $7 million for the Elrod house and the Hope house is listed at about $40 million. There are tons of mid century moderns for sale in Palm springs and a lot are priced around a half million. Mostly ranch types with lots of glass. We are moving to Saraota when we sell our house here. I really like my Sony VPL-vw1000ES. No problems at all for me. Hsving caterac surgery next week and will be grounded for a week starting Weds. Give me a call if you like. I think you would enjoy seeing the 4K sony on my Stewart Snowmatt 100 screen., .
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Yep about Palm Springs. John Lautner designed two houses there and a motel. The Elrod house used in the Howard White JKasmes Bond Flick and the Bob Hope house. Both of which are upp ffor sale now. They are asking about $7 million for the Elrod house and the Hope house is listed at about $40 million. There are tons of mid century moderns for sale in Palm springs and a lot are priced around a half million. Mostly ranch types with lots of glass. We are moving to Saraota when we sell our house here. I really like my Sony VPL-vw1000ES. No problems at all for me. Hsving caterac surgery next week and will be grounded for a week starting Weds. Give me a call if you like. I think you would enjoy seeing the 4K sony on my Stewart Snowmatt 100 screen., .


Good luck with the surgery, Mark!

post #46 of 46
Thanks. the odds are high for a good result. Way better than getting a real good sample of a projector out of an early number in the first production run. :0
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › Which one would you buy ?.. Sony 4k or Sim2 Lumis..