or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › VT50 yellow-ish blob on display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VT50 yellow-ish blob on display - Page 3

post #61 of 964
I talked with our local authorized Panasonic repair center -- the person I spoke with hadn't heard of the issue on the 50-series before -- he said most likely it would be a panel that needs to be replaced, but also said that he was reluctant to do so because if it's some other underlying issue it would do the same on the new panel. I know someone in this thread had mentioned they got their panel replaced and 4 months later the issue is resurfacing.

I did notice that if I turned my settings down the blobs were much fainter (but still there) during the last hockey game I watched. I

I found the thread [URL=http://www.**************.com/plasma-displays/14065-strange-image-retention-panasonic-65vt50.html]http://www.**************.com/plasma-displays/14065-strange-image-retention-panasonic-65vt50.html[/URL] that talked about a voltage problem -- but that seems to be a different issue.

Anybody else have any suggestions I can run past the service tech? He is going to do some research and get in contact with Panasonic regarding the issue as well.
post #62 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwick537 View Post

I talked with our local authorized Panasonic repair center -- the person I spoke with hadn't heard of the issue on the 50-series before -- he said most likely it would be a panel that needs to be replaced, but also said that he was reluctant to do so because if it's some other underlying issue it would do the same on the new panel. I know someone in this thread had mentioned they got their panel replaced and 4 months later the issue is resurfacing.

I did notice that if I turned my settings down the blobs were much fainter (but still there) during the last hockey game I watched. I

I found the thread [URL=http://www.**************.com/plasma-displays/14065-strange-image-retention-panasonic-65vt50.html]http://www.**************.com/plasma-displays/14065-strange-image-retention-panasonic-65vt50.html[/URL] that talked about a voltage problem -- but that seems to be a different issue.

Anybody else have any suggestions I can run past the service tech? He is going to do some research and get in contact with Panasonic regarding the issue as well.

Thanks for the info and keep us updated please
post #63 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post

No. The voltages of concern are the internal circuitry voltages of the display, not the input voltage. Sorry for not being clear.

Thanks...that makes sense. Good input voltage never hurts, but faulty internal circuitry is probably what you describe..
post #64 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwick537 View Post

I talked with our local authorized Panasonic repair center -- the person I spoke with hadn't heard of the issue on the 50-series before -- he said most likely it would be a panel that needs to be replaced, but also said that he was reluctant to do so because if it's some other underlying issue it would do the same on the new panel. I know someone in this thread had mentioned they got their panel replaced and 4 months later the issue is resurfacing.

I did notice that if I turned my settings down the blobs were much fainter (but still there) during the last hockey game I watched. I

I found the thread [URL=http://www.**************.com/plasma-displays/14065-strange-image-retention-panasonic-65vt50.html]http://www.**************.com/plasma-displays/14065-strange-image-retention-panasonic-65vt50.html[/URL] that talked about a voltage problem -- but that seems to be a different issue.

Anybody else have any suggestions I can run past the service tech? He is going to do some research and get in contact with Panasonic regarding the issue as well.

Can you "fill in the blanks" for what the forum *****'d out? I'd like to read.
post #65 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Can you "fill in the blanks" for what the forum *****'d out? I'd like to read.

Guessing it is hdj?
post #66 of 964
Sorry, yes it is HDJ.
post #67 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwick537 View Post

Sorry, yes it is HDJ.

Thanks...just read through it, and while that may be a different issue, it may be something worth checking regarding our "blobs". I hadn't realized earlier that they blobs were not there at start up, but developed when the set was kept on longer. Checked it on mine and sure enough, no blobs at startup. Haven't determined how long it takes however.
post #68 of 964
I had a repair guy come out and take a look at my St50, he was also reluctant to fix the problem. He observed the globs and told me that the board would need to be replaced. He mentioned he would speak with the Panasonic rep and explain the problem he observed but it never went any further then that. The repair guy didn't sound convincing that much could be done so I told him I would use my warranty through best buy. I've had my St50 for 11 months and I started to notice the glob issue around 9 months. I also have that subtle vertical line on the right side of the panel that I learned to deal with. I noticed that same vertical line on a ST60 on display at BB which allows me to think the problem hasn't been fixed. Honestly I think there is something about how these panels are made and Panasonic doesn't care enough address. I am on the fence returning my ST50 for an ST60 if the same problem still exist in the 2013 models. I think Panasonic has a defect in some of the their panels and no one wants to admit it. I don't see buying anything higher then a ST60 if these panels have issues.
post #69 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post

I had a repair guy come out and take a look at my St50, he was also reluctant to fix the problem. He observed the globs and told me that the board would need to be replaced. He mentioned he would speak with the Panasonic rep and explain the problem he observed but it never went any further then that. The repair guy didn't sound convincing that much could be done so I told him I would use my warranty through best buy. I've had my St50 for 11 months and I started to notice the glob issue around 9 months. I also have that subtle vertical line on the right side of the panel that I learned to deal with. I noticed that same vertical line on a ST60 on display at BB which allows me to think the problem hasn't been fixed. Honestly I think there is something about how these panels are made and Panasonic doesn't care enough address. I am on the fence returning my ST50 for an ST60 if the same problem still exist in the 2013 models. I think Panasonic has a defect in some of the their panels and no one wants to admit it. I don't see buying anything higher then a ST60 if these panels have issues.

Havent seen the blob issue yet on my VT50 but do have the very subtle band on the right side, on that one I would call it a non issue and yes it has been reported on the 2013 models, If it get the blobs Ill be looking for resolution but don't care about the line I very rarely see it and it does not degrade my picture in the slightest.
post #70 of 964
Intersting that I fell upon this thread. About 3-4 weeks after we bought our display 65VT50 we started to notice the same yellowish blob towards the top left of our TV but only vaguely noticable on a white background. We are actually having this TV replaced with a new one this evening but because of burn-in. I plan on breaking it in with a combo of slides and varied content. I am hoping that leaving the TV on 24/7 for the 1st few weeks is going to kill it or even spawn this yellowish blob again. Btw, what does ABL mean?
post #71 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruiz View Post

Intersting that I fell upon this thread. About 3-4 weeks after we bought our display 65VT50 we started to notice the same yellowish blob towards the top left of our TV but only vaguely noticable on a white background. We are actually having this TV replaced with a new one this evening but because of burn-in. I plan on breaking it in with a combo of slides and varied content. I am hoping that leaving the TV on 24/7 for the 1st few weeks is going to kill it or even spawn this yellowish blob again. Btw, what does ABL mean?

Auto Brighness Limiter controls light output and can't be disabled, mostly not an issue except in very bright scenes or an all white background, all plasmas have to some extent.
post #72 of 964
All the posts I have seen regarding the VT50 blob, anyone see this on a 55" ? Just curious
post #73 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Auto Brighness Limiter controls light output and can't be disabled, mostly not an issue except in very bright scenes or an all white background, all plasmas have to some extent.

Ah ok, thanks! Yeah, like we said vaguely noticeable, and not really an issue for us.
post #74 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruiz View Post

Intersting that I fell upon this thread. About 3-4 weeks after we bought our display 65VT50 we started to notice the same yellowish blob towards the top left of our TV but only vaguely noticable on a white background. We are actually having this TV replaced with a new one this evening but because of burn-in. I plan on breaking it in with a combo of slides and varied content. I am hoping that leaving the TV on 24/7 for the 1st few weeks is going to kill it or even spawn this yellowish blob again. Btw, what does ABL mean?

How did the burn in happen for you, was it every day normal use, or watching content with static logos? Image retention on the these panels sucks. I am dealing with minor stubborn image retention now.
post #75 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post

How did the burn in happen for you, was it every day normal use, or watching content with static logos? Image retention on the these panels sucks. I am dealing with minor stubborn image retention now.

We bought the TV as a display model that had been displaying ESPN for roughly 6 months straight; not sure if it was every turned off or not, probably not. The specific ESPN channel was sports highlights so there were tickers/banners on the left hand side and bottom of the TV.
post #76 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruiz View Post

We bought the TV as a display model that had been displaying ESPN for roughly 6 months straight; not sure if it was every turned off or not, probably not. The specific ESPN channel was sports highlights so there were tickers/banners on the left hand side and bottom of the TV.

You didn't notice the burn in before you purchased the set?
post #77 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post

You didn't notice the burn in before you purchased the set?

No, it was not noticable then and I had no knowledge of what burn in was or how it affected the TV. Although I quickly learned what it really was.
post #78 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruiz View Post

No, it was not noticable then and I had no knowledge of what burn in was or how it affected the TV. Although I quickly learned what it really was.

Be careful on your new set, because the panny's are easily prone to image retention. I wouldn't watch anything with solid static logos for no more then 20 mins.
post #79 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post

Be careful on your new set, because the panny's are easily prone to image retention. I wouldn't watch anything with solid static logos for no more then 20 mins.

Thanks, I'm well aware now. This is one of main reasons why I plan on running slides for the first week or so.
post #80 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruiz View Post

Thanks, I'm well aware now. This is one of main reasons why I plan on running slides for the first week or so.

Honestly that is a little extreme, use conservative settings the first 200 hours or so vary the content you will be fine. After that just watch it like any other tv honestly, as I have said many times I have absolutely no IR issues and I watch plenty of content with static logos, tickers etc. The slides are good for getting ready for a calibration but do nothing to mitigate IR.
post #81 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Honestly that is a little extreme, use conservative settings the first 200 hours or so vary the content you will be fine. After that just watch it like any other tv honestly, as I have said many times I have absolutely no IR issues and I watch plenty of content with static logos, tickers etc. The slides are good for getting ready for a calibration but do nothing to mitigate IR.

I am planning on having a pro cal come in the next 2 weeks or so. We will be running slides while we are not home and varied content when we are.

Is there a way to set a cable box to show full screen all the time? Sometimes there's content that the format shows black bars on the sides and top and bottom, sometimes all around like a picture frame. We have Comcast if that helps and the SetTop Box is a Motorola.
Edited by rjruiz - 6/17/13 at 11:34am
post #82 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruiz View Post

I am planning on having a pro cal come in the next 2 weeks or so. We will be running slides while we are not home and varied content when we are.

Is there a way to set a cable box to show full screen all the time? Sometimes there's content that the format shows black bars on the sides and top and bottom, sometimes all around like a picture frame. We have Comcast if that helps and the SetTop Box is a Motorola.

Yeah there should be stretch setting on the cable box, do you watch alot of 4:3 content ? Commercials are nothign to worry about, my comment was really directed at the caution of not watching static logos for more than 20 minutes, total overkill imo
post #83 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Yeah there should be stretch setting on the cable box, do you watch alot of 4:3 content ? Commercials are nothign to worry about, my comment was really directed at the caution of not watching static logos for more than 20 minutes, total overkill imo

No problem. Thanks I'll look for that setting when I get home. Not really, just watching our Nats loose and mostly full HD content. Just those commercials sometimes, but rare.
post #84 of 964
Here are two more discussions about the voltages: (Link 1, Link 2).
post #85 of 964
Hi,

Just wanted to update the thread -- after reading a few forum threads and the articles about voltages, I decided to try switching my VSUS from high to low in the service menu. In addition, I tried some different calibration settings (the previous had contrast at 96, these at 81). Nothing else was changed and I watched the Stanley Cup Playoffs last night (Go Blackhawks!) where the yellow blobs were most noticable on prior viewings.

Not sure if it was the calibration settings or the VSUS change, but the blobs were greatly diminished -- to the point where if I didn't know they had been there before, I wouldn't have ever noticed them. To me, hockey is where I'll notice it the most, so overall I'd say this fix worked for me. I'll be sure to watch the next game on Saturday night with the same settings to see if I get the same results (fingers crossed). I couldn't see the blobs during commericals where I had normally seen them either -- on light grey or blue colored backgrounds.

Perhaps others with the same issue should try the VSUS switch to see if they notice any improvement. I'm still going to have a tech come look at the panel to see what they say -- it's obviously defective -- but at least not all hope is lost if Panasonic won't do anything.
post #86 of 964
Since I'm having my unit calibrated I probably should leave all service menu adjustments to Chad B
post #87 of 964
Thanks for the info.
post #88 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwick537 View Post

Hi,

Just wanted to update the thread -- after reading a few forum threads and the articles about voltages, I decided to try switching my VSUS from high to low in the service menu. In addition, I tried some different calibration settings (the previous had contrast at 96, these at 81). Nothing else was changed and I watched the Stanley Cup Playoffs last night (Go Blackhawks!) where the yellow blobs were most noticable on prior viewings.

Not sure if it was the calibration settings or the VSUS change, but the blobs were greatly diminished -- to the point where if I didn't know they had been there before, I wouldn't have ever noticed them. To me, hockey is where I'll notice it the most, so overall I'd say this fix worked for me. I'll be sure to watch the next game on Saturday night with the same settings to see if I get the same results (fingers crossed). I couldn't see the blobs during commericals where I had normally seen them either -- on light grey or blue colored backgrounds.

Perhaps others with the same issue should try the VSUS switch to see if they notice any improvement. I'm still going to have a tech come look at the panel to see what they say -- it's obviously defective -- but at least not all hope is lost if Panasonic won't do anything.

While this sounds very scary, how does one switch the VSUS? I'm assuming one can switch it then switch back with no worries. I'll research online but a guide would be helpful. I've been in the service menu but only for checking panel age and cycles.

Worth a try.
post #89 of 964
It's in the service menu. VSUS HIGH or LOW.
post #90 of 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post

It's in the service menu. VSUS HIGH or LOW.

Found it. Mine was already on Low, and since that what the poster changed TO, I guess I'll leave it alone!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › VT50 yellow-ish blob on display