or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › AE TD12x SEOS12 Build!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build!!!! - Page 6

post #151 of 377
Beast - Had I known you were waiting so long for some terminals I would have sent you some binding posts and/or speakons your way STAT. cool.gif
post #152 of 377
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Man, looks awesome!

Thanks for those edge shots. So, the poly you used was just a standard clear high gloss, correct?

Sucks about your terminals. Guess that's what you get for ordering the most expensive terminals they sell...

rolleyes.gif

Thanks dudes!!!! yep, just plain ole rustoleum high gloss poly, synthetic brush, polish after. Also, I opted out of those terminals I linked to earlier for the much better looking and easier binding posts:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=091-1247
post #153 of 377
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Beast - Had I known you were waiting so long for some terminals I would have sent you some binding posts and/or speakons your way STAT. cool.gif

They just departed PE TODAY!!!! Wth, it has never taken PE this long to get something out to me. I ordered them Thursday of last week! I usually get my stuff 2nd business day!!! Guess I am still on hold here
post #154 of 377
Real nice beast!
post #155 of 377
I like those binding posts as well. Very solid. You can solder the tabs onto your wire. No need to solder directly to the posts!
post #156 of 377
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

I like those binding posts as well. Very solid. You can solder the tabs onto your wire. No need to solder directly to the posts!

Luwee!! Thanks!! sp was meant for dramatic effect smile.gif

If i soldered, I would do it, yet I own no iron of soldering... it will be a regular ole' connection to the terminals, tightened down by some vice grips. I really need to invest in an iron for sure. one question though: Is a de-soldering iron the same as a soldering iron, just not applying the wire to make it stick?
post #157 of 377
I hate to solder... it drives me bonkers with my big mitts. It's not the basic layout of parts in the circuits that's the problem. That's the easy part... it's the dexterity needed to do things super neat and tidy in a tiny enclosure that is hard for me.

After building a bunch of amplifiers and pre-amplifiers over the years, I definitely never want to do anything that fine and precise ever again. I just outsource that to a *great* technician/circuit genius friend here in town. He does ridiculously clean work that looks better than anything I've ever seen from any commercial manufacturer. Worth every penny to just let him do it.

Speaker crossovers, however, are exponentially easier and don't have to be anywhere near as precise and pretty smile.gif As long as you make good, solid twist connections and lots of contact with the pieces being soldered together, you're golden. With all kinds of room inside the speaker box or in the separate sealed crossover compartment, it's a cinch to do and no one is going to look inside the box to see how messy you were in the layout or that you took up too much space to lay everything out...... the only caveat is that if you want to ensure an easier time of it, use a good soldering iron.... while you can do just about anything with a $20 iron, if you plan to build a few things, then spending the coin on a good soldering station with temperature control will be a dream to work with in how easy it is to flow the solder and heat things to the proper temps... also, cheap solder is not your friend, especially with a crap iron... as I said to you, I wish I'd known about your soldering situation before you came to pick stuff up. I likely wouldn't have built anything as neat and pretty as what you got, but could have shown you how easy and straightforward it is to solder your own.... of course if it is only a few bucks to have someone do it, I'm at the point that I usually take that option myself smile.gif I soldered my first crossover in a while last weekend... it wasn't bad at all, but I definitely have enjoyed others doing them for me smile.gif

speakers are looking mighty fine... hope you enjoy the way they sound...
post #158 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterdoc View Post

Speaker crossovers, however, are exponentially easier and don't have to be anywhere near as precise and pretty smile.gif As long as you make good, solid twist connections and lots of contact with the pieces being soldered together, you're golden. With all kinds of room inside the speaker box or in the separate sealed crossover compartment, it's a cinch to do and no one is going to look inside the box to see how messy you were in the layout or that you took up too much space to lay everything out...... the only caveat is that if you want to ensure an easier time of it, use a good soldering iron.... while you can do just about anything with a $20 iron, if you plan to build a few things, then spending the coin on a good soldering station with temperature control will be a dream to work with in how easy it is to flow the solder and heat things to the proper temps... also, cheap solder is not your friend, especially with a crap iron...

QFT. I found that building the crossover during my build was the most enjoyable part. Since it was my first crossover and the most soldering I've ever done, I did exactly as you explained...making sure I had solid connections before soldering and it was as simple as that. As far as technique, I watched an entire instructional series on YouTube several times: Basic Soldering Lessons 1 - 9 and a PE crossover assmbly for the Aviatrix parts 1/2, all of which was really useful for a beginner.

Anyway, beast, dude...we've had this convo...you gotta try one someday. biggrin.gif Now fire those babies up!!! Please, I NEED a speaker porn fix this weekend. tongue.gif
post #159 of 377
Thread Starter 
Shane, thanks for the offer! Maybe next time I am down that way. I actually would like to get down there again soon and visit Rick at Selah to see some of his new creations as well. After that disappointing High School effort by the Blue Devils last night I don't even know if I want to come down for the Miami game. sheesh.

RB, perhaps if I do something with the jbl's I could make something happen with building out my XO's I have enough attention to detail that I could accomplish it, but with these, I wanted someone with good experience hooking them up smile.gif

I am still waiting on my binding posts. I just checked and they went through the Charlotte facility about an hour ago, so that means I won't have them until tomorrow. That puts it at over a week to get them to me with priority shipping. I am pissed.
post #160 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I am still waiting on my binding posts. I just checked and they went through the Charlotte facility about an hour ago, so that means I won't have them until tomorrow. That puts it at over a week to get them to me with priority shipping. I am pissed.

That was your problem, you need to know the secret time to order parts with free shipping so that you get them the next day. wink.gif
Placing orders between 2 and 4 pm ET mon-thur has worked well for me, 9 out of 10 orders I place with free shipping are here the next day.

For soldering I use an old Edsyn LONER model 940B (the CL1080 would be the current equivalent). It is a great iron temp is adjustable and works great from the smallest leads to big 10awg stuff. The Edsyn irons are pricy but will last a lifetime. It was my dad's iron before I got it and I don't think he ever changed the tip, it still looks and works like new.
post #161 of 377
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Placing orders between 2 and 4 pm ET mon-thur has worked well for me, 9 out of 10 orders I place with free shipping are here the next day

I am pretty sure that is when I did it. oh well, the pause has allowed me to have the two D.O. temporary boxes ready to rock. Mounting drivers and wiring them in tonight in between some good Xgames action.

Hey Popa, you be drivin' that plane up there in Chantilly airport? Too many beers at airport terminal bar brah!!!
post #162 of 377
Beast, if you don't want to solder, just use these:



You can split them into pairs and screw them to the board. The nice thing is that swapping components or fixing mistakes is quick and easy.

Oh and you can get them at Radio Shack.
post #163 of 377
Thread Starter 
thanks man! Well, sodering is just part of the deal, electronic XO diagrams also look like chinese to me.
post #164 of 377
Thread Starter 
OK so they are all set now smile.gif Gonna have a good play tomorrow I hopes...


Binding posts!!!! FINALLY!!!!

Ballin center channel anyone???

They look so tiny compared to the LS6's smile.gif


And the new setup for now smile.gif I was not too stoked with how the temporary D.O. boxes were doing where they were in the middle, even though the RE's did pretty well there. Strange. I have almost come to the grips that my best sub placement in general is nowhere near the front wall under the screen, even as clean as it looks. Good news/bad news is I can place the boxes as side tables to the rear row and the bar row (third row) as an alternative, but I have to see how corner loading each sounds first. After moving everything around, I am done for the night and need to rest so I can have this hopefully all dialed in, as it stands right now for the finale of the Xgames tomorrow night smile.gif I haven't even broken the woofers in yet (I know rolleyes.gif) so I can't really be too speculative yet, because all i know is on the walls and near the boxes, they are bumpin' but my seat is once again in a BAD null so I need to remedy with the new setup and find the most optimal spots..again. Oh the joy smile.gif



Let me know what you guys think!!!
post #165 of 377
Nniiiiiiicccee!
post #166 of 377
Looking great man!

That TD12x is a stunner. Hopefully you can get everything tweaked before the show tonight.
post #167 of 377
Nice beast! Balancing sub placement between output/response and looks/pimp factor is always tough. smile.gif

Man those ls6's are SEXY too!!!
post #168 of 377
Turned out great Beast!
post #169 of 377
Those look great.

Believe it or not, I think you could toe them in even more and see how they work out.
post #170 of 377
Those look sick beast. Congrats on finishing them. You better be up right now listening to them smile.gif
post #171 of 377
Great job. I really like the black baffle and the finish on the rest of the speakers.
post #172 of 377
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Looking great man!

That TD12x is a stunner. Hopefully you can get everything tweaked before the show tonight.

Yea, I love the phase plugs, really makes the front of the speaker look killer smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Nice beast! Balancing sub placement between output/response and looks/pimp factor is always tough. smile.gif

Man those ls6's are SEXY too!!!

yea, I have never tried the subs out away from the front wall. Standing within 5 feet of the front wall, the bass is friggin unreal, but as soon as you back away past that, just about anywhere in the room, it is awful. It seems even worse with the D.O. boxes, but once again, I need to break them in, setup properly, etc. Right now they are just plug n played, and that was with the LS6's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Those look great.

Believe it or not, I think you could toe them in even more and see how they work out.

Thanks man! Couldn't have been possible without your efforts!!! I might toe them in even more to see how that works, right now they are crossing right in front of the MLP which is the front couch, right seat, as close to center as I can get...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoeft View Post

Those look sick beast. Congrats on finishing them. You better be up right now listening to them smile.gif

Haha, I messed around and cleaned up shop (well, garage, living, and dining room) and was super amp'd after a beer festival I went to yesterday, I couldn't get to sleep for anything. Right now just relaxing, but after lunch I plan on getting down there and start messing around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post

Great job. I really like the black baffle and the finish on the rest of the speakers.

I am hoping that will create a zero-reflection deal for behind the A-T screen, but I also wanted the boxes to look really good so this seemed a little different and an excellent compromise smile.gif
post #173 of 377
They look awesome, I have been waiting for some pics with the drivers mounted.

Do you think the phase plugs will cause any reflection issues behind your screen?
post #174 of 377
Thread Starter 
I dont think they will with the brushed style, at least I hope not.
post #175 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

yea, I have never tried the subs out away from the front wall. Standing within 5 feet of the front wall, the bass is friggin unreal, but as soon as you back away past that, just about anywhere in the room, it is awful. It seems even worse with the D.O. boxes, but once again, I need to break them in, setup properly, etc. Right now they are just plug n played, and that was with the LS6's.

My room is kind of the same way. The bass is crazy/body moving from <8 feet from the wall, but at the LP which is 16-18 feet away it seems substantially diminished. Funny enough in my living room which is a much bigger room I don't have that issue. frown.gif Once you get the other 2 boxes built, and if space allows, place a few of them around your couch - that will make a substantial difference in 'impact.' biggrin.gif
post #176 of 377
Thread Starter 
yea, I still think part of the issue with me is the hallway off the back. It is doored off on the other end, but is off the rear right of the theater, and L-shaped rooms are pretty notorious for causing issues. I have never tried corner loading both drivers in the same corner either, so, needless to day I have some work to do. I wasn't able to get down and really mess around last night, this new pup has sucked pretty much all the energy out of me...and its only been a week!!
post #177 of 377
Thread Starter 
GRAPHS!!! I am more impressed with these right now that I have been with a speaker in a LONG time. I will let the responses speak for themselves. These are for the LCR measurements close mic, ZERO eq, just running full range direct:







And this is at the MLP, still no EQ, full range WHAAAAAAA??????

post #178 of 377
I'm sayin'! Good job, man! They're ridiculous, right? biggrin.gif
post #179 of 377
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotbunny View Post

I'm sayin'! Good job, man! They're ridiculous, right? biggrin.gif

I was gonna wait a few for listening impressions and see what people thought of the graphs without any bias on my side smile.gif I will say for now though, that I saw Rilla's response and immediately got stoked to see how far mine extended down. Needless to say I was mad impressed that the TD's could do close to the same, and sound absolutely phenomenal. Oh the sweet sweet sound of constant directivity. I have missed it so.... It is already making me wonder the future of the LS6's if that means anything to anyone. I have to say, listening to these full range with music is absolutely phenomenal... I will go into more detail after I run through my full gambit of test songs, but I have to say I have already cranked these further than I care to listen and they are seamless. I can;t believe I am getting something like this from a set of THREE speakers for barely over $1000. Just absolutely astounding. Erich, you can post my build and quote me on that sir smile.gif Kudos to Erich, for the vision to get these horns going, MTG for building out some most excellent XO for me, and HTdoc for supplying the TD's when they were still in short order. My only hope is that John at AE can start cranking these woofers out quick for all interested because they are just absolutely unreal. Still at +5 on some serious tracks, haven't seen them move if I had to guess much past half of their usable ability excursion wise.
post #180 of 377
That's what I was waiting to hear... Can't wait till you have more time listening to these. What are you running them down too. I've been super interested in the AE's and also Rilla's B&C's. I know it's early but how are they compared to the JTR's. not sure which models you've heard/had. Awesome man... Glad you love them!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › AE TD12x SEOS12 Build!!!!