or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › Benq W1070 144Hz Compatible DLP-LINK 3D Glasses
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Benq W1070 144Hz Compatible DLP-LINK 3D Glasses - Page 9

post #241 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

If you don't know why some glasses are blue/yellow and red/blue and all one colour then you really DO need to read a LOT more. I will give you a start: with this and similar D-Link DLP projectors we are using passive 3d glasses, there you go! Google 3d glasses and read on.

Thats a bit harsh, oh and DLP uses Active shutters unless you buy two projectors and set them up in tandem with a special communication box between the two then with two images being sent to the same screen you can then use passive but for the most part if its one projector no matter the tech its going to tend to be Active shutters.
post #242 of 798
Yeah Im used to using active shutter so that's what I meant. Ok, I'll get googling wink.gif
post #243 of 798
Sorry for the confusion created, I was playing around with both a LG passive 25" 3D monitor as well as my W1070, hence I said 'passive' instead of active 144Hz for the W1070. I am glad to see people are paying attention.

Daniel, I don't think it is harsh at all, people will not do research these days they just expect others to spoon feed them. Hence my comments.

Tyrone, I have never seen any active glasses with different lenses in each side. If you have then please give us a web link?? I have seen some very odd photos in adverts where they have differing shades of green due to side lighting.
post #244 of 798
Perhaps the pictures are made when the glasses where turned on?
In that case, either the right or left glass is shut.
That might give a darker picture then the glass which is still open. Hance the color difference. Makes sense to me biggrin.gif
post #245 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

yeah it was hard to believe since its half the euro price so awesome hope these work out because they could be the killer bargain ^_^

The OEM model name of the glasses are YDD3PG so says the manual. Someone one the 1st page of this thread says they have bad ghosting, I didn't notice any at all. Watched Wreck it Ralph with the kids last night and I had no problems at all with syncing, red tint or ghosting. I will buy at least three more when Amazon stocks them again.
OEM home page http://en.hishock.com/
post #246 of 798
I am not convinced by 3D

I received my truedeph 144hz glasses (with left/right eye only button) last week, played a few movie like Wreck it Ralph / Avatar / Open Season / Transformer / Avenger and i am very far from the WOW experience i was anticipating

The major CONS are
1- Loss in brightness, it dims a bit when switching the signal to 3D 1080p 24Hz and drops even more with glasses. My wife and I did get use to it after 10/20min but we couldn't get use to the loss of details in shadows
2- CHOPPY HERE I COME !, all action scenes are a little jerky, less details, less smoothness, it plays OK though but far from the 60Hz refresh rate, very annoying !
3- A slight eye pain develops after 30min ish
4- Loss in Details, already mentioned above but figured it needed to be a 4th point
5- Distracting ! it's easy to lose track of the story while contemplating 3D effects. depends on the movie i guess.

The minor CONS are
1- always need to make sure the glasses are charged up
2- a good investment @ $50 / person for glasses
3- Configuring the computer and projector for 3D everytime you start and end a movie is frustrating, i'll see about creating resolution profile to quickly switch between 2D/3D
4- the glasses lose sync for a split second few times per movie, Truedepth support team said:

Unfortunately, this is common with DLP link technology since it relies on a "white flash" (or a red flash in the case of the w1070) between frames. This means that depending on the movie, bright scenes can affect the sync


The PROS are
1- Fun to try once in a while....

Conclusion:
Fun to try once in a while but not worth much imo. I'm sure i'll want to check out all the new 3D movies released but i'll definately watch them in 2D first. 3D will just be the icing on the cake where i'll most likely watch the best scenes only for adrenaline kicks

ps: my screen is pretty freakin big, don't have the dimension off hands but here is a pic to give an idea, yes i am aware that the bigger you go the less lumens there is, though i don't value 3D enough to reduce the size, 2D works perfectly fine like that.


Edited by kilimats - 3/12/13 at 10:05pm
post #247 of 798
what size screen?
post #248 of 798
^ replied in my original post
post #249 of 798
ok cool, i have mine @ 98" and 3d is great. on a pj screen aswell. try reducing the screen for a 3d movie and see what it is like, what movie did you use for 3d?
post #250 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley King View Post

ok cool, i have mine @ 98" and 3d is great. on a pj screen aswell. try reducing the screen for a 3d movie and see what it is like, what movie did you use for 3d?

both already answered in my original post rolleyes.gifcool.giftongue.gif
post #251 of 798
Kilimats, are you serious? 3D has no future? You weren't blown away????????

I viewed Open Season yesterday (on a 120" screen and sitting 2.6 to 3 m away) and WOW. The fur looked real, the nose on the bear popped out of the screen and it was fantastic. The flowers and trees looked real. Tron was great as well but the animations pop better. Tron had depth into the screen but Open Season had both depth and came out of the screen.

Are you sure you had the disc in 3D? I ask this because there are both options available, i.e. 2D and 3D viewing. Did you see a depth of field in any scenes?

3D is here to stay and it is fantastic.
post #252 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

Kilimats, are you serious? 3D has no future? You weren't blown away????????

I viewed Open Season yesterday (on a 120" screen and sitting 2.6 to 3 m away) and WOW. The fur looked real, the nose on the bear popped out of the screen and it was fantastic. The flowers and trees looked real. Tron was great as well but the animations pop better. Tron had depth into the screen but Open Season had both depth and came out of the screen.

Are you sure you had the disc in 3D? I ask this because there are both options available, i.e. 2D and 3D viewing. Did you see a depth of field in any scenes?

3D is here to stay and it is fantastic.

My glasses have a switch to change from 3D / Left Eye / Right Eye, yes the 3D mode had depth, yes stuff poped out, but no i wasn't blown away

Yes it was fun to watch but no i don't think 3D bring any value when watching a full movie at that budget, too many drawbacks to make the whole thing worth it, but again yes its fun...for a while....

I'll keep playing with the settings, try diff players, adjust the 3D depth and more... but overall 2D is still the way to go with the W1070 imo.
post #253 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimats View Post

My glasses have a switch to change from 3D / Left Eye / Right Eye, yes the 3D mode had depth, yes stuff poped out, but no i wasn't blown away

Yes it was fun to watch but no i don't think 3D bring any value when watching a full movie at that budget, too many drawbacks to make the whole thing worth it, but again yes its fun...for a while....

I'll keep playing with the settings, try diff players, adjust the 3D depth and more... but overall 2D is still the way to go with the W1070 imo.

Well you seem to be a lonely voice in the crowd in regards to 3D and also the W1070. Each to his/her own opinion I guess. But it does make you wonder why the movie studios are spending so much money on 3D if there is nothing to it.
post #254 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

Well you seem to be a lonely voice in the crowd in regards to 3D and also the W1070. Each to his/her own opinion I guess. But it does make you wonder why the movie studios are spending so much money on 3D if there is nothing to it.

Never ranted about the W1070, i was giving my opinion on the 3D HOME experience in this budget, $1000 ish. I'm not reviewing the 3D IMAX experience either (which i happen to really like), that's where the studios are making their big bucks...

but as i said, i'll see if any settings can change my perceptions, until then 3D will be a fun bonus experience for us

don't feel threaten by my review RED DOG, it's an opinion shared by my wife and I, you are entitled to yours...cool.gif
Edited by kilimats - 3/12/13 at 10:04pm
post #255 of 798
So has anyone heard about the Benq D3 are they still on back order?
post #256 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimats View Post

I am not convinced by 3D

I received my truedeph 144hz glasses (with left/right eye only button) last week, played a few movie like Wreck it Ralph / Avatar / Open Season / Transformer / Avenger and i am very far from the WOW experience i was anticipating

The major CONS are
1- Loss in brightness, it dims a bit when switching the signal to 3D 1080p 24Hz and drops even more with glasses. My wife and I did get use to it after 10/20min but we couldn't get use to the loss of details in shadows
2- CHOPPY HERE I COME !, all action scenes are a little jerky, less details, less smoothness, it plays OK though but far from the 60Hz refresh rate, very annoying !
3- A slight eye pain develops after 30min ish
4- Loss in Details, already mentioned above but figured it needed to be a 4th point
5- Distracting ! it's easy to lose track of the story while contemplating 3D effects. depends on the movie i guess.

The minor CONS are
1- always need to make sure the glasses are charged up
2- a good investment @ $50 / person for glasses
3- Configuring the computer and projector for 3D everytime you start and end a movie is frustrating, i'll see about creating resolution profile to quickly switch between 2D/3D
4- the glasses lose sync for a split second few times per movie, Truedepth support team said:

Unfortunately, this is common with DLP link technology since it relies on a "white flash" (or a red flash in the case of the w1070) between frames. This means that depending on the movie, bright scenes can affect the sync


The PROS are
1- Fun to try once in a while....

Conclusion:
Fun to try once in a while but not worth much imo. I'm sure i'll want to check out all the new 3D movies released but i'll definately watch them in 2D first. 3D will just be the icing on the cake where i'll most likely watch the best scenes only for adrenaline kicks

ps: my screen is pretty freakin big, don't have the dimension off hands but here is a pic to give an idea, yes i am aware that the bigger you go the less lumens there is, though i don't value 3D enough to reduce the size, 2D works perfectly fine like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimats View Post

Never ranted about the W1070, i was giving my opinion on the 3D HOME experience in this budget, $1000 ish. I'm not reviewing the 3D IMAX experience either (which i happen to really like), that's where the studios are making their big bucks...

but as i said, i'll see if any settings can change my perceptions, until then 3D will be a fun bonus experience for us

don't feel threaten by my review RED DOG, it's an opinion shared by my wife and I, you are entitled to yours...cool.gif
So this is NOT a rant???? Then what is?? Not a lot of positives. Keep in mind that THIS thread is about the Benq W1070 NOT a review of the pros and cons of 3D viewing, hence your rant is perceived as a review of the 3D capability of the w1070. By the way, you seem to be very close to the screen (in the photo) and maybe that is your problem???

Oh, by the way, movie studios make money in many ways NOT simply IMAX but distribution, movie theatre ticket sales, DVD, Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray sales, rentals as well as digital rights. And there are a lot of films being produced in 3D as well as others being converted for sale and rental, go figure.

I am not and never will be threatened by you. You misinterpreted my post mate. I object to the line you take and the attitude. Clearly there is something wrong with your setup, or your perception, regarding 3D and it needs to be put into perspective, taking into account the views of the vast majority of users.

Why do you think the projector, TV and video player manufacturers are all investing in the development and sale of the 3D devices?? Don't you see that the public are demanding 3D material and a way of viewing it.

Why don't you set up a new thread about the current deficiencies in the 3D system and discuss this with like minded people and leave this thread to people who want to discuss the wonders of the W1070 and its ability to produce truly marvelous and enveloping 3D images and experiences..
Edited by OZReddog - 3/13/13 at 2:04am
post #257 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post


So this is NOT a rant???? Then what is?? Not a lot of positives. Keep in mind that THIS thread is about the Benq W1070 NOT a review of the pros and cons of 3D viewing, hence your rant is perceived as a review of the 3D capability of the w1070. By the way, you seem to be very close to the screen (in the photo) and maybe that is your problem???

Oh, by the way, movie studios make money in many ways NOT simply IMAX but distribution, movie theatre ticket sales, DVD, Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray sales, rentals as well as digital rights. And there are a lot of films being produced in 3D as well as others being converted for sale and rental, go figure.

I am not and never will be threatened by you. You misinterpreted my post mate. I object to the line you take and the attitude. Clearly there is something wrong with your setup, or your perception, regarding 3D and it needs to be put into perspective, taking into account the views of the vast majority of users.

Why do you think the projector, TV and video player manufacturers are all investing in the development and sale of the 3D devices?? Don't you see that the public are demanding 3D material and a way of viewing it.

Why don't you set up a new thread about the current deficiencies in the 3D system and discuss this with like minded people and leave this thread to people who want to discuss the wonders of the W1070 and its ability to produce truly marvelous and enveloping 3D images and experiences..

Oh good grief, OZ, are you kidding me? Sounds like you're the one that is ranting dude! While I can appreciate your passion regarding 3D and the industry, kilimats in fact made very good points as it relates to a thread entitled "Benq W1070 144Hz Compatible DLP-LINK 3D Glasses". Sure, he also shared opinions about his 3D experience in general, so what? He wasn't making a general statement about the viewing public.

He used the TD glasses and experienced; a) Loss of brightness and detail, b) choppiness in action scenes (could be projector or glasses), c) slight eye pain (good to know), d) making sure glasses are always charged up, e) occasionally glasses lose sync. In my opinion these are valuable points to be aware of from an actual user.

And by the way, what is this; "...and leave this thread to people who want to discuss the wonders of the W1070 and its ability to produce truly marvelous and enveloping 3D images and experiences." I believe this thread and forum is for the open communication of all and their experiences - an OBJECTIVE forum. I want all viewpoints - not just a bunch of fanboys. Compared to the theater, I do not believe in the wonders of the W1070 and it's ability to produce truly marvelous and enveloping 3D images and experiences. Good - but not even close. Perhaps I should be banished from this thread as you would have done to kilimats?

PS: Obviously, he's not that lonely out there regarding his lack of enthusiasm for the 3D movie experience. I prefer 2D movies and actually avoid 3D. I do have the W1080 and Sainsonic glasses, perhaps not the best, maybe I should get the expensive glasses and I'll change my mind. Don't count on it. Even at state of the art theaters like the ATMOS in Vegas watching the Hobbit, while the 3D looked good, I still prefer the 2D experience. Don't care if the studios make billions off of it - 3D just isn't for me (except in gaming I'll admit which the W1070 does fairly well).
post #258 of 798
Sounded to me as he has more of a problem with DLP 3D link tech instead of the glasses. Therefore, derailed a pretty informative thread.
post #259 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

So has anyone heard about the Benq D3 are they still on back order?
i waiting for one of this glasses at the end of the week from Germany
Benq 5J.J7K25.001 79e
post #260 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Q View Post

Sounded to me as he has more of a problem with DLP 3D link tech instead of the glasses. Therefore, derailed a pretty informative thread.

Exactly my point. Here here. Check your system first before bagging 3D completely.
post #261 of 798
I have been researching glasses after watching a number of 3D films with my 2 different types (cheapie Chinese like SainSonic and Consignia VIP 3D) and I found these on ebay. I have ordered 2 as I like the side arms like the VIP units and the nose moulding. I find the side arms block the ambient light and stop distraction. The Sainsonic type units feel a little uncomfortable on my nose due to the 'moulding' used rather than the fully formed frame in the VIP glasses (and these other ones).

They are around the same price as the Sainsonic (2 for $57.58 or $28.79 each) BUT they have the large side arms AND fast FREE shipping to the USA (3-4 days). They are very very close to my Consignia VIP 3D glasses but less than 1/2 the price shipped:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-New-144Hz-Tech-for-BenQ-Optoma-Sharp-Acer-Dell-3D-DLP-Link-Projector-Glasses-/310611988342?pt=US_Video_Glasses&hash=item4851eacf76

For those who only want 1 pair here is a link BUT there is NO free fast shipping with these!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3D-Active-Shutter-Glasses-For-Samsung-Optoma-Benq-Acer-NEC-DLP-Link-TV-Projector-/281071009864?pt=US_Video_Glasses&hash=item4171234048&clk_rvr_id=458581386873

Just a thought.
post #262 of 798
Hi

I recently purchased 4 pairs of the newest True Depth glasses. I have watched three movies so far and not too happy. Mine have the noise issue mentioned in this thread as well. It is a hum coming from the right hand arm (opposite side from the button/charging port). If I cup my hand over that arm it gets louder. I also found them very uncomfortable with the standard nose pad, haven't tried the other supplied ones yet. After an hour the bridge of my nose was so sore I had to keep lifting them off my nose to finish the movie. I don't usually have an issue with glasses. I have a pair of Sumsung's top range active (RF type) glasses for my TV and they are WAY WAY more comfortable, too bad they aren't DLP. The True Depth are more like the bottom range Samsung ones that come free with the TV. I also had the sync drop quite a few times during Prometheus (at least 6-8 times) and Avatar (2-3 times). The red flash was not visible over the actual image but was visible in the black top and bottom of letter-boxed movie (Prometheus). Finally, they suffer from reflections in the peripheral vision. Even in darkened room with just the reflected light from the screen lighting the lounge room. No issue with brightness or colour on the W1070. Not sure about earlier comments regarding lack of detail in 3D, detail is actually one of the benefits of 3D!

The BenQ W1070 is a pretty awesome projector image wise (noise wise not so good). I work with $50k+ projectors and I'm very happy watching this little beast on my 80" screen from 2.5m away! I produce 3D content so use pretty much every common 3D system aside from Dolby. If my lounge allowed me a permanent pj set up I would go the passive set up and give up my pursuits of the "ultimate" active glasses.

Anyone else having the noise issue with the True Depth glasses other than KelvinK?

Cheers.
Edited by AVooDoo - 3/13/13 at 9:37pm
post #263 of 798
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVooDoo View Post

Hi

I recently purchased 4 pairs of the newest True Depth glasses. I have watched three movies so far and not too happy. Mine have the noise issue mentioned in this thread as well. It is a hum coming from the right hand arm (opposite side from the button/charging port). If I cup my hand over that arm it gets louder. I also found them very uncomfortable with the standard nose pad, haven't tried the other supplied ones yet. After an hour the bridge of my nose was so sore I had to keep lifting them off my nose to finish the movie. I don't usually have an issue with glasses. I have a pair of Sumsung's top range active (RF type) glasses for my TV and they are WAY WAY more comfortable, too bad they aren't DLP. The True Depth are more like the bottom range Samsung ones that come free with the TV. I also had the sync drop quite a few times during Prometheus (at least 6-8 times) and Avatar (2-3 times). The red flash was not visible over the actual image but was visible in the black top and bottom of letter-boxed movie (Prometheus). Finally, they suffer from reflections in the peripheral vision. Even in darkened room with just the reflected light from the screen lighting the lounge room. No issue with brightness or colour on the W1070. Not sure about earlier comments regarding lack of detail in 3D, detail is actually one of the benefits of 3D!

The BenQ W1070 is a pretty awesome projector image wise (noise wise not so good). I work with $50k+ projectors and I'm very happy watching this little beast on my 80" screen from 2.5m away! I produce 3D content so use pretty much every common 3D system aside from Dolby. If my lounge allowed me a permanent pj set up I would go the passive set up and give up my pursuits of the "ultimate" active glasses.

Anyone else having the noise issue with the True Depth glasses other than KelvinK?

Cheers.

Thanks AVooBoo for the report on the "noise issue" and welcome to the forum!

I've forwarded your findings to Daniel of TrueDepth. They can actually reproduce the noise issue when 2 DLP projectors (Optoma and Benq) are running at the same time. Definitely some sort of EMI interference is going on.

Daniel of TrueDepth indicated that they don't have enough data to understand and diagnose the issue so he encourages users who experience the noise issue to contact him directly: support @ truedepth3d . com
Edited by kelvink - 3/14/13 at 10:26am
post #264 of 798
Hi guys,

Received my 4 pairs of TrueDepth a week ago, works like a charm !
No noise problem, some rare desync when picture gets too bright but I guess it's due to the way DLP Link technology work. Perfect colors.

I'm thinking of buying 2 additionnal cheaper pairs (<$30) for me and my girlfriend when we have 4 guess at home.
What do you think would be the best cheap compromise ? (I'd prefer rechargeable glasses)

@kilimats: you liking IMAX 3D and disliking W1070 3D doesn't make much sense... IMAX 3D suffer from terrible ghosting (due to linear polarization) while DLP Link offer perfect 3D separation. And both technology suffer from the same loss of light. It also kinda strange to say movies become "choppy" when in 3D since the framerate doesn't change in both case (2D/3D), always 24fps (movies have never been shot at 60fps). And the 3D being "distracting" is very much the director's fault rather than the 3D technology itself; if you watch 3D movies by great directors such as Zemeckis you'll see how it can really serve the purpose of narration. How to Train your Dragon is a very good example too.
Actually Wreck it Ralph, Avatar, Transformer and Avenger are poor example of 3D. Ralph and Transformer don't use the 3D for storytelling, Avatar is almost flat 2D, and Avenger is postconverted from 2D to 3D. I didn't see Open Season.
But if you want to blow your mind with popping or deep 3D effects try 3D games, they are much suited for that than movies.
Edited by rldivide - 3/14/13 at 9:49am
post #265 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldivide View Post

Hi guys,

Received my 4 pairs of TrueDepth a week ago, works like a charm !
No noise problem, some rare desync when picture gets too bright but I guess it's due to the way DLP Link technology work. Perfect colors.

I'm thinking of buying 2 additionnal cheaper pairs (<$30) for me and my girlfriend when we have 4 guess at home.
What do you think would be the best cheap compromise ? (I'd prefer rechargeable glasses)

@kilimats: you liking IMAX 3D and disliking W1070 3D doesn't make much sense... IMAX 3D suffer from terrible ghosting (due to linear polarization) while DLP Link offer perfect 3D separation. And both technology suffer from the same loss of light. It also kinda strange to say movies become "choppy" when in 3D since the framerate doesn't change in both case (2D/3D), always 24fps (movies have never been shot at 60fps). And the 3D being "distracting" is very much the director's fault rather than the 3D technology itself; if you watch 3D movies by great directors such as Zemeckis you'll see how it can really serve the purpose of narration. How to Train your Dragon is a very good example too.
Actually Wreck it Ralph, Avatar, Transformer and Avenger are poor example of 3D. Ralph and Transformer don't use the 3D for storytelling, Avatar is almost flat 2D, and Avenger is postconverted from 2D to 3D. I didn't see Open Season.
But if you want to blow your mind with popping or deep 3D effects try 3D games, they are much suited for that than movies.

Looks like i need to play more with it, my review was rushed. I haven't played any 3D games yet and haven't watched good 3D movies like you pointed, back to the drawing board (though 24fps will hurt gameplay me think!)

ps: not sure why I enjoyed Imax, maybe because the glasses don't flicker ? and not sure why it looked choppy (you made a good point about the fps for movies not going higher than 24, probably a setting i missed)
Edited by kilimats - 3/14/13 at 10:59am
post #266 of 798
Rather than re-post my set up and review, I thought I'd share my post in the other BenQ1070 thread.

I discuss the Sainsonic 144hz glasses. Overall, I like them. Agree on the red-bleed, though it is very very faint in my experience. As for losing sync, I haven't had any problems with that at all. Left/Right eye sync is as easy as hitting the button. Not an issue, even for my 5 year old.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435626/benq-w1070-dlp-full-hd-3d-ready-with-lens-shift-for-1000/3060#post_23060689

So far, love the set up and what I've seen of 3D.
post #267 of 798
@kilimats
you can use 720p for games at 60fps per eye
post #268 of 798
Thank Kelvin

Daniel from TD has sent me a PM. I am planning on doing some more thorough testing before I advise him.

To update, the hum actually comes from both arms. The red sync flash that was visible in the black letterbox masking was actual to do with viewing angles. Bottom of my portable screen (which is actually 100" not 80") is about 200mm below eye level from my usual viewing position. To get rid of the red at bottom of screen I need to angle my glasses down so the arms of the glasses are about 20mm or so above my ears.

I'll post more once I do some more testing.

Cheers
post #269 of 798
Kilimats -

I know of a 'settings' issue that you need to address; replace those white curtains with dark ones!!! wink.gif jk......but seriously.
post #270 of 798
I have the Truedepth 3d glasses. They are pretty comfortable and I have been pretty happy with the performance. But then when I was watching Avatar 3D i observed lot of flickering. This kept on happening throughout the film. I have seen other few 3d movies without any flickering . Is it anything to do with the blue colour in the Avatar movie. I am confuse.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › Benq W1070 144Hz Compatible DLP-LINK 3D Glasses